• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 5 Will Be Roughly 15 Hours Long.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://gamingbolt.com/devil-may-cry-5-will-be-roughly-15-hours-long#nnn

In a Q&A session with the press in Seoul (via Gameshot), Devil May Cry 5 director Hideaki Itsuno was asked about how long the upcoming action title would be, and he confirmed that internal playtests in the development team suggest that the game would be roughly 15 hours long- which makes it longer than any other Devil May Cry game to day. Blessedly enough, that also doesn’t look like a figure that has been padded out and stretched to achieve a longer playtime.

Meanwhile, Itsuno also confirmed that there is a possibility that even more playable characters might be added if there is enough demand from players. Devil May Cry 5 features Dante, Nero, and newcomer V as the three playable protagonists- the possibility of having a fourth character added on as DLC is definitely an exciting one.

Belmonte

I hope there aren't so many repeated levels and boss fights as DMC4. Everytime I finish it, feels like I played 2 times at least.

In fact this is my main worry about the game. I'm very optimistic about everything else.

Roughly? for a hack and slash with separate missions? That's huge, if true. Bayonetta 2 was half that and already felt a long enough game.

xviper

perfect

2019 Q1 is gonna be amazing, no more boring open world games with repetitive fetch quests, just awesome linear games

Well developers usually exaggerate the length of there games, they're usually about 2/3rds what they tell you it will be, usually. That said, it's a game with 3 playable characters, so even in that estimate that's 5 hours per each character.

I hope there aren't so many repeated levels and boss fights as DMC4. Everytime I finish it, feels like I played 2 times at least.

In fact this is my main worry about the game. I'm very optimistic about everything else.
Well we do see V fighting the boss from the Nero demo, and the optional online co-op is because the 3 playable characters go through the same areas so 3 players can do these together, with the co-op not being available in the unique areas. So we're definitely going to have that DMC4 repeating return, and probably a decent amount too for co-op to work (which already sounds pretty tacked on), so it's definitely a concern. Hopefully they learned from 4's repeating, and aren't just going to use co-op as an excuse to repeat levels and bosses with little changes beyond the moveset of the character you're using yet again, we'll see.

Meanwhile, Itsuno also confirmed that there is a possibility that even more playable characters might be added if there is enough demand from players. Devil May Cry 5 features Dante, Nero, and newcomer V as the three playable protagonists- the possibility of having a fourth character added on as DLC is definitely an exciting one.
Given we already see Trish and Lady fighting beside you as NPC's and they were playable in DMC4SE, and this is Capcom, I already know where this is going.

Last edited:

ghairat

15 hours is really good.
Regarding the DLC characters, I think Trish, Lady, and Vergil are going to be the DLC characters

Helios

Meanwhile, Itsuno also confirmed that there is a possibility that even more playable characters might be added if there is enough demand from players
Crew Cut playable character when?
Rm132lI.png

perfect

2019 Q1 is gonna be amazing, no more boring open world games with repetitive fetch quests, just awesome linear games

Wait. There are more linear games in 2019? Nice. I’m glad. There are too many open world games and I actually like few of them, but need more linearity my gaming life.

Last edited:

Iamjash

Neo Member
So just the same as 4 then, I put many more hours into 3 though.

I missed out on the demo sadly, can people send demos on USB sticks? Kinda new to XB1

Belmonte

Well we do see V fighting the boss from the Nero demo, and the optional online co-op is because the 3 playable characters go through the same areas so 3 players can do these together, with the co-op not being available in the unique areas. So we're definitely going to have that DMC4 repeating return, and probably a decent amount too for co-op to work (which already sounds pretty tacked on), so it's definitely a concern. Hopefully they learned from 4's repeating, and aren't just going to use co-op as an excuse to repeat levels and bosses with little changes beyond the moveset of the character you're using yet again, we'll see.

Is too much wishful thinking to hope V, fighting the same boss as Nero, is because every character has its own campaign? :-/

Shifty

Interesting, roughly 50% longer than 3 and 4 going by the averages on HLTB. I was hoping it'd be suitably lengthy for the series' grand 10-year comeback.

Based on what we know of the cameo system some missions are going to be shared, but I'd hazard a guess at each playable character having their own unique sections outside of those crossover sequences and their own specific missions.
DMC4 was unfinished and it showed what with all the backtracking and clearly Nero-centric design of the mechanics and enemies. Dante's kit is wide enough to cover everything and be viable, but it still felt like he was kinda shoehorned in there in lieu of having a unique mission set on account of a rushed dev cycle.
I don't see them making that same mistake again, particularly after Itsuno's been putting his credibility on the line with all the "it'll exceed all your [massive 10-year hardcore fan] expectations! it's so good!" stuff, but we shall see I suppose. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't super excited for this party to get crazy.

And the comment on another character if fan interest is there. Sly. We know who you're talking about, Itsuno :messenger_smirking:

wwAd2rl.gif

I missed out on the demo sadly, can people send demos on USB sticks? Kinda new to XB1
If they've revoked the license for the demo then you probably won't be able to launch it even if you have the data on your console. Power of the cloud and all that.

I sure hope that 15 hours is not because of the loot box grind.
iu

Please do elaborate on how you made the jump from red orb microtransactions a-la DMC4SE to a full-on SFV service game loot box system.

Last edited:

blackjon24

Say what you will about the reboot but I'd rather have a finished game than what we got with 4 so hopefully it's 15 hours of original content!

Rooting for this game despite the micro transaction bs. I would love it for a game in the series to finally surpass 3

Neolombax

I'm just hoping there are reasons to replay the game. Action titles like this, the length isn't necessarily a concern. Bayonetta provided the exact reason I need to reply the game, new weapons.

Blood Borne

I’m a massive fan of Devil May Cry, with DMC1 being my favourite. I know DMC is a stylish game but I really hope they can work on the enemy AI, let’s have formidable foes rather punching bags.

Dooid

Neo Member
Let’s hope they don’t pull the same shit they did with DMC4 and have the second half of the game as a mirror of the first half. Still pissed about that 😡 grrrrr

Dante83

Banned
Hopefully none of those hours are wasted by backtracking with different characters(dmc4's biggest issue) and grinding.

Last edited:

Shifty

I'm just hoping there are reasons to replay the game. Action titles like this, the length isn't necessarily a concern. Bayonetta provided the exact reason I need to reply the game, new weapons.
I believe they've confirmed the usual compliment of difficulty modes and hinted at there being some new ones in there.

I'd love to see post-game weapon unlocks too though, getting the nunchucks in bayonetta was an awesome holy shit moment.

Not good for me at this price,and the fact that they will try to add a new playable character as a DLC smells a lot of BS,so I think I will wait for the complete edition down the line

Top Bottom