• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid: Xbox One can run four apps at the same time in the background

kartu

Banned
A console with 8Gb of RAM and 8 core CPU can run 4 "somethings, but not games" in the background.

Very exciting.

DieH@rd

Banned
With that much hardware dedicated only for OS, I expected all of this.

But still, shame a lot of Xbone OS functionality is behind Gold paywall [even IE, GameDVR and Skype].

pelican

Personally I would take KI at native 1080p rather than the ability to run apps in the background.

I have a phone and a tablet. Remind me why I need apps on my console as well?

Bgamer90

Banned
Personally I would take KI at native 1080p rather than the ability to run apps in the background.

So your tablet/phone has a screen the same size as your TV screen?

Heh, I understand if some of you guys aren't interested in this but some of the complaints about this are really shortsighted and/or flawed.

IT Slave

Banned
I just removed the Harmony One remote from my Amazon wishlist. The IR blaster thing is huge for me and will be huge for a lot of people who need to buy a RF adapter with the IR dongles which I believe is $80 by itself.

Kinect is huge for this purpose alone.

If your other devices do it, why wouldn't your console be able to as well?

Are you at a gaming disadvantage if your console can multi-task?

Southside Jim

Neo Member
Have to admit, the whole "center of the living room" is one of the biggest selling points on the X1 for me.

Wow, I'm a dinosaur, aren't I?

Ushae

Banned
I seriously cannot wait to use kinect 2 to voice control all my stuff. Imagine controlling lights in your room, making them dim just by saying Xbox on. I wonder if it could do that?

Awesome stuff. Strangely enough, this stuff comes first with me. Now that I have a baby, being able to control everything with my voice is extremely appealing because my arms are always doing something.
I also want dead rising. Caaaaant wait.

This applies to me too, my 7 month old boy can be a handful sometimes, handsfree control will be amazing for me.

Hey Albert, any time frame on when we can expect a video demoing all this for those of us not privy to attend press appointments? I'm really wanting to see the UI in action.

Also really looking forward to a proper demo.

If you were so inclined, you can turn off the video feed. However, Kinect works in much smaller spaces, and identity will still work great in a smaller room.

Nice of you to drop by again Albert :)

We add in a 3-4 second buffer to allow the user to cancel in case (s)he changes his/her mind. Otherwise, the time to load the next game would be whatever it takes to load the next game (when using voice). It's not 10 seconds.

Or I could just hit a couple buttons on the controller and be done with it faster.

just tray

Awesome if these apps can run along side a game and actually enhance the gaming experience at the same time. I can play, for example, Angry Birds but all I can do with it is share and like and take a screenshot.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
So your tablet/phone has a screen the same size as your TV screen?

Heh, I understand if some of you guys aren't interested in this but some of the complaints about this are really shortsighted and/or flawed.
His criticism seems pretty coherent and valid. He wants the balance of the system's power shifted more towards gaming capability. How is that flawed?

And building UI for TV screens to ensure that text is legible from far away, etc. inherently means that you just don't get any better display density than you do on a tablet, for example. What would make better use of the TV's screen size is a game that could render at the panel's native resolution...

Caayn

Because the few % of the total systems graphical power is enough to double the native resolution of KI.

Whew! I was worried that I could only run one or two items at once. Because, you know - I would really love to be doing something else at the same time I am playing a game ...

Jack_AG

Banned
Does it really matter? You're only going to be looking at 1 at a time anyway. I'm pretty sure Vita runs as many as that too at the same time, if not more.
It can matter if you want things to load and get ready for you while you do other things. Imagine if tabs in your browser only loaded when you were on them instead of in the BG. Now does it matter?

Hoo-doo

Banned
It can matter if you want things to load and get ready for you while you do other things. Imagine if tabs in your browser only loaded when you were on them instead of in the BG. Now does it matter?

It's suspending the apps. They don't keep loading. They just temporarily get frozen while you switch to something else.

That's the point, and why it's kind of odd that it'll only allow four apps to do this.

Klocker

Nice. Just as it is supposed to work baby. Cant wait to boot it up in November and play with all the new cool features

All the things I lamented while playing last gen consoles and wondering why they couldn't do those things.

Finally here

Bgamer90

Banned
His criticism seems pretty coherent and valid. He wants the balance of the system's power shifted more towards gaming capability. How is that flawed?

His criticism (at least the one he stated) had nothing to do with that.

Apps, (in particular video apps) are more appealing to many when used on bigger screens. Hence why the tablet/phone comparison was silly.

And building UI for TV screens to ensure that text is legible from far away, etc. inherently means that you just don't get any better display density than you do on a tablet, for example. What would make better use of the TV's screen size is a game that could render at the panel's native resolution...

Haha, wow. Okay. Obvious that some of you guys are too shortsighted to understand.

Might as well not buy any future game consoles either since they will all have these app features.

IT Slave

Banned
This really is looking pretty cool!

I love how streamlined the sign in process is.

No, it was probably planned.

1. Nothing but XBL to share on may be a good way to get people to get used to using their service for sharing videos. That's actually a good idea.

2. Companies often run into difficulties getting agreements finalized in a timely manner. It's just part of business.

Yeah, why give Facebook ad revenue for your userbase?

nynt9

I don't see a scenario where I'd want to run a game + 4 apps, MS should sell people on this feature if they want to convince us it's a useful diversion of system resources.

IT Slave

Banned
You're contradicting yourself so badly here

I.e. the xbo does the exact same thing as phones do, minimize/suspend apps that are not currently actively being used depending on the apps resource requirements in different states. Perfect example, multi-window support on galaxy SIII and 4. Is the xbo doing anything impressive in this regard? No, only 4 apps is kinda disappointing actually when you've got 3GB of ram dedicated to the OS(s)

Where did you get this information. This sounds false. Xbox One runs a stripped down version of the Hyper-V hypervisor. It's actually running two virtual machines, Xbox OS and Windows 8. With virtualization both VMs are running concurrently. There is no suspending. When you're playing a game and then switch to an app like Hulu, the game is still running.

MS has the four app limit as a walled-garden approach to avoid having people to mess around with things such as memory management. This thing will run Windows, but MS won't allow you to pull up task manager to kill an app to deal with performance. The best way to do this is to allow only a fixed number of apps to run at a time.

I really like W8 and WP8 so I think that Xbone will have great OS too. Only thing it needs is
an adblocker
more ads.

Windows 8 sucks... Windows 7 sucks too nowdays. I miss Xp and its superior performance and controllability. Shame about seven. It started so well. I hope Sony and mikkisofta do not atificially limit number of small app running just for the sake of it.

Bsigg12

Windows 8 sucks... Windows 7 sucks too nowdays. I miss Xp and its superior performance and controllability. Shame about seven. It started so well. I hope Sony and mikkisofta do not atificially limit number of small app running just for the sake of it.

That's a joke right? Windows 7 destroys XP and 8 even tops that in terms of performance.

Pillville

False!
If someone made a console that only play games in this day & age it would fail.

I buy gaming consoles for gaming.

My 360 & PS3 are only turned on to play video games, when I'm done, they get turned off.

I can't be the only gamer here on this gaming forum upset that gaming machines are turning into catch-all devices.

shandy706

I find the Kinect/voice stuff to be the most interesting part of this article.

I buy gaming consoles for gaming.

My 360 & PS3 are only turned on to play video games, when I'm done, they get turned off.

I can't be the only gamer here on this gaming forum upset that gaming machines are turning into catch-all devices.

There are people that buy a Wii/360/PS3 just to have a cheap Netflix device that does other things.

Gestault

Okay, no shit! I can run 4 apps in the background on my smartphone (1 GB of RAM) & my PC (6 GB of RAM). So I expect to be able to do it on the next-gen consoles that have 8GB of RAM.

Ok, that's an observation that doesn't necessarily have much bearing on this conversation. Can the 360? Can the PS3? Can the Wii or the Wii U? Can the PS4? Can you name a dedicated set-top gaming box that can?

Since this is new information, and a hands-on session that let press observe this running on basically the same boxes buyers would have in their hands by holiday this year, I don't know that your griping really contributes much here except that you found a crude way to say almost nothing.

All in all, the One is a good mix of things. If they shaved $100 of the price it would be a great console despite having some inferior specs to the PS4. I think it will be a big hit with casuals with the Kinect integration and UI in addition to the other deals MS has made. Even reducing the price by $50 and giving you the option to bundle a game with the unit would work. MS is really blowing it in the price arena.

tokkun

Hahahaha. Name ANYTHING that can't do that? My 9yr old Sony Ericsson phone can do that, it had a .. what? 200Mhz cpu? 128kb ram?

Well, one of the more famous examples is the iPhone, which couldn't do it prior to iOS4. It could only play audio in the background from first-party apps.

Does the 360 allow you to play audio from a Netflix show while you use another app like Internet Explorer?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
His criticism (at least the one he stated) had nothing to do with that.
Really? The very first thing he says in the post you quoted is that he'd prefer to get KI at native 1080p. There's just two sentences - do you really think they're totally unrelated?

Apps, (in particular video apps) are more appealing to many when used on bigger screens. Hence why the tablet/phone comparison was silly.
Yes, in particular video apps, which we've not had any trouble running on current gen consoles without the need to reserve significant system resources for them while gaming. Beyond media apps, I'd argue strongly to the contrary that many care about running other apps on their TVs. Yet we're talking about reserving more system resources for the sake of apps than the PS3 and 360 had to offer, combined (at least in terms of RAM).

Haha, wow. Okay. Obvious that some of you guys are too shortsighted to understand.

Might as well not buy any future game consoles either since they will all have these app features.
Too shortsighted? Please. Do you hear anyone making an argument against apps of any kind? No. We're talking about more efficient and appropriate methods of supporting apps on devices intended primarily for gaming. Every device targeting TVs and every TV itself is sporting app features these days. Most of the "all-in-one" features that MS is trying to push with the XBO largely work on a USB stick-sized device now. Bank on parity within another year or two for these kind of inline media sticks for less than $100, while the new TVs will simply incorporate these features wholesale.

Quite the opposite of shortsighted - the problem for XBO is that "app features" aren't going to be a distinguishing factor for much longer, if you're really paying attention.

Shambles

4 apps? I might be impressed if my phone wasn't already running 8 apps and had another dozen cached for immediate recall as well.

Ok, that's an observation that doesn't necessarily have much bearing on this conversation. Can the 360? Can the PS3? Can the Wii or the Wii U? Can the PS4? Can you name a dedicated set-top gaming box that can?

Since this is new information, and a hands-on session that let press observe this running on basically the same boxes buyers would have in their hands by holiday this year, I don't know that your griping really contributes much here except that you found a crude way to say almost nothing.

You should work for Microsoft. Their entire marketing strategy is to stick their fingers in their ears and chant loudly so that they can pretend the rest of the world does not exist.

Top Bottom