• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid: Xbox One can run four apps at the same time in the background

driver116

No, it can have multiple apps suspended. Can you have skype running in the background waiting for calls on Vita, get a call, and continue to play a game while you take the call on Vita?

Yes.

In fact if the PS4 OS is based on the Vita OS then the PS4 will be able to runs tons of apps in the background.

Doodis

All in all, the One is a good mix of things. If they shaved $100 of the price it would be a great console despite having some inferior specs to the PS4. I think it will be a big hit with casuals with the Kinect integration and UI in addition to the other deals MS has made. Even reducing the price by $50 and giving you the option to bundle a game with the unit would work. MS is really blowing it in the price arena.
I have to agree with this. Even though I'm getting an Xbox One, I think it's priced too high to be competitive with PS4. I don't think all this talk about specs or anything else will have nearly the negative effect that the $100 price difference will.

This applies to me too, my 7 month old boy can be a handful sometimes, handsfree control will be amazing for me.
Awesome. I knew there had to be more people excited about this feature. Microsoft really needs to show it off more because I think it would lure a lot people to the platform. Even with the current Kinect, using voice for netflix or amazon instant has been a godsend when the only things in your living room are baby toys and mysteriously zero remote controls. The mica are pretty amazing too. For instance, I was watching fringe and it was super loud, baby ran off and at a normal octave I could just say pause and chase after my daughter. I use it all the time. Now you're telling me I can control my surround sound, tv inputs, and possibly other things (nest thermostat!!!!) and I'll buy the system just for kinect.

I'm glad Vita is getting shout outs in this thread for being awesome.

And ya for PS4 I expect no less than what the Vita already can do as far as BG apps and fast switching.

Pain

Banned
Only one game? Whatever happened to "you can wait for it to find you a match on CoD by playing some Killer Instinct" or whatever. Are we gonna pretend that wasn't said, now?
Sounds like another 180. Or is there some sort of universal matchmaking service on XB1?

Dukey

Banned
Bigger news is that clip sharing only via live at the start. I thought twitch was going to be ready at launch?

I wouldnt be surprised if this was the only thing they ever actually planned to have as part of Xbox One until they saw Sony offer much much more.

ShapeGSX

I remember rumours about that before it was officially revealed but I haven't heard it from them.

You can play another game while you're waiting to be matched but I can't remember how that works. Is there a video?

Running two games simultaneously isn't ever going to work. How the hell would you split the resources?

But each game could include an app that gets installed that handles matchmaking in the background, separate from the game itself. So you could matchmake for one game while playing another.

Gestault

You should work for Microsoft. Their entire marketing strategy is to stick their fingers in their ears and chant loudly so that they can pretend the rest of the world does not exist.

Considering we're in a conversation where you're criticizing a platform and article for mentioning a feature you think of as ubiquitous, and I bring up that no current or upcoming alternatives to that platform offer the feature, I'm not sure your reaction is a strong one for saying that I'm plugging my ears on the subject. Your wider criticism of a marketing strategy (and a personal attack that I'm doing the same thing?) is a really weird thing to bring up out of nowhere.

Gestault

Or I could just hit a couple buttons on the controller and be done with it faster.

From personal experience, that's not really the case.

Even on the current 360 (I have a lot of downloaded games), it's faster to say "xbox, bing Eternal Sonata" followed about a second later with "Play Eternal Sonata" than it would be to bring it up in my game library. This goes double for things like if I want to know if a show is on Netflix or Hulu Plus. I can say "Xbox, bing Breaking Bad Season 5" and it will pull up that exact season of the show and highlight it on every service it's available. I actually catch myself saying the commands with my PS3, and feeling really silly.

Mind you, that's the current version of the Kinect right now. Maybe it's because I'm a male and I have a deep voice, but I can't think of a time it didn't understand me the first time I said it. I think with what we've heard it's safe to assume some improvements.

Racer1977

All interesting technology, I just think they are misreading the market. In this day and age, people have smartphones and such on their person at all times, I don't see people flicking between apps, or displaying more than one thing at a time.

Sounds great. Now I can play my game and ....... do nothing else.

Seriously I have a phone with me. Why would I ever bother. Solving problems I dont have. :/

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep

Seriously I have a phone with me. Why would I ever bother. Solving problems I dont have. :/

This, I don't give a shit that I can have a facebook app, espn app, twitter app, and some other app open at the same time.

Pointless feature to me, have a smart phone and a tablet for that stuff.

Dukey

Banned

Your phone's ability to swap between apps isnt solving any problems. It's merely adding convenience. The ability to do the same on a home console is doing the same thing.

Only one game? Whatever happened to "you can wait for it to find you a match on CoD by playing some Killer Instinct" or whatever. Are we gonna pretend that wasn't said, now?

The matchmaking takes place server-side on XBL servers. Thus the game (CoD in your example) can be closed, matchmaking keeps going since it's happening on MS' servers and when you get the "Match Found" notification, it reopens the game straight into the match.

This has always been the case.

Bgamer90

Banned
Really? The very first thing he says in the post you quoted is that he'd prefer to get KI at native 1080p. There's just two sentences - do you really think they're totally unrelated?

He mentioned he doesn't need apps on his console since phones/tablets have them.

Also, there are 1080p games being made for the Xbox One either way. It was a silly statement all around.

Yes, in particular video apps, which we've not had any trouble running on current gen consoles without the need to reserve significant system resources for them while gaming.

Okay? What does that have to do with someone's preference in wanting to run a video app on their console instead of a tablet/phone due to the latter being connected to a bigger screen?

Beyond media apps, I'd argue strongly to the contrary that many care about running other apps on their TVs.

Really hard to say when:

1. Current consoles can't do it -- or at least do it well.

-and-

2. There will be various apps for various uses that will appeal to various types of people.

Yet we're talking about reserving more system resources for the sake of apps than the PS3 and 360 had to offer, combined (at least in terms of RAM).

You say this as if the systems don't have a great increase in RAM compared to 360/PS3 overall. There's still a TON more being used for main gaming purposes in comparison.

Most of the "all-in-one" features that MS is trying to push with the XBO largely work on a USB stick-sized device now. Bank on parity within another year or two for these kind of inline media sticks for less than $100, while the new TVs will simply incorporate these features wholesale.

People here on GAF keep on saying this without failing to realize that those "USB sticks" and "smart TV" won't have AAA games.

Or is it impossible for a person to be interested in both AAA games and apps?

That doesn't even put into factor the differences in user interfaces which can cause users to prefer using apps on a gaming console vs. a USB device or a Smart TV.

Quite the opposite of shortsighted - the problem for XBO is that "app features" aren't going to be a distinguishing factor for much longer, if you're really paying attention.

And if you're really paying attention you would realize that there will obviously be gaming oriented apps exclusive to Xbox as well as other UI features the system will have that can and more than likely will make some want to use the apps on the console vs. another "box".

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Quite the opposite of shortsighted - the problem for XBO is that "app features" aren't going to be a distinguishing factor for much longer, if you're really paying attention.

Sorry, I don't understand your reasoning here. You're saying that in, say, a year these features are going to be common on $100 plug-in computer things (e.g. Apple TV, I guess). But Xbone has them built in, no need to change input, no need to buy a second device. I would still say that's a distinguishing feature, no?—it does with a single device what a PS4 and an AppleTV (for instance) would do with two.

You might want to try that math again...

:p

What are you doing?

Also, your math is wrong. It would be 6...

are you drunk again, beermeister?

Dat math....

imagehtinq.png

I can't brain today... I got the dumb. ;)

Shadey Snipez

Neo Member
my 1st post on here..

this is good news and multitasking is always a plus IMO. with all the Tv and football i been watching this is the console for me i guess

Cartman86

Banned
Jeremy Parish specifically asked if there were save states for when you switch games (like when matchmaking in the background). They said no. Which sort of ruins the whole idea of playing something else while waiting. Now you'll be worried about finding a save point.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
He mentioned he doesn't need apps on his console since phones/tablets have them.
Since consoles running video/media apps have been the status quo for at least the last 5 years, maybe we can give the guy the benefit of the doubt and consider that he didn't mean those apps but rather the new class of app that apparently needs a whole bunch of resources reserved even while gaming.

Also, there are 1080p games being made for the Xbox One either way. It was a silly statement all around.
Silly how? With so much system resources reserved for things that aren't directly related to the game you're playing at the moment it's only natural to wonder how compromised the game is and how it could have been made differently if the same hardware had a much more gaming-focused resource allocation.

Really hard to say when:

1. Current consoles can't do it -- or at least do it well.

-and-

2. There will be various apps for various uses that will appeal to various types of people.
Current consoles could run most any app fine. If they can run Netflix and Gears of War, they can run a Twitter client. In fact XB did have one but they removed it last year. There simply isn't a significant market materializing for apps on TV other than media and gaming related apps.

People here on GAF keep on saying this without failing to realize that those "USB sticks" and "smart TV" won't have AAA games.

Or is it impossible for a person to be interested in both AAA games and apps?

That doesn't even put into factor the differences in user interfaces which can cause users to prefer using apps on a gaming console vs. a USB device or a Smart TV.

And if you're really paying attention you would realize that there will obviously be gaming oriented apps exclusive to Xbox as well as other UI features the system will have that can and more than likely will make some want to use the apps on the console vs. another "box".
Sure, the XBO has a certain convenience angle but it's going to be $400-500 for the next couple of years and requires a much bigger footprint around the entertainment center between the power supply, kinect array and the size of the box itself. The alternatives for basic app functionality will be much cheaper and smaller to the point that they can effectively be stowed completely out of sight such that the tradeoff of having to buy another box is almost rendered moot. The distinction that XBO has with the apps+games angle is minimized at this point. Esp. when direct competition like the PS4 and WiiU also do apps+games just with a greater emphasis on games.

Hope they give some customization options in this dashboard. Last time I felt like I could customize the dash was launch of 360 with guide themes. Always bummed me out they took that out.

If it's like WP tiles would be cool.

Top Bottom