• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny receives a new Leveling System with The Taken King release. Step aside RNG.

KJRS_1993

I own Destiny but neither of the two available DLC are either worth it?

Oh my days definitely not.
The Dark Below is terrible. You can beat the story in an hour, 35 minutes if you're rushing. Crota's End raid is decent fun, but not as good as the Vault of Glass.

House of Wolves has a very very good campaign, but the Prison of Elders is lacklustre. Most of the quality - of - life improvements it made are also in the base game. The Trials of Osiris are excellent to be fair though if PvP is your thing and you've got a strong team.

If you want to get back into Destiny, wait for the Taken King physical edition and just sell on your base game.

stay gold

Every copy of TTK comes with a free item you pick up from the tower that when consumed bumps that character to "the minimum level to play TTK." One time use. Just wait for that.

Ohhh I didn't know this. The UK pricing was a bit annoying but this makes switching from XB1 to PS4 so much less of a chore. I think i'll bite.

Dubz

Reinstalled. Have the season pass but haven't really played the DLC. Only level 30, so hopefully this new leveling system will pare down the grind a bit. The main reason i stopped is because it felt like I had to play Destiny full time to get anywhere.This reminds me a lot of the Diablo 3 changes.

GhaleonEB

Yeah, and they have promised exactly that how many times before without changing anything noticeable?

Don't get me wrong, I really liked the game. Grinded to 30, grinded to 32. But at that point I just quit. And the only thing that could have brought me back would have been the end of the whole light business and a clear way to reach the real highest level without having to rely on luck.

Changing the chase for level 34 to the chase for light level xyz changes nothing. 40 is just the new 20, everything else is RNG.

The new system is entirely different from the old system. The avenues for progression are both more numerous than before, and more greatly under your control.

border

Nothing has changed.

It's a little funny how this purely cosmetic difference has got people so suddenly interested in the game. Endgame progression is still going to revolve around gear acquisition, the only difference is that now everyone gets to level cap without doing anything other than completing a bunch of easy singleplayer content.

I liked that being Level 30 in vanilla Destiny was actually a sign of some accomplishment, and that your level accurately gave others information about how well equipped your character was. Being at the level cap now is basically meaningless.....everyone will hit it given enough time.

Some Nobody

Nothing has changed.

It's a little funny how this purely cosmetic difference has got people so suddenly interested in the game. Endgame progression is still going to revolve around gear acquisition, the only difference is that now everyone gets to level cap without doing anything other than completing a bunch of easy singleplayer content.

I liked that being Level 30 in vanilla Destiny was actually a sign of some accomplishment, and that your level accurately gave others information about how well equipped your character was. Being at the level cap now is basically meaningless.....everyone will hit it given enough time.

Lmao. It was that way before, you're just not at the mercy of fking RNG. I can't believe there's anyone arguing in favor of this system.

Though the Light system is only one of my problems with Destiny. I'm going to need an actual story with some consistency and side quests with serviceable writing and actual NPCs for this to be worth it.

Spoo

I'd just like a reason to play this game from now until Taken King releases. Nothing I get now will matter then.

I've taken the opportunity to start a fresh character with a friend. The goal is pretty much to get to 20, grind out some of the basics, maybe run first raid for fun. Since we both don't have a *ton* of time, all of that will probably take a while. Not long enough to fill the wait entirely, but unless they are puting everyone back to level 1 there's at least a little something you can do in the mean time (fill up the vanguard marks etc?)

bebop242

I'm using this time to level my subclasses and exotics, but i've just started my titan and worlock about a month ago.

Blunoise

I'd just like a reason to play this game from now until Taken King releases. Nothing I get now will matter then.

I've taken the opportunity to start a fresh character with a friend. The goal is pretty much to get to 20, grind out some of the basics, maybe run first raid for fun. Since we both don't have a *ton* of time, all of that will probably take a while. Not long enough to fill the wait entirely, but unless they are puting everyone back to level 1 there's at least a little something you can do in the mean time (fill up the vanguard marks etc?)

You guys should join the DGaf on the community side. There is plenty of things to do in destiny right now, if you need help with raids anyone there will help out. I feel like most ppl on gaf are missing out on destiny cuz they haven't joined the community fully. And no I don't believe that everything that you do now is worthless.

Simo

You guys should join the DGaf on the community side. There is plenty of things to do in destiny right now, if you need help with raids anyone there will help out. I feel like most ppl on gaf are missing out on destiny cuz they haven't joined the community fully. And no I don't believe that everything that you do now is worthless.

I might have to do that. I was consumed by Destiny up until a little after The Dark Below and just got burnt out. It didn't help when your friends were treating the raids like a job and waiting for everyone to switch characters at checkpoints rather than just proceed and have fun. I did jump back on for The House of Wolves briefly to do the story content...

Now with the new info from GI I'm actually excited for Year 2 and jumped back on. No idea how you get Queen's rep and only had a go at the Prison of Elders twice on Normal and never attempted Trials of Osiris. Problem is that all my friends moved on to ESO...=/

Spoo

I'm actually a member of the dgaf west 2 clan, but I was one of the many who fell against the 29->30 brick wall (and all my friends basically stopped playing).

I will definitely become more active the closer TTK release comes. And I'd *love* to do VoG runs and the other raid (since I never even got to try it once on my Warlock!) I'm more than a little worried about being a bad player, though, since I have only ever beat the VoG maybe 3 times on Normal, and I did maybe 1 Nightmare strike, or whatever it is (where your eyes glow afterward). I don't want to involve myself in the community so much until I can guarantee that I'm not going to be wasting people's time.

Rhaegar

I'm actually a member of the dgaf west 2 clan, but I was one of the many who fell against the 29->30 brick wall (and all my friends basically stopped playing).

I will definitely become more active the closer TTK release comes. And I'd *love* to do VoG runs and the other raid (since I never even got to try it once on my Warlock!) I'm more than a little worried about being a bad player, though, since I have only ever beat the VoG maybe 3 times on Normal, and I did maybe 1 Nightmare strike, or whatever it is (where your eyes glow afterward). I don't want to involve myself in the community so much until I can guarantee that I'm not going to be wasting people's time.

Now is a great time to jump back in and do the raids and nightfalls for those who haven't tried some of those activities. Most players are over-levelled for the content right now and can easily help carry some players that don't have all of the mechanics memorized or may not have the high level gear. You can have some really fun, laid-back runs these days.

Spoo

Now is a great time to jump back in and do the raids and nightfalls for those who haven't tried some of those activities. Most players are over-levelled for the content right now and can easily help carry some players that don't have all of the mechanics memorized or may not have the high level gear. You can have some really fun, laid-back runs these days.

That's cool. Maybe if I can fool some GAFers to take me through VoG on hard so I can try to pick up some cool exotics I can share with my budding Titan. :D

The only exotics I have are the Suros Regime, Truth, and Hard Light, which I've been informed are all bad :(

Deku Tree

Nothing has changed.

I think we just have to wait and see what Bungie will plan to tell us about the new system. Certain things about what your light does to your power and how that affects PvE play us still unexplained. I find it hard to believe they would rework the whole system to have be working exactly the same way in practice. Besides Bungie has said many times that TTK has a lot more clear paths to obtaining gear probably like PoE a little bit instead of waiting for RNG.

Deku Tree

Some year 1 exotics are only now being made available to xbox players. They aren't going to do that only to leave them behind in the same patch.

I think they could very well leave them behind stuck at 365 attack. I don't know if they will for sure, but I haven't heard a convincing argument for why they wouldn't leave the old exotics behind. The rumor from last week sounded to me like someone at gamescom said something before Bungie was ready for it to be revealed. But we have to wait for them to tell us either way I guess.

Ramirez

Edge your rep up and stockpile 5K XP bounties. That's what I do before every new content drop. Oh and continue to do weeklies/NFs for coins/shards.

Amon37

I played the beta but never got the full game at launch. I watched through everything and now it seems like I'll jump in.

FyreWulff

Yeah, that second bit. They're really remodeling the entire game.

Sorta. As of House of Wolves you are 100% guaranteed to become 34 if you play PoE 32 at least once a week for the Armor Core, since it always goes in sequence and never repeats. Zero RNG to hit max level in the game right now. And Xur will have an Exotic armor piece on sale each week so there's the first piece of the 34 puzzle for everyone.

I think a lot of the change is making people feel like their XP is going somewhere, but still having a reason to get nice armor to amplify your base power, instead of needing armor to get to that base power. Destiny was already moving towards armor drops being more a reward than a roadblock to max level.

The completely RNG method of getting max level before wasn't a success since it really was a roadblock (I'm putting in all this effort, but not getting maxed gear) and encouraged people to delete their character to get more rolls per week (not good if they want you to hang on to your characters).

With the newer system, there's a reason to keep your characters, and you can't re-roll new characters within the same week to get more drops for raids since max level is XP based now, which will hopefully make raid gear feel more cool to earn.

So I have Destiny + the season pass, but never really got past level 5. I'm still interested in playing, should I hold off for Taken King? Will this be pretty much a 'better' levelling experience? Or is it just end game that changes?

Deku Tree

So I have Destiny + the season pass, but never really got past level 5. I'm still interested in playing, should I hold off for Taken King? Will this be pretty much a 'better' levelling experience? Or is it just end game that changes?

No the whole campaign from the beginning is being reworked. They even have a new voice actor for the ghost for the whole campaign.

Shiv47

I played Destiny from launch through the end of October, when I got bored/burnt out, and then three friends began playing it earlier this year. Only problem is I was on PS4, and they're all on 360. I have the chance to borrow a 360 long term to play with them when Taken King drops, but even with the consumable to level you up immediately, I sorta hate leaving behind my original character. I'm tempted, anyway.

Deku Tree

I played Destiny from launch through the end of October, when I got bored/burnt out, and then three friends began playing it earlier this year. Only problem is I was on PS4, and they're all on 360. I have the chance to borrow a 360 long term to play with them when Taken King drops, but even with the consumable to level you up immediately, I sorta hate leaving behind my original character. I'm tempted, anyway.

Just an FYI that the performance of Destiny on PS3 and 360 is pretty bad compared to PS4 and X1.

Orayn

Just an FYI that the performance of Destiny on PS3 and 360 is pretty bad compared to PS4 and X1.

Wait, it is? The initial Digital Foundry analysis made it look like it was practically a locked 30. Are there are any particular places or scenarios where it bogs down?

I'm curious because I've only ever played it on PS4 and my impression was that last gen performance was fine.

Deku Tree

Wait, it is? The initial Digital Foundry analysis made it look like it was practically a locked 30. Are there are any particular places or scenarios where it bogs down?

I'm curious because I've only ever played it on PS4 and my impression was that last gen performance was fine.

I own the PS3 and PS4 versions, and I talked to lots of people who played on both X1 and 360. Frame rate is noticeably much worse on my PS3. It can really chug when a lot of enemies are on screen. Also it takes a lot longer to load and scroll through the item menus on PS3, like a huge long boring wait vs happening instantly on PS4.

Rhaegar

I can't speak to the PS versions, but I have both the 360 and Xbone versions (and probably played my first 150 hours or so on the 360 one) and didn't notice any major differences other than the visual fidelity and relative lack of players on 360.

Top Bottom