• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Sesha

Definitely yes regarding acquiring them from bosses.

As for elemental types... my feelings are mixed. I *love* the colorful presentation in DMC3 and I think the elemental aspects are really excellent from a presentation point of view - it went a long way toward giving each weapon tons of personality.

I'm not a huge fan of weapons dealing elemental damage/enemies having elemental weaknesses, though. I know that goes back to DMC1, but I'd really prefer to see weapons deal consistent damage - there shouldn't be a feeling that there's a "right" weapon to equip to defeat a given enemy (even if, for reasons having more to do with movesets and attack speed than just the elemental weakness side of things, Cerberus is really great against A&R and A&R is quite good against Cerberus).

They don't need to keep the elemental damage, though. They could keep the stat boost that each weapon granted in DT, and maybe give each of the weapon a move that causes an elemental effect on an enemy, like an ice weapon having a move that freezes the enemy in a block of ice. It could open up for a Wild Stomp-type crazy combo that only effects an enemy in that situation.

There's way more variety and far more feedback in with DMC4 Lady's moveset:
yg1MnW.gif

And this is for her guns across the board. It's definitely an improvement over even DMC3. You feel the game shudder with max damage Ground Zeroes.

Yeah, the audio and visual feedback to Lady's guns are very satisfying.

Aside from Force Edge/Alastor in 1, the swords along with E&I and the Shotgun have remained mostly the same. Having two different gauntlet weapons play exactly the same is what I find lame. I just don't want another new one that has the same moves. I'd rather they bring back Ifrit/Beo/Gilgamesh and have Dante start out with it.

...this kind of gives me an idea that might or might not work well in DMC5.

What if - at least for recurring weapon types with a strong history in the series - you could, to a limited extent, actually swap out specific moves/combos? I'm thinking of being able to choose, for example, whether Lockon+Forward+Attack with the gauntlet equipped and while grounded would give you Kick13 or Straight (or even Lunar Phase). Hell, maybe even one of the Swordmaster forward+style button moves. It'd be cool if you could actually pick from some of the several pretty different Force Edge/Alastor/Rebellion combos (and pause combos) Dante has had from game to game, too.

At the very least, for already-proven moves, it'd be pretty cool and I can't think of a genuine disadvantage to the added flexibility. It'd be one further piece of DMC3-style loadout customization without sacrificing finely-tuned balance if it were pulled off correctly, and it'd go further toward helping players customize the Dante that is most comfortable for them to play with.
They don't need to keep the elemental damage, though. They could keep the stat boost that each weapon granted in DT, and maybe give each of the weapon a move that causes an elemental effect on an enemy, like an ice weapon having a move that freezes the enemy in a block of ice. It could open up for a Wild Stomp-type crazy combo that only effects an enemy in that situation.
I'm a fan of the different DT boosts for different weapons, yeah.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I, for one, fucking love elemental weapons. It doesn't have to be a significant bonus. In DMC3, you never felt like you HAD to use an elemental weakness to your advantage. It was just a cool effect and a nice touch.

DMC3 was one of the first games to feature elemental damage with visual indicators (ice crystals, enemies catching on fire, bright light flashes) rather than flat out just telling you weaknesses or showing you damage numbers. It was more subtle and felt good.

BadWolf

What if - at least for recurring weapon types with a strong history in the series - you could, to a limited extent, actually swap out specific moves/combos? I'm thinking of being able to choose, for example, whether Lockon+Forward+Attack with the gauntlet equipped and while grounded would give you Kick13 or Straight (or even Lunar Phase). Hell, maybe even one of the Swordmaster forward+style button moves. It'd be cool if you could actually pick from some of the several pretty different Force Edge/Alastor/Rebellion combos (and pause combos) Dante has had from game to game, too.

At the very least, for already-proven moves, it'd be pretty cool and I can't think of a genuine disadvantage to the added flexibility. It'd be one further piece of DMC3-style loadout customization without sacrificing finely-tuned balance if it were pulled off correctly, and it'd go further toward helping players customize the Dante that is most comfortable for them to play with.
I'm a fan of the different DT boosts for different weapons, yeah.

God Hand did that and it worked extremely well.

Dahbomb

Would be a cool way to add customizability to your character but I think Itsuno wants as much tools available to the character as possible at one time.

I don't think the Godhand-esque move customization is going to be making into DMC anytime soon.

Sesha

I've had the same idea. Honestly I'm all for it, DMC should be all about combat freedom, though it could prove very hard to implement. Though only for command moves. The neutral input combos I'm not in favor of customizing, because it would make it that much harder to implement.

Yeah I get the feeling that the DMC3 days of picking your character's loadout are done with for this series.

At some point you have to choose loadout, though.

Would be a cool way to add customizability to your character but I think Itsuno wants as much tools available to the character as possible at one time.

I don't think the Godhand-esque move customization is going to be making into DMC anytime soon.

Yeah I get the feeling that the DMC3 days of picking your character's loadout are done with for this series. Variety is likely going to come from different playable character's rather than altering the abilities of one character.

Dahbomb

whynotboth.gif
It's not possible. You can either have all of your equipment and abilities be available to you at once or you need to go to a menu to switch out some stuff.

Basically it's either going to be like DMC3 or DMC4 only Styles will be available on the character as opposed to needing to be in one style only at one time.

Seyavesh

There's way more variety and far more feedback in with DMC4 Lady's moveset:And this is for her guns across the board. It's definitely an improvement over even DMC3.

can't argue with that, but man something about lady's guns still don't have the same kicker as dante's guns in dmc3 to me. it might be the more zoomed out camera or the muzzle flashes being smaller than dante's huge ridiculous ones

actually i'm like 90% certain it's that

edit:
look at this like dang i never even noticed the dust being kicked up from the charged shots before
AWB4gz1.gif

It's not possible. You can either have all of your equipment and abilities be available to you at once or you need to go to a menu to switch out some stuff.

Basically it's either going to be like DMC3 or DMC4 only Styles will be available on the character as opposed to needing to be in one style only at one time.

My strong preference would be for each character feeling fundamentally different on a systems level (Max/EX-act and revving and Devil Bringer for Nero, style switching for Dante, Concentration (Motivation is canon imo) for Vergil, almost-all-ranged and super high mobility focus for Lady, traps with Trish.

That doesn't preclude those characters also having really big arsenals where you pick a few weapons. But yeah, I think the days of equipping a specific Style between chapters/statues are definitely over. Weapons, though? I sure as fuck hope we'll go back to having as many Devil Arms as DMC3SE.

Fuck it, let's just talk about what weapons we want.

I don't care if I'm LTTP, I've been waiting for this! All of them uses D-pad to switch. I'm thinking of including Elemental weapons so they can also be used as Zelda/Castlevania style "keys" to open areas.

Dante
4 Devil Arms - Rebellion, Beowulf (light), Polearm Type (electric/wind?) , crazy unique type (electric/wind?)
4 Firearms - Ebony&Ivory, Shotgun, Nightmare type (dark), Pandora type or maybe just a rocket launcher (fire)

Nero
3 Mechanical Weapons - Red Queen (fire), Drill Lance (electric), Guitar/hammer type (wind)
1 Devil Arm - Yamato
1 Fire Arm - Blue Rose (fire)

Trish
2 Devil Arms - Sparda (electric), Ifrit (fire)
2 Fire Arms - Luce & Ombra (electric), Shotgun (fire)

Lady
4 Fire Arms - Kalina Ann (fire), submachine guns, shotgun, Railgun (electric)

any pointers to finishing BP with lady and trish?

With Nero and Vergil its pretty easy... Dante is doable but i have not strat for lady and trish..

edit:
look at this like dang i never even noticed the dust being kicked up from the charged shots before
AWB4gz1.gif
My eye is more caught by the overall crazy visual distortions on the edges of the screen. Like, hell of a way to convey power when firing those shots.

The whole audio visual feedback discussion is such a good reminder of why I enjoy playing the new characters in DMC4SE more than Nero or Dante. Between Lady's Ground Zero, Vergil's Rapid Slash in DT, even Trish's charged electric moves during Round Trip, they all just light up the pleasure centers in my brain like crazy.

I, for one, fucking love elemental weapons. It doesn't have to be a significant bonus. In DMC3, you never felt like you HAD to use an elemental weakness to your advantage. It was just a cool effect and a nice touch.

DMC3 was one of the first games to feature elemental damage with visual indicators (ice crystals, enemies catching on fire, bright light flashes) rather than flat out just telling you weaknesses or showing you damage numbers. It was more subtle and felt good.

Oh man I miss the nunchuck things and the guitar.

So, anyone have any tips on the Judgement Cut loops? I still quite can't understand what it is I'm looking for or the inputs despite TheKoreanDrifters video being a tutorial. Any tips?

Seyavesh

Oh man I miss the nunchuck things and the guitar.

So, anyone have any tips on the Judgement Cut loops? I still quite can't understand what it is I'm looking for or the inputs despite TheKoreanDrifters video being a tutorial. Any tips?

you just wanna hit melee->style (trick) real fast during the sheathing-part of his judgement cut animation or something close to that anyhow.. the timing is both really precise and really bizarre as it doesn't quite 100% match up to the animation you're looking at in terms of successful chains

you can do it off the ground judgment cut but doing the weird floating one off the release->trick thing that gets crazy inertia lets you practice on the air timing immediately which is more relevant to getting them to chain

i keep getting it and losing it, it's really annoying. i kinda press it sliiightly after after the sheath flashes for his judgement cut and he starts putting it back in but it's still in a weird ass ballpark

Watching E3 stream (and reading that Gamespot interview) again, it seems Itsuno really wants to know our feedback. So I've been thinking, while talking on Gaf about things that we want to see in next game is fun but shouldn't we try to be a little more vocal about it.

I mean Itsuno is on twitter. He has said before that while he might not answer lots of tweets but he sure reads them, so.... wouldn't be better if we try to give our feedback directly to him, instead of hoping that someone from Capcom might see our suggestions here and he/she might pass them through to DMC team?

gunbo13

I have proper settings on my PS4 and use the same display for my PC. So it's not the LCD. I use a low lag Sharp for gaming, game mode tweaked to best performance, etc... I spent about 6 months on and off tweaking my display. All my DMC3 combo videos were done on the same PC setup I am using today.

PS4 version looks very bad compared to the PC version. I'm also rendering the PC version at 4K so there's that. It's fine when viewed as a console game but the difference between the two versions is night & day.

EDIT:
I'll look into getting some comparison screenshots.

I'm only a bit miffed by the lack of any higher AA. Aside from that I don't have a single problem with the PS4 version. I was just hoping it would look as sharp as DMC4 on my PC with 16xAA or however high it went.
The added motion blur I don't mind. Some atmospheric effects I would rather have removed but whatever.

Dahbomb

Watching E3 stream (and reading that Gamespot interview) again, it seems Itsuno really wants to know our feedback. So I've been thinking, while talking on Gaf about things that we want to see in next game is fun but shouldn't we try to be a little more vocal about it.

I mean Itsuno is on twitter. He has said before that while he might not answer lots of tweets but he sure reads them, so.... wouldn't be better if we try to give our feedback directly to him, instead of hoping that someone from Capcom might see our suggestions here and he/she might pass them through to DMC team?
Hard to give feedback on a game that isn't officially announced yet. And we don't even know which platform is the best for giving feedback.

Twitter isn't appropriate for these kind of things because of the word limit. I guess we might prepare a word document or something and then link via Twitter.

Clawww

i mean, they already did that in dmc3 though
the audio feedback was so good cuz the same sfx boomed/cracked instead of being muted like in dmc4
e5wljcp.gif

ZDGOIVE.gif

it's actually my biggest issue with dmc4 dante- his guns have such poor feedback in comparison, it's absolutely bizarre

yeah the shotty was the real fucking deal in DMC3, goddamn

I have proper settings on my PS4 and use the same display for my PC. So it's not the LCD. I use a low lag Sharp for gaming, game mode tweaked to best performance, etc... I spent about 6 months on and off tweaking my display. All my DMC3 combo videos were done on the same PC setup I am using today.

PS4 version looks very bad compared to the PC version. I'm also rendering the PC version at 4K so there's that. It's fine when viewed as a console game but the difference between the two versions is night & day.

EDIT:
I'll look into getting some comparison screenshots.

On your ps4, what is your RGB range set at if you don't mind me asking. Also, game modes are notorious for fucking up calibrations, often sharpness and brightness is set way too high. But yes I'm curious to see the pc version at its best.

Astral

I don't know how you can say that with max damage ground zero and lvl 3 charge shot existing. They're a very important part of her arsenal.

Are they? Does charging it increase the power of Ground Zero as well? Because the regular shots didn't seem too strong.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Edit: Watch the comparison here

https://youtu.be/T-3DZLyq0uo

Are they? Does charging it increase the power of Ground Zero as well? Because the regular shots didn't seem too strong.

Level 3 charge shots with the shotgun are so powerful they stagger bosses. I didn't use it much until late game, but it's absolutely devastating.

Max damage ground zeroes is performed by mashing circle during gunstinger. You have to mash really really hard on Turbo to get it, but you're rewarded with a giant screen filling flash, hit stop stutter, a suction sound, and a Corona effect. As well as huge area of effect damage. The gif at the top of the page shows max damage ground zero.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Nervous to see those NPD sales numbers for DMC4:SE. Hope capcom doesn't darkstalkers DMC 5..

We won't see NPD sales for DMC4SE since it's digital only. Unless Capcom releases hard numbers, we can only speculate based on the top selling lists put out by Sony or Microsoft.

I really loved the freezing weapons in Bayonetta.

Son Of D

Late to the weapons talk but I have to agree with the suggestions of the billiards cue/balls so much. Also like Sesha posted, looking at the Warriors/Musou games for weapon ideas could work since they can have some crazy weapon concepts that might fit in to DMC's world.

I shrugged off no DMC5 at E3 pretty well but I'll be pretty legit shook if we don't get something at TGS

same here. I expect something as small as a verbal confirmation from itsuno to be present at TGS... But what if Capcom may push that to PS experience if there is one this year?

A pool cue fused with the spirit of a demon would be the most Dante thing possible

AGREED
I can already picture movesets for it

Mizerman

A demonic pool cue could work for Dante.

Vergil could use something like a spear or a bow to further emphasize his "true warrior" mindset. Not just any spear or bow, mind you.

Top Bottom