• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: April Update Preview

Edit: GameInformer has 100 screenshots to share about the update:
http://www.gameinformer.com/games/destiny_the_taken_king/b/playstation4/default.aspx#

And the joke is that this is what constitutes "big" content for Destiny nowadays.

Game is dead to me I guess.

It's an update. It's not like they're trying to sell it as an expansion.

1 Strikes
1+ Missions
5-10 New Quests
2 New PvE Endgame Activities

Plus we have no idea what we're getting in the next two streams. Who knows whats happening on the PvP front.

I'd argue that the Sparrow Racing League was actually pretty decent in size, but for whatever stupid reason, was a 3 week deal that we haven't heard anything about since.

This still annoys me. It's been almost 3 months since it ended. They can take two or three sentences to say whether or not they even plan on bringing it back or not.

blamite

T1HjE8B.jpg

I'm really liking the look of that 'lock's gear.

That's weird. I thought they would of just added it into the rotation like Iron Banner.

I figured since they planned on adding more maps, it would be on a longer two (if we were lucky) or three month cycle. At the VERY least I expected to hear their plans for it maybe a month or so after. But as usual, nothing. I don't even need promises of dates or anything, I'm just curious if it's in the pipeline to come back at all.

I figured since they planned on adding more maps, it would be on a longer two (if we were lucky) or three month cycle. At the VERY least I expected to hear their plans for it maybe a month or so after. But as usual, nothing. I don't even need promises of dates or anything, I'm just curious if it's in the pipeline to come back at all.
I'm expecting a bi yearly thing.

So I expect it to return around Bungie day (7/7), with possibly another new map.

Dat Titan armor doe!

Sexy!

I freaking love it. I've grown so bored of the ugly bone/sinew hive stuff. And while the Trials set looks sexy, I've been wearing it for almost a year now.

GhaleonEB

The more it approaches a Firefight mode the more I'm interested, but its felt like more of a mini-raid-challenge mode than raw knuckled Firefight. And the changes seem founded upon the idea of challenging your build and team composition more than your play.

But will keep in touch with the changes. Noot to compare the two directly, but playing The Division puts the differences between the games in stark relief, and some of that makes me want to jump back into Destiny for a spell.

True. I was kind of mixing the updates to the new challenge mode, and the new level 41 mode that has matchmaking. I'm glad we get both.

Welp time to grind to level 3 to get the shaders before they're gone. I'm at 2 now so I figure I'll need to grind Skolas six times to get there. Should be easy enough to solo with the sword glitch.

SRTtoZ

I want to make a hunter just for that set/shader. I really like what they're doing here. The new PoE will be good for people gearing up to 320 light, and then the challenging PoE will be pure end game levels. Very exited here.

Shito

Mmmh, don't know if that's enough new content for me to come back. I never liked the KF raid, and the perspective of having to do some more PoE is not really appealing right now...
The only thing I really crave from this update is the hunter's taken set (shader?), but I suspect you need to farm that new PoE mode to get your hands on it, sooooo...
Yeah, I'll probably wait for the supposed expansion in September to come back to the game; SF5 has my soul right now.

Matchew

Looks like a good content update, enough to pull me back in. A little disappointed with no matchmaking for the challenge mode. I think you could have easily had matchmaking for it.

I keep telling myself I will get back into Destiny when there's new content. But now that I know there's some new content, I'm not excited about it nor do I think I will get deep back into it. That's not to say it's not good content, this looks awesome for a free update. But I haven't played since Fallout 4 dropped in November, and honestly not sure if I will be playing in April now.

Can't explain it, this is a game in which I sunk over a thousand hours. Could it be I'm actually burnt out, officially? :-(

Slermy

I'm really liking what's been described of the Prison of Elders refresh. The combination of 1) adding Taken, 2) updating the other bosses (and presumably, waves), 3) adding scoring, 4) fully leveraging the skulls for more unique rounds (16 weeks without repeats), 5) a higher level, updated version with matchmaking, 6) weekly bounties/goals, and 7) guaranteed high level gear for completing them...it's a pretty comprehensive update.

I loved PoE in the House of Wolves update, but it was one of those modes with lots of potential that was set aside far too early. Very glad they're revisiting it. (Hoping they improve the game flow between rounds as well.)

That alone will get me back into Destiny. I loved Firefight back and the day, and to the extent that PoE scratches a similar itch, I'll be there for a long while.

Yep, I agree. I liked PoE a lot, but felt it could have been so much more.

I'm liking the changes and loot they showed off today. I can see myself grinding out this mode for a while.

I'm really liking the look of that 'lock's gear.

Yes! Finally, no more feathers.

This still annoys me. It's been almost 3 months since it ended. They can take two or three sentences to say whether or not they even plan on bringing it back or not.

Exactly.

I'm coming back for this. I still prefer the Etheric Light system.

Yeah, I hope they bring back something similar. I'd love to be able to use my SRL gear as actual gear... or give me cosmetic slots. :(

SnakeEyes

Banned
Nami, msg me when it's out and tell me if it's actually worth putting my Destiny disc back into my console.

Is this the big update or is that the next one?
This is the April update, but I doubt it can be classed as the "big" update that was discussed a little while back. If it is, heaven help us...

My plan is to come back the month before the next big expansion, tackle all the stuff mentioned in this update, then move on to new content.

Jinjo

Is this the big update or is that the next one?

This is an update from the liveteam that brought us gems like Festival of the Lost and Sparrow Racing.

Next fall will be an actual (paid) DLC update. Supposedly.

I'll be playing PoE in the next few weeks in order to get those PoE exclusive shaders before they disappear come april.

Namikaze1

Nami, msg me when it's out and tell me if it's actually worth putting my Destiny disc back into my console.
I'll probably be too busy playing Dark Souls 3 to even care about this.

Hoping they at least make some good/great changes to the Crucible since PvP is what's pretty much keeping the game alive right now.

le.phat

I wish they planned Destiny better. I loved it to bits up until the Taken King, got bored, and now i can't see myself returning to it. I love the world but it's not enough. I wish the Division was launched before Destiny, so Destiny could iterate on that ( off course in my fantasy the Division would be the exact same experience as it is now :) )

ReaperXL7

I haven't played destiny since I finished the main story in vanilla, but I'm considering either getting the taken king or picking up Diablo 3 again to check out all they have added to that as well.

My issue with Destiny is that everyone I used to play with has moved on at this point and meeting new people in game has never been an easy thing to do

urge26

Not trying to bitch or complain (but it is). I'm disappointed. Bungie really just had to do a couple of things:

- bring all 3 raids and prison into max light level and let the players decide what PvE end game they want to partake in.

- bring along some weapons that are super hard to get, AKA GHorns that would've played into all three raids

Then I think it would've been easy to get everyone back into the fold within my group creating some of those big carrots again. Instead, steered into Prison which was disappointing and I see this being "exciting" for about a month.

Reading the Kotaku article and understanding some of the challenges that the teams have with the engine, etc. I understand that it may be difficult for the "Live Team" to modify existing content, but I was really hoping VoG/Crota would be back into the fold.

Not trying to bitch or complain (but it is). I'm disappointed. Bungie really just had to do a couple of things:

- bring all 3 raids and prison into max light level and let the players decide what PvE end game they want to partake in.

- bring along some weapons that are super hard to get, AKA GHorns that would've played into all three raids

Then I think it would've been easy to get everyone back into the fold within my group creating some of those big carrots again. Instead, steered into Prison which was disappointing and I see this being "exciting" for about a month.

Reading the Kotaku article and understanding some of the challenges that the teams have with the engine, etc. I understand that it may be difficult for the "Live Team" to modify existing content, but I was really hoping VoG/Crota would be back into the fold.

This might still happen, as everything gear related is being talked about next week.

Melchiah

Looking forward to the update. Unfortunately, it'll be out the same day as Dark Souls 3, and I really don't like the lack of matchmaking in Challenge of the Elders. There's no excuse for not having it there, as even King's Fall raid can work with random first timers. I did my first and only KF playthrough with two veterans and four rookies, and I only knew one of the players previously.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I assume it can drop items between 320 and 330.

This is why I´m not touching this game anymore.
....challenge modifiers have guaranteed max light level drops right now amongst the possibility for additional lower level drops. If that keeps true what the hell are you talking about?

The sparrow racing league stuff really should be like iron banner and pop up once a month for those who want to play it for a week, to make that content and then sit on it while people ask for more to do is just silly.

I wonder what's bungies motivation in putting out a game update. I quit back in nov and none of this frankly sounds like something that would make me come back - nothing story wise that sounds interesting, and PoE was fun once or twice, no more.

For people who still play destiny, and there are LOTS I know, I guess its nice to give them a bit of a new gear grind but I dunno people tend to get a bit angry about changes to something they have got down to a farming pattern.

Top Bottom