• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: April Update Preview

Nice Thread Nami. I'm excited about PoE bring brought back. They kinda left it to die (Worse than VoG and Crota). This will get me back fully into Destiny for the time being. It is also cool that They will be updating the TTK Raid as well to reflect the light levels. Maybe we will see something similar to the previous Raids.

And lol at people defending no matchmaking. Why do you care? Let people use matchmaking if they want. It wont ruin your enjoyment of visiting some random websites to play with random people.

It's an ok update, definitely not great. No reason a simple boss rush mode can't have matchmaking. Same for nf and story missions. So nice having mm for everything in division.

pantsmith

IMO the challenge mode in Divison is far harder then Skolas back in year one POE. People who use MM will find a way. I will day MM for raids with randos could be a disaster but poe? Nah, Bungie is just being stubborn on that regard. SKOLAS with randoms wouldn't be thay bad and after a few wipes, it absolutely can be done.

Anecdotal experience, I probably spent 12+ hours in the level 35 version of POE which includes everything up to and including Skolas. Hours of wiping while my two best friends and I learned the strategy and made it work, all while talking and communicating so we could each carry our weight and stave off wipes.

The idea of doing this with randos, which is hugely dependent on passing off the debuff he uses, seems like the worst Destiny experience imaginable. I'm not saying it can't be done, but pairing people without mics that have no commitment to the group and no patience is a recipe for a shitty experience.

If you're still playing Destiny at this point, you own TTK.

It is free.

This is a really weird way to reason this.

Like, if you own Battlefield 4 vanilla and a free feature comes out for Premium owners, it's free for Premium owners. It's not free for everyone.

Just because Bungie essentially made vanilla Destiny obsolete, does not mean this is "free". It's free to TTK owners. Call it like it is.

I think the annoying part besides the fact that it took them so long to say anything about an update is that they're going to parade it around for a month and show off content that honestly should just pop up randomly in an update with no real announcement besides a Twitter update that says "here's some new stuff to do in Destiny, enjoy." That's it.
You don't need to do weekly videos to show this shit off and make it seem like a big deal. It's just shit the starving fanbase is going to crush in about a week. That doesn't deserve back pats from themselves or anyone else's after so many months of silence.

It's just kind of lame and i hope they try to raise their own standards instead of us lowering ours.

Liamc723

Like, if you own Battlefield 4 vanilla and a free feature comes out for Premium owners, it's free for Premium owners. It's not free for everyone.

Just because Bungie essentially made vanilla Destiny obsolete, does not mean this is "free". It's free to TTK owners. Call it like it is.

Battlefield 4 vanilla is a game that you can still play just fine though, without the premium access.

Destiny is a completely different game where it is assumed the player base is up to date with the latest content. It is a free update for this type of game.

On the other hand, saying it's not free because you have to buy TTK is poor logic.

Is it also not free because I had to buy a PS4? A TV? A house/appt to place said PS4 and TV?

So...I'm guessing they have most their artists working on the sequel. Cause all I see is more re-skinned assets.

Meh, I saw a Taken version of the Archon Priest, a new Boss named Malok, the boss room which appears to be from the Shrine of Oryx has been redone. We appear to have something that lets us skin our weapons, We have 4 new bosses in PoE, plus whatever is involved with the new mission(s).

I'd say they've been working on the update.

Anecdotal experience, I probably spent 12+ hours in the level 35 version of POE which includes everything up to and including Skolas. Hours of wiping while my two best friends and I learned the strategy and made it work, all while talking and communicating so we could each carry our weight and stave off wipes.

The idea of doing this with randos, which is hugely dependent on passing off the debuff he uses, seems like the worst Destiny experience imaginable. I'm not saying it can't be done, but pairing people without mics that have no commitment to the group and no patience is a recipe for a shitty experience.

Oh I don't disagree with you that end game activities need communication and mics is a must especially for raids. I personally use DestinyGAF and 100.io to find groups to play with and even with that it can be tough. Even with MM in The Division, I try to run with guys from GAF or my buddies but I have the option there if I can't find enough on my own and generally the MM has been very nice. I expect people who have hit the end game to know their shit by end game...

I have always been a firm believer of giving options. No one is saying make it manditory because thay would be a really bad decision but Bungie's vision on no MM in everything that's non raids is just them being stubborn. Why are they making a decision for you that's available in 99% of coop games these days.

I mean honestly, just make the whole game even endgame including raids MM so when people do try and fail in MM raids or POE then they gloat about it in one of their stat updates on how MM failed for end game and we have numbers to prove it.

Battlefield 4 vanilla is a game that you can still play just fine though, without the premium access.

Destiny is a completely different game where it is assumed the player base is up to date with the latest content. It is a free update for this type of game.

Can you not play vanilla Destiny "just fine" without TTK, too? BF4 vanilla literally has 1/5 the content as BF4 premium.

On the other hand, saying it's not free because you have to buy TTK is poor logic.

Is it also not free because I had to buy a PS4? A TV? A house/appt to place said PS4 and TV?

What the

You *have* to have a console, TV, and (presumably) place to live before you can play Destiny, at all.

You *don't* have to own TTK to play Destiny.

All I'm arguing is that the statement "it's free to Destiny owners" is incorrect. It's free to owners of the TTK expansion.

I'm not even really saying that Bungie is being disingenuous. I love Elite: Dangerous, but I would never say that the upcoming 2.1 update is "free" to owners. It's "free" to people who bought and paid for the Year 2 "Elite Horizons" expansion.

Can you not play vanilla Destiny "just fine" without TTK, too? BF4 vanilla literally has 1/5 the content as BF4 premium.

What the

You *have* to have a console, TV, and (presumably) place to live before you can play Destiny, at all.

You *don't* have to own TTK to play Destiny.

All I'm arguing is that the statement "it's free to Destiny owners" is incorrect. It's free to owners of the TTK expansion.

I'm not even really saying that Bungie is being disingenuous. I love Elite: Dangerous, but I would never say that the upcoming 2.1 update is "free" to owners. It's "free" to people who bought and paid for the Year 2 "Elite Horizons" expansion.

Ahh, my apologies. I missed the semantics.

I thought we were arguing that Bungie shouldn't be claiming this update is free because it actually requires the purchase of TTK, which just seemed like such a silly thing to argue.

what? top of page claiming challenge mode is harder then Skolas? there is no way that's true.

It's hard to say.

The demo guys playing were all premade LL335. Most people going into this are going to be 315-320 right off the bat.

For all we know, RNG is going to be a bitch again, and it'll be 2 months before we're also 335.

pantsmith

Oh I don't disagree with you that end game activities need communication and mics is a must especially for raids. I personally use DestinyGAF and 100.io to find groups to play with and even with that it can be tough. Even with MM in The Division, I try to run with guys from GAF or my buddies but I have the option there if I can't find enough on my own and generally the MM has been very nice. I expect people who have hit the end game to know their shit by end game...

I have always been a firm believer of giving options. No one is saying make it manditory because thay would be a really bad decision but Bungie's vision on no MM in everything that's non raids is just them being stubborn. Why are they making a decision for you that's available in 99% of coop games these days.

I mean honestly, just make the whole game even endgame including raids MM so when people do try and fail in MM raids or POE then they gloat about it in one of their stat updates on how MM failed for end game and we have numbers to prove it.

And lol at people defending no matchmaking. Why do you care? Let people use matchmaking if they want. It wont ruin your enjoyment of visiting some random websites to play with random people.

If you design difficult content around people who are at least accountable for themselves and their need to communicate, it opens up all kinds of interesting opportunities.

If you let anyone jump in at the press of the button, you are willingly creating a toxic environment where players are being sent into a meat grinder full of potential negative experiences ...which itself opens a can of worms that ranges from willfully bad game design to bad press to forums full of people calling the content "broken" when its not.

As this conversation has always played out, the sensible middle ground is to include a tool within the game that allows people to build their own groups. No one is against the idea, and I'm 99% sure it will be in Destiny 2, but straight up matchmaking goes against the whole nature of what the content is designed to be.

Ahh, my apologies. I missed the semantics.

I thought we were arguing that Bungie shouldn't be claiming this update is free because it actually requires the purchase of TTK, which just seemed like such a silly thing to argue.

Don't worry, I regret even getting into the argument, hahaha. Semantics, indeed!

Good to know that they're still supporting the game decently. And I hope Bungie will really show what lessons they've learned from Destiny in its sequel and future games.

GhaleonEB

I'm really liking what's been described of the Prison of Elders refresh. The combination of 1) adding Taken, 2) updating the other bosses (and presumably, waves), 3) adding scoring, 4) fully leveraging the skulls for more unique rounds (16 weeks without repeats), 5) a higher level, updated version with matchmaking, 6) weekly bounties/goals, and 7) guaranteed high level gear for completing them...it's a pretty comprehensive update.

I loved PoE in the House of Wolves update, but it was one of those modes with lots of potential that was set aside far too early. Very glad they're revisiting it. (Hoping they improve the game flow between rounds as well.)

That alone will get me back into Destiny. I loved Firefight back and the day, and to the extent that PoE scratches a similar itch, I'll be there for a long while.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Probably not enough for me to jump back in until real, substantial new content hits. Cool I guess though. That queen icon on the weapons has to go. It looks incredibly ugly.

ironcreed

Banned
Cool, I will gladly check out any and all all content given. I would rather play this than The Division, that is for damn sure.

How much can Bungie get out of the same content lol
Far more than they're doing, and it'd be welcome in my book.

That alone will get me back into Destiny. I loved Firefight back and the day, and to the extent that PoE scratches a similar itch, I'll be there for a long while.
The more it approaches a Firefight mode the more I'm interested, but its felt like more of a mini-raid-challenge mode than raw knuckled Firefight. And the changes seem founded upon the idea of challenging your build and team composition more than your play.

But will keep in touch with the changes. Noot to compare the two directly, but playing The Division puts the differences between the games in stark relief, and some of that makes me want to jump back into Destiny for a spell.

Top Bottom