• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid: Xbox One can run four apps at the same time in the background

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
So wait, how does the game dvr thing work.

For PS4- Captures your last 15 minutes of gameplay.

For Xbox- Captures 5 minutes? I genuinely don't know. I keep hearing 30 seconds thrown around.
It's a 5 minute buffer with a voice command to automatically store the last 30 seconds of gameplay without jumping into a menu.

"So the idea is that you're always recording. We have a ring buffer game DVR basically, so the last five minutes of any game you're playing is always being stored locally on your hard drive," Ken Lobb, creative director at Microsoft said tp CVG.

"Let me give you two scenarios. Scenario one: I'm playing online and I just did the best thing ever. I can't pause [because] I'm playing online. You can say 'Xbox, record that', it'll grab the last 30 seconds and save it for you to play with later."

"So now let's say you're not playing online and you do the best combo or you have the best fight ever," Lobb continued. "You can finish after that fight, that thing you just did is within the last five minutes, you can go into that last five minutes and scrub it for the best stuff - I want that four seconds and this ten seconds and this 30 seconds and then I want that ultra combo."

http://global.christianpost.com/news/ps4-vs-xbox-one-which-game-dvr-features-are-better-101878/

PS4 also has trim commands done via controller input, but I don't think they've shown off the ability to splice different clips together.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
It is a cool feature, but tbh, I don't even know what apps I want to be running in the background. All the functions I want are already covered by OS level functions.

flkraven

Does matchmaking take that long that you have to switch to another game while its looking?

Maybe not Day 1, but I just tried to join a multiplayer match for Beautiful Katamari. 0 Games available. I can leave the game running for 2 weeks until someone wants to play, or I can queue it in matchmaking and be notified when enough people are organized to play.

psrock

In all honesty, I think this is what Microsoft means when they say their system is 'balanced'. I have no doubt that the PS4 will have superior graphics and that 'balanced' is a PR-speak creation, but I believe this is where Microsoft has an edge. I expect their OS to run smoother and more intuitively than Sony's. Time will tell!

You know there is videos showing both UI. There's nothing xbox does the PS4 won't do expect for the HDMI input.

Bsigg12

Thats cool. Why only 5 min though? Honest question. 15 min as well would be great. Perfect youtube lengths.

Does matchmaking take that long that you have to switch to another game while its looking?

They never really said why only 5 minutes. I think they're assuming if you're getting video of longer length you either a) have a capture kit b) are streaming on Twitch from the console at which point you could archive your stream or c) both a and b.

As far as matchmaking goes, it sounds like you'll be able to throw some really crazy filters onto matchmaking and get your perfect (or as close to perfect) game. They used Forza 5 as an example as being able to pick the track, car, difficulty and driving assist settings to filter out what you want to play rather than being lumped into a general match that has an open slot. That's for really rare cases, FPSes and other games will still have the near instant drop in matches where smartmatch won't need to do a thorough search for you.

Cool for people that have interest in running PC apps on their console and switching back n forth between TV/movies while gaming. (I guess.)
Myself, when I sit down to play a game, I do just that. And that only.
Besides, I have a PC monitor alongside my TV for checking PC apps/websites/forums/etc.

But enjoy, XboxOne owners.

VanWinkle

Some very neat sounding stuff in there. I assume PS4 will do at least that many apps if Vita is anything to go by (6 apps at once, I believe). Next-gen is very exciting. I can't wait.

Didn't Albert say like a month ago that he was going to try and get a video of a live demo of the UI online for people to watch. Wonder what happened with that.

Am I missing something? Cant the Vita do more than that?

I was expecting the xbone to able to run at least 10 windows 8 apps in a suspend state as well as one full game. Doesn't it have over 5 gb of ram free at any one time? The typical app shouldnt be more than 100mb in size.

Killthee

Only one game? Whatever happened to "you can wait for it to find you a match on CoD by playing some Killer Instinct" or whatever. Are we gonna pretend that wasn't said, now?
Pretty sure you can run smart match in the background without actually loading the game.
you guys shouldnt be impressed, these machines are fucking powerful... ofcourse xbox one is gonna be able to run 4 apps.
Running multiple apps isn't surprising, but the actual number of 4 apps at the same time is something I hadn't heard about before and I thought it was noteworthy.
For some reason I thought it would be more.

Still not bad.
Me too, but I'm guessing it seamlessly suspends apps and restores them so the limit doesn't really matter for most apps.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Game DVR not having YouTube or Facebook support until next year is kind of surprising. Sony had Facebook support running at their unveiling in February. Why would they not have this support up and running for launch? Seems really odd to me. For a feature like this you would think that getting in social network support would be the top priority for. It must be something they scrambled to add at the last minute when they saw Sony doing it, and haven't had time to integrate any support outside of XBL.
It's nothing they should have to "scramble" for, certainly not with 6 months advance warning. Youtube and FB already have APIs for this sort of thing, so it's actually a lot easier to implement uploads to their _existing_ services than to have create a whole new one behind XBL to upload. But then, that's exactly why there's a lag here...to try to justify the XBL-gated service.

BBOY267

Neo Member
I have a habit of going on IMDB message boards when I watch movies, and I also look at gamefaqs and youtube videos when i play some single player games. So instead of me ussing my laptop, it may be easier to just snap it on my tv.

JaggedSac

It's nothing they should have to "scramble" for, certainly not with 6 months advance warning. Youtube and FB already have APIs for this sort of thing, so it's actually a lot easier to implement uploads to their _existing_ services than to have create a whole new one behind XBL to upload. But then, that's exactly why there's a lag here...to try to justify the XBL-gated service.

They are tying all of these uploads and things into the marketplace for games as well. So when browsing games, you can see videos that people have uploaded for that game. Best to not have to rely on a 3rd party service for that functionality. Especially when they can change APIs or something that could break your functionality.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Recognition stuff sounds neat.

Penella says that these clips will only be able to be shared on Xbox Live at launch. They'll have social sites like YouTube and Facebook set up for sharing by next year.

Bummer. Surprised there is no separate GAF rage thread on this considering what happened when people tried to spread FUD over PS4 not being able to share to Youtube. hah

Bsigg12

Looking nice. The UI is going to be the differentiator that I'm surprised they havent pushed more

I have a feeling it has only really come together where they feel confident running within the last couple weeks. There's a reason besides the DRM stuff that there was going to be a day 1 patch, and it's to give them more time to work on the UI. They must have hit a milestone that is allowing them to start showing it off publicly without any major hiccups.

They are tying all of these uploads and things into the marketplace for games as well. So when browsing games, you can see videos that people have uploaded for that game. Best to not have to rely on a 3rd party service for that functionality. Especially when they can change APIs or something that could break your functionality.

I'm really interested to see how the "Channels" work. Every game and player has a channel that has these 30 second clips and other things on it. I guess if your clip of a certain game is viewed enough, it can be brought onto the channel of that game for anyone on Xbox Live to see when looking at the game.

Killthee

I am hoping for NO ads/less ads.

I know it's not going to happen but I can dream.
The right side of the home screen has reserved slots for items MS is promoting.

The home screen will populate with whatever Microsoft chooses to promote, which will usually be news for the platform as well as new store items. We did not have a chance to see how content will be navigated from this point. Here's hoping we'll see that soon.

DSC03444-620x.jpg

The other categories also have slots reserved for stuff like new releases and featured.

9S7rME6.jpg

At least this time around though Kinect voice commands should let you jump directly to any part of the UI so you don't have to waddle through several screens if you just want to see something like the program guide.

JaggedSac

I'm loving the UI. Hopefully the voice stuff works well and hopefully they reveal how the 3rd party app store is going to work. I am really hoping for a PLEX app quickly after launch.

BBOY267

Neo Member
It is a feature, friend, why would you not advertise it?

people seem to think that just because Sony doesnt play stuff up and MS does, MS is somehow being silly or something. If anything, I think its weird that Sony isnt doing the same thing. But maybe its a American/ Japanese difference

Sounds like they are going for that tablet/phone-like experience we've all become accustomed to on your TV. Don't know if it will work?

TrueGrime

At least this time around though Kinect voice commands should let you jump directly to any part of the UI so you don't have to waddle through a several screens if you just want to see something like the program guide.

I have to admit, that is one fucking sexy UI.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
There's nothing stopping them from having the dedicated XBL service *and* offering options to upload to 3rd parties. In fact that's exactly what Penello is saying they're going to do next year. All, I'm saying is that the amount of work required to enable that is certainly not what's holding it up.

Game DVR not having YouTube or Facebook support until next year is kind of surprising. Sony had Facebook support running at their unveiling in February. Why would they not have this support up and running for launch? Seems really odd to me. For a feature like this you would think that getting in social network support would be the top priority for. It must be something they scrambled to add at the last minute when they saw Sony doing it, and haven't had time to integrate any support outside of XBL.

This suprises me as well

I can't fathom such a thing taking much R&D resources but perhaps it does?

Dukey

Banned
I'm not really impressed by the headliner. Multitasking programs is par for the course for all modern electronics, and that seems like it's just designed to drum up enthusiasm.

The wave sign in thing is kind of neat though!

All of them huh? Dont tell Nintendo.

All of this sounds great. MS is exceptional with this stuff.

Bsigg12

There's nothing stopping them from having the dedicated XBL service *and* offering options to upload to 3rd parties. In fact that's exactly what Penello is saying they're going to do next year. All, I'm saying is that the amount of work required to enable that is certainly not what's holding it up.

It's probably so low on the list of features that need to be completed before launch that it really doesn't matter how "easy" it would be to implement it. With what they're saying the UI will be able to do at launch, sharing directly to Facebook or YouTube is kinda on the tail end when compared to getting a full operational Xbox Games Store, social hooks between Gamertags, and for the US at least, fully functional TV Guide support.

calcu007

Neo Member
Am I missing something? Cant the Vita do more than that?

I was expecting the xbone to able to run at least 10 windows 8 apps in a suspend state as well as one full game. Doesn't it have over 5 gb of ram free at any one time? The typical app shouldnt be more than 100mb in size.

Nop, Xbone only has 3GB for its 3 OS and apps, the other 5GB is only for games

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I wonder if you'll be able to play your own music while playing a game and set the game's music volume to 0. Custom soundtrack, good for various genres.

Killthee

I'm loving the UI. Hopefully the voice stuff works well and hopefully they reveal how the 3rd party app store is going to work. I am really hoping for a PLEX app quickly after launch.
Speaking about their app ecosystem, I saw this pop up on VG247 yesterday:

TAMI RELLER: That's terrific. Thanks, Satya. Thanks, Qi. I would also note that Kevin Turner had a slide in his deck that really highlighted our offerings today on that front, and so that's another good reference point for those interested there.

So our next question we also get a lot. We got a lot in submissions for today as well. This one came from Hari at Neuberger and asked: How are you going to make progress toward a common development platform across multiple screens, specifically phone, TV, PC and tablet?

So, Terry, that obviously is right at you, and I know this is near and dear to your heart.

TERRY MYERSON (new lead for the OS group [PC, tablet, phone, and Xbox]): Thanks. We've been together, brought all the OS groups together at the company for about two months now. And we really haven't been wasting any time in terms of organizing all of our efforts in the operating system area around three key beliefs.

The first of those is that we really should have one silicon interface for all of our devices. We should have one set of developer APIs on all of our devices. And all of the apps we bring to end users should be available on all of our devices.

The second belief was that all of our devices are becoming more cloud-powered. So whether we're branding them Windows or Xbox, we really need one core service which is enabling all of our devices.

And the third belief was that each of our devices require a tailored experience to be really special for the customer, whether that's a three-inch phone, or it's a 9-inch tablet, or a 14-inch clamshell, or a 60-inch television playing Xbox games, we want to facilitate thecreation of a common, a familiar experience across all of those devices, but a fundamentally tailored and unique experience for each device.

So our team is now organized in this way. We had a core team that will bring those silicon interfaces together, bring those developer platforms together, approach delivery of apps to the customers in a common way. We have one team delivering the core services that will light up our devices. And then we have satellite teams each focused on each of the device categories, so each of them can be reflective of what the customer expects in that place.

We have a very clear vision of what we want to get done, and we're moving very fast.

http://view.officeapps.live.com/op/.../downloads/events/EngineerPanel_FAM_2013.docx

TheCloser

Banned
how is this impressive? my phone can do that, my pc can do that, a vita can do that, a laptop can do that, an iPad can do that. This is expected.

bebop242

Impressive, any word on the PS4? I figure its at least 2 at a time with background music streaming, but I would imagine its more then that.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
The way the open apps you have are organized and how X is the go home button universally are cool. Snap got a little bit more help which I like. But, it's all pretty standard fare.

Tapiozona

Banned
how is this impressive? my phone can do that, my pc can do that, a vita can do that, a laptop can do that, an iPad can do that. This is expected.

Which part are you talking about? The apps in the background or everything else? Because all those devices aren't able to do all of that.

Are you just here to bash any news because it's xbox news? It's simply new information being released, that is all.

Dukey

Banned

I'll name for you all the devices currently attached to my TV that can currently do it.

That's it. That's the list. How is it impressive? Because it and the PS4 (in theory) are going to be the first mass consumer consoles to do it.

Sez

How is it impressive? Because it and the PS4 (in theory) are going to be the first mass consumer consoles to do it.

It's good and it can be impressive for average consumers, but I really doubt it's impressive for most GAF.

iOS devices can't run multiple apps at the same time. It suspends/resumes them.
A few services can be multitasked, like music playing and navigation, but not a full app.

balohna

Stuff like your friends list and chat seem to be apps. Gone are the days of using the guide overlay. Long live Microsoft's "People like phones, right? Let's make everything phones!" logic.

Top Bottom