• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2's biggest core change? "Probably the inclusion of a story," says Bungie

ZeoVGM

Banned

Destiny was supposed to have been a 10 year journey, a new kind of game, a special game. Instead, D1 was a cobbled together perma-crunch game that they are now retconing, including destroying player characters. The hype and sales of D2 are not going to be on the same level as D1 because almost nobody expects D2 to be a groundbreaking 10 year journey.

lol what is this alternate reality?

Destiny 2 hype is insane. And it will likely end up being the biggest launch this year, if not of this generation.

Two Words

Destiny 2 hype is insane. And it will likely end up being the biggest launch this year, if not of this generation.
Destiny 2 will certainly have a big launch, but I don't think it's guaranteed to maintain its sales. There is a strong chance that a significant amount of the playerbase will grow tired of its format since it isn't making significant changes.

Destiny was supposed to have been a 10 year journey, a new kind of game, a special game. Instead, D1 was a cobbled together perma-crunch game that they are now retconing, including destroying player characters. The hype and sales of D2 are not going to be on the same level as D1 because almost nobody expects D2 to be a groundbreaking 10 year journey.

Yeah... no. The 10 year journey was not about Destiny 1, but Destiny 1,2,3 + expansions...

ZeoVGM

Banned
Destiny 2 will certainly have a big launch, but I don't think it's guaranteed to maintain its sales. There is a strong chance that a significant amount of the playerbase will grow tired of its format since it isn't making significant changes.

Nah. Destiny 2 is more Destiny, which is what most fans want.

Trace

Banned

Yea just like people are tired of Destiny 1 which is why it has 500k+ daily average players.

Two Words we know you don't like Destiny and you obviously want Destiny 2 to fail because it doesn't fulfill what you want out of it, but it's going to be one of the biggest games of this generation just like Destiny 1 was, if not bigger.

Jblanks

Because unlike the first one this one seemingly didn't go through development hell?

Didn't they change roles internally like a year ago, making Luke the lead now? And if they didn't go through any changes then what about those Kotaku leaks last September-ish, not a lot seems to be in the game at launch.

Destiny 2's biggest core change: 2

*runs away

09321cc856d70f719b7d97dbcc6afccb.png

Sorry Luke, I don't believe you.

The originally Destiny was pitched to us as having an epic story that was apparently scrapped, and we ended up paying extra for content that was intended to be in the game at launch. I bought the digital deluxe edition of the first game and was very disappointed by the first two expansion packs that I had already paid for. I'm sitting this one out.

Mockerre

They already shot themselves in the foot with the first trailer and mocking tone.

Listen how everybody's calling their 'great bad' Gary and watch closely at the irritated response from Luke and the staff 'it's not Gary, it's Gaul and you'll learn to respect him'. Nope, not after that trailer, Luke.

joe_zazen

I'll take that bet.

I'm sure it will sell fine, it is a first person shooter with a big AD budget. But the hype around D1 was something else because it was a mystery with a bunch of promises from ''the legendary makers of Halo". Now its just the next game from the makers of Destiny. I suppose the inclusion of PC into the mix might increase sales, but no way is this game going to push console sales like D1 or be the biggest game of the year, let alone generation.

I mean this thread is < 2 pages, I bet D1 threads were way more active pre-launch. D2 buzz seems to be: yep, it is More Destiny allright.

Lasty95

I'll take that bet.

I'm sure it will sell fine, it is a first person shooter with a big AD budget. But the hype around D1 was something else because it was a mystery with a bunch of promises from ''the legendary makers of Halo". Now its just the next game from the makers of Destiny. I suppose the inclusion of PC into the mix might increase sales, but no way is this game going to push console sales like D1 or be the biggest game of the year, let alone generation.

I mean this thread is < 2 pages, I bet D1 threads were way more active pre-launch. D2 buzz seems to be: yep, it is More Destiny allright.

Jeebus, if that's how you really see it then you've simply not been paying attention.

Destiny is about as big as it gets.

Jeebus, if that's how you really see it then you've simply not been paying attention.

Destiny is about as big as it gets.

I'm not sure. I got the collector's edition last time round but I'm sitting this one out. I just can't see any improvement or iteration in the current videos.

If it's more of the same then I'll try something new. I felt really burnt by the story last time round and them promising they will do better this time round sounds hollow.

MrS

Banned
Honestly couldn't care less about story. Great games don't need to shove story down your throat to be enjoyable (i.e. Quake, Nex Machina, Resogun, Souls, Bloodborne). Destiny was no different because the gameplay loop was fun. As long as the raids, strikes and PVP are enjoyable to play, I'll invest a lot of time in D2.

Midas

I'm not sure. I got the collector's edition last time round but I'm sitting this one out. I just can't see any improvement or iteration in the current videos.

If it's more of the same then I'll try something new. I felt really burnt by the story last time round and them promising they will do better this time round sounds hollow.

When did you stop playing?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
That's great, a good story will make the leveling experience much more enjoyable and not just something you have to do.

As has been said before, the Destiny community wants more of the same. I know I certainly do. I just want much much more, not just an expansion with 5 story missions and 1 strike to run the same endgame i already did twice.

I'm not sure why anyone expected massive systemic changes between D1 and D2.

Kibe

Neo Member
My biggest complaint with what we've seen of D2 so far is that Bungie isn't taking any risks or expanding upon the universe at all. And before I delve into this, let me say that I make this critique as a huge fan and someone that has put thousands of hours into Destiny. I love the game in all aspects.

Bungie has addressed many of the bread and butter criticisms of Destiny. They're adding a more structured story, they're adding Guided Games to help people access end game content, the actual engine has been overhauled and were expecting content to be produced and released at a much steadier pace, the weapon system has been rehauled to stop Crucible from being all about Sniper Rifles and Shotguns...these things are all moves in the right direction. But they haven't taken any major steps forward.

I'm absolutely ok with no fourth class being added. I'm ok with no dedicated servers. I'm ok without 60 frames per second. What I'm disappointed in is that the sandbox of Destiny isn't really expanding. We haven't seen any new major threats or enemies. We haven't seen hints at some of the deeper ends of the mysterious and interesting lore being explored such as the Ahankara or The Nine. Then there's the removal of the darkness as a real force and turned into a catch all term.

We haven't seen the gameplay expanded. I was really expecting a Division dark zone type zone where it would be a free for all where all guardians can fight among themselves and try to extract loot or struggle for control of the territory. I was hoping maybe we'd get ship combat, if only for part of the campaign or during loading screens. Something.

So far we haven't seen any of this. It's entirely possible that Bungie is keeping new features secret for now or working on them to be added later. After all, Destiny is a journey and a service that will be expanded for years to come. I'm just slightly disappointed that were not really seeing an expansion of content, features or topics within the game. It feels like a few steps forward and a few steps back for long time players of Destiny. Will I be there? Absolutely. This is easily my most anticipated game. I'd just like to see Bungie channel more of the passion and talent they have into expanding Destiny.

Considering Destiny is supposed to be a 10-year thing, and we're already in year 3, there are still 3 games to come out (including D2).

So perhaps after Destiny 4 reaches it's "ending" in year 10, we might see what Bungie has to offer in terms of universe, since they won't be tied to Activision.

Destiny 1 was a failure in terms of story because of the problems they had in development, maybe Destiny 2 is here to finally get things going.

Lasty95

The idea that D1's story as a failure is way, way overplayed,

Just look at the adoring lore community that exists right now.

Plus, beyond the basic set up (which gives plenty of solid context for what you're doing) there was some really good foreshadowing with things like the early sword of Crota missions, the Dark Below and then the Taken King.

What D1 really lacked was a campaign, and I think that's largely what people mean when they say it had no story. It had no "story mode".

D2's clearly addressing that.

kiguel182

I also feel that every story post D1 has been a side story.

I wish they went back to the big Darkness conflict but clearly it isn't happening. Can't help but feel like every other story is just filler until they explore something bigger.

The idea that D1's story as a failure is way, way overplayed,

Just look at the adoring lore community that exists right now.

Plus, beyond the basic set up (which gives plenty of solid context for what you're doing) there was some really good foreshadowing with things like the early sword of Crota missions, the Dark Below and then the Taken King.

What D1 really lacked was a campaign, and I think that's largely what people mean when they say it had no story. It had no "story mode".

D2's clearly addressing that.

lore =/= story

Take Skyrim for example. The lore in The Elder Scrolls games is pretty interesting but the main story of that game is utter garbage.

Falchion

I might eventually get this just to blow through the story and do all the missions but not take all the time to grind and try to get all the weapons and stuff like I did the first 2 years of Destiny.

Top Bottom