• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny House of Wolves |OT| Fatebringer 24/7/365

BokehKing

Banned
It's easy to make gear better than raid gear, for the simple fact that one perk slot on the raid gear is dedicated to that raid. What will a boost to agility when carrying a sword bearers sword going to do when fighting atheon?

If they keep letting us upgrade our old gear they will run into the same issue they are right now forever... Nothing they're rewarding me with is as good as anything I already got from VoG.

I'd be prepared for "year 1" loot to be legacied, and new gear in year two to take over.

Yeah... I would assume it'll hit a stopping point eventually.

But man... It'll be hard to part with VoG armor and Found Verdict and Vision of Confluence. Those are my main gems.

It's easy to make gear better than raid gear, for the simple fact that one perk slot on the raid gear is dedicated to that raid. What will a boost to agility when carrying a sword bearers sword going to do when fighting atheon?

That's also part of what makes VoG gear top notch. What raid-specific perks they do have don't limit or subtract other abilities/perks.

The CE and PoE perks are nice for the areas they are dedicated too I guess, but those perks take away from situations outside those areas. It should be damage to x-enemy across the board, not locked to a raid or arena.

gatti-man

If they keep letting us upgrade our old gear they will run into the same issue they are right now forever... Nothing they're rewarding me with is as good as anything I already got from VoG.

I'd be prepared for "year 1" loot to be legacied, and new gear in year two to take over.

There should be variety and it keeps the old raids relevant. Hopefully they just make new gear with different and equally appealing buffs. I love the old gun and gear buffs.

Question: Can you use Etheric Light to level up a green item?

I've saved a Level 8 helmet in my vault because it just looked so cool. I was hoping for a transmog function to enter Destiny so I could combine it with an actually useful helmet, but I doubt that'll ever happen at this point. So I'm just curious.

ezekial45

Banned
Question: Can you use Etheric Light to level up a green item?

I've saved a Level 8 helmet in my vault because it just looked so cool. I was hoping for a transmog function to enter Destiny so I could combine it with an actually useful helmet, but I doubt that'll ever happen at this point. So I'm just curious.
No. Legendaries (purple) only.

You can do it with the app too

And I like your buids and can see why they work for you now.

Oh you can?! Thanks for the tip. I'll go lock it now.

And thanks. I've put a lot of work into farming for the right pieces. I just need a better pair of boots and I'll be absolutely happy with it. My Titan and Hunter are kinda all over the place as I've spent most of my focus on the Warlock haha.

FyreWulff

So does etheric light work on fatebringer? Cuz that's number one use for etheric light if so

Any Legendary weapon. No matter where it came from

My first non-exotic ascensions are going to be Praedyth's Timepiece, Atheon's Epilogue, and Vision of Confluence so I have max attack primaries with all 3 elements and all 3 rifle weapon types

joecanada

My first non-exotic ascensions are going to be Praedyth's Timepiece, Atheon's Epilogue, and Vision of Confluence so I have max attack primaries with all 3 elements and all 3 rifle weapon types

No doubt looking forward to ascending melter of faces too

Mythoclast

No doubt looking forward to ascending melter of faces too

Mythoclast

For legendaries, I've ascended Vision of Confluence and Found Verdict so far.

mcfrank

Debating if I want to start ascending my guns or level my warlock to 34. Find myself just holding etheric light unable to make a decision.

Roussow

I asked a question about jumping back into the game earlier in the thread (still haven't done so, a few more questions before I bite the bullet and purchase both the core game and House of Wolves.

How much of the expansion (and really, the core game) can be done either solo, or by matchmaking. Can I easily level to the new cap ignoring stuff that requires a crew/pre-made fireteam? Obviously I'd just ignore raids, would I still be able to get some exotics/legendarys with high light levels?

SkylineRKR

Mythoclast is a simple case of getting an exotic shard. Ascended it right away.

I don't have EL, I haven't played much ToO (3-1 currently) and I don't really like PvE so only level 32 still. I'd rather play IB for EL.

If Bungie keeps letting us ascend old gear throughout the series, I'm going to take the VoG helm gloves and chest as far as I can. I saved pieces just in case they ever did let us upgrade them- ended up paying off haha. I don't think there'll be a better looking armor set (the boots I can take or leave) and I want to see how long I can hold onto them haha.

The Queen's Web shader makes them really sing, too.

I have a soft spot for VoG gear but my TDB gear has slightly better stats. Also, the orb generate works much better on TDB gear. And swordbearers touch is a nice thing to have if there ever comes an Epic CE. I find vex striker not as useful.

I asked a question about jumping back into the game earlier in the thread (still haven't done so, a few more questions before I bite the bullet and purchase both the core game and House of Wolves.

How much of the expansion (and really, the core game) can be done either solo, or by matchmaking. Can I easily level to the new cap ignoring stuff that requires a crew/pre-made fireteam? Obviously I'd just ignore raids, would I still be able to get some exotics/legendarys with high light levels?
You can get to 34 without pre made fireteams but it will take you longer. It also helps if you enjoy PvP as you can play Iron Banner for the etheric light. But really if you have no intention of doing the end game activities you don't need to be max light level anyway.

You can acquire exotics from a vendor who comes once a week and legendaries do drop in matchmade activities but again this will take longer than if you raided and did nightfalls etc. As you can guess the real fun of the game comes with teaming up with others and going through end game content. Also, don't go into this expecting a long and rewarding story.

I can guarantee, if you do get into the game and like it, you'll get to a point where you will want to go through the end game content. It really doesn't take much effort to hook up with people, there's a very active playerbase over in community side and sites like the100.io make it easy to team up.

I've only had it for about ten minutes but I already love it. It's ridiculously overpowered.

juIeeUt.jpg

border

I can't believe it, but after a week and a half it feels like I just don't have anything to do in the game.

I could attempt PoE34 or PoE35, but the final bosses are just such nasty encounters that require perfect execution, and a very specific set of weapons.

I feel like I'm essentially skill-locked out of Trials of Osiris. Teams I put together last week were pretty soundly trouned, and I don't really see the point in stringing together six wins so I can get an armor piece with only mildly interesting perks.

Even if I did do this stuff the rewards would only really be for marginal upgrades to 365 Damage for my current gear, or some armor parts that are sidegrades at best.

Question about rewards in the Weekly Heroic Strike:

Last night my extremely disorganized team finally destroyed Taniks to end the strike. In my joy I lost focus and got killed by the remaining random enemies in the arena. I got a respawn prompt, but it did nothing.

At the final reward screen: no strange coins for me.

Did I lose out on the Coins because I died, or are they not guaranteed to everyone completing the strike?

Question about rewards in the Weekly Heroic Strike:

Last night my extremely disorganized team finally destroyed Taniks to end the strike. In my joy I lost focus and got killed by the remaining random enemies in the arena. I got a respawn prompt, but it did nothing.

At the final reward screen: no strange coins for me.

Did I lose out on the Coins because I died, or are they not guaranteed to everyone completing the strike?

Had you already done it this week on that character at that difficulty level?

FyreWulff

Dying doesn't matter at the end, you either did it already at that difficulty or there was latency and you got them in orbit or they're just in your inventory now.

Deku Tree

I can't believe it, but after a week and a half it feels like I just don't have anything to do in the game.

I could attempt PoE34 or PoE35, but the final bosses are just such nasty encounters that require perfect execution, and a very specific set of weapons.

I feel like I'm essentially skill-locked out of Trials of Osiris. Teams I put together last week were pretty soundly trouned, and I don't really see the point in stringing together six wins so I can get an armor piece with only mildly interesting perks.

Even if I did do this stuff the rewards would only really be for marginal upgrades to 365 Damage for my current gear, or some armor parts that are sidegrades at best.

The level 34 boss
Quodron is pretty reasonable to do legit even without horns. I posted the Strat earlier. Skolas is entirely another matter.

Edit: here it is:

Man lvl 34 quodron is a fairly easy and fun fight to do legit.

Strat: bring a Titan. Go all the way to the right. Clear adds. Shoot the key master whatever his name is dude. Shoot at boss. Shoot out of detainment. Pop heavy and unload on boss every cool down. Rinse and repeat until quodron is dead.

Did it with Breezy yesterday three times to farm the elder cypher bounty. Got 350 points per kill. As long as you kills yourself before returning to the airlock then resets the round lol.

I feel like I don't like the horn cheese for that fight because it's not nearly as fun and requires a 10 minute boring wait in the airlock and this is what everyone wants to do now and people usually say "that's the only way I've ever done the fight too lol".

Does the House of Wolves have a story mission/quest that rewards you with a legendary piece of armor? Kind of like the Urn of Sacrufice rewarding the player with a Legendary Gauntlet.

Cross post from the OT. This isnt necessarily a review but it reflects my thoughts at the moment

Fist of all, the Reef is a nice cozy space that mitigates the travel time from visiting vendors like we have in the Tower. However, we still find ourselves making the trip home to take advantage of the quality of life updates such as reforging and material exchanging. Both of these are healthy changes to the game and I imagine they've made players feel a lot more attached to their character's weapons and gear. There's overall a lot less grinding and gating before you can enjoy your stuff, so it's made the game significantly more accessible for new players.

But those quality of life updates aren't what we're playing in this expansion. For starters, we had to go through the new Story missions. They were certainly a step above the launch and The Dark Below missions as far as encounter design and dialog goes. Even though many of the missions were yet again retreads of existing spaces, there were built in a way that made them feel somewhat fresher. The story this time around did a better job of both introducing more interesting characters and tying the lore into what we were doing. I actually understood the Fallen systems by the end and wanted to learn more about them. Bungie still has a long way to go, but they're making progress. The only fault I have with the Story is that - once again - i have absolutely no reason to replay them. The Daily missions aren't even really worth it anymore since the Ascendant materials are being phased out. I used to be in dire need for shards, and now I have so many I don't know what to do with them. This is especially odd for me considering I technically only started playing just over a month ago.

Moving on, the Strike at least is worth revisiting. It's my favorite strike in the game by a country mile and is also a step in the right direction for dungeon design. Unfortunately, it's only worth something during the Weekly activities and Dragon playlists, which again I have less desire to play through unless I'm grinding weapon parts. But then junk like Undying Mind still pops up more often than not. Ugh.

Prison of Elders I think is a very mixed bag. I despised it at first, but it's grown on me if not for the fact that it is a lot simpler than a Raid and therefore requires less of my attention and investment to find and play through. I don't think the challenge modes are that difficult if we're properly geared, but it's troubling how you can coast through the early waves and then wipe for 2 hours at the final boss due to the difficulty spike. That aspect is poorly designed; I generally feel that way about the whole thing. The objectives aren't very inspired and there's nothing special about the wave to wave combat until you reach a boss with Raid mechanics. Bungie tried, but I find myself struggling to muster up the desire to play through it. With the Raid, I was looking forward to the resets; PoE on the other hand feels like a chore. Maybe if the loot was worth dying for, I'd be more interested. Some of the rewards are amazing, but I just don't see myself returning to it for weapons that give me bonus damage to Shanks. Seriously.

And then there's the case of Treasure keys. The new world events were almost unanimously praised and rightfully so - Patrol is a whole lot livelier than it's ever been and it makes doing daily bounties much more refreshing. But the whole key system is a joke considering how rare they are. Bungie has addressed the desire to fix this, but by then I think people will be burnt out from all the farming. Bungie also has the tendency to work in extremes, so I expect it to be raining Treasure Keys after they fix it. They'll make them a lot less rare to encourage us to keep replaying Prison of Elders (and I'm sure it'll come with a change to increase the grind somewhere else).

The PvP side of things is yet another polarizing aspect. It's no secret that I'm very critical of the maps. When I'm playing against people who tend to camp every corner, head glitch every ramp and blink over every wall, I see a lot of holes in the map's designs. Sometimes it takes a while for the meta to be exhausted (or maps don't have much of it), but once those cracks start leaking it's hard to ignore them. It's for that reason I feel that all 4 of the new DLC maps are absolutely terrible. I could get very specific, but it's not like they're doing anything that the other maps haven't suffered from. Bungie continues to make large maps with very flat terrain and a bunch of line of sight blockers strewn about. It makes them play like paintball maps until somebody blinks over a wall. They also really like making sharp corners with ridiculously tiny sightlines, tiny corridors and throwing explosive barrels down every chance that they get. It's just amateur design with no regard for map flow or map movement. Perhaps the biggest taboo here is the inconsistent geometry, with some spots you can shoot through or get downright stuck in.

And that ties into Trials of Osiris. I really enjoy most of the gear from this event. It's easy to see why people feel that PvE players have gotten the short end of the stick. Trials of Osiris is the backbone of this expansion in both spectacle and rewards and it's allowed the community to reach out and help each other in an entirely new way. Even if you don't make it to the Lighthouse - keep in mind that this is a new space for a very small percentage of players - you still often get great loot from the vendor. Trials comes with its own problems such as lag, cheating and just the overall inconvenience of finding a group to play through; however, even though it's a very exclusive event, I enjoyed the excitement. That is, until it ended up on Pantheon.

I don't think Burning Shrine is a great map - well I used to but I mentioned that the meta game changes and I've grown to dislike the way people play on that map. But the great thing about Burning Shrine was that the games could end really fast. Knocking out a few wins was very doable in under 30 minutes, so there was never a dull moment on that map. You had to kill or be killed. But Pantheon? Jesus christ this map is garbage and it's brought out the worst in people. I've lost count of how many teams I've played that have camped their spawn with snipers. Maybe it's not the most effective strategy, but it's just one of many that make this map incredibly boring to play on. Frankly, I don't have much desire to play Trials this weekend anymore because the games take so long and the engagements just aren't interesting. The map makes or breaks a game mode with a competitive focus and I don't think it's going to have much success in a game with a library consisting almost entirely of bad maps.

Then there is of course the current state of Crucible. I'd love to rock my brand new Jewel along with a few other weapons, but the meta game revolves around a handful of weapons and play styles. It makes it even more difficult to carry players who may not be familiar with the meta game. Destiny's PvP has grown stale and Trials was a missed opportunity to introduce something different.

So why am I still playing? Much like the main game and The Dark Below, the best part of House of Wolves to me has been the loot. There are a lot of new weapons and gear that appeal to me and I'm willing to endure even the most mundane task of farming treasure keys to get them. Hell, I'll grind Trials for the perfect roll on those damn Hunter jeggings just because I think they're the best looking boots. One weapon or armor piece alone can change the way the game is played, and therefore I've always sought after the best that I can get my hands on. I'm not sure where I'll be after I have all the stuff I want; I suppose I'll be waiting for the next carrot to chase. Hopefully by then, Bungie wises up and delivers content that's worth playing because it's great and not because the stuff I'm using and the people I'm playing it with make it great. I'm not exactly holding my breath this time though.

geordiemp

Cross post from the OT.

. It's for that reason I feel that all 4 of the new DLC maps are absolutely terrible. I could get very specific, but it's not like they're doing anything that the other maps haven't suffered from. Bungie continues to make large maps with very flat terrain and a bunch of line of sight blockers strewn about. It makes them play like paintball maps until somebody blinks over a wall.

That is, until it ended up on Pantheon.

I don't think Burning Shrine is a great map - well I used to but I mentioned that the meta game changes and I've grown to dislike the way people play on that map. But the great thing about Burning Shrine was that the games could end really fast..

Burning shrine would be a good map if they got rid of the crazy sun in the eyes.

So imbalanced. The new maps are a shotgun cluster ffff

Trails is great....

Prison of Elders - I am tired of the only strategy that players use is to bring the gally, don't have a gally, tough. I have not botherd much with Prison as I don't have a Gally yet, but get 9 etheric light from Trials anyway so I don't really care.

They need to reduce the boss health and nerf rocket launchers big time and maybe people have to...you know...play the game and do the boss raid type mechanics.

Wolf rounds, cluster bombs, mini Mervs should do 10 % extra damage, No more.....Drop Boss health by 50 % and it would be FUN to shoot

Maybe people would start to use those machine guns for a change....

Burning shrine would be a good map if they got rid of the crazy sun in the eyes.

So imbalanced. The new maps are a shotgun cluster ffff

Trails is great....

Prison of Elders - I am tired of the only strategy that players use is to bring the gally, don't have a gally, tough. I have not botherd much with Prison as I don't have a Gally yet, but get 9 etheric light from Trials anyway so I don't really care.

They need to reduce the boss health and nerf rocket launchers big time and maybe people have to...you know...play the game and do the boss raid type mechanics.

Wolf rounds, cluster bombs, mini Mervs should do 10 % extra damage, No more.....Drop Boss health by 50 % and it would be FUN to shoot

Maybe people would start to use those machine guns for a change....

machine guns are great this week - corrective measure in particular was a life saver on Skolas. the fight isnt that bad either on void burn because you can actually play with the intended mechanics

i dont think they need to nerf pve weapons so much as they need to design better encounters. nobody likes AoE attacks that insta kill them.

a gjallarhorn nerf would be more for the clique aspect though. its troubling that players basically require pick up groups to have it even when it isnt necessary

Deku Tree

Just beat Skolas, got TWO Elder Ciphers.

I assume I can do both at once?

I know my response is a few days old... but you really only got one Elder Cyper... at the end you will only get one weapon. It is a weird visual bug that was released in the latest patch. Sucks that it takes up two bounty slots though.

there is nothing to fix.

Hawkmoon can 2 shot. Hawkmoon can 1 shot if your lucky.

All handguns can 3 shot, you don't make sense

hawkmoon's TTK is random and it has its Rof capped to normal handcannons.

Thorn fires faster and can consistently 2 shot across the map

Top Bottom