• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 unveil event will have PC and PS4 versions, allow lots of YouTuber gameplay

I wonder why I wasn't invited...

Oh wait, I only have 47 subscribers :p

I'm really looking forward to this reveal. Possibly more than E3. OK, maybe not as much as E3 but still!

They're going to unveil their Activision Launcher there, I can see it. They're big enough and Destiny a good enough fit for PC that they can get away with not using Steam.

AaronMT86

I really do hope the PC port will be good. Which third party studio is working on it again? Vicarious Visions? High Moon Studios?

They're going to unveil their Activision Launcher there, I can see it. They're big enough and Destiny a good enough fit for PC that they can get away with not using Steam.

I was thinking the same thing. But I don't think it will be an Activision launcher, I think either Bungie will have their own launcher or, perhaps less likely, they'll use Battle.net.

AaronMT86

I was thinking the same thing. But I don't think it will be an Activision launcher, I think either Bungie will have their own launcher or, perhaps less likely, they'll use Battle.net.

If it were either they would be already available for pre-order now. Since there's no gameplay media yet it's not acceptable to be on Steam for pre-order yet.

Bungie's been pretty cool with YouTubers.

which helps since I've seen more compelling story and lore from Destiny lore videos than actual content from Bungie.

EvB

I watched the video and updated the OP a bit to reflect that this is apparently quite a long keynote.

They have a marketing deal with Sony, so that would be odd, but I guess not impossible.

Phil Spencer alluded that the only thing that will stop developers using Scorpio to show off their games will be marketing deals. I certainly hope that is what he meant

Bry0

I highly doubt we will see a non-blizzard game on battle.net. I'm guessing we will see bungie making a launcher for the game like you said. If it was an activision launcher then I don't think we would have pre orders for call of duty on steam already.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

04282017_stickers_shembs6d.png

Um, Bungie, there is a distinct lack of The Queen here.

Something like Infinity.net v2.0 - the rebirth? Very possible if Activision is truly serious about the Esports plans they want to create with their brands. EA could be considered a "model" of what you can do with your own resources if you are willing to "tough it out", so yeah, there is a chance.

EDIT: Don't imagine that, instead see Bry0's post about pre orders on Steam for WWII COD. So that idea is moot.

Syf

Banned
Very hyped to see this. I liked Destiny but having to use a controller turned me off. Destiny 2 could be the game to replace WoW for my MMO fix with it now being on PC.

Unfortunately I'll be in Japan when this happens lol

Kyne

I thought I already saw that pre-orders on PC was for a Steam Key.

This event is going to be massive. They are footing the bill to fly out people from all over the world and covering all of the charges.

Deku Tree

So is Destiny gonna be allowed to have extra effects on PC? Is Scorpio gonna be allowed to run better than PS4 Pro? Or does a marketing deal with Sony require that PS4 Pro runs has all the effects as on PC and runs at least as good as on Scorpio?

So is Destiny gonna be allowed to have extra effects on PC? Is Scorpio gonna be allowed to run better than PS4 Pro? Or does a marketing deal with Sony require that PS4 Pro runs has all the effects as on PC and runs at least as good as on Scorpio?

Who knows? I think at the very least the PC version will have better image quality settings. Hopefully support for higher framerates as well.

Marketing deals in the past haven't seemed to impact console performance at all. I remember quite a few games with Xbox marketing deals that ended up looking or performing better on PS4, for example. However, with Destiny 1, Bungie wanted graphical and performance parity between the PS4 and Xbox One versions. Maybe their stance will be the same with Destiny 2.
The queen is
dead
So is Oryx, though...

Who knows? I think at the very least the PC version will have better image quality settings. Hopefully support for higher framerates as well.

Marketing deals in the past haven't seemed to impact console performance at all. I remember quite a few games with Xbox marketing deals that ended up looking or performing better on PS4, for example. However, with Destiny 1, Bungie wanted graphical and performance parity between the PS4 and Xbox One versions. Maybe their stance will be the same with Destiny 2.

They will also want the performance to be similar between the PS4 and Pro, Xbone and Scorpio.

Kyne

So is her brother and he's in that image.

"He participated in the Battle of Saturn and is the only known survivor, as his ship crashed on Mars. However, his survival was unknown at the time, as control of the Crows passed to Variks. Uldren suspected that his sister survived the battle, as he could still sense her.[citation needed] He then spent the rest of the Taken War and throughout the SIVA Crisis to search for her, evading everyone including his own followers. His last known report indicated he disguised himself as a Fallen and allowed himself to be captured in order to find the Kell of Kings and replace it in preparing for a coming war. He also indicated that Mara approved of what he was up to."

I'm sure he's going to make an appearance during the Cabal war in Destiny 2.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Looking back at destiny 1 i believe Bungie will aim for parity between consoles again.

I agree. I believe the PC version is going to "disappoint" a lot of people because they will be expecting it to eclipse the PS4 Pro version.

Perhaps I'm being overly negative but given the incredibly strong marketing partnership between Activision and Sony over Destiny, I don't believe you'll see anything on PC that could potentially make PS4 owners say, "Damn, I should get this on PC instead."

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
"He participated in the Battle of Saturn and is the only known survivor, as his ship crashed on Mars. However, his survival was unknown at the time, as control of the Crows passed to Variks. Uldren suspected that his sister survived the battle, as he could still sense her.[citation needed] He then spent the rest of the Taken War and throughout the SIVA Crisis to search for her, evading everyone including his own followers. His last known report indicated he disguised himself as a Fallen and allowed himself to be captured in order to find the Kell of Kings and replace it in preparing for a coming war. He also indicated that Mara approved of what he was up to."

I'm sure he's going to make an appearance during the Cabal war in Destiny 2.

He's not tho. He's hiding out with the Fallen.

Given the newest grimoires, I'd say there's about a 90%+ chance he's how they're adding playable Fallen to the game.

I agree. I believe the PC version is going to "disappoint" a lot of people because they will be expecting it to eclipse the PS4 Pro version.

Perhaps I'm being overly negative but given the incredibly strong marketing partnership between Activision and Sony over Destiny, I don't believe you'll see anything on PC that could potentially make PS4 owners say, "Damn, I should get this on PC instead."

As long as PlayStation has year-long exclusive content, I think most people will play on that platform for FOMO (and also because it has such a large install base)

I plan on playing it on PC and PS4, but I only have so much free time, so I'll probably end up playing whichever version is better most of the time. Although as a fledgling YouTuber, maybe I should prioritize playing the PC version since it would be easier to capture and edit high quality footage that way? I dunno.

60 fps and KB+M is enough for me, it can be identical to PS4 Pro otherwise.

FiraB

Banned
Anyone else afraid that the platforming sections are going to be hell on kb+m? Maybe I just need to git gud... lol

Nah I've been using a cronus emulating to a K&M for a long time, outside pvp I rarely touch my controller when playing (rarely meaning sparrow racing, was impossible on K&M).

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Depends on what Bungie's technical goals are and how they get there.

The first game looks very similar across current and last gen consoles, PS4 and Xbox One are identical while resolution and shadows are the only real difference with 360/PS3. At the minimum, I expect Destiny 2 to support higher resolutions and framerates on PC.

Top Bottom