• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Kaztinka

I considered it, but there's no way I'd be able to play it anytime soon - I haven't even been able to start on Nier yet. Hopefully there's a better sale later in the year.

Dante
becoming his own father
would be the only way to one-up the skeeviness of Dante/Trish.

Yeah me too :(
I haven't even finished Nioh (I know, I'm a horrible person)

Dahbomb

LMAO @ Dante being Sparda...

It turns out that Dante has been stuck in a time loop forever like from that movie Predestination.

That is some real Shymalaman type fuckery right there.

Though in DMC1, a lot of people thought that the LDK model was in fact future Dante.

You guys are crazy with those story ideas lol

And yeah, I clearly don't want Nier's combat in DMC5. Combat wise, I know they are gonna give us something amazing, so I'm not worried about that. As Badwolf said, it's everything else that I want them to learn from games like Nier. Especially when it comes to having a strong campaign/story.

Anyway, speaking of Nier Automata, I love this part is Jim Sterling's review.
If I had my way, every budding game developer would play this game to the point of acquiring endings A, B, C, D, and E before acquiescing to its final and alarmingly direct request.

Few games are able to showcase the power of the medium like Nier: Automata.

If history forgets this game, then fuck history.
=====
It wouldn't be too hard to give Dante a legit threat with Vergil being back and everything but I very much agree, a serious/emotionally charged story would be a lot more preferred to the all out joke that was DMC4 (don't get me started on DmC). That was fine once but definitely not something that should become normal. At the very least they should pursue the balance of DMC3's story.

If they bring Vergil back into the story then imo it should be as a legit/serious rival to Dante. They also have the father/son/uncle arc to pursue if they throw Nero into the mix. Lady also has potential if her personality is closer to her DMC3 self.
I completely agree. I'm also really hoping for that father/uncle with Nero. I'd be so disappointed if they somehow dodged that.

OniBaka

That's sad stuff, to waste a rare gaming experience away like that.
Yeh I really wanted to play it before automata and watching the cut scenes from the OT didn't explain much so was confusing. Had to read the grimoire.

Anyway continuing with my dmc story it could have 2 endings where if you kill Eva it leads into the normal dmc timeline of 1, 2, 3 and 4
And vergil being boss fight since he loves his mum.

while if you spare her it could lead into a reboot but will make Dante forget everyone in the previous games.

Yeh I really wanted to play it before automata and watching the cut scenes from the OT didn't explain much so was confusing. Had to read the grimoire.

Anyway continuing with my dmc story it could have 2 endings where if you kill Eva it leads into the normal dmc timeline of 1, 2, 3 and 4
And vergil being boss fight since he loves his mum.

while if you spare her it could lead into a reboot but will make Dante forget everyone in the previous games.
You are going full on Yoko Taro on this game, aren't you? :p

Dahbomb

This is like the 10th Chinese DMC knock off I have seen in the past few years or so.

Damn those Chinese dudes are thirsty for a new DMC game (like us all).

ALERT: DMC4SE on sale on US PSN for only $7.50!!!!

Just as a random note, anytime I see somebody playing this game on twitch/live from playstation, they have automatic mode on. Are people just picking that mode on accident? It's like the equivalent of playing a Gran Turismo game that steers for you.

How does that mode even work? Wouldn't things be unplayable due to the random nature of the automation? And didn't Bayonetta also have an auto mode as well? In the 15 years of playing DMC games I have never touched it. It was in DMC1 and DMC3 as well.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Just as a random note, anytime I see somebody playing this game on twitch/live from playstation, they have automatic mode on. Are people just picking that mode on accident? It's like the equivalent of playing a Gran Turismo game that steers for you.

How does that mode even work? Wouldn't things be unplayable due to the random nature of the automation? And didn't Bayonetta also have an auto mode as well? In the 15 years of playing DMC games I have never touched it. It was in DMC1 and DMC3 as well.

It must be activated automatically somehow if you choose different modes. I'm actually not sure myself.

Maximillian did an LP of DMC4 on Automatic mode for like 6 hours before they realized they were playing on Automatic mode.

Dahbomb

The way the mode works is something I always wanted to break apart but never really felt compelled enough to do it because IMO no one should actually be playing the game on that mode but I also recognize that some people just want to mash through the game and not learn anything.

Automatic mode sort of works on a proximity system and it's not 100% random. You will mash Triangle and it will do random moves with Triangle like Hightime (rising/non rising versino), Stinger, aerial rave, combo strings etc. but it will be based on the distance/location of the enemy. In automatic mode something peculiar that happens is that if an enemy is slightly above you then Dante sometimes even does an instant air Helm Breaker so sometimes it even jump attacks for you.

For guns it sort of has changed over the years. If you hold down the [] button in DMC1 then Dante will fire guns in turbo style so he will just keep firing rapidly as you hold it down. This means that you were gated from using charged bullets. This worked with Devil Trigger moves too by the way, sometimes you would be mashing Triangle (well lit's actually Circle in the OG DMC1 game but in the HD collection it's Triangle) and suddenly Dante would do an instant air Vortex out of no where. And by the way you could do all of these special moves without even having to hold down Lock On.

In DMC3 it gave you access to instant CC triggers out of the blue without you needing to mash the required number of attacks at the style bar.

In DMC4 with Nero, they take it a step further by seemingly randomly giving you instant charges on Red Queen when you are just mashing Triangle so it's even using the functionality of L2 without you even pressing L2. It also auto charges the Blue Rose for you. For Nero it almost did everything for you.

DMC4 Dante had some additional quirks with automatic mode too. For Vergil, you could get automatic perfect release attacks from attacks that could get it like Judgment Cut.

As to why people pick Automatic mode, it's because they don't know any better. Most people don't come from a fighting game background so for them they see "Automatic" mode and think of it like Automatic vs Manual transmission in a car racing game or something and just pick it without thinking too much about it. They aren't actively trying to make the game dumbed down, it's just extremely poorly explained.

The whole automatic mode thing is why some people to this day still think DMC is a button masher. "Oh yeah I TOTALLY beat DMC by just mashing buttons on Easy Automatic mode...."

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I think Automatic Mode does its best to emulate God of War, where you get generally useful combos by mashing Attack, and certain features are automatically done, like Exceed and Charge Shots.

It's honestly not unlike MVC3's Automatic Mode, where just mashing the attack button just does a default LMH combo into Hyper if there's meter.

Dahbomb

MVC3 automatic mode is:

Mash L: You do a magic combo series.

Mash M: You get a default special (so if you mash M you get Hadoken with Ryu).

Mash H: You get the default hyper

It must be activated automatically somehow if you choose different modes. I'm actually not sure myself.

Maximillian did an LP of DMC4 on Automatic mode for like 6 hours before they realized they were playing on Automatic mode.

Oh yeah? Was he playing the SE version on the let's play or the vanilla version.

The way the mode works is something I always wanted to break apart but never really felt compelled enough to do it because IMO no one should actually be playing the game on that mode but I also recognize that some people just want to mash through the game and not learn anything.

Automatic mode sort of works on a proximity system and it's not 100% random. You will mash Triangle and it will do random moves with Triangle like Hightime (rising/non rising versino), Stinger, aerial rave, combo strings etc. but it will be based on the distance/location of the enemy. In automatic mode something peculiar that happens is that if an enemy is slightly above you then Dante sometimes even does an instant air Helm Breaker so sometimes it even jump attacks for you.

For guns it sort of has changed over the years. If you hold down the [] button in DMC1 then Dante will fire guns in turbo style so he will just keep firing rapidly as you hold it down. This means that you were gated from using charged bullets. This worked with Devil Trigger moves too by the way, sometimes you would be mashing Triangle (well lit's actually Circle in the OG DMC1 game but in the HD collection it's Triangle) and suddenly Dante would do an instant air Vortex out of no where. And by the way you could do all of these special moves without even having to hold down Lock On.

In DMC3 it gave you access to instant CC triggers out of the blue without you needing to mash the required number of attacks at the style bar.

In DMC4 with Nero, they take it a step further by seemingly randomly giving you instant charges on Red Queen when you are just mashing Triangle so it's even using the functionality of L2 without you even pressing L2. It also auto charges the Blue Rose for you. For Nero it almost did everything for you.

DMC4 Dante had some additional quirks with automatic mode too. For Vergil, you could get automatic perfect release attacks from attacks that could get it like Judgment Cut.

As to why people pick Automatic mode, it's because they don't know any better. Most people don't come from a fighting game background so for them they see "Automatic" mode and think of it like Automatic vs Manual transmission in a car racing game or something and just pick it without thinking too much about it. They aren't actively trying to make the game dumbed down, it's just extremely poorly explained.

The whole automatic mode thing is why some people to this day still think DMC is a button masher. "Oh yeah I TOTALLY beat DMC by just mashing buttons on Easy Automatic mode...."

Interesting. I'd imagine automatic mode would work relatively okay with Nero, but for Dante -- what if the game forces Dante into one of his many charged attacks? That'd be a nightmare.

The most RPG-element-heavy that DMC has been is probably DMC3, where you actively pick a class/equipment loadout and your class levels up with experience. It's also the most well-regarded game in the series.

I suppose there's also the thing DMC2 did where you get sword upgrades that just cause them to deal more damage - that isn't a good thing, IMO. Or the thing DmC did where some of the skill upgrades keep exactly the same animation and just deal increased damage. I'm not a fan of either of those ideas.

But I'd be down for DMC3's level of RPG elements, plus maybe a Bayonetta-like accessory system and DT modifiers.

Itsuno was testing the waters with that stamina bar in Dragon's Dogma. The plan was always to put it into DMC5 later on.

All joking aside, I actually liked how they used stamina in DD. I don't want Itsuno to be the one behind it, but I hope one day we actually see a Dragon's Dogma 2. Really enjoyed that game.

Hey guys, we talking about RPG system's for DMC5? That sounds cool.......

Stamina bar.
OOvKF3b.gif

I'm sorry if I offended any of you while I was being a stereotypical mentally ill person.

Edit: I'm only talking about myself. My brain is so messed up and I'm being watched 24/7 because of my past on YouTube. My privacy has been invaded completely and I'm so scared.

MBS

Banned
DMC has always had RPG elements, though. It just isn't stat-heavy.

Only low-level elements such as weapon upgrades. However, crafting weapons, mixing items, upgrading the entire character level, enemies with own levels, those kinds of elements i don't want in.

BadWolf

Only low-level elements such as weapon upgrades. However, crafting weapons, mixing items, upgrading the entire character level, enemies with own levels, those kinds of elements i don't want in.

I wish Dragon's Dogma at least had a mode which functioned like this.

I never liked it how if you weren't at a certain level threshold then you would be doing pretty much zero damage to an enemy of a higher level.

Oh for sure. (mixing items to create potions and stuff was okay in Bayonetta, though, if only because these games are designed around learning not to need items anyway)

Sesha

Ola chicas and chicos. We're less than 70 days away from E3 and the day of reckoning.

If DMC5 is announced at E3, I am gonna try all I can to be at TGS this year. Anyone else have the same thought? Cuz if so I'm officially planting the seeds of a DMC-GAF meetup

OniBaka

That time of the year again huh where people suggest stamina bar as a joke. Well if it doesn't become a joke I blame everyone here.

Can you imagine a donguri combo vid where his doing good usual air combos and stopping mid way due to stamina?

Sesha

I'm okay with a stamina bar if it is unlimited by default and nothing is done to accommodate it from a design perspective. :p

MBS

Banned
Some sources close to Multiplayer.it, who prefer to remain anonymous, confirmed that the next Devil May Cry episode is currently in development and have provided us with some anticipation.

According to reports in our possession, the team that is taking care of is Japanese and intends to bring Dante to basics, handing back the classic look of the old chapters. The cast will be present again Virgil and Trish, while there are no indications of a possible return of Nero. Moreover, the approach does not seem to concern only the characters but also the play structure, which will present traditional mechanical and classical division into levels.

https://translate.google.gr/transla...ry-5-e-in-sviluppo-si-torna-alle-origini.html

Multiplayer.it is pretty respectable, so i don't have any reason not to believe those claims. Great, focus on traditional mechanics, get rid of Nero who nobody wanted and focus on Dante-Trish-Vergil. Instant success.

TreIII

https://translate.google.gr/transla...ry-5-e-in-sviluppo-si-torna-alle-origini.html

Multiplayer.it is pretty respectable, so i don't have any reason not to believe those claims. Great, focus on traditional mechanics, get rid of Nero who nobody wanted and focus on Dante-Trish-Vergil. Instant success.

Well, the problem is that Nero actually does have fans. But his existence is twofold: he was pretty much an eloquent answer to DMC needing a means to be more "accessible" and grant immediate feedback in the form of the Devil Bringer (and its variety of context-sensitive animations), while still having plenty of depth of his own.

Kid just needed more weapons in order to really shine.

Either way, consider me interested. Though, not hearing about Lady is even more concerning, in my opinion.

Top Bottom