• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid: PS4 controller prototype & devkit photo, [Up: New Photo/Info In OP]

Does this Boomerang PS4 Controller Concept Look Great?

7d31f29339cbd52d4fea37d733a4ec3f.jpg
ps4-concept.jpg

More at the link.
By: Justin Quinn – a freelance 3D artist and designer.
Terrible. One analog stick is bigger than the other and the left one is in the wrong place.

Orayn

I'll get flack for this, but the GC controller was atrocious.

If it had a face botton layout ala SNES and a regular analog stick instead of the C stick it would have been heavenly.

The face button layout was one of the best things about the Gamecube controller.

waypoetic

Banned
We've now moved away from the topic and are now discussing other console controllers - the sort of thing that we said we didn't want and told others not to start. Great.

Gilby

The face button layout was one of the best things about the Gamecube controller.

Yup. It actually took into account the way the thumb moves. It doesn't slide on a flat plane, as other controllers would suggest, it rotates around the area above the palm.

The controller looks terrible, but otherwise I like the analog sticks and proper triggers. Also, that they managed to incorporate Move's glowing ball into the controller? Hope that's true.

onQ123

With the way Call of Duty is selling this Generation I wonder if the Xbox Next is going to make their controller even better for FPS?

Let's try this again, Concept I cooked up earlier (originally a personal project to rebrand Sony but then I started thinking about PS4 and switched focus). Got inspired by Sony's BR players from CES 2012 but wanted to pay homage to the PS2. Thought about the layout logically(I'm not a thermal dynamics expert but I did draw a product sketch of how the air flow MIGHT work. I wanted to use triangles and play up Sony's flagship BR player. I went with PS2-esque design because while PSX redefined gaming I think the PS2 was the more iconic of the two consoles in several ways. Anyways yeah, made out of boredom in Photoshop.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
The new picture looks real enough. Has this been confirmed to be real?

Like the design but I suppose with all the gimmicks a spare controller won't be less than 60 bucks.

Let's try this again, Concept I cooked up earlier (originally a personal project to rebrand Sony but then I started thinking about PS4 and switched focus). Got inspired by Sony's BR players from CES 2012 but wanted to pay homage to the PS2. Thought about the layout logically(I'm not a thermal dynamics expert but I did draw a product sketch of how the air flow MIGHT work. I wanted to use triangles and play up Sony's flagship BR player. I went with PS2-esque design because while PSX redefined gaming I think the PS2 was the more iconic of the two consoles in several ways. Anyways yeah, made out of boredom in Photoshop.

I like it. Not bad at all.

ibun

thats a really really sweet design. i would prefere it in all black matte but still nice design. love that diffuse white light with that bluish tint wrapping around the corner, but the signiture color is green ^-^. none the less, very sweet

Kyoufu

If by best you mean worst then yes, I agree.

Just look at that B button. Hilarious.

And that Y/X positioning. My mind is full of fuck. GameCube design was pretty funny. I mean let's forget about the controller and look at the handle behind the console... :lol

Foshy

I like it.

Cartman86

Banned

Love it

raven777

I absolutely love the box design.

I like that you are using the PS2 design of having 2 layers, with smaller bottom one and bigger one at the top. The original fat PS3 sticked with this concept as well, and I hope PS4 does as well.

PaulLFC

Does this Boomerang PS4 Controller Concept Look Great?

7d31f29339cbd52d4fea37d733a4ec3f.jpg
ps4-concept.jpg

More at the link.
By: Justin Quinn – a freelance 3D artist and designer.
Don't like the controller at all.

- Changed position of the left stick and d-pad - why?
- The left stick is huge compared to the right stick for no apparent reason
- The d-pad looks rubbish
- The touchpad - what is even going on with the touchpad? It's not even a logical shape so couldn't be used for anything
- The handles are at a weird angle

I really want to be able to manually put in my disc, none of this "feeding" crap so whenever the system decides to stop working I must perform surgery to recover my game.

Hopefully the super slim PS3 is a good sign for this.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Don't like the controller at all.

- Changed position of the left stick and d-pad - why?
- The left stick is huge compared to the right stick for no apparent reason
- The d-pad looks rubbish
- The touchpad - what is even going on with the touchpad? It's not even a logical shape so couldn't be used for anything
- The handles are at a weird angle

Looks like some sort of "tiger handheld" old school LCD game lol The controller that is.

Top Bottom