• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Pappasman

2dd.jpg

I'll just post this again in case people missed it...
top_neogaff.png

NeoGaf's DMC4:SE True Style Tournament submissions have started
FULL DETAILS ABOUT TOURNAMENT
QUOTE TO REVEAL THE SUBMISSION LINK FOR VIDEOS, It's a google docs form

[Entry format]
  • 3 categories for each of the new characters: Vergil, Lady, Trish (can enter all categories, win only 1).
  • 30 seconds entry max
  • Son of Sparda Difficulty or above (No LDK).
  • No easy automatic mode.
  • No Super Costumes.
  • All levels of Bloody Palace can be used.
  • No Piecing together multiple segments(clean cut).
[Submitting Entries]
  • Lady and Trish entries Due 7th of July 12:01 am.
  • Vergil entries due 14th of July 12:01 am.
  • Multiple entries can be submitted (if you plan this number them please), but you must clarify which entry is picked.
  • Entries will be youtube uploaded videos from any system, quote this post to get the google submission form...
Tournament will be run by GAF user direct_quote.

Awesome. But not allowed to use BP?

Dahbomb

Awesome. But not allowed to use BP?

All levels of Bloody Palace can be used.

Is Vergil doing a Judgment Cut part of a certain combo? I think he had a distinct voice clip and did it instantly when I wasn't charging, so I assume it's some kind Motivation-specific combo.
It's not related to Concentration/Motivation mechanic, it's a mechanic specific to Yamato. Every single sword attack of Yamato can be just framed at the end into an instant just frame Judgment Cut and if you hold and release with the right timing. The just frame version comes out much faster and has far less recovery as well plus it hits more and does more damage.

IbukiLordSA

I keep seeing people talking about these charges for Lady, how to you do them? I have just started playing with her and cannot charge anything yet. Are these all skills that need to be purchased?

Bl@de

This is not really DMC4 related but I will ask it here (all GAF DMC fans will be here anyways^^). The only DMC I played was the first on PS2 and it was one of my favourite action games until this week. Bayonetta 2 kicked Dante of the throne. That game was so good.

Now I want more character action. There are two games that interest me:
- DMC HD Collection (PS3)
- DMC4: SE (PS4)

The DMC HD Collection is on sale right now (EU PSN). It would be a chance to replay 1 after over 10 years and give me DMC2 and 3. But I don't know if the HD Collection is good. 720p or 1080p? Constant 60fps? Something updated? And how are DMC2 and DMC3? Worth it or bad sequels?

DMC4: SE looks awesome but is not on sale and maybe I don't get the story (didn't play 2 and 3). I think the best option here would be to wait until fall/winter for a nice sale.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Don't replay 1, go straight to 3SE from the HD collection and then to 4SE.

Veelk

Banned
Do replay 1. Just understand that as the progenitor of 3D action games, it's going to be limited in certain ways. However, for all that, it's still a quality game, with good combat and the best environment the DMC series has to offer (Sorry, DmC).

Then play 3. Very deep action game mechanics, coupled with the best story in the character action genre (by which I mean it's competently told with some nuance to the characters, but it's not going to blow your mind or anything).

Then come to play 4SE, which is where the party's at now.

Skip 2. Pretend it doesn't exist.

Play DmC: Definitive edition too if you still have spare time after that and want to.

MrFatCat

Banned
This is not really DMC4 related but I will ask it here (all GAF DMC fans will be here anyways^^). The only DMC I played was the first on PS2 and it was one of my favourite action games until this week. Bayonetta 2 kicked Dante of the throne. That game was so good.

Now I want more character action. There are two games that interest me:
- DMC HD Collection (PS3)
- DMC4: SE (PS4)

The DMC HD Collection is on sale right now (EU PSN). It would be a chance to replay 1 after over 10 years and give me DMC2 and 3. But I don't know if the HD Collection is good. 720p or 1080p? Constant 60fps? Something updated? And how are DMC2 and DMC3? Worth it or bad sequels?

DMC4: SE looks awesome but is not on sale and maybe I don't get the story (didn't play 2 and 3). I think the best option here would be to wait until fall/winter for a nice sale.

HD Collection is 720p/60fps with no dips. DMC3 is an excellent game and will give you more backstory about Vergil & Lady. DMC2 is the greatest sin mankind has ever created.

So there, you should play DMC3 first, then DMC1 and DMC4:SE when its on sale, skip the rest. Just remember to buy it so the rest of the world could have a chance at DMC5, our fate is in your hand, all of y'all hand...and wallets. Cheers

Bl@de

Don't replay 1, go straight to 3SE from the HD collection and then to 4SE.

As I mentioned ... 1 was my favourite character action game until last week. And you tell me not to replay it? You're opinion is invalid to me. Be gone.
don't be sad. I just hate you^^

And yeah I played DmC. It was okay but it never felt like Devil May Cry to me. I think I will get the HD Collection and then replay 1. Start 2 and if it sucks ass I skip it and go to 3. 12€ is a good price if it's a solid 720p/60fps (and widescreen like it looks from screenshots).

Clawww

Vergil is just straight up DBZ

Itsuno is a fuckin madman. it's crazy to think that what drew me to DMC1 way back in the day and blew my mind was something as simple and humble as High Time into a gun juggle, and now Vergil has pushed the envelope again on the level of awesome shit you can do. DMC5 is going to be another step forward into even crazier and more stylish shit

Vergil is just straight up DBZ

Itsuno is a fuckin madman. it's crazy to think that what drew me to DMC1 way back in the day and blew my mind was something as simple and humble as High Time into a gun juggle, and now Vergil has pushed the envelope again on the level of awesome shit you can do. DMC5 is going to be another step forward into even crazier and more stylish shit

DMC5 needs to have Dante be just as crazy as Vergil, especially an arena wide super finishing move.

DMC0 should have Sparda be all the characters, just all the characters' mechanics into one guy.

Fair point. Wish we got something like that in SE. Fighting two Credos or Credo and Dante.

Fight all 5 Dagons as Dante.

KingBroly

Banned
Lady is SUPER WEIRD to play as. I have no clue as how to get good style rankings. I've gotten a SSS once, everything else is like B-D.

Z3M0G

I don't remember DMC4 being that big of a deal when it first came out... even had issues, repetitive and such. Why is it such a big deal now?

BadWolf

Almost finished Bloody Palace with Lady last night, that fucker Dante was almost dead and did Pandora's Omen from full screen away and took her out.

And it seems that Lady's grapple doesn't count as a grab. I did it while he was in Royal Guard, like I do with Nero, and he Royal Released the fuck out of it.

I don't remember DMC4 being that big of a deal when it first came out... even had issues, repetitive and such. Why is it such a big deal now?

DMC4 was always a big deal to those who appreciated deep combat.

Lady is SUPER WEIRD to play as. I have no clue as how to get good style rankings. I've gotten a SSS once, everything else is like B-D.

It's very easy to get high style with her thanks to the charge shots, since they do huge damage and often hit multiple enemies.

Don't play her like a DMC character, think more in terms of a TPS character from RE6 or something. She has a different style of play from the others.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

A few reasons.

it's been 7 years since we've gotten a real DMC. People are starved for more. And despite the issues with pacing, puzzles, and antagonists, DMC4 is a diamond in the rough. It features combat that has arguably still not been topped to this day, and the addition of three characters to play is the equivalent of three entirely new combat systems to explore.

For many of us DMC4 isn't the best DMC overall, but its the latest entry, and the latest interest Capcom has shown in the series.

A few reasons.

it's been 7 years since we've gotten a real DMC. People are starved for more. And despite the issues with pacing, puzzles, and antagonists, DMC4 is a diamond in the rough. It features combat that has arguably still not been topped to this day, and the addition of three characters to play is the equivalent of three entirely new combat systems to explore.

For many of us DMC4 isn't the best DMC overall, but its the latest entry, and the latest interest Capcom has shown in the series.
Well now it has the best version of Vergil so that's all that matters. Still think they could have easily removed dumb elements from the campaign though... Then the back tracking wouldn't be as tedious.

This version of Vergil most likely might be my favorite action game character to play of all time...

First time playing DMC4. What's automatic? I've played the first 20 minutes and I think Nero is pretty slow should I turn on turbo? (whatever that is)

BadWolf

First time playing DMC4. What's automatic? I've played the first 20 minutes and I think Nero is pretty slow should I turn on turbo? (whatever that is)

Turbo makes the game 20% faster.

And easy automatic is like training wheels, the game does a whole bunch of stuff for you so you can mash away. Better to play without it.

Characters open up when you unlock more moves, they all feel limited at first.

Turbo makes the game 20% faster.

And easy automatic is like training wheels, the game does a whole bunch of stuff for you so you can mash away. Better to play without it.

Characters upon up when you unlock more moves, they all feel limited at first.

Ahhh thanks, does the turbo really make a difference? I swear the default setting makes Nero run slow as shit lol especially when I just played Bayonetta 2

BadWolf

Hurting for a boss rush so bad right now.

Just want to explore the bosses with different characters but really don't feel like playing the missions to do so :/

f@luS

More than a member.
I started with Vergil but I want to do a real story to been long time. There is no cutscene at all with Vergil it makes no sense !

I played them all but I never dig much into story

Dmc 3 is the first one / Virgil die / come back in dmc 1 as nelo Angelo / then it's dmc 4 which Nero should be his son / then dmc 2. Am I correct ?

BadWolf

Just curious - How many people here have actually beaten DMC4's Bloody Palace?

Beat it with Nero on console.

Almost did it yesterday with Lady until Dante screwed me over at the final stretch with a dick move. Will probably finish it today after work, it's so easy with her.

Sephzilla

Beat it with Nero on console.

Almost did it yesterday with Lady until Dante screwed me over at the final stretch with a dick move. Will probably finish it today after work, it's so easy with her.

maybe i suck at this game more than i thought. i seem to get stuck in the 60s

God I feel slow with Nero, do you get a dash? I consider myself good at this games but I was getting my ass kicked by the damn first boss(fire dude), as I didn't have many mobility options, but he was dropping health stuff so whatever, any tips aside of ROLL like it's Dark Souls?

I was spoiled by DMC3:SE as I just went trickster all day and loved it.

BadWolf

maybe i suck at this game more than i thought. i seem to get stuck in the 60s

It's not so bad, just have to watch out for stuff that gives you trouble and don't forget to use the camera trick (since enemies of screen don't really attack you) when things get too hot.

God I feel slow with Nero, do you get a dash? I consider myself good at this games but I was getting my ass kicked by the damn first boss(fire dude), as I didn't have many mobility options, any tips aside of ROLL like it's Dark Souls?

Regular jump, it has a lot of invincibility frames on the way up and you can dodge pretty much anything in the game with it. It's my main evasion tool in general with the characters.

You can buy Speed to move faster during traversal but Nero doesn't really need that in battle since he brings the fight to himself via Devil Bringer, use it to bring the enemy to you or boost yourself towards them if they are a heavy type.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
God I feel slow with Nero, do you get a dash? I consider myself good at this games but I was getting my ass kicked by the damn first boss(fire dude), as I didn't have many mobility options, but he was dropping health stuff so whatever, any tips aside of ROLL like it's Dark Souls?

Nero's mobility is centered around his devil bringer. Use Snatch to close distance or pull close. Air hike is also useful for evasion. Caliber is good for horizontal air movement. Streak is good on the ground.

if you're looking for other general evasion moves, the regular jump has invincibility frames at the beginning, so you can time your jumps through attacks. You can also use the beginning part of Shuffle to evade, or DT activation once you have it.

in terms of general movement speed, buy Speed right away.

Frantic

I beat BP with Nero and Dante back in the day. I even recently beat Bloody Palace with Dante as practice in anticipation of DMC4:SE... my Vergil is pretty ass right now, though - I keep dying at level 30, lol.

nded

Purchase the Speed upgrade in the store. You also move a lot more slowly when locked on, Berial's AoE and fire pillar attacks are meant to teach you to disengage lock-on and evade when necessary.

Just curious - How many people here have actually beaten DMC4's Bloody Palace?

Beat it with Nero.

Not really having as much time nowadays to play games, which sucks. Game's been released since Tuesday and I'm only at mission 8 with Vergil. It's going to take me forever to go through this =/

So, my friend likes DMC2. It was the first one he played and he enjoyed it then, but admits the other games are pretty much just better (save for DMC1, which is arguably very dated). And his thought was "Could Lucia come out for DMC4SE as DLC?"

So my question is that would anyone be against that? I'd be okay with another playable character. Arguably very unique, though I think another character would have to be released in order for it to work. Dunno if she could have a story all to herself.
And boom, you have the source for another Vergil/Dante conflict in DMC5. Vergil thinks Nero is an abomination that must be destroyed, Dante defends him saying Nero has proven himself.

Regarding Nero's origins - just say Sanctus and the others didn't know. Agnus made Nero as a result of fucking around with Vergil's cells and Yamato, but didn't have the heart to kill the result of his experiment and just let him go
It's not hard to imagine Vergil hearing about Fortuna, going there to find out more about it, and then basically giving the Order a foundation for the entire project. Being called "The Order of the Sword" and restricting themselves to sword-only combat might be based off of Vergil's style of fighting. Then Sanctus goes off the rails and tries to make a real-life Savior as a power play. I mean, now Vergil's "dead" at this point.

Plus, Yamato is necessary for ALL of their plans. The activation of the Savior and opening to Hell Gates. It was even utilized in the experiments that lead to their demonic powers. I believe it's mentioned in the profile for Bianco/Alto Angelos or the art book that a piece of of Nelo Angelo was used to create them.

The biggest question is why Vergil would ever bother. Attempting to create an heir to have an ally? He has a thing for power, so maybe it's to test how powerful his bloodline is? If it's diluted as much as it is with Nero, then how powerful can Nero get? And then the Order just went off the rails after that.

naw the doppelganger is the worst, just hit Windows over and over again to be able to damage the boss at all. So tedious and dumb.

Oh and savior too, fuck that dumb boss, no fun at all.
Doppelganger was especially bad if you used Beowulf, since that deals Light-based damage. Kinda wish elemental alignments were a thing again.
DMC4SE could've shipped with just Bloody Palace mode and no campaign yet still would've been a godly action game.
Frreal tho

Dahbomb

I wouldn't be against Lucia in DMC4 at all or in any future DMC game. Her design was cool, she just happened to be a bit bland as a character but it was a bland game anyway (hell even Dante was bland in that game).

Also would bring diversity to the cast of DMC as it wouldn't all be a bunch of white people.

I wouldn't be against Lucia in DMC4 at all or in any future DMC game. Her design was cool, she just happened to be a bit bland as a character but it was a bland game anyway (hell even Dante was bland in that game).

Also would bring diversity to the cast of DMC as it wouldn't all be a bunch of white people.

Yeah, three ladies and three dudes being playable would be cool in my book.

That's how I feel, though I would love another character with her. Still, that's far too much to ask for at this juncture.

Hell, even if they were only playable for Bloody Palace...

Top Bottom