• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - Game Informer details [Up: Additional Details]

I can understand not liking DX:HR's gunplay (I didn't love it either, but luckily I don't play Deus Ex games as shooters), but what was wrong about the stealth? It just... worked. Never felt bad to me. Stealth usually is "tedious" and slow, but I kinda think that's the point of stealth. Hiding, observing and lots of waiting.

Dishonored makes it feel a lot fresher and faster though, but that's primarily due to the magic involved. I can't see DX:MK have a cyberpunk equivalent.

i played it such a long time ago i cant fully remember my gripes but i remember thinking the character just felt very slow and not super human enough. u could only run for around 3 seconds, the energy bar was so limited and it took an eternity to fill up. also hated how it took u out of first person when performing special attacks or whatever they are called, it broke immersion for me. it was just frustrating in that sense.

in terms of level design the whole game consisted of crawling from one office desk to the other to plug in some usb. not enough environment variety and the stupid yellow hue made things even worse.

come to think of it i actually didnt enjoy deus hr at all, i only kept playing because of the story. and the weird thing is i play quite a few stealth games and find them fun but i just found this game to be super frustrating and flat out boring.

i want more cool abilities to play around with.
i want dishonoured sequel

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So I guess if I were to distil the reasons for why I'm so excited;

- Human Revolution, while flawed, was a huge surprise me. It was, at the least, very much in tone with the series philosophy in game design and narrative. I remember playing the leaked press build, and it was very much the case of Human Revolution being a game I had borderline zero interest in (mostly due to a lack of optimism) and quickly being blown away. To see the series continue from such a strong "reboot" is great.

- Same core leads returning across the board ensures that the vision for Deus Ex 4 will be on par with that of Human Revolution. If it were an entirely new team working with the template of the last I'd be worried. Companies don't make games, people make games, and seeing these creative minds return fills me with optimism.

- Director's Cut commentary was wonderfully candid, the team exploring where they felt they succeeded and failed. The weak final level and ending, abundance of samey steel vents as alternate routes, lack of options in boss fights, etc. These things are routinely cited as weaknesses of Human Revolution, with the aim of improving in the future.

- Single player focus. I'm sure everyone was worried that there'd be some awful, significant mulitplayer component but that doesn't appear to be the case. I'm sure there's some online shit, but here the focus does appear to be on making a Human Revolution successor.

- Adam Jensen.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
DX:HR was my second favorite game of last gen (Mass Effect 2 first) and the fact that it's getting a sequel makes me happy beyond belief. Adam Jensen coming back is the best news I have read.

While the boss fights certainly were mediocre I do feel that people exaggerate on how bad they were. All of them were perfectly doable even on the hardest setting. The Directors Cut largely improved the boss fights, but they improved them in such an odd way. The rooms made no sense at all!

Michael McCann better be back!

Hollow

Now I feel like re-installing HR and playing through it again.

I haven't played it since I did my beating it on hard, being undetected and pacifist run.

Galileo

Neo Member

- Human Revolution, while flawed, was a huge surprise me. It was, at the least, very much in tone with the series philosophy in game design and narrative. I remember playing the leaked press build, and it was very much the case of Human Revolution being a game I had borderline zero interest in (mostly due to a lack of optimism) and quickly being blown away. To see the series continue from such a strong "reboot" is great.

- Same core leads returning across the board ensures that the vision for Deus Ex 4 will be on par with that of Human Revolution. If it were an entirely new team working with the template of the last I'd be worried. Companies don't make games, people make games, and seeing these creative minds return fills me with optimism.

- Director's Cut commentary was wonderfully candid, the team exploring where they felt they succeeded and failed. The weak final level and ending, abundance of samey steel vents as alternate routes, lack of options in boss fights, etc. These things are routinely cited as weaknesses of Human Revolution, with the aim of improving in the future.

- Single player focus. I'm sure everyone was worried that there'd be some awful, significant mulitplayer component but that doesn't appear to be the case. I'm sure there's some online shit, but here the focus does appear to be on making a Human Revolution successor.

- Adam Jensen.
Excellent summary, I remember listening to the commentary track after you suggested to do so, it was obvious the devs had a genuine respect for the original game and were passionate about videogames in general, for instance I really liked when they mentioned how they took inspiration from Half Life 1 for the introductory levels or tried to employ a "show, don't tell" approach when designing the enviroments.
They even said how they weren't satisfied with how character progression turned out in the end, what with the overabundance of praxis points allowing you to unlock everything in later stages of the game.
Their biggest achievement in my opinion was managing to capture much of the spirit of the first game while creating something that is perfectly able to stand on its own, especially in terms of visual identity.

Oh god I can't wait for this! I was hoping that MMO thing wasn't true.

Really hope they don't change the non lethal mechanics to make enemies "wake up." I loved playing this game stealth and I loved exploring at my leisure.

Also I hope I can still eat CyberBoost Pro(tm) Energy Bars :p

It will be interesting to see how they handle HR's ending. I thought that it would be a logical follow-up from the
self-destruct ending
, and it would pick up a few years after HR with Adam (or a like-minded agent) being rebuilt to help in the NSF war that was hinted at in the original game.

The way the marketing and screens seem to be positioned is that it's a cross between the
self-destruct and Darrow endings
. It also brings to mind what would have occurred had there been a logical sequel based on the original game - the Illuminati ending was the most fleshed out/had the longest cutscene and was the most vague about humanity's future under their leadership, while the other options were just alternate cutscenes with little in the way of resolution. I get the feeling that's what they're going for here - have it so that one ending is the canonical one instead of the kitbashing that Invisible War tried to pull.

Sounds like more Human Revolution, which is great news.

Sounds way better than HR. Hell this sounds like Deus Ex 1.

And its a pure prequel to Deus Ex....

I want it now.

2002.gif

#BringBackMalik

Everything sounds good so far. Not a fan of how they're approaching the ending of DEHR. But more of the same as DEHR with Adam Jensen is exactly what I want.
I'm waiting on the CGI trailer just because I enjoyed DEHR's so much.

CHC

The names sound kinda stupid though, sorta like the first game. Like they're trying too hard to sound badass or edgy - "Talos Rucker"? Deus Ex 1 had such fitting, believable names - Joseph Manderley, Alex Jacobson, Jaime Reyes. Just regular, not all overthought.

Tiny complaint though, I loved the first game so I'm hyped but the names are a bit eye-roll-inducing.

Freddo

This is good news. Human Revolution was one of the more enjoyable games from last generation, even if it didn't live up to the greatness of the first game (or the greatness of Dishonored for that matter).

But I hope this game will. What I want to see improved from HR the most are larger levels that offer more routes. Compared to the original Deus Ex, Human Revolution felt a bit claustrofobic. I mean, I loved the Liberty Island in Deus Ex, and how you could be on top of the statue and look all over the island and see the NPCs walking around far away. Human Revolution never got that level scale.

I also hope they will be given enough time and budget so they don't need to cut content for the release. Listening to the commentary in Human Revolution Director's Cut was at times rather depressing cause several times they said "here we wanted to do X and it looked great but because of time contraints we had to cut it out". The explorable city hubs were supposed to be larger and I would have loved to see that. I'm especially sad what with happened with Hengsha. I mean, the first time I played HR and got to that fancy Tai Young Medical lab, and looked down and saw this gorgeous futuristic green park thingy and I thought "I hope we get to go there", but it never happened, and then in a few years later in Director's Cut they say that it was actually the plan and they got the level but couldn't fully finish it but had to cut it out. So depressing!

CHC

Any mention of Dishonored is also a positive. I thought it outdid Human Revolution in terms of being a better Deus Ex sequel on all fronts other than NPC interaction and weapon choice. As far as the feel of gameplay and, of course, level design, it was way better.

FourMyle

-Eidos noted fans who played stealthily enjoyed the game more so spent several years iterating on gunplay
-Mankind Divided's moment-to-moment action plays out like a series of set-piece moments, a 'remarkable feat' considering nothing is scripted
-Jensen can adjust his weapons at any point mid-battle, changing ammo type, firing pattern, scopes, etc
-Some enemies have external tech like exoskeletons and mechs to combat Jensen
-Variety of enemies have a diversity of weapons, augments, or other high-tech combat tools, some have high-jump abilities, etc
-Focused on making A.I. more aggressive, flanking, etc
-Certain elements of the environment now react to combat

These are what have me the most hyped. I am so glad they realized the combat in HR wasn't as good/fun as playing stealth. Day 1.

I'm internally hyped as fuck for this game. I know it's so far away so I don't want to think about it too much but holy shit this might be my GOTY next year. HR was sooooooo good. One of my favorites last gen right after dark souls.

Is this a confirmed 2016 release?Would LOVE for it to drop this autumn/winter to soften the blows of the Uncharted 4 and TLoZ delays.
I remember picking up on release day as a reward for good grades a few years back. Absolutely adored the game!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm cool with more attention spent to combat, but I didn't think HR's combat was that bad. It was just much easier and less interesting than the stealth path. Challenging yourself to remain hidden, no alerts, pacifist run is always going to be a more involved experience than shooting rooms to pieces. That being said, increasing enemy variety in aug functions and loadouts is a good move for both directions, as it provides stealth players with potentially more mobile/difficult opponents to sneak on, and combat players have to deal with more dynamic and challenging encounters.

But at the same time I hope stealth isn't given a backseat. Yes, it was more fun than combat, but also had the problem (as with so many stealth/combat games) where playing stealth pacifist limited your tools. An abundance of weapons and modifications won't mean shit to someone who wants to keep quiet and sneaky. They'll stick to the stun gun for the entire game. Hopefully the design challenges that sort of play without making upgraded combat then feel like the right path.

#BringBackMalik

This. I get them not wanting to import saves, but for the love of god, getting her out alive in a no-kill playthrough was freaking brutal. Throw me a bone.

I'm cool with more attention spent to combat, but I didn't think HR's combat was that bad. It was just much easier and less interesting than the stealth path. Challenging yourself to remain hidden, no alerts, pacifist run is always going to be a more involved experience than shooting rooms to pieces. That being said, increasing enemy variety in aug functions and loadouts is a good move for both directions, as it provides stealth players with potentially more mobile/difficult opponents to sneak on, and combat players have to deal with more dynamic and challenging encounters.

But at the same time I hope stealth isn't given a backseat. Yes, it was more fun than combat, but also had the problem (as with so many stealth/combat games) where playing stealth pacifist limited your tools. An abundance of weapons and modifications won't mean shit to someone who wants to keep quiet and sneaky. They'll stick to the stun gun for the entire game. Hopefully the design challenges that sort of play without making upgraded combat then feel like the right path.

With any luck, the increased focus on weapon modification won't be limited to lethal ordinance; being locked out of a part of progression because the stun gun and tranq rifle didn't take mods was a real bummer.

EatChildren

So yeah, I'm guessing this game will cover the formation of UNATCO;

Before the events of Deus Ex, UNATCO with the collaboration of INTERPOL locate and storm the Knights Templar headquarters in Paris and dissolve the organization.

Considering Mankind Divided's hook is "Jensen collaborates with an INTERPOL-funded task force to deal with augmented terrorists that have sprung up in response to this backlash".

With any luck, the increased focus on weapon modification won't be limited to lethal ordinance; being locked out of a part of progression because the stun gun and tranq rifle didn't take mods was a real bummer.

Agreed, and yeah, hopefully the weapon mods (and new augs) take into account all kinds of play.

ricki42

Any mention of Dishonored is also a positive. I thought it outdid Human Revolution in terms of being a better Deus Ex sequel on all fronts other than NPC interaction and weapon choice. As far as the feel of gameplay and, of course, level design, it was way better.

I preferred Human Revolution to Dishonored. I really enjoyed the first part of Dishonored, but then you get the Blink ability, and I didn't really like that. Someone sees you, just blink away and hide for a bit to recharge. I enjoyed some sections where that wasn't so easily possible, but otherwise I thought it was far more interesting in DE:HR to plan how to take out or sneak past the guards one at a time.

Grisby

- S.
Yes, this is always a great thing. I feel like missing one person can mess up the upcoming game sometimes.

Is the Directors Cut worth it for the commentary? I don't think I've played a game with commentary since Alan Wake. Does it affect achievements and stuff like that?

I might pick up a copy of it for the 360 or wii U despite playing through the vanilla version twice.

EatChildren

Is the Directors Cut worth it for the commentary? I don't think I've played a game with commentary since Alan Wake. Does it affect achievements and stuff like that?

There's around 8 hours worth covering more or less every aspect of the game's design, so you hear from the writers, level designers, AI programmers, voice actors, directors, artists, etc. Often in group conversations, combining insight into the game's development to little quips and jokes about stuff that happened during that time, and what they want for the future. The implementation is a little bit clumsy, but it doesn't hinder achievements, and yeah. I'm a big fan of behind the scenes style stuff, commentary and all that, and this is about as good as gets in terms of substance and insight.

EDIT: To be fair by the time I played through with commentary it was like...my fourth or fifth run, so I knew the game like the back of my hand.

Can't say I felt too attached to Adam Jensen as a character, but I don't exactly mind him coming back either. I'm just glad the puzzle pieces are seemingly falling into place for those of us who enjoyed Human Revolution.

Top Bottom