• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Developers that have never made a "bad game"

Axass

To be fair the question should be: Developers, with (x) or more games under their belt, that have never made a "bad game".

This way Team ICO and Retro Studios are too easy of an answer.

Also "bad game" is very generic, considering people are calling out Blizzard and Platinum for Diablo III and MadWorld, which is ridiculous.

Slixshot

Banned
Rockstar, Bungie, Team ICO, 343 Industries (only one game), Keiji Inafune's games, Hideki Kamiya's games... uh... yeah :|

ensemble-studios-closed.jpg

sam27368

Banned
DICE haven't really made a "bad" game. Well maybe a couple but it's insane how fucking productive they are

Games
2013 Battlefield 3: End Game
2013 Battlefield 3: Aftermath
2012 Battlefield 3: Armored Kill
2012 Battlefield 3: Close Quarters
2011 Battlefield 3: Back to Karkand
2011 Battlefield 3
2010 Battlefield Bad Company 2: Vietnam
2009 Battlefield Heroes
2009 Battlefield: Bad Company 2
2009 Battlefield 1943
2008 Battlefield: Bad Company
2008 Mirror’s Edge
2007 Battlefield 2142: Northern Strike
2006 Battlefield 2142
2005 Battlefield 2: Modern Combat
2005 Battlefield Vietnam Redux
2005 Battlefield 2: Armored Fury
2005 Battlefield 2
2005 Battlefield 2: Special Forces
2004 RalliSport Challenge 2
2004 Battlefield Vietnam
2003 Midtown Madness 3
2003 Battlefield 1942: The Road to Rome
2003 Battlefield 1942: Secret Weapons of WWII
2002 Battlefield 1942
2002 Pryzm: Chapter One – The Dark Unicorn
2002 Shrek
2002 RalliSport Challenge
2002 V8 Challenge
2000 Michelin Rally Masters: Race of Champions
2000 NASCAR Heat
2000 Swedish Touring Car Championship 2
2000 Riding Champion: Legacy of Rosemond Hill
1999 Codename Eagle
1999 Swedish Touring Car Championship
1998 Motorhead
1998 Volvo V70 Racing
1997 S40 Racing
1996 True Pinball
1995 Pinball Illusions
1993 Benefactor
1992 Pinball Fantasies
1992 Pinball Dreams

GhaleonQ

What I learned from this topic: people have very short memories or they don't know the histories of their ostensible favorite developers.

I'm trying to think of a company that has a long streak and either innovates within 1 genre or does multiple genres. Polyphony Digital is great, but they did 1 arcade racing series, 1 motorcycle racing series, and 1 shoot-'em-up. They're great, but that's not fair.

Camelot was so close, even if the 3DS sports games are/will be mediocre. Beyond The Beyond, why do you exist?! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camelot_Software_Planning Otherwise, that's an amazing streak.

I can't think of 1 with more than 8 games. "Iga's Konami team" works, if that counts.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
Ah, yes, Portable Ops was the one.

One of the worst games I played on my PSP. I've heard Peace Walker is really good, but I didn't give it a shot.

Boy what you talking bout, Portable Ops was amazing besides the whole pokemon capture soldiers and train but they can die forever like Fire Emblem aspect. Boss Battles were dope too.

MCN

Banned
Rockstar North thread? Rockstar North thread. Screw the haters, GTA4 might not have been as good as San Andreas, but it is by absolutely no means a bad game. Also, best DLC ever.

Nairume

Banned
What I learned from this topic: people have very short memories or they don't know the histories of their ostensible favorite developers.

I'm trying to think of a company that has a long streak and either innovates within 1 genre or does multiple genres. Polyphony Digital is great, but they did 1 arcade racing series, 1 motorcycle racing series, and 1 shoot-'em-up. They're great, but that's not fair.

Camelot was so close, even if the 3DS sports games are/will be mediocre. Beyond The Beyond, why do you exist?! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camelot_Software_Planning Otherwise, that's an amazing streak.

I can't think of 1 with more than 8 games. "Iga's Konami team" works, if that counts.

Beyond the Beyond is so close to being a good game, too, which makes it even more embarrassing.

GhaleonQ

AlphaDream made a few Hamtaro games. I have no idea if they're good or not lol.

There are also some Japan only games they've made. Yet again, no idea what their quality is.

Okay, thanks for the info. Of the 3, the jury might still be out on alpha dream, but it seems unlikely from what you mentioned.

The Hamtaro games are actually good-to-amazing, believe it or not. 1 even came here and got positive reviews.

PostPet is PostPet (and I think the Lovedelic people worked on it?), the card game is pretty good, and Tomato Adventure is a test-run for their masterworks. AlphaDream's a good answer, actually.

Paper Mario Sticker Star.

You people are the worst.

In any case, Soccer is bad. I don't like their Superscope games. Their mahjong games is mahjong, and I don't know how you feel about that.

Beyond the Beyond is so close to being a good game, too, which makes it even more embarrassing.

I know! The pieces are there; it's not like they forgot what to do. I actually enjoyed it my 1st time when I was in my "JRPGS HAVE CHANGED MY LIFE" phase, heard it was terrible, and then disliked it for the right reasons the 2nd time through.

Uncharted hae nothing going for it except for graphics. It wasn't a bad game in that it was broken or anything, it was just incredibly bland and retardedly easy. Oh you died? Just start three seconds before you died. You want to see awesome fights and acrobatics? Just keep button mashing. You are a winner!

Naughty dog is the Michael Bay of video games.

Valve is the only one who really stands out here, IMO. They have a long track record and have multiple IPs that span different genres and settings...and all of them have turned out above-average (and mostly great).

Atlus is a pretty good answer too.

There are others who haven't made a bad game, but most or all of their output is all within a single IP, or multiple IPs contained with a single genre. Bungie comes to mind. So does Rockstar (GTA IV was very disappointing and overrated, but it wasn't a bad game).

CD Projekt Red has gotten off to an excellent start, but I don't think they deserve a seat at the big boys table yet...they've only created two games. Let's see how The Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077 turn out first. Especially Cyberpunk 2077, since that is a different IP and isn't based off of some books.

Same goes for Rocksteady.

Thrakier

I feel like some of the best developers out there have lost their A-game this generation. I'm sure many people could argue about BioWare and Dragon Age II or Blizzard and Diablo 3, but luckily there are still devs out there who haven't made a single bad game. Of course, this differs for people. I didn't like Uncharted 3 as much as the second game for example, but that doesn't make Uncharted 3 a bad game.

What's your selection of devs that have never made a bad game?

Mine are probably:

CD Projekt RED
Naughty Dog
Platinum Games

You can get rid of Naughty Dog.

Jak_X_-_Combat_Racing_Coverart.png

For me:

Double Fine

I've thoroughly enjoyed every single game they have put out, even their Kinect stuff such as Once Upon a Monster. I played that with a cousin and she loved and I had a lot of fun with it as well.

Vlambeer

They've only been around for a few years but each game they put out, as well as their prototypes, I fall in love with.

Cels

CD Projekt ported Saint's Row 2 to PC, and that port was a piece of shit. They didn't make the base game of course but I'm just pointing it out to show that their record isn't untarnished.

It's going to be hard for these older, prolific studios to qualify (Naughty Dog made Rings of Power, Blizzard made Justice League Task Force, etc) because when you make a lot of games over a long period of time there's usually a turd or two in there.

Nev

Banned
I've read in this thread that inFamous and Uncharted 1 are bad games. Not just "not very good" games but BAD games.

I suppose the people who said that are either trolling or didn't even play them.

The demo of inFamous could be sold as a game for 3$ and it would still be one of the funniest games this generation because of its gameplay alone.

LOL at people trying to spin their arguments. "Bu-bu-but they were a garage developer" "nah, their pre-X console era doesn't count"
A bad game is a bad game is a bad game. If I'm a blonde child molester by the name of Turdy McTurd and suddenly change my name to Anus Von Tofünstein and dye my hair black, I'm still a fucking child molester.

You're killing me.

E92 M3

Fixed your list.

343i - Spartan Assault
Bungie - Halo Reach
Bethesda - Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Skyrim all bad.
Rockstar - GTA IV

Maybe those games aren't for you, but they are by no means "bad". Halo: Reach is one of my favorite campaigns from any Halo games. Multiplayer is questionable but the campaign is rock-solid. Loved it a ton.

I didn't care for GTA IV and it's big American titties (lol) but it wasn't a bad game. Finally, in terms of the Bethesda, I happen to love Skyrim a lot and the other titles are all very well done.

None of those are bad games.

Even Armageddon, while not great, is hardly a turd.

Saints Row 2 was definitely great and Red Faction 2 wasn't made by Volition, but seriously Armageddon was a complete turd. Especially coming off Red Faction Guerrilla. How they could completely abandon all the great things they did in that, and not build on that. Damn it. I'm really bitter about Armageddon. Haha.

This game is pretty good, it sadly runs out of ideas about half way through but it's not a "bad game" at all.

Pretty good? It's fucking awesome. What the hell. What the hell is your problem, Oblivion? Hehe.

Valve
Kojima Productions
Most of Nintendo's Studios
Most of Sony's Studios
Creative Assembly (even though Rome II is kind of a let down)
Crytek
Rockstar
Irrational (and Looking Glass Studios before them)
Oh and of course EA!

Kidding on that last one, obviously!

Top Bottom