• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny Alpha Thread: Impressions from the wild [Code Begging=ban]

Status
Not open for further replies.
MIcNxm6.png

Official FAQ

What is the First Look Alpha? Once I’m in the First Look Alpha, what should I expect?

Welcome to the Destiny First Look Alpha, a small sampling of activities you'll find in the final experience. Destiny is an action game that combines the campaign story, cooperative, and competitive modes you expect, with in-depth character creation and a huge variety of weapons, armor, and combat abilities. Create a character. Take it into every mode. Venture out into the world alone, or play with friends in search of action and adventure.

The Destiny First Look Alpha is not final. Players may experience bugs and incomplete features. Thanks for helping us pave the way to Beta, and Destiny’s launch on September 9th, 2014. Have fun!

When is the First Look Alpha?

We will begin delivering codes @12 Noon PST on Thursday, June 12th. The First Look Alpha will run until 11:59 PM PST, Sunday, June 15th

How do I get a First Look Alpha code?

To get access to the First Look Alpha, visit greatnessawaits.com/destiny and submit your PSN ID to be entered for a chance to receive a code

When will I know if I’m in the First Look Alpha?

Consumers selected to participate in the Alpha will receive their alpha code via an on-console message and an e-mail sent to the e-mail address associated with the PSN ID entered. Alpha codes will be delivered beginning @ 12 Noon PST.

Do I need PS+ to play the First Look Alpha?

Yes.

What if I pre-ordered? Is this the BETA?

No, this isn’t the BETA. Beta begins on July 17th, 2014 on PS4™ system (with PlayStation Plus) and PS3™ system. It will feature more content and run for a longer period of time than the First Look Alpha.

I found out I made it into the First Look Alpha but am having trouble redeeming my code, who do I contact?

United States: Contact Sony Customer Service at 1-800-345-SONY Mon - Sun, 6:00AM - 10:00PM Pacific.
Other countries: http://faq.en.playstation.com/app/a...TMxMjgwMTkwOC9zaWQvd2Y3dTUqQWs=/locale/en_GB/

I’ve been waiting for an e-mail with my code but have not yet received an e-mail from PlayStation. What do I do?

Some email providers may block emails in an effort to reduce unwanted “spam” email. If your email inbox utilizes a spam or junk folder, please check it to determine whether or not your verification email has been inappropriately categorized.

Bungie has given me the go ahead to finally start talking about my experiences with Destiny. Because Bungie and the people that work there are fantastically amazing, I was able to download the Alpha last week and have had ample time with it. Feels great to be finally able to say something about it.

Here’s what the Alpha includes:

• Character customization
  • Levels for characters only available for 4-8. After that you can't level up.
  • Free Roam: Old Russia, Earth
  • Multiplayer: Two maps (One on Earth, one on Luna) and one gametype (Conquest)
  • Story: One mission, Old Russia, Earth
  • Strike: Sepiks Prime; this was the strike mission you saw in May. Two different difficulties, “Brave” and “Legend”. Old Russia, Earth
  • The Tower
I made this thread so I and others on GAF can talk about our experiences with Destiny. And,e eventually, for those who get to play it to say what they think. Personally, I’ve really enjoyed my time with it.

The moment I fell in love with the game, I was exploring Old Russia in free-roam mode. In the distance I saw a building with a satellite dish on its roof. The structure looked interesting, so I decided to head there. I passed through a graveyard of rusted airplanes from another time, fighting small groups of Fallen here and there.

Once I reached the satellite’s home, I ventured carefully: Inside was dark, and a flashlight was my only source of steady, reliable light. After trespassing in what may have once been restricted areas, climbing a level or two, I came across a large room…with Fallen and Hive fighting each other, and it was a spectacle to behold. I decided to let them fight it out a little before I gunned the rest down; that strategy is always pretty safe, and you never know what may lie around the next corner in Destiny.

After the fight, I say I was rewarded. Not with any loot, mind you, but with a wonderful, beautiful, inside view of the satellite’s decayed housing with light pouring in from the cold outside.

I don’t want to make this a wall-of-text impression OP – the skybox for The Tower is heavenly, let me get that in there! – because I think it’ll be more efficient, interesting, and easier to read, to answer GAFers’ questions.

And just in case: proof I’ve played (on my couch at the moment and too lazy to get up): http://i.imgur.com/4BEwGEl.jpg

Ask away!

(Thanks to VisceralBowl for the banner)

I am jealous :). So I was wondering, how entwined with the single player does competitive modes feel?

How is the balance between skill and gear?

Mix

Got a code to get in on Thursday, how've you liked it so far, Dax? What, besides the awesome description of the satellite tower, have you enjoyed the most? Is it what you've expected or dreamed of?

What system are you playing on?
It's only available on the PS4.
How much lens flare?
Just enough. A good amount.
Please inform us about PvP.
What do you want to know? As I said in the OP, there's two maps featuring one gametype; a territories-like mode.
How goddamn good is Destiny, guys?
It's pretty good. I have a lot of fun.
IS loot in the Alpha ? How much differentiation is there amongst the weapons ?
There's loot in the Alpha, yes. From enemies and crates you find.

zlatko

Banned
I need to know from the other thread:

EVERYTHING ABOUT COMPETITIVE MP!!!

Map sizes? Load outs, or can you use your own gear ? Abilities in it? 3 v 3, 4 v4, etc ? How does matchmaking work? Wait times to get into match ? Can you join with a friend before going to look for a MP match? Is competitive MP a menu option to go to, or is it "events" around the world that spawn instead?

Tell us all!

ElRenoRaven

Ok So first thing. Yes there is loot in the game. It varies. A lot of it is ammo but you get get some that you take to a vendor to be decoded and it gives a random piece of armor for that type.

Now PVP.

It's fun as hell. Right now there is one mode and 2 maps. One is set in Old Russia and the other on the Moon. The moon map does have vehicles on it. The PVP mode is called The Crucible and the gametype plays a lot like territories from Halo.

The players health and weapon damage are balanced out so that it doesn't matter your level. You gain points by holding territories, capturing them, and by killing your opponents. It plays a lot like Halo of old with a touch of COD and a splash of Shadowrun thanks to the special attacks. The moon maps are a good size. Thanks to the vehicles in the moon map and the ability to call in your personal transport that makes it feel like the right size.

What's the personalization like?
It's nothing too deep, but then again I don't need anything complex. It gets the job done. I'm satisfied.
Got a code to get in on Thursday, how've you liked it so far, Dax? What, besides the awesome description of the satellite tower, have you enjoyed the most? Is it what you've expected or dreamed of?
Destiny is at its best in free-roam mode, in my opinion. The environments are absolutely wonderful to explore.

I didn't know what Destiny was, so I didn't know what to expect. I like it for the most part.

Trickster

[

After the fight, I say I was rewarded. Not with any loot, mind you, but with a wonderful, beautiful, inside view of the satellite’s decayed housing with light pouring in from the cold outside.

How indicative is this of the "rewards" for exploring things in the world? Because while a nice view, or a chest with glimmer is nice. I Have personally been hoping very much that exploration would lead to stuff like interesting quests ( not those beacon quests that I saw in the leaked alpha footage ), Video/text logs that give insight into the world and place you're exploring, or new items.

So please tell me that some of that stuff is also part of the game when exploring

B00TE

How's the gun play? Does it feel good to shoot things, do your attacks feel like they have a good amount of impact to them, etc.

Ok So first thing. Yes there is loot in the game. It varies. A lot of it is ammo but you get get some that you take to a vendor to be decoded and it gives a random piece of armor for that type.

Now PVP.

It's fun as hell. Right now there is one mode and 2 maps. One is set in Old Russia and the other on the Moon. The moon map does have vehicles on it. The PVP mode is called The Crucible and the gametype plays a lot like territories from Halo.

The players health and weapon damage are balanced out so that it doesn't matter your level. You gain points by holding territories, capturing them, and by killing your opponents. It plays a lot like Halo of old with a touch of COD and a splash of Shadowrun thanks to the special attacks.

YES! thank you so much!

JackEtc

Everyone who's in the alpha early, we should add eachother!

My PSN is Jaklap1, I'll be home in 2 hours and I'm getting on right away.

Add me and let me know you're from GAF/Destiny!

Evo X

I'll be in the alpha in 2 days. If anyone wants to play together, send me a FR!

My PSN ID is DemonFang343.

How is everything in the world connected? Can I hop on a Sparrow and go from a story campaign mission and maybe do a quest I got in the Tower in another part of that planet? Is it all just menus? How about going to a strike? Do just meet my friends in front of the Strike entrance (meeting stone?)? Do I select this stuff from a menu?

Does loot drop everywhere like in Diablo or is it more like, just bosses drop the good stuff, like in WoW?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom