• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided I Review Thread I I asked for this

prag16

Banned
Interesring. Looks to be headed for a low 80s metascore where I was expecting more towards high 80s.

Hyped as FUCK nevertheless. Hopefully cdkeys gets me my key in time for preloading.

Original Post link for Reiner at game informer actually goes to videogamer.com

Metacritic shows 88 for Game Informer but clicking their review link it goes to pc gamer

Angel_DvA

looks pretty good so far but I'm disappointed about reading that the story doesn't live up to expectations, for a Deus Ex game, it's a crime.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Raw images: (PS4@1080p)

(PC@4K)

Sorry for the misleading comparison earlier.

This game has the worst lighting i've seen in a long long time from an AAA game.

Absolutely atrocious.

ironcreed

Banned
Fun fact: Deus Ex Invisible War has a metascore of 84% on Xbox. Times sure did change (in terms of game review scoring).

kj3gFME.jpg

Oh, just the usual.

RPS

Mankind Divided is a new version of one of my favourite games of all time and free from the execution problems that hampered that last iteration. The levels are bigger and prettier. There are no dumb boss fights. It gives you slightly more agency over its story. The new abilities are nice, even if they don’t dramatically alter the flow of the game. There still aren’t that many games like Deus Ex around and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is an excellent game like Deus Ex.

Human Revolution 2.0 it seems

Loved that game, can't wait to dive back in.

How much side quest and interesting world stuff is there? I haven't really found a review that's talked about how interesting the world is to interact with.

Lime

Bummer that the story is something people all seem to dislike.
It's the main hook for me, apart from being able to do a non lethal play through.

Go to DOOM for the mechanics, Deus Ex for the story.

Went to "maybe wait for a sale" from "Day 1"

Deus Ex Human Revolution had a very underwhelming ending and the game never really went anywhere with its themes. Nor did we actually get any well-depicted characters and the antagonists were hollow and barebones. From a narrative perspective, Human Revolution wasn't particularly imrpessive.

Deus Ex 1 was just silly Alex Jones material.

And with Mankind Divided you seemingly have "Segregated Water Fountains" and "Augs Lives Matter" ("but the game has nothing to do with race!!!" according to the developers) and the ending is supposedly abrupt and anti-climactic.

I don't think Eidos Montreal are capable of crafting a solid narrative with excellent characters and seeing how they handle constructive feedback and criticism like children, I'm not sure how they'll ever improve.

Floody

So it's pretty much just more of Human Revolution by sounds of it? I'm fine with that, flaws and all, is disappointing the writing hasn't got much better though, thought that let HR down too, good that the gameplay has though.

Also, with the higher quality comparison, the PC maxed-PS4 differences seem about normal. I think that it looks kinda cel-shaded too, which is better than the piss filter I guess, not really that impressed by it though.

Sounds like they barely improved anything compared to HR. They really should have brought a better writer onboard.
I liked HR but not enough for me to pay full price for an uninspired sequel.

Jeffrey

Still freaking lame that it still does that black screen load into a cutscene for melee takedowns.

Video games have figured out how to do sick 1st person melee takedowns like a DECADE ago.

Is GMG the cheapest for this on pc?

cackhyena

Who's expectations? A story can be great to someone and crap to someone else. It's never a set thing.

Like I said in Polygon's review. The feeling of lost grandiosity can definitely be a subjective thing, like, some people just don't care. feeling like it just ends so abruptly? That doesn't sit with me well. Never does. We'll see.

Nzyme32

Fun fact: Deus Ex Invisible War has a metascore of 84% on Xbox. Times sure did change (in terms of game review scoring).

Ha, certainly wasn't my outlook on it on PC. It was such a massive disappointment, especially as a successor to Deus Ex and the clearly horrible designs that came from trying to be applicable to the Xbox console rather than previous game.

ironcreed

Banned
Hmmm, I dont think this has anything to do on what he was saying tho

I think he was making a point that reviewers were less harsh in previous gens

And I am pointing out that a game that scored 7-8 used to be considered great. Now such a rating is looked at as mediocre. In other words, I personally prefer the older way of looking at games.

I'm fine with an improved Human Revolution, even if it's not a vastly different game.

Kinda concerned that the consensus seems to be that the ending sucks, though.

Still hyped, though. Doesn't sound like they've screwed up what worked about DX:HR.

Cool, thanks. I didn't see much mention of what you thought of the story and themes in the review. What did you think? And how did the whole "oppression" angle work out?

As background color it works well and it features into some of the story beats and choices you have. But there's no real payoff to those ideas and the game doesn't completely stick the ending.

Nzyme32

looks pretty good so far but I'm disappointed about reading that the story doesn't live up to expectations, for a Deus Ex game, it's a crime.

A story can be great to someone and crap to someone else. It's never a set thing.

It is disappointing to hear, but indeed this is going to be subjective unless there are some obviously flaws in there. Nothing has really compared to the original Deus Ex in that department of depth and scope, and I don't think many games of this type will attempt that these days.

Fret

And I am pointing out that a game that scored 7-8 used to be considered great. Now such a rating is looked at as mediocre. In other words, I personally prefer the older way of looking at games.

I think this mentality is going away actually, or atleast toning down a bit. Critics are becoming far more harsh.

If the story is kind of crappy like these early reviews indicate, I think I'll pass. Story is a big part of these kinds of games for me. Maybe I'll get it on sale in the future :)
You stole my post practically word for word :p I'm sad to hear about the story being nothing special. The story criticisms are consistent in the reviews. It's not 50 50 sadly...

FelipeMGM

Where is da EZA review tho? I imagine Blood is the one reviewing it, would love to know his thoughts on this

Deus Ex Retrospective EP1 should go live today as well

Which I agree

Zolo

Ha, certainly wasn't my outlook on it on PC. It was such a massive disappointment, especially as a successor to Deus Ex and the clearly horrible designs that came from trying to be applicable to the Xbox console rather than previous game.

A lot of people's enjoyment of Invisible War seems to be based on whether they played Deus Ex first.

Kacho

As background color it works well and it features into some of the story beats and choices you have. But there's no real payoff to those ideas and the game doesn't completely stick the ending.

How are the controls? Have they been improved over HR and is ADS still the same?

Mifec

That's pretty great then. Well the first part. Thanks for the reply.

jett

D-Member
Reading the actual blurbs in the OP seems like the actual scores are generous. As per usual in this industry.

heringer

Still freaking lame that it still does that black screen load into a cutscene for melee takedowns.

Video games have figured out how to do sick 1st person melee takedowns like a DECADE ago.

Is GMG the cheapest for this on pc?

Yep. Pretty ridiculous.

Doesn't help that the animations are usually kind of dumb looking from a stealth approach point of view.

Dalibor68

Banned
Story isn't the #1 in Deus Ex for me, though it's not unimportant either. But what counts most for me is a) the cyberpunk atmosphere with its worldbuilding b) all the different gameplay opportunities aka solve this mission in 5 different ways(by talking, building a ladder, finding a vent, going guns blazing, sneaking in otherwise etc).

KorrZ

If the story is kind of crappy like these early reviews indicate, I think I'll pass. Story is a big part of these kinds of games for me. Maybe I'll get it on sale in the future :)

Hard for me to judge really.

To be fair, Deus Ex (the original) didn't have a good story in general, but that doesn't mean there aren't still interesting/thought-provoking characters/moments.

Top Bottom