• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided |OT| We Asked For This

Tovarisc

Completed my first non lethal playthrough on Give Me Deus Ex difficulty. Sadly I didn't manage to fully alarm free. Also got a feeling that in one mission it simply triggered on it's own: Late game mission spoiler.
The one in Switzerland as soon as you go in the tunnel/giant tubed shaped long room. I went through it below, but still triggered somehow.

I really love this game, as I am a sucker for stealth and exploring, both are very rewarding here.

Going to start another one soon, but first playing HR for the 5th time again or so.

Spoilered bit, not scripted like that.

Glass

My hype was still riding high days after getting this so decided to buy the art book.

Has a great foreword by Warren Spector:

People ask me all the time how I feel about the new Deus Ex games, expecting me, I think, to be upset or somehow critical. But, really, I couldn't be happier. That's partly because there's something special about having been a part of something bigger than yourself, but there's more to it than that...

DPnYPNq.jpg

t1TNTyH.jpg

2p4qwQi.jpg

CwGinwr.jpg

vr2BeVa.jpg

Simo

Ugh. Work screwing with my schedule, I haven't had time to jump on since Thursday night. :( Again when I did I just found myself wandering around Prague, breaking into apartments or visiting stores and marveling at the design of everything from the decor, people's clothing to the designs of the buildings and interiors themselves. Captured quite a few snaps including finding Raziel. lol

My hype was still riding high days after getting this so decided to buy the art book.

Has a great foreword by Warren Spector:

DPnYPNq.jpg

t1TNTyH.jpg

2p4qwQi.jpg

CwGinwr.jpg

vr2BeVa.jpg

Yup great art book. The Collector's Guide...eh not so much. It's really fucking bad with no maps, it doesn't list any of the door codes or passwords and some parts it just tells you to "do what you do". Terrible guide and doesn't hold a candle to what Future Press did for HR.

Loving the game so far but man it's taking me a bit to get used to the controls. There are a lot of layers to the controls and a lot of system to try and remember.

Sprint being mapped to triangle and crouch to R3 is fucking with me lol. I've died more than once trying to wrestle with the controls during firefights.

Was my biggest issue and none of the different stlyes seemed right. Went back to the original, stuck with it and I'm now much more accustomed to it and not fumbling with it during a firefight anymore. Lol

CHC

Was my biggest issue and none of the different stlyes seemed right. Went back to the original, stuck with it and I'm now much more accustomed to it and not fumbling with it during a firefight anymore. Lol

I like Standard controls the only caveat is only being able to bind augs to the d-pad. It makes doing the dash move while moving extremely hard.

charsace

I have this on PC and it won't update on steam. Every time I try to update nothing happens. Changing download regions does fuck all. Anyone have a fix?

nOoblet16

That's a bit annoying. Do they turn hostile every time or under certain conditions?

Infiltrating ARC atm. The verticality in this level is very impressive.

Yeah, I'm going for a no alarms run and I have no idea if this is messing with it or not. I guess the weapon doesnt count as silent or something and that's why its turning people hostile momentarily?

afaik tesla triggers hostility no matter what, makes it useless aug for stealth players. Especially for ones chasing Foxiest of the Hounds achievement.

It triggers hostile only when you do it from the front or side, it doesn't if it's from the back.

Also it doesn't affect Foxiest of the hound achievement because hostile status is not the same as alarm/alert, provided all the people who saw you are down and they didn't alert anyone else. Hostile just means your Ghost is ruined, not Foxiest of the hound.

Tovarisc

It triggers hostile only when you do it from the front or side, it doesn't if it's from the back.

Also it doesn't affect Foxiest of the hound achievement because hostile status is not the same as alarm/alert.

Huh, assumed it would. But then already worried because few missions didn't give me even Ghost bonus when going 100% unnoticed.

thenexus6

Just about to start M11
travel to the Alps but it says all current side missions will be cancelled. I have SM03: The Mystery Augs still open. What will happen with this quest if I continue? Will it really be cancelled?

Ruff

Just about to start M11
travel to the Alps but it says all current side missions will be cancelled. I have SM03: The Mystery Augs still open. What will happen with this quest if I continue? Will it really be cancelled?

No not if you've done everything it's asking you to do

BY2K

Membero Americo
If the game tells you side quests will be cancelled if you fly away THEY WILL. It means you haven't done everything.

thenexus6

Gotcha, thanks!

If the game tells you side quests will be cancelled if you fly away THEY WILL. It means you haven't done everything.

I think I have done everything I can so far for that misson..

I've
spoken to Sarif and found the dead doctor in the apartment and searched it. I think it was left with Sarif looking into something for me

Quidam

Exploring Palisade pretty early in the game - any downsides to doing this now? I don't want to pre-empt a fun bank robbery mission or something like that?

Tovarisc

My quest log was empty of side quests and only bugged POI on it. Game still asked.

Exploring Palisade pretty early in the game - any downsides to doing this now? I don't want to pre-empt a fun bank robbery mission or something like that?

Some quests have you returning there, but no any downsides I can think of.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Am just here to say 1 great OT and 2 by far this game has surpassed Deus Ex 1 in terms of quality and enjoyment for me.

Incredible work the team did and they obviously love the series as it shows with this title.

Ruff

Keep in mind anything you do will stay done should you go there later in the game.

nOoblet16

Keep in mind anything you do will stay done should you go there later in the game.

Its hard to answer his question without spoiling it but I'd say it's fine to explore especially if it's early.
The only downside is the same as any other area, you explore it too much and you know where everything is.

Just don't kill anyone.

Moff

Huh, assumed it would. But then already worried because few missions didn't give me even Ghost bonus when going 100% unnoticed.

foxiest of the hounds is only alarms. if you still get the tutorial prompt when an alarm is raised, you are good to go.

so tesla is viable for stealth players, but I sitll never used it, just feels not clean enough for me. and the stun gun is so damn powerful there is rarely a need to use it.

Tovarisc

jesus christ I'm trying to play on steam and apparently there's an update and I can't download it due to "content manifest" or some shit.

Steam is having issues with this patch for some reason, seems like some data centers have gotten bad migration or something. Try changing your download location. I use Sweden and got patch without issues.

Steam is having issues with this patch for some reason, seems like some data centers have gotten bad migration or something. Try changing your download location. I use Sweden and got patch without issues.

yeah that did it. Changed to Vietnam, downloading update and now I'll switch back to my region

Glass

Is there a quest related to the Church of Augs that's near Jensens apartment? Returned to Prague after Golem City and still havn't heard anything from there.

nOoblet16

foxiest of the hounds is only alarms. if you still get the tutorial prompt when an alarm is raised, you are good to go.

so tesla is viable for stealth players, but I sitll never used it, just feels not clean enough for me. and the stun gun is so damn powerful there is rarely a need to use it.

Tesla is basically the auto aim stun gun that allows you to target multiple enemies at once, it works the same.

Completed my first non lethal playthrough on Give Me Deus Ex difficulty. Sadly I didn't manage to fully alarm free. Also got a feeling that in one mission it simply triggered on it's own: Late game mission spoiler.
The one in Switzerland as soon as you go in the tunnel/giant tubed shaped long room. I went through it below, but still triggered somehow.

I really love this game, as I am a sucker for stealth and exploring, both are very rewarding here.

Going to start another one soon, but first playing HR for the 5th time again or so.

I encountered this and it pissed me off. I found out the reason.
you can't call Miller. Call Vega. Also, don't use the drill. I went through the electrified pipe and go to the other side alarm free.

Paasei

I encountered this and it pissed me off. I found out the reason.
you can't call Miller. Call Vega. Also, don't use the drill. I went through the electrified pipe and go to the other side alarm free.

Thank you for letting me know, will try and do that next time I am there.

DukeBobby

I love the track that plays while
Prague is under martial law

TF29 theme is also fantastic. Very reminiscent of the UNATCO theme.

Loving the game so far but man it's taking me a bit to get used to the controls. There are a lot of layers to the controls and a lot of system to try and remember.

Sprint being mapped to triangle and crouch to R3 is fucking with me lol. I've died more than once trying to wrestle with the controls during firefights.

I really had a problem with the controls, there wasn't a single one that felt right to me so i messed around with PS4 accessibility settings and settled on this:

1) Use the Mankind Divided controls. — [This lets you have the extra L1 aug shortcut]
2) Disable "Aug and Inventory controls on L3". Then "Invert August and Inventory wheel inputs" — [This lets you have crouch on R3 without having to worry about accidentally triggering inventory]

3) Then in PS4 accessibility settings swap Triangle and L3. — [This lets you sprint with L3, while Triangle serves as cover button if pressed, and inventory if held.]

You only need to remember that L3 and Triangle are swapped. It sounds convoluted, but to me it was the only way I could play the game, so hope it helps.
Edit: you can also add accessibility to PS4's quick menu so you can turn custom button mapping on and off easily.

Edit 2:
Great stuff.

So far the only thing I miss from HR which MD hasn't improved upon is the food/protein stuff. All the consumables you pick up (outside of Aug/combat related things) are alcohol right?

They have been swapped for bio-cells. which makes more sense in-world than protein bars I guess. I know they have kept that for the DX purists but I believe that the game would have been mechanically "better" by just having your battery recharge to its max and instead altering the rates of depletion for each aug use. The MD battery system is better than HR but its not as much of an improvement as its UI redesign implied it would be.

Alternatively it could be fixed by one of the battery aug upgrades being an increase in the core/base battery rather than the extended bar.

— oh also the church mission requires you to make a decision in order to invoke it so it can be missed.
you will be given a choice of missions between infiltrating the bank or saving someone's daughter. you need to choose the daughter to do the mission in the church.

nOoblet16

Extra slot for aug isn't the only advantage of that control scheme. Every other scheme (except Breach) allows you to access only one wheel at the press of a button, in order to access the aug wheel you have to press another button to switch to it.

In MD and Breach mode scheme both wheels are mapped to separate buttons.

Window

The rave was pretty disappointing but The Red Queen nails the atmosphere (even though it too is lacking in NPC density. I thought using the Hitman engine would have helped in that area).

Mooreberg

I noticed all the ammo I was hoarding in Casa de Jensen vanished after the tranisition to night time. Is this routine after certain story missions? Not a big deal for that instance since it was lethal ammo and unmodded weapons. But I am starting to improve the nonlethal and EMP round weapons quite a bit, and I would like to not lose those.

Side missions for "All in the Family" trophy were amazing to stealth through. If the story missions stay on par with Golem City, I am going to be very happy.

So finished it earlier and here are a few random thoughts I from when i was discussing with a friend who hadn't finished but asked me my opinion. some minor spoilers through implication but nothing specific.

I don't feel that the story is flawed. It's just a different type of narrative to what HR is designed for. HR needs to set up & gradually unveil the world in which DX occurs. HR does this by being a conspiracy/revenge investigation with social commentary, while MD is post that. MD is a "so what happens after the conspiracy?" social commentary of the fallout.

I would say that it doesn't conclude satisfactorily though. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided |OT2|
It's not the end of the game, but you can see it from here

It definitely suffers from the "middle of a trilogy" problem though - where it does further the overall narrative, but some significant stuff is introduced and alluded to but isn't going to come into play until whenever the next game comes out.

Generally I absolutely loved playing though it though, Prague is dense, the side locations are all beautiful and well designed. The social commentary is perfect and tbh all I really want from the game is more of it.

Saying that though there are things i didn't like:

• The controls (bad, but fixable - Eidos, I know you guys read GAF please add another control scheme like the one i mentioned in an earlier post)

• The way battery is handled (I am now convinced they will never change this, sadly). It will always make you reluctant to use your abilities to the fullest because you are more concerned with managing battery than enjoying/utilising your abilities.

• Combat is better but still ineffective. The Titan Shield is a good addition to rectify that problem, but is hampered - by vast power drain (especially annoying as there are enemies who have Titan shield but theirs lasts longer than yours). I don't know if there's is infinite tho, because I kill them before they become a problem.

Anyways this is easily remedied by making the battery always recharge to max and not degrading that max by using abilities. Or make one of the battery augs increase the core/base charge limit.

• It ends before it "should".
You never find out if the Human Restoration Act passes or not and thus if the Illuminati plan you are working to stop progresses.In the bad ending, it does pass, but in the good ending its not stated definitively either way. This means that you don't know if you have successfully derailed the Illuminati's plan and you down know if all your efforts for the game were successful or not so there is no closure like there was at the end of HR and Panchea.

I feel it would have been best to have a portion of the ending video stating that the Human Restoration Act had been stopped AND that Brown/delegates were continuing to push for Augs rights would have done more for the perception of the ending

• What happened to Sarif's voice? - it sounded like someone else completely.​

The rave was pretty disappointing but The Red Queen nails the atmosphere (even though it too is lacking in NPC density. I thought using the Hitman engine would have helped in that area).

NPC density is the reason Hitman runs so poorly.

That, combined with this game's RAM hunger would be a disaster.

Top Bottom