• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 (NEW direct - feed screens up)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Sapiens said:
BLAH - why is he a pretty boy again? I was really liking the Benicio Del Toro look of Dante in the CG concept shots shown last year.

oh well

Why is who a pretty boy? It's not Dante. I don't think we've even seen Dante from the front in DMC4.

He no longer looks like badass Clancy Brown / The Kurgan:

dmc400wj6.jpg

kurgancu0.jpg

Devil May Cry @ graphical downgrade! :lol

xaosslug

Definitive unofficially official DMC4 get!

Thanks for the new thread C- Warrior, the other thread was giving me a headache to navigate and discern the real info from the "joke" stuff, and I wrote off when somebody said screen needed more "sparks". :lol

I know it was sarcasm, but still. :p

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
X26 said:
Nero =/= Vergil = thank god

Just like "Tony" wasn't Dante am I right? (DMC novel)

I refuse to believe it isn't Vergil until someone beats the game and proves it isn't.

The Take Out Bandit said:
He no longer looks like badass Clancy Brown / The Kurgan:

Prolly cause it takes place before DMC2 so he can't go from old looking to young looking.

jiggle

Green Biker Dude said:
Why? The whole point of the game is to fight. Exploration only comes from secret missions and blue orbs, but imo there is no need for big open areas just for that.

Because looking at these screens and the phone-scan shots earlier, it looks like you will be exploring that entire place. I'm just hoping for it to be done seamlessly, if that's infact the case.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Could the music on the website rock any more?

No. The answer is it couldn't. So awesome.

It reminds me of Chaos Legion

Some of the architecture in the game does too.

EDIT: coming to think of it, the Nomura comparisons remind me of Chaos Legion as well.
s1092216984.jpg

Drek

jj984jj said:
Looks good, don't like the Noruma inspiriation though.
Nomura influence? He doens't look like a tranny, nor does he have a thousand buckles and/or zippers all over him.

Its very remeniscent of BoFV, only instead of cell shaded characters its a gothic, more mature theme. I personally like it. Looking forward to this.

EGM92

Hot damn that looks nice, but I was really hoping for a Dante or Vergil main character< I'm fine with this new Nero guy, the story seems cool and the aspect of having Dante as the enemy is cool.

It's nowhere near the quality of the target video but it's getting there, if they can improve the graphics a bit more before the finished product I'd be more then happy.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
_dementia said:
It reminds me of Chaos Legion

Some of the architecture in the game does too.
I would be great if Hideyuki Fukasawa did the music for this one. Did he have a hand in the previous games? I don't think so, but I could be wrong. His work on Chaos Legion and Shin Onimusha was awesome, though, and would be a great choice here.

I like the idea for the new combat mechanics, sounds awesome. And I welcome the change of character, Rayden was one of the best things about MGS2. I'm very dissapointed in the graphics though, looks very mediocre.

Logan Cano said:
I like the idea for the new combat mechanics, sounds awesome. And I welcome the change of character, Rayden was one of the best things about MGS2. I'm very dissapointed in the graphics though, looks very mediocre.

Looking at how crisp those screens are, and thinking about what that will look like at 60fps (especially on an HDTV)... you have to be out of your mind to think it's mediocre. No offense of course. I just can't fathom how people are getting the idea that this looks bad.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
m0dus said:
If that's the case, lemme throw something in here. It's a new idea I've been tryin' for the headers for the 'official threads' . . . Thoughts welcome. :)

dmcie5.jpg

good job m0dus, I approve

Deathcraze said:
So is this just a wank thread or can we say we are underwhelmed with what we are seeing?

I don't have a problem with the character designs but overall it leaves me cold.

Underwhelmed is understandable -- considering it's Kobayashi, Itsuno, Capcom, PS3 exclusive, Devil May freakin' Cry. A lot of huge things going for this game. And I guess people were expecting Gears of War at 60 fps...

...but saying it's DMC2 in HD is what ruined the other thread.

Is the fact that the game is running at 60 fps, DMC4's saving grace? Maybe, simply for the fact that very few other games are doing it - so that in itself puts DMC4 at a different comparison level. Capcom seems to have about a year more on this game -- lets see what they can do. And we all obviously know how great DMC3's gameplay is, so no worries there.

***PS, I promised scans in the title, they aren't there I know. But duckroll did mention that websites like watch impress etc. get them up later on, so I guess I'll PM him later regarding that**** And unlike the other thread, I keep my threads updated on the first post/page.

brandonh83 said:
Looking at how crisp those screens are, and thinking about what that will look like at 60fps (especially on an HDTV)... you have to be out of your mind to think it's mediocre. No offense of course. I just can't fathom how people are getting the idea that this looks bad.

Low res textures, no apparent lightning and low polygon counts tend to give a game a mediocre look. 60 FPS isn't impressive when what it's rendering is pretty mundane. Awesome artstyle is what saves this game from a complete "meh", but technically it's so depressing.

One honest question, if a game is 60 fps, does it give it a free pass to look underwhelming?? DMC is a flagship PS3 title, and that a very close to launch game like HS looks so much better is very dissapointing. Where's the lightning??

Now, if this runs on Capcom's BS PC engine, that might explain a few things.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
m0dus said:
If that's the case, lemme throw something in here. It's a new idea I've been tryin' for the headers for the 'official threads' . . . Thoughts welcome. :)

dmcie5.jpg

Kickass job Modus.

This game, looks effing great. Screw the haters. Nero (Capcom...WTF) looks pretty damned good in that picture.

Oldschoolgamer said:
Kickass job Modus.

This game, looks effing great. Screw the haters. Nero (Capcom...WTF) looks pretty damned good in that picture.

I don't get it, anyone who doesn't think this looks great is a hater?? WTH?? I'm a big DMC fan, and have been waiting for this for a long time. In fact I'm surprised there are people who think this looks good. Konami's MGS team should go over to Capcom and teach them a thing or two about good graphics.

Unless of course, like I said, it's being made on Capcom's BS PC engine. The game just looks so lifeless.

Oldschoolgamer

Logan Cano said:
I don't get it, anyone who doesn't think this looks great is a hater?? WTH?? I'm a big DMC fan, and have been waiting for this for a long time. In fact I'm surprised there are people who think this looks good. Konami's MGS team should go over to Capcom and teach them a thing or two about good graphics.

Unless of course, like I said, it's being made on Capcom's BS PC engine. The game just looks so lifeless.

Dude. Calm down, I wasn't talking about you.:D Its all good. You stated your reasons on how you felt. Some people like to throw shit out in the wind(not really in this topic). We are all fans here.

And...maybe it looks lifeless, because we don't really have many pictures with life in it.:D j/k

Snaku

Banned
Logan Cano said:

Well you think all Wii games look like crap by default by virtue of the Wii's weaker specs alone. So it's not like anybody should sweat over your insanely retarded opinion anyway, relax. Nobody's gunning for little old you.

Oldschoolgamer

I wonder. Since it's obvious he has an ability that allows him to manifest demon powers, I wonder if Nero Angelo is his "devil trigger" of sorts. Maybe thats his voice, asking for more power. I mean, he is trying to break Sparda's seal.

I think you can define (in part the lifelessness) of the screens is because, well -- nothing is going on?

In part that's Capcom's fault, you should release screens that show when the game is being all it can be, so I don't blame you.

Also, by definition of Capcom's framework engine "DIDN'T they say that 50% of game development is universal on a PC -- and then afterso the game is optimized for the PS3?"

Looking at the screens, it's very Lost Planet-ish PC-ish, given the game has about a year left, that last year could very well be the most important year, when the game is optimized to be the exclusive title it is (for PS3.)

thekad

Banned
There's no way you could think those screens look good. I know it will look better in motion, but the graphics portrayed in those screenshots are VERY mediocre, IMO.

Oldschoolgamer

thekad said:
There's no way you could think those screens look good. I know it will look better in motion, but the graphics portrayed in those screenshots are VERY mediocre, IMO.

gi3dmc4small.jpg

I'm just not getting medicore from this shot. Modus was right anyways...

gconsole

m0dus said:
In this place, it is inevitable. People will judge unfinished product based on the first screenshots, regardless of how little even the BEST screenshots truly represent the final game, running in realtime 720p/1080i/1080p @ 60fps.

I've heard all the excuses, "What else are we supposed to do when all we have is screenshots?" This isn't inherently the issue.

The problem is when people take that first step, then go fanboy-****ing-nuts, and writeoff the game completely. Then they act all ****ing surprised when the finished product comes out and stammer "Where did THIS come from!?"

Open your eyes: posters that are harping on this game or screaming "DOWNGRADE TOTAL" need to reel that shit in just a bit. Capcom is one of the few Japanese developers giving everyone else a run for their money in the NextGen quality department, and DMC ain't no MegaMan Battle Network sequel. I am fully confident this game is going to rock everyone's ****ing socks off both visually and gameplay-wise.

If you are feeling disillusioned because it doesn't exactly match the concept work that was shown last year, then it's time to clamp down on your expectations, because they're starting to run wild. Even then, wait until the game is actually FINISHED. It will probably end up looking just as impressive, only with more than one character on the screen.

wrong thread, but you still rock!

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
C- Warrior said:
I think you can define (in part the lifelessness) of the screens is because, well -- nothing is going on?

In part that's Capcom's fault, you should release screens that show when the game is being all it can be, so I don't blame you.

capcom have released much livelier screens, and we've seen them in that digicam shot of famitsu. game informer have probably got them too, but i assume they're being saved for the magazine.

Top Bottom