• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid: PS4 controller prototype & devkit photo, [Up: New Photo/Info In OP]

-PXG-

I know it's a prototype meant for dev kits only, but god damn is it ugly. Kill it with fire. I really hope the consumer version looks a little nicer.

Yep, and what works best is symmetrical.

It certainly isn't best for me, but that's just my opinion. I had far more comfort playing with Gamecube's asymetrical button layout and Wiimote/Nunchuck's asymmetrical style than any other standard controller. Of course, this excludes fighters(which I love), but that genre is stuck in the 90's just like standard controller design.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Controller_spelling-copy.jpg

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/14/a-closer-look-at-the-playstation-4-controller-prototype

How do these analysis (IGN video and these pictures) keep missing the button on the opposite side of the touch-pad? Or am I seeing things? Those are probably Select and Start.

SmokyDave

I know it's a prototype meant for dev kits only, but god damn is it ugly. Kill it with fire. I really hope the consumer version looks a little nicer.

I like it. Seriously. Make it out of black brushed aluminium and it'd look awesome sitting on top of my receiver.

Sowee

Banned
So sony heard what gaf was crying out loud? Thats good! You guys are saying how bulky it seems to be, but i think its better like that, sure seems confortable.

How do these analysis (IGN video and these pictures) keep missing the button on the opposite side of the touch-pad? Or am I seeing things? Those are probably Select and Start.

You're not seeing things, it's very obvious in the high res version.
Ign analysis is only for people who can't look at a picture and comprehend what they're seeing themselves.

Bowler

I may be a bit biased... as im 6'4" tall, but that is excatly what I was hoping for in the new revision. Bulkier controller, concaved sticks, vita D-pad, better triggers, bigger feel.

Fucking love it

Globox_82

Banned
prototype. The real one will look much better.

I also don't think this will be standard controller. In that case they won't be making any money anytime soon.

Ranger X

Well, "integrated move" sounds more interesting to me than "integrated Kinect" that's for sure. This controller there looks like the perfect middle between being traditional AND incorporating the stupid new forms of controls like movement for instance.

Actually, the WiiU would have needed that controller by default. Nobody will use the WiiU pro controller.

Sid

Drek

prototype. The real one will look much better.

I also don't think this will be standard controller. In that case they won't be making any money anytime soon.

Why do you think that? The touchpad is cheap, the Move sensor lights on the top are also likely quite cheap. Everything else is already in the current DS3 controller.

Globox_82

Banned
Why do you think that? The touchpad is cheap, the Move sensor lights on the top are also likely quite cheap. Everything else is already in the current DS3 controller.

it adds and it becomes a lot when made in millions. For example if that "little" extra costs sony 20-30 usd per controller. X ten million in first year or whatever. It ends up being a lot. IF they are going to cover it. And that's just the controller.

Bowler

Other way around bro. It's making fun of all the people who claim it's impossible to hold a dual shock controller.

Its not impossible, it just flat out sucks if you have big hands... the current ds3 feels brittle, no trigger or R3/L3 resistence, and third party controllers have a lag to them.... kinda sucks bro.

Ardenyal

it adds and it becomes a lot when made in millions. For example if that "little" extra costs sony 20-30 usd per controller. X ten million in first year or whatever. It ends up being a lot. IF they are going to cover it. And that's just the controller.

the touch panel probably costs a couple dollars, an LED light costs a lot less than that. It does add up when multiplied by millions but it's a fairly small cost to add those features.

Alx

Ehhhhhhh what? Did Sony not learn from the Sixaxis? Motion control in a gamepad is dumb.

Since the gamepad doubles as a Move controller apparently, the inertial sensors are required. (I'm not sure if/how you can comfortably handle it with one hand, though)

Alx

This "Move sensor" lable is quite lol worthy. It's just a LED.

Just like the Move sphere... But it's true the word "sensor" is inappropriate, since it doesn't sense anything. It could be labeled "Move emitter", or something like that.

1-D_FTW

It's a new day and I only like the look of that controller more. Sony controllers have generally been my least favorite every gen. But the way they subtly changed the ergonomics, sticks, and added the move light make it pretty awesome. If that touchpad is sensitive enough to use for aiming instead of the right stick in FPS games, they will have pretty much created the perfect controller (minus biofeedback grips).

Top Bottom