• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny Alpha Thread: Impressions from the wild [Code Begging=ban]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kud Dukan

Watching some of the footage that's gone up, and all these videos are way better than the official ones we've seen. I was excited before, but now I'm hyped.

....multiplayer modes?

Well, I guess I'm wrong and I don't really know what kind of game this is supposed to be.

Everything I saw made me think it was an online Borderlands style game with a some persistence.

How indicative is this of the "rewards" for exploring things in the world? Because while a nice view, or a chest with glimmer is nice. I Have personally been hoping very much that exploration would lead to stuff like interesting quests ( not those beacon quests that I saw in the leaked alpha footage ), Video/text logs that give insight into the world and place you're exploring, or new items.

So please tell me that some of that stuff is also part of the game when exploring
I haven't seen anything like video/text logs, but that doesn't mean they're not in there. The beacon quests can be a lot of fun (one beacon quest in the Alpha activates the presentation you guys saw at Sony's PS4 reveal last May).

There are chests and enemies with items as you explore.
How's the gun play? Does it feel good to shoot things, do your attacks feel like they have a good amount of impact to them, etc.
Yes, it feels great to shoot things. Not all things – some enemies are bullet sponges – but most things. It feels great to knife things most of all. Especially when you throw your knife!
Two questions:

1) Why no alpha love for a Bungie lovin mod?
2) What color/brand toe nail polish is that?
1) I don't know but you're an awesome moderator!
2) OPI purple nail polish.

zlatko

Banned
....multiplayer modes?

Well, I guess I'm wrong and I don't really know what kind of game this is supposed to be.

Everything I saw made me think it was an online Borderlands style game with a some persistence.

Here is the best way to describe it, because it encompasses several genres and games that it is akin to.

Halo
Borderlands
Diablo
Shadowrun
WoW

Those are the ones I've seen. You have loot, character progression, co-op focus, story stuff, events like a MMO, and competitive MP ala Halo.

Hope that helps. watch lots of vids. :)

Evil Beaver

Character creation video please. Also, how close to Cortana can you make your character?

Good to know we can finally talk about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kGrQ5-QOtQ

0McHOUj.jpg

How is multiplayer balanced given that the players will have different progression levels? I was watching some footage of a level 5 player taking on a couple of level 8 players and was just wondering exactly what disadvantages the lower level player has to overcome, if any.

Is there any balancing in effect? What are the significant differences between say, a level 5 player and a level 10 one? More hit points? More damage? How much of that applies to competitive?

And, along similar lines. If I have a level 12 player and my friend has just started at level 1, whats the dynamic if we group up? Will the campaign levels of strike missions balance to my level? Average it out? Should we just not group up with that much of a level difference?

RulkezX

....multiplayer modes?

There's a lot of confusion here, and we haven't done the best job ever of explaining the game or its structure.

I'm Luke, and I'm one of the lead designers on Destiny.

First, Destiny is structured into Activities.

We've attempted to build a suite of activities that can suit a variety of moods (I want something challenging! I want to chill out with my friends! I want to see where the story goes next! I want to shoot other players!, I want the game to be a cruel dominatrix! et cetera)

These activities come in a bunch of flavors:
  • Story missions - soloable activities (you can still play them in groups of up to 3!), often with ties to the main story arc of Destiny (the campaign). These activities appear at various Levels (numerical, relative to the player) and choosing a higher level (relative to you) means you're opting in for some additional challenge.
  • Strikes - 3 player activities, with bosses and loot at the end. Their goal is a highly replayable activity that will - at higher levels - lead you into the loot game.
  • Explore - cruise around the surface of a planet in Fireteams of up to 3, taking odd jobs and tasks for the City. You can find minerals and resources out in the world that you'll have some use for as you find weapons in Destiny that you want to stick with. This is a lower intensity activity
  • Raids - 6 player, cooperative required, communication required gameplay. High challenge. We haven't talked much about this yet and I'm not going start that conversation here on NeoGAF
  • Multiplayer This is for the "shoot other players" mood.

Now, the second part is how the world has been built.

We've structured Destiny's world to have places where you will probably intersect with other players, and places where you won't. We're not going to have players drop into the climax of a mission, but the common landing zones for a given planet? That seems like a great place to see other players running amok in the world.

EDIT: Regardless of what activity you're playing (PVP aside), you'll see players on their own activities, i.e., players beginning a Strike might see a guy collecting Relic Iron on Mars, and a Public Event begins and suddenly everyone is distracted to take down a key Cabal target for a chance at powerful gear and materials to upgrade your best weapons and armor.

A bunch of folks are playing the Alpha now and we're already seeing all kinds of opportunities for places to improve Destiny. I have no doubt that in the Public Beta, we will learn even more from your feedback and experiences.

I'm not going to get into any of the recurring activities or gearing or class stuff today, but I imagine we'll start to try and explain stuff more soon.

B00TE

...Man I really hope I get into that alpha now. The beta is still soon, but oh my god, I need to get a feel for this game. The hype is spiking up at alarming rates, where there was once nothing.

I find this post to be a tad putrid. You know why some people don't game? Because they don't think they're good enough to play. Who would be interested in watching a pro play it? Yuck. That stinks.

Have regular people play the game. You'll get more sales.

Nothing you have said makes any fucking sense.

How is multiplayer balanced given that the players will have different progression levels? I was watching some footage of a level 5 player taking on a couple of level 8 players and was just wondering exactly what disadvantages the lower level player has to overcome, if any.

Is there any balancing in effect? What are the significant differences between say, a level 5 player and a level 10 one? More hit points? More damage? How much of that applies to competitive?

And, along similar lines. If I have a level 12 player and my friend has just started at level 1, whats the dynamic if we group up? Will the campaign levels of strike missions balance to my level? Average it out? Should we just not group up with that much of a level difference?

Pretty much my questions exactly.

What happens when you die?

You respawn. The timer is different based on the game mode you're in. I don't remember the exact times but the time is shortest when you are free roaming or in the tower. In the strikes, it takes a lot longer. You can be revived by a buddy in these modes. If you aren't revived by a buddy in the strike modes, you respawn at a previous point in the mission so you're going to do a little walking.

In competitive mode, there's a modest respawn time and you can't be revived. At least not in the game type we played.

mcrommert

Banned
You respawn. The timer is different based on the game mode you're in. I don't remember the exact times but the time is shortest when you are free roaming or in the tower. In the strikes, it takes a lot longer. You can be revived by a buddy in these modes. If you aren't revived by a buddy in the strike modes, you respawn at a previous point in the mission so you're going to do a little walking.

In competitive mode, there's a modest respawn time and you can't be revived.

Is there any advantage to using iron sites for guns that don't have scopes?

Smokey

NDA lifted? NDA lifted.

So I started the game like most everyone else who has seen Destiny media. Confused what the game is, how it works, what's the point. I've had the Alpha since last week and after maxing out the level cap in place (8) I've got a much better grasp on the game.

It is like Borderlands. That much is obvious from the trailers. This is not a bad thing. I played Old Russia, Crucible (MP) , and the Strike Mission.

Before all of this you create your character as we've seen and you're off to Old Russia. This is the starting point in the Alpha. From here you are free to start your mission. A way point is placed on your map and you can begin. Or you can explofe. This is what I did and in doing so met up with other players. None of us were in a party , but i saw them fighting enemies and I invited myself to join.

When you run into someone you CAN invite them to join your Fireteam or you can kill some guys with them and go about your business. I went about my business for the most part .

As you complete your missions you'll get XP and upgrades. These are pretty self explanatory. Every now and then a community event will be triggered and if you shoot the enemy on screen you'll participate. From here other players do the same and you join in to take down whatever is presented to you. I found these to be really fun and pretty tough in the beginning. These bring players together and work really well.

Once you've had your fill you can go to "orbit" and head to the town area to upgrade and get new missions. Here you'll see other players again running around doing whatever. This part felt PSOish. For the most part you upgrade what you like, get some missions, and head back to playing. Had no problem with this.

The Strike Mission (Devils Lair)forces you to go in as a party of 3 with a minimum level of 6. This was a lot more difficult than the Old Russia missions. I got matched up with 2 random people and had a good time. We used team work despite none of us having mics. We revived when others were down. Bounced our respective skill sets off of each other. It was great. I imagine it's even more fun with people you know. I found the AI to be tougher/better during this mission as well.

The shooting feels good to me. The gun sounds have some punch to them. The graphics,especially the lighting, are really well done. You can't really tell from the streams, but the game looks really good. it's definitely one of the better looking games on PS4.

Crucible (Competitive MP) is 6v6 Territories. You supers and everything you've obtained from the SP is available here. For the most part OT was ok. Close quarter weapons are way too powerful at the moment, and I'm not sure having Supers available in this mode is the best idea. It had its moments, but I preferred the other modes in the Alpha.

So yeah...I feel like you guys need to play it. Once you do it'll click and I think people will generally like what they see. If you liked Borderlands then you'll probably like this. Same addictive formula but with Bungies touch and direction.

Just bought some for my wife, thanks!

OPI is the best.

As for multiplayer. If I had to name one thing I'm not sold on about Destiny, it's that. It's...okay. Not sold.

My main problem with the multiplayer stems from two things: there's no distinctive philosophy behind it, and two game mechanics rub each other the wrong way.

By no clear philosophy, I mean that for the mode I played, there's nothing really distinctive about the multiplayer. Everyone is just thrown in with different weapons and abilities and then tasked to play a mode. Additionally, and some of this is because I haven't played the game enough, but the multiplayer is too random for me to enjoy. I never know what to anticipate, so the experience can get frustrating to me in that regard.

Those issues might be workable for me if it weren't for the second problem: contradicting gameplay mechanics. Destiny has ADS, so you have to slow down if you want to be really accurate, and hip-firing works like bloom in Reach. You're also very, very maneuverable. It's hard to slow down and be precise when everyone is jumping around and sliding everywhere. It makes the multiplayer's gunplay frustrating. This is a problem in the campaign-like modes, but manageable because you're facing AI. I can be maneuverable and accurate against AI without using ADS.

Gaz_RB

I find this post to be a tad putrid. You know why some people don't game? Because they don't think they're good enough to play. Who would be interested in watching a pro play it? Yuck. That stinks.

Have regular people play the game. You'll get more sales.

Are you serious with this post, man?

Definity

I do like how there is a fight in pvp over some of the weapon crates that pop up.
That keeps the action moving.

Pryce

Put my PSN in today. Hope I wasn't too late.

Even if I can't get in, I'm not looking at any videos. When I play it next month I want everything to be fresh.

mcrommert

Banned
OPI is the best.

As for multiplayer. If I had to name one thing I'm not sold on about Destiny, it's that. It's...okay. Not sold.

My main problem with the multiplayer stems from two things: there's no distinctive philosophy behind it, and two game mechanics rub each other the wrong way.

By no clear philosophy, I mean that for the mode I played, there's nothing really distinctive about the multiplayer. Everyone is just thrown in with different weapons and abilities and then tasked to play a mode. Additionally, and some of this is because I haven't played the game enough, but the multiplayer is too random for me to enjoy. I never know what to anticipate, so the experience can get frustrating to me in that regard.

Those issues might be workable for me if it weren't for the second problem: contradicting gameplay mechanics. Destiny has ADS, so you have to slow down if you want to be really accurate, and hip-firing works like bloom in Reach. You're also very, very maneuverable. It's hard to slow down and be precise when everyone is jumping around and sliding everywhere. It makes the multiplayer's gunplay frustrating. This is a problem in the campaign-like modes, but manageable because you're facing AI. I can be maneuverable and accurate against AI without using ADS.

Haven't played but this rings true to me...its the halo 4 problem on steroids

Virdix

Is the mission select still the space map and you click on the missions/strikes? Or has it changed? Ill find out thursday but just curious. Just curious to see how far its come.

Pop

Multiplayer looks sick! Knowing that will be great must mean the main part of the game will be amazing. I need it now.

zonezeus

How's the story mission? Any hints of a decent campaign in a full version?

And damn this looks SO much better on streams than in trailers, hope kinda restored.

Smokey

OPI is the best.

I wasn't feeling MP all that much either and said as much in my impressions post. Ive always been a Lone Wolf type player in Halo anyway, so the mode they had available wasn't really my style.

What would impressions be from someone who really liked the gunplay in halo series but wasn't a fan of borderlands game design?

Is the mission select still the space map and you click on the missions/strikes? Or has it changed? Ill find out thursday but just curious. Just curious to see how far its come.
You mean the map with Earth, the Tower, etc? Yeah.
Those health and shield bars for enemies are actually really slick.
The UI in Destiny is very, very slick and minimalist. I love it. Possibly my favorite UI ever.
How's the story mission? Any hints of a decent campaign in a full version?

And damn this looks SO much better on streams than in trailers, hope kinda restored.
The story mission is very short. From it I don't think I can judge what the campaign will be like in the full version. Seems like Bungie is allowing us to only scratch the surface.

ElRenoRaven

I see a question about how everything is connected. You start the alpha plopped into the 3rd campaign mission. You do that and then from there you return to orbit. To go between any mode you have to go to orbit. From orbit you can pick the Tower, Earth, or The Crucible. Then once you pick say earth you have 3 options currently. Devil's Lair strike, campaign mission 3, and Explore. When you go between the sections like earth tower, crucible you always go back to orbit. You also go back between modes like explore, campaign, etc. So oribit you will be seeing a lot.

Is there any advantage to using iron sites for guns that don't have scopes?

I will preface this with the three weapons I used: auto rifle, shotgun, and heavy machine gun.

I almost always used ADS with the auto rifle but it had a scope. At really close ranges, I could hip fire comfortably and still take enemies out. With the shotgun, I ADS'd significantly less. Your aiming is a bit more stable when you're ADS'd but at close range it's on you to decide if speed and mobility is more important than accuracy. It's pretty easy to nail someone at close range with a shotgun or fusion rifle by just hip firing.

I will say that the accuracy penalty for hip firing in Destiny is MUCH less than games like Battlefield.

It feels really comfortable in this game though.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Are you serious with this post, man?

I'm not saying pro gaming is bad or anything. But if you know one player is always going to win or show off a game, then it's pointless. I guess I want to see more people in general saying "hey I can play this without problems". Then we can get these gaming terms like noob and whatever came with Halo to go away. Some people like myself don't like those terms at all. They're juvenile and they shouldn't exist inside gaming if it wants to be an actual sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom