• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Developers hate Series S

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
We don't have to imagine. PS5 already has exclusives and we've seen how low some games drop. Would FF16 be dropping into the 720p range if they were forced to optimize for Series S? Probably not.

People keep ignoring that Series S also works as a canary build for the stronger consoles. It's the only reason you aren't seeing more 720p games.
So if they need to build for XSS the bigger consoles have less of a problem as they get pushed less hard, well tell people something they do not know ;).

Codeblew

5f0.jpg
I mean, they could have put in an extra 8 hour shift at McDonalds to upgrade to an XSX.

SkylineRKR

As someone who has had a PS5 since day one, I wish developers would “just create a PS5 version”. Instead, they always seem to create a PS4 version and simply enable higher resolution when running on a PS5.

This is becoming less and less the case with cross platform being phased out. Meanwhile Xbox is stuck with S for like the entirety of this gen. They can drop Xbox One internally, as we've seen with some games like Flight Sim and the upcoming Starfield, but they can't drop XSS ever this gen.

Last edited:

BlackTron

I'm sure this isn't what I meant, I own series s, i'm not "rich" and I can't afford a beefy machine like a Series X, but these devs are telling me to go fuck myself because I don't have shit tons of money to buy a 499€ console.

Xbox isn't telling you to go fuck yourself if you're poor, they are working double time for you. They set up their model to become last/crossgen game land, and now they are bending rules to try and squeeze a real next gen game from PS5 onto Series S.

Maybe MS thought they would be SO successful, the whole industry would need to accept having games dragged down for a whole gen just to have titles on Xbox.

Games on Series S aren't going to get any worse. We should be happy games on other consoles will be allowed to be better without being affected by it.

To be fair MS did kinda tell you to go f yourself at the start of the gen when they blatantly lied about what the S could do. But we shouldn't have an entire long gen defined by S just for that. It was a mass produced affordable COVID crossgen box masquerading as a next gen system.

"MS lied to me and now all gamers with more money than me need to have complete parity with my experience for the whole gen" sorry no.

The difference between S/X and Switch portable/dock modes is that Nintendo never pretended anything, it's not a different sku, and X has to compete with a home console of the same price so it has the same perceived value. But that value isn't there when only one has pure next gen exclusives because the other one has to also target little brother mode.

They should have gone for a single sku for a healthier ecosystem and let people play Xbox One until they can afford it. It's what Sony did and why they are successful.

So far, what I know all points to the amount or speed of RAM, but why is that limiting in some cases and not others? Exactly? I start to have some ideas, but they don't amount to clearly understanding things.

avin
The most simple explanation is that PS4 has about the same amount of RAM as Series S. So if you make cross-gen games then the RAM would not be a big problem. But people are not making cross gen games anymore and that means things change from now on.

Hudo

So much bullshit. Developers say this since the dawn of times, with every console ever. Guess what? Do your job with what you have. Later you will have more, and then you repeat this process

Last of Us milked the PS3, Halo 4 is a great achievement for the 360, Splinter Cell 3 on the original Xbox looks better than some early 7th gen games, God of War 2 doesn't have loading screens on PS2 and Resident Evil 4 still looks great on the Game Cube. Why is that? Because they did their job well
Stop talking sense! These are the console wars, soldier. Get your hyperboles out immediately! Back to the front with you.

Montauk

I fundamentally never understood this strategy.

We’ve struggled through a generation where despite some fundamental spec weaknesses developers have pulled off amazing things.

Everybody - devs and gamers - were hungry for a much higher spec that could deliver fundamental improvements (like the SSDs clearly have) as well as the usual large increase in overall power.

So why settle on a reasonably strong spec within the constraints of being a console (like price) and then say “ok now let’s bork it by making a bonked-on-the-head version”?

Last edited:
For Unreal Engine 5 games, at least, it seems to be doing well for itself.

Immortals holds a pretty good 60 FPS on the console. The engine itself is scalable and supports all the way down to the Switch, so that part of the equation isn't the problem.

Good point.
Doesn’t it run at a PS2 era resolution on Series S?

BlackTron

Reading the marketplace for instant gratification, short-term thinking with no plan for long-term success other than "see what happens and wing it".

Sony took a beating near the start of the gen with supply shortages and slow ramp-up of next-gen games to qualify the higher standard. They smartly invested in winning the generation while Xbox bragged about how many crossgen boxes they could supply during Covid.

Edit: These are the kind of game business understanding and tactics that make Sony and Nintendo veteran behemoth's and MS wannabe's that gotta buy their way out.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

I'm sure this isn't what I meant, I own series s, i'm not "rich" and I can't afford a beefy machine like a Series X, but these devs are telling me to go fuck myself because I don't have shit tons of money to buy a 499€ console.

The issue is that there's nothing really wrong with owning a cheaper, weaker console, but that has to come with compromises.

So far though, the people being compromised are the ones with the more expensive machine, and that shouldn't be how it works.

MS should have been more honest about what buying a Series S would mean for the consumer. They weren't. They lied and said there would be no compromises - and they've hamstrung the better machine instead of admitting they were lying.

Glad this is starting to change.

Last edited:

damidu

We’ve struggled through a generation where despite some fundamental spec weaknesses developers have pulled off amazing things.

Everybody - devs and gamers - were hungry for a much higher spec that could deliver fundamental improvements (like the SSDs clearly have) as well as the usual large increase in overall power.

So why settle on a reasonably strong spec within the constraints of being a console (like price) and then say “ok now let’s bork it by making a bonked-on-the-head version”?
they wanted lowest price point without eating the cost

look at their already abysmal sales figures and imagine where they would be with just selling a $500 console

squarealex

Anyone know why Fort Solid is not on Xbox Series? (Announced at Gamescom night, only on PS5/PC) No sign of deal exclusivity with Sony...

1_q3euKmh.jpg

Series S fault?

I feel they are more and more game will be release first on PC/PS5. (and PS5 globales sales will be unstoppable with Spider-Man 2, which is comforting some devs to work only one PS5/PC).

Last edited:
Well, the others run at PS3 resolution, so it's not exactly a dunk. Series S runs the game the smoothest out of all 3.
The whole thing is a awful with the Series S the worst of the bunch. You can optimise for a better framerate, which I assume will happen with the XSX and PS5, but I doubt you’ll see a resolution boost on the Series S.

The whole game is a technical dump though. Crikey.

Last edited:

Edmund

If this gen lasts until 2028, then devs will have to tolerate the Series S until at least 2030 due to games being crossgen for a couple more years when the PS6 and next Xbox console releases.

I hope the green rats can see how big of a problem this is going to be.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You have seen the visual quality too right ;)?

Yes, but for performance purists, it's probably the best console version.

But I digress, Unreal 5 is an engine which supports all the way down to Switch, so making games work on different hardware using those would be easier to manage than if a game is using a bespoke engine.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Anyone know why Fort Solid is not on Xbox Series? (Announced at Gamescom night, only on PS5/PC) No sign of deal exclusivity with Sony...

1_q3euKmh.jpg

Series S fault?

I feel they are more and more game will be release first on PC/PS5. (and PS5 globales sales will be unstoppable with Spider-Man 2, which is comforting some devs to work only one PS5/PC).
That one 3 hour long game?

They are a very small dev studio and had to decide where to prioritize, so they decided on PS5/Mac/PC.
Xbox version is coming later.
It has nothing to do with the Series S.

That one 3 hour long game?

They are a very small dev studio and had to decide where to prioritize, so they decided on PS5/Mac/PC.
Xbox version is coming later.
It has nothing to do with the Series S.

Looking at what the developers said that could very well be the case.

Basically larger install base > smaller install base

Also it probably takes them longer to develop for two consoles than just one so there's probably that as well.

As for difficulties with the Series S we really don't know anything about that coming from them. Maybe they have issues Maybe they don't it depends on what they are trying to do with the game.

laynelane

Just want to share how much love I have for the ever evolving narrative.

- Series S is brilliant value option that will skyrocket Xbox sales. Watch out of India!

- The hardware is actually more advanced than PS5 in some ways and will give it a run for its money, RDNA2 + faster CPU, that’s right.

- The games will look like Series X just at 1440p.

- Series S IS NOT holding back anything. Scaling is as good as flipping a switch in the API.

- Devs have no problem with S because of PC.

to

MS is going to take the series S out of the market or allow devs to simply delay their games on it. Good on MS for no feature parity. 1080p at half the framerate? Sounds good to me. Devs hate it? Listen listen listen, WE ALL KNEW Series S was going to be a terrible little piece of shit guys, it’s unfair to criticize MS for putting a piece of shit on the market, it’s not fair what could Phil Spencer have done? They had to do it. Series S owners knew what they were buying, nobody was mislead, Phil Spencer said it himself when it was announced “Series S is for the broke, cheap ass gamer who doesn’t want to invest on quality products or games, and at some point in time you will regret paying for this garbage”. It was the plan all along!

I've seen the idea floated around that S owners are somehow at fault for buying the system. They should have somehow, magically known MS' marketing was bullshit. One of the worst takes thus far. It will be interesting to see if there is any push back on this from customers. There really should be.

Audiophile

As I alluded to in my prior mockup, they should have knocked a teraflop off the XSX with a smaller, cheaper die but with a faster clock and subsequent faster front end. Then add a teraflop or so on to the XSS. It'd have been cheaper and easier to get an extra teraflop on the XSS rather than the XSX. Then just bump the memory and bandwidth a little on the XSS. This way the gulf is smaller and the overall cost across both systems probably would have been cheaper.

SHA

The lack of RAM and Microsofts requirement of parity is the issue here. The steam deck is a different beast entirely and getting steam deck verified does not mean its expected to have all the features of other PC systems, simply that it runs ok when the correct settings are applied.

Really is going to be a nightmare once the PS5 Pro gets released.
So the ss will make other consoles useless?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Did you the Xbox Series and PlayStation spec thread thread back in 2020?

People were convinced the PlayStation 5 was a poorly designed console because they thought Sony overclocked things at the last second. All they needed back then was Chris Grannell, Kirby Louise, Dealer, Colteastwood, and Dee Batch.

After all that crap back in 2020, it's fair to point out problems with the Xbox Series S when devs are voicing their frustration with the console.

People just don't want to admit that Microsoft screwed up a bit when they designed the Xbox Series S.
This.
You have seen the visual quality too right ;)?
I swear some ppl are really being obtuse.

I mean...if the PS5 and XSX had as many cutbacks as the Series S...they too would be smoother.

I swear some ppl are really being obtuse.

I mean...if the PS5 and XSX had as many cutbacks as the Series S...they too would be smoother.

I just hope nobody believes the Series S is more powerful than the XSX and the PS5. Even if the FPS is a little better you need to question what sacrifices the devs made to get there. And in almost all situations (that I know of) the Series S makes serious cutbacks when compared to the PS5 and XSX versions.

He means gaming on computer... And TBF specifically said "PC"

The hate from console gamers is strange, especially the ones who don't own one. I don't generally see PC gamers hating each other over differences in hardware (maybe they do, but I don't usually go into tech spec threads).

supernova8

Banned
I called it ages ago.
Microsoft seems to have made the mistake of assuming that developers/publishers would be so desperate to put their games on Xbox that they would go along with Microsoft's parity policy.

Apparently at least some would rather forego Xbox altogether than spend time scaling their game down to Series S.
What I won't tolerate is Microsoft officially allowing developers to skip on features on the Series S version.

As a Series S owner, here are Microsoft's options:
1) throw everything (spare engineering resources-wise) you have at the problem to make it all work
2) end the parity requirement but release a digital-only Series X power equivalent and offer a free trade-in for Series S owners
3) end the parity requirement but leave Series S owners in the cold

Picking option 3 means that I immediately sell my Series S. Simple as that.

Bottom line is the whole "oh come on Series S is obviously too weak and holding the generation back" argument means nothing. Microsoft promised parity and marketed Series S as being in the same generation as the Series X. They explicitly said that all games would be on Series S and would be feature complete, only running at lower resolution and/or framerate (I can accept that bit).

They can't just turn around a few years and be like:
whoops GIF

without consumers voting with their wallets and telling Microsoft to get fucked.

Last edited:

digdug2

I'm not a console hardware engineer, so maybe my take isn't feasible or accurate. But looking at this from a layman's perspective, they should have, at the very least, made the XSS noticeably more powerful than the One X.

They could have kept the CPU and SSD the same as it is currently, but they should have boosted the graphics and RAM to at least the same performance of the One X. 6TF with the new RDNA capabilities and 12GB of GDDR6 would have absolutely made a difference.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

I'm not a console hardware engineer, so maybe my take isn't feasible or accurate. But looking at this from a layman's perspective, they should have at the very least, made the XSS noticeably more powerful than the One X.

They could have kept the CPU and SSD the same as it is currently, but they should have boosted the graphics and RAM to at least the same performance of the One X.

...or... you know... just make a single next generation games console, with enough exclusive games to showcase its power, and draw in consumers.

Silly concept in 2023, I guess.

digdug2

...or... you know... just make a single next generation games console, with enough exclusive games to showcase its power, and draw in consumers.

Silly concept in 2023, I guess.
There is also that. There's no more chip shortage now like there was when these consoles were released, so it should definitely be doable.

The hate from console gamers is strange, especially the ones who don't own one. I don't generally see PC gamers hating each other over differences in hardware (maybe they do, but I don't usually go into tech spec threads).
Lol what? As somebody else said as well try bringing up Mac and you'll see the same amount of people that shit on other consoles shit on Macs (and iPhones/iPad as well) and it's the same when PCMR constantly shits on consoles like their existence killed their dog and how everybody that makes a decision that doesn't match theirs is a fucking retard. This happens with every single topic, it's not just a PS/XB thing.

Also look at how many people deepthroat Nvidia and shit on AMD. They willingly get fucked in the ass and keep going back for more.

Lol what? As somebody else said as well try bringing up Mac and you'll see the same amount of people that shit on other consoles shit on Macs (and iPhones/iPad as well) and it's the same when PCMR constantly shits on consoles like their existence killed their dog and how everybody that makes a decision that doesn't match theirs is a fucking retard. This happens with every single topic, it's not just a PS/XB thing.

Also look at how many people deepthroat Nvidia and shit on AMD. They willingly get fucked in the ass and keep going back for more.
No thank you. As I said, I don't care for those kinds of threads in general.

Top Bottom