• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Developers: STOP using Chromatic Aberration

image.php

Holy shit that perfect avatar quote

Timu

It doesn't look good in Bloodborne either, too much pink outlines in a game like this with a dark setting, lol.

tanooki27

Truly offensive images. All of those games look like total garbage - it's like we're stuck in the PSX era. I'm shocked and appalled that this is what is classed as passable in this day and age. I don't know if the parents are to blame or it's the times we're living in, but enough it enough.

I think the OP is sad that their avatar has poor IQ :(

I agree. after seeing those images I lifted my head and filled my apartment with keening anguish.

Developers: keep using CA in your games. When used in moderation it adds a nice look and feel to a game. For best example of this effect in use see Destiny.

I don't think it has anything to do with developers lagging behind the movie industry, nothing to that effect.

First person views have almost always been presented as cameras as opposed to simulating actual human sight. Why? Because it closely simulates a more film-like look and the various effects that indeed influence the clarity of the image make it look more like a real camera. It's more realistic in the sense that it simulates real camera effects and flaws. To me it's similar to using CRT shaders for emulating older systems. Yes, it brings the image closer to what it used to look like on the original systems but it also introduces distortions and reduces image clarity in a way.

Anybody who's saying that games should simulate actual human eyesight, have you actually ever played a game that's attempted to do that? As in showing what it really looks like when looking at the sun, showing afterimages, floaters, constant blinking, simulating snappy eye movements instead of continuously rotating the camera/head etc? I'm not saying it shouldn't be done, just that it has pretty much never been the goal.

Also, regarding the film industry, Holywood's been doing the same thing with wide lens flares and purposefuly using or simulating anamorphic lenses (X-Men: First Clas comes to mind) in recent years.

In general, modern western society is very much in a nostalgia retro-mode the last decade or so and it's kinda fashionable to use or imitate old hardware, sounds, fashion and art styles so I think that might have something to do with it.

In any case, I don't mind CA and even preffer it in some cases, but it really needs to be done well, just like any other effect really. For example, I enjoy it thematically in Alien: Isolation although it should probably be tweaked, but in Payday 2 it's definitely overdone.

HanaChie

Banned
That screen from Bloodborne looks like a fucking mess. To be honest I wasn't noticing much of it at first glance from other shoots. Thanks Seanspeed though, from now on I won't be able to unsee this shit effect from screens ^^.

They are of course entitled to do what they want. And I'm entitled to bitch and moan about it. I don't usually bitch and moan about much of anything in life, but this has been something that has been building up and I cant seem to get away from it anymore.

So I'm gonna do what plenty of other people do all the time and complain about it as loud as I can hoping to get heard. I don't expect devs will read this and all agree and say, "Huh, he's right, let's stop doing it." I'm not naïve. But if I can just raise awareness of it, maybe it can get the ball rolling a bit to where more people critique it and notice it and maybe at some point, devs will start realizing that people are hating on their game for including it and choose to opt of using it, or again - at least start including the option to turn it off. At least LOTF and Alien Isolation do allow that and I thank them for that greatly.

Alright, that's totally valid. I will say I hated the film grain in Mass Effect 1 and appreciated the option to turn it off so I can understand the desire for disabling CA, even though it doesn't bother me personally.

As others have said, options aren't a bad thing.

No, the effect only started appearing prominently in about 2013 I think.

The funny thing is... I am pretty sure the first game to use it was Crysis 3 (which also had lens falres). But the devs said it was because you have a visor.

Ryse has no CA and no lens flares even though it is more cinematic. LOL

ZombiU in 2012 was the first prominent title to heavily use it I think. Then yes, in the next year it slowly started to become a thing.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The funny thing is... I am pretty sure the first game to use it was Crysis 3 (which also had lens falres). But the devs said it was because you have a visor.

Ryse has no CA and no lens flares even though it is more cinematic. LOL
The sad truth is that it's on by default in CryEngine and UE4 and some devs probably forget to turn it off.

FuturusX

That screen from Bloodborne looks like a fucking mess. To be honest I wasn't noticing much of it at first glance from other shoots. Thanks Seanspeed though, from now on I won't be able to unsee this shit effect from screens ^^.

Try playing the game rather than looking at a screen and then see if you feel the same. You don't play static images.

system11

This past half year, it's been an actual plague. Games I have not bought because of CA:

Dying Light
Bloodborne

Games I did buy but only stuck with because the story really interested me, while suffering the CA:

The Order
Life Is Strange

As a long time console owner, I'm starting to even consider going PC because then at least there are people hacking it out of games.

Nanashrew

Banned
Does that matter? It's an artistic tool if the artists want to put it into their game then that effect represents how they wanted to present their world.

You're talking about 'improving' a totally subjective thing. Like people will argue that Lens flare is a defect inherent to photographic lenses but others will say that's it's totally awesome.

And anyway:
http://www.telescope-optics.net/eye_chromatism.htm
The human eye has a lot of chromatic aberration which our brain has to correct for. So if anything it's more realistic! =D

But it doesn't work since our brains correct the faults in real life but can easily notice when this stuff is off and weird. Your brain won't correct severe chromatic abberation where red, cyan or green or separated like in the example shots in this thread. Instead it will continually put strain on your eyes. The effect doesn't work as intended. Games that use it genuinely hurt my eyes and make them water. My brain is trying hard to correct the image and make it look sharp but it can't so the image is blurry and I can't focus.

MrPanic

Well, damn. Never heard of this term before. I actually thought it was my tv or console getting old or something and never payed it any mind to it for that reason, now you're telling me this is an intended effect? Disgusting, terrible, criminy. They better stop this ugliness asap, terrible effect in whatever case.
Or maybe I should just be glad my stuff ain't broke >.<

The sad truth is that it's on by default in CryEngine and UE4 and some devs probably forget to turn it off.

It is no longer on by default in the Cryengine EaaS. But UE4 definitely has it on by default.
ZombiU in 2012 was the first prominent title to heavily use it I think. Then yes, in the next year it slowly started to become a thing.

Oh, hah. A wii U title... yeah, no wonder I forgot :p

Seanspeed

Banned
oh no.

Get ready for the black hole of despair. You know what is coming.
Haha. Yea, The Order looks great.

I'd love to see what it looks like without CA still. A game can look good despite CA. But I wouldn't be averse to admitting that it may look alright in that game, either.

Skittles

Fuck payday 2 for this reason. Get a damn headache because it's so fucking awful in that game. So glad you can mod it out

this is the classic i didnt know what this was before but i learned a word and now im outraged when it didnt make much difference either way.

actually this is pretty much the same petty crap you see people complaining about on tumblr and twitter so i guess its no surprise it would bleed to gaming.
Wait what the hell are you talking about? This is pretty new to games and people have noticed and noted the effect cropping up in games from moment 1. It's legit uncomfortable for many of us. Try playing a game that goes overboard on it (or maybe you are one of those people wondering why you can't see it on a phone screen or when its not full screen in which case I'm wasting my time). Dying Light actually gives me headaches at times. CA significantly impacts image quality objectively depending on its implementation and the size of your screen, whether or not you believe the effect to be good or bad. You don't get to hamdwave it away as a universally petty thing just because you hardly notice it with very little apparent meaningful exposure to it.

XOMTOR

This is an example where the effect is used properly imo. The point is to achieve a sort of 80's film like quality, not necessarily to be crisp 20/20. I think it works. But yea, I get your point.

I've been a photographer since the mid 80s and the Alien Isolation image is terrible. In order to render that amount of CA, a lens would have to be seriously out of alignment, in other words defective. Even crap store brand lenses back in the day were not that bad.

I unfortunately do see it in real life. I have a ridiculous amount of astigmatism and anything not in the center of my glasses lenses has it to some degree. Things that are visible at the edges of my lenses have the blue/red borders just like the screen shots.

Me, too. I can even "move" red and blue objects, especially lights, by moving my head around. There's a Firestone store near where I used to live, and at night, I could make it look, quite literally, like the sign is not lit, but has floating lights that say Firestone just above/below/beside the sign, depending on the angle I'm looking through my glasses.

Or, as another example, the Gmail app icon on my phone looks like this:

Gmail_zpsw344zgt2.jpg

But if I look at it at an angle, it literally looks like this:

GmailCA_zpszygcgsl1.jpg

It's weird. That anyone would want to reproduce that shitty, vision-distorting effect in a video game blows my mind.

newsguy

I have mentioned this before but this is a good time to repeat it. For those who play on projectors, particularly lcd or lcos, chromatic aberration is fucking annoying. I spend an hour or more aligning my red green and blue panels and making everything tight. I put in something like Bloodborne and I literally have to walk right up to my screen, switch sources, try a different game, check my lcd panel setting etc... fuck that shit.

The effect very closely mimics out of whack red green and blue panels. It's in so many damn games now that I find myself looking for it immediately so later I don't think my projector needs maintenance. Not to mention that when blown up to theater-like sizes, the effect makes everything look softer, which in turn makes me think, "why play games this big if the developer is gonna make them look like shit?"

With 1080p being so common now, home theater gaming is finally becoming a viable reality. Last gen was ok, but there were many sub 720p games that were generally shitty on such a large screen. Finally we're getting pixel for pixel sharpness and these image degrading effects are like taking 2 steps back.

dtcm83

This is an example of a game(Alien Isolation) where people say they like it. I don't get it, but you can see what the effect is and how it ruins clarity at least:

Agreed, I think it looks terrible in every game that uses it. Especially gross in Bloodborne though.

i-Lo

It's all about finding the balance. I have same stance with image noise. Even now I wonder why in the world did Bioware remove their noise filter from ME2 onwards.... (could it be too many were whining)? And in this regard, I am thankful to RAD for having it in TO1886.

Movies, another visual medium, emphasizes on various filters and noise effects to superimpose a visual theme or an identifier. Games need not mimic reality because they are inherently more; an artistic choice gives it an unique identity.

That said, CA has been used in heavy handed fashion at times to what feels like an attempt to distract from either shortcoming in IQ department or trying too hard to mimic reality when viewed through a spherical lens.

Adaren

Try playing the game rather than looking at a screen and then see if you feel the same. You don't play static images.

I've said this already, but it shimmers like mad when you turn the camera. All the beautiful distant Victorian detail flickers with bright unnatural colors as you try to examine your surroundings.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Is it bad that I don't actually see it in most of these screenshots? Wearing glasses has meant that I've been living with seeing CA everywhere for pretty much my entire life. I've learned to tune it out in everyday life so I think I just don't even notice it done in games unless it's really egregious.

I think Titanfall did a good job implementing it also. It happens when an EMP grande goes off, to simulate the effect of electrical interference.

Nanashrew

Banned
In real life our eyes and brain correct chromatic abberation because that exists in real life. However, chromatic abberation doesn't work in film, photography and games so much because most amplify the severity of it so our brains can't correct it. So this causes eye strain or headaches. This is why cinematographers and photographers will often try to remove it through post-processing or better more higher quality lenses.

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm on that wiki page too :p. Top example is a high quality lens, the bottom is low quality lens.
That's the thing! Chromatic aberration is *usually* an unwanted effect and people pay top dollar for higher quality lenses to get rid of this effect.

Yet game developers are sitting here throwing this effect all over our games. Its nuts.

I can understand the odd game here or there using it, with a very specific art style in mind, but so many devs are using it now, and they are using it recklessly and with no moderation.

Z3M0G

This is an example of a game(Alien Isolation) where people say they like it. I don't get it, but you can see what the effect is and how it ruins clarity at least:

Thanks for this. Im staring at it and trying to figure out why it would be used at all. For Alien, it is perfect to make it look like an old film or something. But Bloodbourne and other such games?

Looking at this image, i wonder it they are using it as a cheap alternative to AA??

Top Bottom