• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Develop - PS4 - 26 developers speak

ascii42

Heh

Gearbox Software FX artist Nick Peterson said:
"As for the social aspect, I don't really care about it personally. I'm sure some will, but I also wonder if it is really as big as people claim it is or will be on consoles.

"It seems to me most peoples' social sphere sticks to Facebook and not much else at all. PlayStation Home was a flop, the social tools for the Vita don't seem to be used often, and honestly, I get tired of seeing and hearing 14 year old kids mouthing off at everyone when I play online."

Well, that's one, versus 26 here. Plus Epic were just trying to sell Unreal. Add to that, I think PS3 was different because the GPU ended up being far less capable than it was advertised, but that was largely Nvidia's fault, not Sony's.

Exactly. Things can change from reveal to release so let the released games themselves be the judge.

Jburton

Banned
Catering to the lowest common denominator does not mean the console with the better hardware won't get the superior versions of multiplatform games.

Also it did not happen this generation, development was slanted to 360 and not PS3.

Site is down. This is the biggest screw-up since Sim-City. PS4 is probably doomed now.

NM, the site must've just been busy. PS4 == NextGen Champ.

Also it did not happen this generation, development was slanted to 360 and not PS3.

Developers went into games wanting them to be at parity. That was mentioned by devs in several interviews earlier on this gen. It's just that the PS3's design was so weird that it caused issues with that.

As a whole, it's encouraging to read. That said, we're still left waiting to hear more from Microsoft. If the 720 has backwards compatibility, I'm sure I'll get both eventually. If not, the bigger question will be if there'd be enough reason to get the 720 in addition to the PS4.

Respawn

Banned
Yes, the lowest common denominator will doom us all. Hitman Absolution and Sleeping Dogs [among hundreds of others] look AWFUL on PC's... I swear games made for those 6 year old consoles simply cant look any better on more powerful systems.

Please refrain from posting stupidity. If you read my post as something else you would be wrong.

Exactly. Things can change from reveal to release so let the released games themselves be the judge.

Yeah lets have an event to the world going into detail what they are accomplishing then downgrade the specs already shipping in the latest dev kits. Stop comparing stuff from 7 years ago and that post you quoted isn't helping you.

Jonm1010

Banned
Yes, the lowest common denominator will doom us all. Hitman Absolution and Sleeping Dogs [among hundreds of others] look AWFUL on PC's... I swear games made for those 6 year old consoles simply cant look any better on more powerful systems.
I'm more worried that if microsofts system is gimped enough that it will hurt the other platforms(PC/ps4) in other ways. Perhaps limiting gameplay and design choices in certain ways because 720's architecture is holding them back. Similar to how some developers felt toward the HD twins toward the latter part of this generation.

Therefore just by sheer existence and expected market share of 720 nullifying some of the strengths Sony's system could bring to the table for multiplatform titles because the lower common denominator needs to run almost identical to its other console counterpart in order to not hurt sales too bad.

nib95

Banned

Nothing changed (besides the number of USB/Ethernet ports). The problem with the false advertising was purely on Nvidia, for pulling an Apple on calculating the flop count. This time it's different since AMD are making the parts for both consoles, and historically AMD have a more accurate calculation of flops etc.

Air-Edel's Chris Green
"The roll back to x86 technology (PC technology) should make it a lot easier and quicker for studios to create and optimise cross-platform games, and get up and running quickly when the new systems come out, something that the PS3 had issues with.

"Also, I feel the x86 platform was what helped the XBox 360 get such a strong hold in the market even though the PS3 was on paper a better machine, because the developers felt more comfortable writing for it. In my opinion it was only really the PS3 exclusive games that showed off the system to its full potential."

So, Xbox 360 was x86...and this "developer" ( these are mainly IOs developers, right? ) is making opinions on new hardware...interesting...

While devs are praising sony for making a glorified PC in a box, sony in the process has lost what made them unique. They are no longer a hardware innovator in the gaming industry. They have essentially become a me too. No individuality no sense of uniqueness. All died when ken was kicked out by the welsh idiot.

It's going to be ironic when MS a software company shows more risk and uniqueness when it comes to designing their next generation console.

Dragon

Banned
While devs are praising sony for making a glorified PC in a box, sony in the process has lost what made them unique. They are no longer a hardware innovator in the gaming industry. They have essentially become a me too. No individuality no sense of uniqueness. All died when ken was kicked out by the welsh idiot.

It's going to be ironic when MS a software company shows more risk and uniqueness when it comes to designing their next generation console.

Five
Hundred
Ninety
Nine
Dollars

Really all that needs to be said to completely abuse your point.

Yeah, Valve could have launched a console like PS4 with the Steambox sticker and call it a day. All these years getting experience in designing hardware seem to have been futile. All that Sony and Toshiba chip expertise... no doubt Kojima is not excited with PS4. No japanese tech pride in it.

Yeah, I'm sure gamers are chomping at the bit for that next gen Kinect.

Yeah, Valve could have launched a console like PS4, call it Steambox and it would have been the same. All these years getting experience in designing software seem to have been futile.

So the hardware is not exciting because it doesn't have some crazy, custom designed CPU that ultimately performs no better than the cheaper stock solution?

Just like with tablets, computers, and smartphones, there's A LOT more to hardware than the processors.

Yeah lets have an event to the world going into detail what they are accomplishing then downgrade the specs already shipping in the latest dev kits. Stop comparing stuff from 7 years ago and that post you quoted isn't helping you.

Every system is going to be compared to the one before it. Deal with it.

Nothing changed (besides the number of USB/Ethernet ports). The problem with the false advertising was purely on Nvidia, for pulling an Apple on calculating the flop count. This time it's different since AMD are making the parts for both consoles, and historically AMD have a more accurate calculation of flops etc.

We should go back to the summer of 2005 and see how pre-launch developer comments matched their actual output but that would be another thread.

Yeah, I'm sure gamers are chomping at the bit for that next gen Kinect.

So the hardware is not exciting because it doesn't have some crazy, custom designed CPU that ultimately performs no better than the cheaper stock solution?

Just like with tablets, computers, and smartphones, there's A LOT more to hardware than the processors.

Cell could have been improved and smoked all those CUs for computing. Remember, Cell could decode 48 MPEG-2 Streams while the UVD unit inside the PS4 can decode...2.The problem was the ridiculous RSX. SPUs are the best computing processors in the world. All that is now wasted...

Regardless of what platform or how good or bad it is, these early impressions are just PR and/or plugs for their own games.

They have been every single gen and they have no value.
Anyone remember all the big talk about emotion engine or ps3 graphics or 32 bit before that? Remember kojima boasting about how amazing the ps3 was gona be? While a few years later he expressed displeasure about that same hardware?
Devs praise the wii to high heavens when it turned out successful, if it had failed they would have bashed it in hindsight.

A year ago devs said there is no need for faster hardware, this year those same devs showed demos at the ps4 announcement and express their excitement about better graphics...

It's always 1 'o clock in these interviews, regardless of what the time is.

Cell could have been improved and smoked all those CUs for computing. The problem was the ridiculous RSX. SPUs are the best computing processors in the world. All that is now wasted...

Sony would have to foot the bill developing this new CELL. IBM is no longer continuing with that line.

nib95

Banned
Cell could have been improved and smoked all those CUs for computing. The problem was the ridiculous RSX. SPUs are the best computing processors in the world. All that is now wasted...

None of that matters if it costs devs tonnes of extra time and money to master. That's essentially the heart of why Sony has gone a different direction this time. With the PS1/PS2 it was different, since they had a huge stranglehold over the market by sales numbers and install base. They could not have afforded to go exotic again, imo it would have been a hugely detrimental move giving Microsoft further levy with third party developers. I think the direction they've gone is the sensible one, and nearly every dev that's spoken on the matter seems to agree.

I wouldn't discount the potential for improvements either, since Sony are allowing devs to code to the metal, away from the typical API's, so you should still see some good improvements even a few years in. Especially from the first party devs who routinely get stuck in to such things.

None of that matters if it costs devs tonnes of extra time and money to master. That's essentially the heart of why Sony has gone a different direction this time. With the PS1/PS2 it was different, since they had a huge stranglehold over the market by sales numbers and install base. They could not have afforded to go exotic again, imo it would have been a hugely detrimental move giving Microsoft further levy with third party developers. I think the direction they've gone is the sensible one, and nearly every dev that's spoken on the matter seems to agree.

I wouldn't discount the potential for improvements either, since Sony are allowing devs to code to the metal, away from the typical API's, you should still see some good improvements even a few years in. Especially from the first party devs who routinely get stuck in to such things.

The SPURs engine is attached to x86 CPUs and support x86 instructions that the low level API convert to the SPU own ISA. Difficulty in this case is gone. But is cheaper to go with a tablet cpu inside the gpu.
And we must give thanks to Sony ( or better to SWW studios ) they ditched their initial plan of going with a 6670 gpu.

Raoh

4 things I've taken from this.

1. Easy to port/apply (from an x86 perspective not a console to console) leaving more time/room for creativity/tweaks.

2. Indie Love. One side comes from Sony's embrace other from bitterness of bad dealings with Microsoft in the past.

3. Ram Ram Ram.

4. Parity, mostly stated by posters here.

My biggest issue and I hope this dies next gen, is parity. No one wanted parity except MS who was trying to get a foothold early this gen and not be left behind like they were the last gen and publishers going cheap by making the same game 3 times (PC/Mac, 360, PS3). I'd rather see one game get 3 different approaches based on each consoles strengths/limitations and PC full out features.

I never undestood why some gamers stated they get a platform for the third party games and then get multiple consoles and a pc.

I just think that less parity brings forth more ideas and approaches for each game per platform. For instance Unreal Tournament 3 w/ strong XBL features on 360 and w/ mod support on the PS3. I may want to double dip just to try each platforms features. (Editted: for a better example)

Without parity we could have had some great third party PS3 titles with less issues (think of the add ons developers could have added like screengrabs, music, game invites that sony left up to the developers) and some better 360 titles that were less pc generic copies had it not been for "Parity"

I believe in standards but not parity.

As far as cost being an issue, more money is spent making more games that no one wants than spending time on making one game really great. Just an opinion.

Catering to the lowest common denominator does not mean the console with the better hardware won't get the superior versions of multiplatform games.

It's still a bummer... they won't be as good as they could have been if the 720 was up to snuff (assuming all these spec rumors are true and it's running DDR3). Only saving grace is that Sony has such a great 1st-party division that we'll see what the machine can really do from them.

fl0w

Air-Edel's Chris Green
"The roll back to x86 technology (PC technology) should make it a lot easier and quicker for studios to create and optimise cross-platform games, and get up and running quickly when the new systems come out, something that the PS3 had issues with.

"Also, I feel the x86 platform was what helped the XBox 360 get such a strong hold in the market even though the PS3 was on paper a better machine, because the developers felt more comfortable writing for it. In my opinion it was only really the PS3 exclusive games that showed off the system to its full potential."
So, Xbox 360 was x86...and this "developer" ( these are mainly IOs developers, right? ) is making opinions on new hardware...interesting...

Yeah, the 360 was PowerPC and if excuse me if I'm being ignorant, but that's not x86... right?
Air Edel seems to be some kind of record company...

Oppo

zrVZ68M.jpg

Wynnebeck

Banned
The guy at Gearbox doesn't sound impressed at all.

This was the same studio that said if Sony wanted Borderlands 2 for the Vita, they would have to pay Gearbox to get the license and Sony would have to make the game themselves. I don't think anyone is paying attention to them.

nib95

Banned
This was the same studio that said if Sony wanted Borderlands 2 for the Vita, they would have to pay Gearbox to get the license and Sony would have to make the game themselves. I don't think anyone is paying attention to them.

Isn't it also the same studio that completely screwed Sega recently with the whole Aliens development out sourcing and financial leeching?

Melchiah

Seems to be a lot of indie love among those quotes. Hopefully that'll result with a lot of innovative indie games on the system.

Wish Studios CEO Caspar Field
"PS4 was intelligently pitched as developer-friendly, internet-friendly, powerful, social, and accessible - all of those were the right buttons to press. It was smart to save the case design and price for later in the year; it's the services, positioning and controller that matter most. Sony has played its cards smartly, giving PS4 a very strong start."

I couldn't agree more. Revealing all their cards too early would only benefit the competitor, who could then one-up them easily in their own event.

And I hope this comes true.
nDreams CEO Patrick O'Luanaigh
"I have been very impressed by what I've heard about the PS4 so far. Sure, it's a powerful piece of hardware, but I'm more excited by their focus on 'immediacy'. One of the many reasons that tablet and mobile gaming is growing so rapidly is the speed of play - you can literally pick up a tablet and be playing a game in seconds.

"Sadly, the PS3 isn't able to compete with that; I think most PS3 or 360 owners find themselves sat around too often waiting for a system update and/or game patch to download and install before they can play. Being able to jump onto your PS4 and start a game within a few seconds will make a real difference.

Thorgal

Seems to be a lot of indie love among those quotes. Hopefully that'll result with a lot of innovative indie games on the system.

I couldn't agree more. Revealing all their cards too early would only benefit the competitor, who could then one-up them easily in their own event.

And I hope this comes true.

I only hope they allow me to change to another HDD

constantly downloading demos and games plus updates PS+ games i think im gonna need 1TB at least :)

Drek

You guys remember that we had pretty often this generation "one flop- gone"?

Welcome to capitalism. If you grow your studio too quickly and take on too much risk that's what happens.

How many small/indie houses have closed up after one "flop"? Its only studios/publishers trying to shortcut their way into the AAA realm that has killed companies.

That's equivalent to a bunch of film school graduates getting together and trying to turn out The Avengers. What else is to be expected?

As one of the quoted developers said, the industry has shaped itself into tiers now. Sony's business model seemingly supports this with it's strong indie/small studio focus. If you want to make new, exciting content on the PS4 you aren't locked into a farm of expensive development kits or tying yourself to a big publisher's demands on what your games should look like now. That is entirely your own gamble to take.

longdi

Banned
sounds like sony winning over western developers whom were very strongly affiliated with xbox! props to them for the 8gb upgrade! they could have stuck with 4gb.

Top Bottom