• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny's raids will not support online matchmaking with random players.

Bummer. I have no friends... that is easily correctible here, though. But why hamper the game this way. If all randoms know what they are getting into, it does (could) work.

One of the problems here is that Destiny currently has no way to meet people and organically form up a group in the game. There isn't a way to hangout in Ironforge saying "LFG Stratholme Baron". You can run around the Tower and randomly invite people just to see if they'd maybe be interested in raiding with you for the next 4 hours, but that is a really poor method, especially when you consider the population limits in an individual Tower instance. So if they aren't going to have any sort of social infrastructure in the game it'd probably be preferable to at least let you hop into raids with people where you can maybe befriend the good players you get matched up with.
Server based text chat please bungie :)

No. I don't need Stormwimd chat all over again.
Do what I did, turn it off until needed.

I was horde until about a month before burning crusade, then made a alt paladin for a gandar at the alliance, fucking hell there chat board was horrible.. and my first visit to goldshire, and been able to understand what they was on about.. shocked was not the world, I went straight back on horde got the guys together and slaughtered them, it felt humane.

todd360

There is so much whining in this thread. Its like port begging only people are begging for less hardcore raiding options.

Step

I really can't understand why some of you guys are defending the lack of matchmaking, if you don't want to play with randoms, it is good for you you can still play without them even if there is a matchmaking, a lot of people doesn't have a lot of friends to play together at the same time, it is way hard just to find 3 more people, let alone 5 more, I know there is DestinyGaf, but not every gamer is a member of this forum, and let's say, ok, you can't play with randoms so just inv anyone close or in the tower, well it would be easier too if there was at least proximity chat, but it is lacking too.

Ascenion

I highly disagree with this.
As for someone who played Wow from day one until cata what killed it for me on a massive scale was raiding with randoms, all social aspect went clean out the window, it turned into a "hello" boss down, and if your lucky to get it in before they instantly fuck off "good job guys"

Raiding with randoms, worst shit ever. The idea is sound but in reality it is shit, I met some great people on my server (earthen ring) through just looking for group, and ending up befriending pretty much most the server that was not some pompus top ranking guild whore.

Believe me I understand as some people won't even type GG anymore, however as far as I know there is no LFG in Destiny. There isn't even a way to talk to random people and that's my biggest issue. All Bungie's limitations make the entire ordeal of a raid hard for someone that doesn't have friends playing. With matchmaking gone there is no way to form this group in game. I'm not sure Bungie thought his through.

DNAbro

"Yeah of course, Im connecting in a minute"
(20min later)
"Hi, sorry, I had to do some important stuff first"
"Oh, sorry dude, I have to leave, something serious just happened!!"

After more 10-20 minutes you find another player that can play at that specific time. But the Raid is more then a hour! Then, there goes "a couple of hours", time to go to sleep frustrated.

Well you can play hypotheticals the other way.

Look for raid, 5 people found, half of them below level 15. Only two others use a mic, one of the a racist 12 year old, 20 minutes in half of them are gone, die.

Go to sleep frustrated.

ultron87

Well you can play hypotheticals the other way.

Look for raid, 5 people found, half of them below level 15. Only two others use a mic, one of the a racist 12 year old, 20 minutes in half of them are gone, die.

Go to sleep frustrated.

Why would they make raid matchmaking that doesn't check your levels?

Kssio_Aug

This game gets better and better. Now bungie allow me to turn off my helm.

How is it any BETTER?
Thats the point that I cant understand. That is some news that dont change anything for those who just plays with clans or friends, and on the other hand eliminate the option for those who enjoy playing with randoms. How is it better, thats something that makes no sense for me.

I really can't understand why some of you guys are defending the lack of matchmaking, if you don't want to play with randoms, it is good for you you can still play without them even if there is a matchmaking, a lot of people doesn't have a lot of friends to play together at the same time, it is way hard just to find 3 more people, let alone 5 more, I know there is DestinyGaf, but not every gamer is a member of this forum, and let's say, ok, you can't play with randoms so just inv anyone close or in the tower, well it would be easier too if there was at least proximity chat, but it is lacking too.
Somehow matchmaking is going to ruin their hardcore six player raid groups. Don't ask me how, it just will, because space magic.

The only way to protect the sanctity of their high end gear that they invested and worked for is to make sure there's no matchmaking allowed. And that makes the game better.

Feels like I'm on crazy pills :)

Fjordson

Well that's the beautiful thing about matchmaking. It would be optional. It would not harm the people that don't like the raid if they fail and the people that just want a quick try at it can still play.
I remember this debate on Halo forums when there wasn't any firefight matchmaking. I think it was for ODST.

I'm in total agreement with you. Never understood the problem. Let the players figure out if they can handle these in pick up groups. I do raids in MMO that are incredibly complex and sometimes take up the better part of a day with pick up groups.

Having the option is always the best way to go and does zero harm to anyone's experience. Like I'm seeing similar responses to the ones I saw after the ODST announcement. "GOOD RANDOMS WONT BE ABLE TO COMPLETE THESE ANYWAYS!!". Makes no sense to me. If someone truly believes that then they probably won't use matchmaking and therefore any failure by random groups to complete the content wouldn't affect them in any way.

gatti-man

So since I'm going to need a high quality mic setup now anyone know what's best? I'd like open ear headphones if possible. Will standard pc headphones work? I have a nice home theater and would rather hear that.

Believe me I understand as some people won't even type GG anymore, however as far as I know there is no LFG in Destiny. There isn't even a way to talk to random people and that's my biggest issue. All Bungie's limitations make the entire ordeal of a raid hard for someone that doesn't have friends playing. With matchmaking gone there is no way to form this group in game. I'm not sure Bungie thought his through.
Yeah I noticed I could not talk to randoms and I was using open chat, assumed they were typical ps players.. you know, fucking mutes.

Give it some phantasy star chat element in the tower or else it is just you watching people dance with a ball with no way to talk to them other than 12 menus by which time they have spunked on the ball kicked at your face done a raid and turned there machine off.

GhaleonEB

If they don't allow for matchmaking then I at least hope they make it easy for clans to organize a raid party, as in a few button clicks easy. Like, -- CyberKiller69 has initiated a Clan Raid call. Would you like to join? ⓧ YES Ⓨ NO -- this easy

I like this idea. In general without matchmaking gathering up friends needs to be dead simple, even easier than spamming your friends list for potential party members. Hopefully this is something Bungie has addressed.

(It would be good if Bungie would start pairing related information. Such as "no matchmaking for raids" + "this is the system you'll use instead".)

"Extremely crafted" sounds good and I hope that means they're doing away with sponges and putting in actual, difficult raid bosses. Well, the raid bosses could be sponges, but I want a challenging sponge, not a shooting gallery with occasional dodging.

Eh, Destiny has some similarities to Warframe. I often find myself friending people that I find to be very good in matchmaking. So even if I fail to complete a really difficult nightmare mode mission in Warframe, I might come across a random person I want to play with again. It's a great way to build a group to play with. That doesn't exist as a possibility in Destiny for Raids.

Exactly, they are cutting this opportunity off for so many players who would like the opportunity to put a "raid crew" together.

Pop

Bummer. I have no friends... that is easily correctible here, though. But why hamper the game this way. If all randoms know what they are getting into, it does (could) work.

End game content was always for the hardcore audience. Not just random people goofing off and quitting in the middle of it. Strikes will be that middle ground like LFR in WoW. Raids will be for people who want to commit to completing the hour(s) long mission. Even if you don't receive epic loot for yourself.

Join DestinyGAF

elcapitan

When Bungie deliberately leaves matchmaking out of a mode, it makes me wonder how extensive and challenging the raid will be. They must realize that this will prevent a lot of people from even checking it out in the first place, much less complete it.

Creating content that only a fraction of the population would get to experience isn't sensible at first glance. I can only assume that they're putting in all this effort to make the endgame truly rewarding for the few dedicated enough to band together. On some level, you have to admire that level of commitment to the hardcore niche.

Bungie appears confident that the main game is social enough that by the time you can even attempt the raid, you would have a sizeable Friend's List. I should hope the full game will have better integration with the clan system. We still don't know how all the social features might be implemented or tweaked for the final release. If it remains like it was in the beta, then that's definitely a problem.

I think most people are worried about the lack of matchmaking because of their concerns about the overall content in the final game. If they can't start a raid, then it means less content for them.

I think if enough people demand it, they'll be forced to put in matchmaking. Probably not right way, but eventually. They want players to go through the game first, meet other players, and have the community grow naturally. It's not like you can access raids on day one anyways.

By all accounts, raids are strictly endgame content. If players are dedicated enough to reach that level, it shouldn't be hard to find others in the same boat, if not through the game, then through outside sources like message boards. The content caters exclusively to those who are willing to set aside time and invest in this endeavor. Bungie feels matchmaking goes against that.

There will probably be a lot to do even without the raid, like running Strikes on Legendary difficulty. Bungie figures that one way or another, if a person is willing to take on the challenge, they'll reach out to others and get together on their own.

I'm not saying Bungie is right for not putting matchmaking in, but I do think the intent will become a lot clearer when we actually see how raids are incorporated in the full game.

If they don't allow for matchmaking then I at least hope they make it easy for clans to organize a raid party, as in a few button clicks easy. Like, -- CyberKiller69 has initiated a Clan Raid call. Would you like to join? ⓧ YES Ⓨ NO -- this easy

Ideally there would be a section of the Tower or second hub area built specifically for this. Like a space bar where level 20+ hang out and can form random fireteams with an "announcement" system.

ShinMaruku

How is it any BETTER?
Thats the point that I cant understand. That is some news that dont change anything for those who just plays with clans or friends, and on the other hand eliminate the option for those who enjoy playing with randoms. How is it better, thats something that makes no sense for me.

Well sadly the fact that if you making something with randoms, you add chaos, people can't cope with chaos. And if it's something NEEDING team work and you have randoms and chaos that makes people lose, they become resentful and hostile, and then you have MOBAs.

I'd rather not have that issue. Hopefully some people build a network with enough randoms they get a good pool of people to do raids with. Also I'm sure randoms could do some great stuff outside of raids.

How is that so different than matchmaking?

TheXbox

The main argument against matchmaking raids with randoms is the lack of communication. Or something. (hey Bungie, maybe your game should have better voice chat support!) People use the example of WoW, like these raids demand everyone to be on their toes and constantly providing feedback. Specific players have to fill certain roles, like the healer, the tank, whatever.

Here's the rub: Destiny doesn't have any of that. There are three classes in this game that player almost exactly the same, and all specialize on the singular act of murdering things. It doesn't demand the same sort of aggressive teamwork that WoW does. Is it better to spend two hours with people you know and can be assured are at least competent at the game? Sure, but the need to have communication isn't on the same level.

Recall

Once the game is out then I guess it will be clear if this was truly a good or bad idea.

I've said what I've wanted over multiple posts so now its just time to wait and see how it all pans out for I.

WaltJay

This news, and after looking at the DestinyGAF roster by console, makes me want to reconsider getting it for 360. I really didn't want to have to buy a new console to play this. PS3 is an option, but I loathe the DS3 for FPS.

LowSignal

I hate the lack of choice here, I REALLY hated firefight without match making in HALO: ODST. Yes I agree in teamwork games you need good teammates but It's nice to play with randoms sometimes and find new friends. I will have to join DestinyGAF for PS4/X1 firesquads.

Homeboyd

I hate the lack of choice here, I REALLY hated firefight without match making in HALO: ODST. Yes I agree in teamwork games you need good teammates but It's nice to play with randoms sometimes and find new friends. I will have to join DestinyGAF for PS4/X1 firesquads.
Which you can still do... just not with Raids.

Archpath1

Tower should just have a npc that acts like WoWs player finder spawns player next to you ,inspect and see if they got what it takes

Still they should have option for Pugs

quetz67

Banned
I don't really know what this is about, but it sounds like a rather important part of the game.

Wasn't I supposed to enjoy this game as a single player experience? But I am locked out of the interesting parts?!?

Eusis

Well that's the beautiful thing about matchmaking. It would be optional. It would not harm the people that don't like the raid if they fail and the people that just want a quick try at it can still play.
True... which is why it might be a solid compromise to allow us to matchmake with others that have mics in. At least if it's lost mid-game it's shown they had one SOMEWHERE, and thus had the ability to communicate. And an exception can be made between those on your friends list because maybe you worked out some sort of third party system, IE Ventrilo, Skype, or just doing it over the phone.

Of course, that then goes back to Bungie's bizarre "no interacting with randoms" policy, so yeah. I think they're kind of sabotaging their own social experience.

DNAbro

I don't really know what this is about, but it sounds like a rather important part of the game.

Wasn't I supposed to enjoy this game as a single player experience? But I am locked out of the interesting parts?!?

Well then enjoy the story. Raids by nature are multiple people

Bungie paid attention to how random matchmaking for PvE content went in WoW and learned the lessons of it well. For some history:

-In 2008, the Wrath of the Lich King expansion was released, and PvE content (both 5-mans and raids) was drastically easier than it was in the previous expansion, The Burning Crusade.
-In 2009, along with the final tier of Lich King content before the next expansion, Blizzard released the dungeon finder tool, allowing players to queue up for any dungeon, be matched with four other players by the computer, and teleport straight there once the group was ready. Since these dungeons were all pretty easy (well, the new dungeons in 3.3 were mildly challenging) you pretty much steamrolled the place without having to plan or coordinate anything, got your loot/badges, and left.
-In 2010, Blizzard released the Cataclysm expansion. In response to complaints that LK dungeons were way too easy, Cataclysm dungeons were significantly harder than LK dungeons, pretty much at the level of BC dungeons. This meant that communication, coordination, use of crowd control, and tight mana management on the part of the healers was required to complete them, which the Lich King generation (referred to by many elitists as "Wrath babies") didn't really know how to do. This resulted in a lot of pain and suffering in dungeon finder groups and a lot of complaining on the forums until they nerfed the dungeons to be closer to LK level again.
-Ever since then, the hardest content in the game has not used automated matchmaking and requires pre-formed groups, and most other MMOs have followed that example. There are tools that allow you to find random strangers to group with on your own, but those are still pre-formed groups with a leader who has the ability to set their own standards for who can and can't be in as well as (hopefully) experience and a plan.

tl;dr- random matchmaking does not work with content that requires any significant amount of coordination or skill.

It is a fair point that there aren't many good tools in Destiny to form a group with strangers in town, though.

OG Loc

This. There weren't any clan tools/options in the beta but I pray there are some in the full game or I will be more than upset.

ShinMaruku

Bungie paid attention to how random matchmaking for PvE content went in WoW and learned the lessons of it well. For some history:

-In 2008, the Wrath of the Lich King expansion was released, and PvE content (both 5-mans and raids) was drastically easier than it was in the previous expansion, The Burning Crusade.
-In 2009, along with the final tier of Lich King content before the next expansion, Blizzard released the dungeon finder tool, allowing players to queue up for any dungeon, be matched with four other players by the computer, and teleport straight there once the group was ready. Since these dungeons were all pretty easy (well, the new dungeons in 3.3 were mildly challenging) you pretty much steamrolled the place without having to plan or coordinate anything, got your loot/badges, and left.
-In 2010, Blizzard released the Cataclysm expansion. In response to complaints that LK dungeons were way too easy, Cataclysm dungeons were significantly harder than LK dungeons, pretty much at the level of BC dungeons. This meant that communication, coordination, use of crowd control, and tight mana management on the part of the healers was required to complete them, which the Lich King generation (referred to by many elitists as "Wrath babies") didn't really know how to do. This resulted in a lot of pain and suffering in dungeon finder groups and a lot of complaining on the forums until they nerfed the dungeons to be closer to LK level again.
-Ever since then, the hardest content in the game has not used automated matchmaking and requires pre-formed groups, and most other MMOs have followed that example. There are tools that allow you to find random strangers to group with on your own, but those are still pre-formed groups with a leader who has the ability to set their own standards for who can and can't be in as well as (hopefully) experience and a plan.

tl;dr- random matchmaking does not work with content that requires any significant amount of coordination or skill.

It is a fair point that there aren't many good tools in Destiny to form a group with strangers in town, though.
Well stated.

I hate the lack of choice here, I REALLY hated firefight without match making in HALO: ODST.
But Destiny has places where you can meet and recruit other players. ODST had no inherent social interaction whatsoever. Destiny has the Tower, Crucible matching, Strike matching, and random encounters. Whether you agree with it or not, they're not omitting Raid matchmaking because they're lazy; they're trying to push players toward better experiences. And reasonably, there's an 80% chance you're going to have a shitty experience matching with 5 random players (1/5 players you match with quits/idles/does not cooperate).

Bungie deliberately left matchmaking out of Halo 3 co-op and Halo ODST firefight. Because they wanted to funnel everyone into vs multi to 'make friends'. They don't get the benefit of the doubt from me.
I call bullshit. Good luck trying to source this.

Jawmuncher

Hope you guys have friends or can make friends to go on those raids.
It's just too much to help players streamline that process game side with matchmaking.

HGStormy

Banned
I have no friends, in real life or on XBL, so basically I'd be doing all the raids alone. :\ Doesn't sound like a ton of fun.

Bungie deliberately left matchmaking out of Halo 3 co-op and Halo ODST firefight. Because reasons
Those reasons being they wanted to funnel everyone into vs multi to 'make friends'
. They don't get the benefit of the doubt from me. Reach was a more tolerable multiplayer experience because I could actually find games.

ZanDatsu

How is that so different than matchmaking?

A clan would at least provide a baseline that doesn't exist with random matchmaking. That baseline will of course vary between clans, with some perhaps not being much better than random matchmaking, but the fact it's there would likely make a big difference I feel. I still would prefer there being an option for matchmaking, just that if they don't provide it then I'd at least like for whatever system they do have to be a seamless one.

Metra

While I'm still "hyped" for Destiny, I think the criticism in this thread is very pertinent and valid. I've also seen some interesting possible solutions for this issue - in this very thread - and I hope Bungie's aware and taking notes.

Top Bottom