• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid: Xbox One can run four apps at the same time in the background

Cels

i know that destructoid is a legit site but it's rather hard to take this article seriously when they mispell the key engineer's name.

also, on ios, chrome does this annoying thing where if you have a memory-intensive tab open and switch tabs or apps, then back to that first tab, chrome does not preserve that tab but instead forces a quick refresh. hopefully there isn't any of that going on due to the xbone's much beefier hardware

Stuff like your friends list and chat seem to be apps. Gone are the days of using the guide overlay. Long live Microsoft's "People like phones, right? Let's make everything phones!" logic.
Uh actually abstracting functionality into apps is the best deign choice.
No point in reserving resources from the OS for chat when a large chunk of users aren't going to use chat.

It's best to allow users to determine which additional functionality they want the OS to run in the background and use the rest for other system tasks that all users benefit from like making the UI faster, etc.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
It's probably so low on the list of features that need to be completed before launch that it really doesn't matter how "easy" it would be to implement it. With what they're saying the UI will be able to do at launch, sharing directly to Facebook or YouTube is kinda on the tail end when compared to getting a full operational Xbox Games Store, social hooks between Gamertags, and for the US at least, fully functional TV Guide support.
Yes, it's clearly low on their list, which is what I explained to Yoday in the first place. No need to reiterate.

This really is looking pretty cool!

I love how streamlined the sign in process is.

Game DVR not having YouTube or Facebook support until next year is kind of surprising. Sony had Facebook support running at their unveiling in February. Why would they not have this support up and running for launch? Seems really odd to me. For a feature like this you would think that getting in social network support would be the top priority for. It must be something they scrambled to add at the last minute when they saw Sony doing it, and haven't had time to integrate any support outside of XBL.

No, it was probably planned.

1. Nothing but XBL to share on may be a good way to get people to get used to using their service for sharing videos. That's actually a good idea.

2. Companies often run into difficulties getting agreements finalized in a timely manner. It's just part of business.

Bsigg12

i know that destructoid is a legit site but it's rather hard to take this article seriously when they mispell the key engineer's name.

also, on ios, chrome does this annoying thing where if you have a memory-intensive tab open and switch tabs or apps, then back to that first tab, chrome does not preserve that tab but instead forces a quick refresh. hopefully there isn't any of that going on due to the xbone's much beefier hardware

That's a function on Chrome for mobile. It happens on Android as well. It sucks when you're leaving a site open and keeping it tabbed and then not touch it for a little while because it forces that refresh. I doubt this would happen to the apps on the Xbox One unless it's something that needs to update data for whatever reason. The NFL.com fantasy football app for example actually updates in real time, rather than in intervals which is pretty nifty, so hopefully most apps just do that.

Yes, it's clearly low on their list, which is what I explained to Yoday in the first place. No need to reiterate.

Oh, my bad.

MaulerX

iOS devices can't run multiple apps at the same time. It suspends/resumes them.
A few services can be multitasked, like music playing and navigation, but not a full app.

Exactly. People are confusing having multiple suspended apps with multiple apps running at the same time.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The talk is nice and sounds interesting but I get the feeling that most of the stuff will be patched in with the day 1 patch since they are producing them now.

Whenever they show the UI, it's likely an up to date WIP that will likely need to be patched in. That's how it feels like to me since they aren't exactly showing this out in public.

Bsigg12

The talk is nice and sounds interesting but I get the feeling that most of the stuff will be patched in with the day 1 patch since they are producing them now.

Whenever they show the UI, it's likely an up to date WIP that will likely need to be patched in. That's how it feels like to me since they aren't exactly showing this out in public.

What's wrong with that? Gives them more time to continue working on this to get it running the best it can so on launch after the update, you're set. It's better than what Nintendo did with the Wii U's atrociously slow UI.

TheCloser

Banned
iOS devices can't run multiple apps at the same time. It suspends/resumes them.
A few services can be multitasked, like music playing and navigation, but not a full app.

We don't know if the apps are suspended in the background. They have 3gb set aside for the os but ram is not all it takes to run apps. I'm not bashing because its xbox news, i'm bashing because its irrelevant news. Multitasking should not be touted as a feature since pc's have been doing it for God knows how long.

We don't know if the apps are suspended in the background. They have 3gb set aside for the os but ram is not all it takes to run apps. I'm not bashing because its xbox news, i'm bashing because its irrelevant news. Multitasking should not be touted as a feature since pc's have been doing it for God knows how long.

So no console feature that a PC can do should be touted?

Bsigg12

Anyone else find it strange that Albert does all these PR gigs when he is supposedly not PR?

Anybody can do PR, he just fits the profile better for interviews and demos since he is the lead of product planning. He has a really good amount of knowledge of the console overall, maybe not so much technically, but for the features they're offering.

C Jones

But how long have consoles been doing it for?

Oh come on.

Anyone else find it strange that Albert does all these PR gigs when he is supposedly not PR?
Would you classify Cerny as Sony PR? He does interviews.

rjc571

Banned
Kinect IR blaster:
The Kinect does neat things for living room connectivity. It acts as a IR blaster on steroids, sending out so many IR beams that it completely fills a room. These beams bounce off walls and other surfaces, reflecting back at any exposed device in the room. This means that your electronics on shelves, even behind glass, will be able to be controlled by the Xbox One.

Microsoft has set up control schemes that work like Logitech's Harmony system. Your television, receiver, set top box, and other devices will work from your voice commands. We saw a television's volume change from voice commands in a demonstration.

Filling the entire room with Infrared beams? Sounds like a good way to get skin cancer.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
What's wrong with that? Gives them more time to continue working on this to get it running the best it can so on launch after the update, you're set. It's better than what Nintendo did with the Wii U's atrociously slow UI.

I want to see more of it instead of read about it.

As I said before, I get the feeling that their SW situation is kind of behind like the rumors state. But you know there will be patching up on any new HW launch so I just hope it all works and there's no issues with Xbone and PS4.

I'm not really impressed by the headliner. Multitasking programs is par for the course for all modern electronics, and that seems like it's just designed to drum up enthusiasm.

The wave sign in thing is kind of neat though!

It really shows how long these consoles have been out.

Silky

Banned
...So...is Custom Soundtracks back? Because this is the only thing that could benefit from the multi-apps for me.

they can. What remote?

Remote? Whats that? Is it something that can be found in the void known as the living room?

On a more serious note, It'd be cool if they implement everything by GOOD voice control. It's gonna be neat if I can watch E3 on the big screen and comment on gaf threads on the web via voice recognition simultaneously. (Provided gaf doesn't crap out during the next E3)

Remote? Whats that? Is it something that can be found in the void known as the living room?

On a more serious note, It'd be cool if they implement everything by GOOD voice control. It's gonna be neat if I can watch E3 on the big screen and comment on gaf threads on the web via voice recognition simultaneously. (Provided gaf doesn't crap out during the next E3)

GAF needs balance.

Bedlam

The Xbone sounds more and more like it's primerily an awkward remote control. Not really something I'd pay 499€ for.

Bsigg12

I want to see more of it instead of read about it.

As I said before, I get the feeling that their SW situation is kind of behind like the rumors state. But you know there will be patching up on any new HW launch so I just hope it all works and there's no issues with Xbone and PS4.

Aww I see. I too hope that each system is handled well and doesn't suffer from hardware failure or some OS bugs. That said, launches are typically prone to have something happen.

On the topic of finally seeing it, as I posted earlier, now that Microsoft is beginning to show off the OS more and more to press, I wouldn't be surprised if we get a video this week about the UI and all its features. Major Nelson a week or two back said that him and Acey Bongos were shooting some video for the Xbox One so I wonder if any of those videos cover the UI.

So here is the thing. These features are nice. Don't be haters people. Admit it. They are nice. And...if I was getting an XB1 I'd be real sure to try them out. Who knows they might even be useful and I'd end up as one of those statistics that Microsoft trots out to prove that we really really want a full on multimedia box. But...

I'm not getting an XB1 because the only reason I'd spend $500 on a console would be to play games. I'm not looking for yet another way to watch TV on my TV, or see my tablet app on my TV.

I'm being a little cute here, but the point I'm trying to make is that Microsoft needs to emphasize games for its gaming device. They've tried numerous version of Microsoft TV since the turn of the century, and the only thing that has had any traction at all was when the Xbox put gaming as its core primary goal. Everything else Microsoft did failed miserably. I'll admit that I'm ranting for no good reason. Microsoft will have to live with the consequences of the compromises they made to make the XB1 a multimedia device for the rest of the next generation. It's too late to turn that ship around now.

Top Bottom