• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

From the OP:

Plays in full English as long as you change your PS4 to English (US) from English (UK).

The Japanese version also has full English and Japanese support as long as you change the language to English (US). Well at least for the Xbox One version so I'm assuming its the same for the PS4.

From the OP:

Plays in full English as long as you change your PS4 to English (US) from English (UK).

That's a tad shit, but I can live with that I guess. Price on amazon is fucking steep though, £36! Ouch! And out of print on play's website.

Guess I'll try and get this at a later date then.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
That's a tad shit, but I can live with that I guess. Price on amazon is fucking steep though, £36! Ouch! And out of print on play's website.

Guess I'll try and get this at a later date then.

Looking for the XBone version?
http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/de...devil+may+cry+4$pagemax=40$getcnt=0$pagecnt=1
http://www.nin-nin-game.com/en/bran...andard-edition-xbox-one-en-4976219062527.html
https://www.nippon-yasan.com/video-games/12246-xbox-one-devil-may-cry-4-special-edition.html

You can import the Japanese version (confirmed above by a few GAFfers including Phoenix Fang) to also work in full English like the Asian version). The exchange rate is pretty good right now. Best it's been in years, in fact.

Looking for the XBone version?
http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/de...devil+may+cry+4$pagemax=40$getcnt=0$pagecnt=1
http://www.nin-nin-game.com/en/bran...andard-edition-xbox-one-en-4976219062527.html
https://www.nippon-yasan.com/video-games/12246-xbox-one-devil-may-cry-4-special-edition.html

You can import the Japanese version (confirmed above by a few GAFfers including Phoenix Fang) to also work in full English like the Asian version). The exchange rate is pretty good right now. Best it's been in years, in fact.

About 26 quid, that's more like it! Now to see what it costs with delivery. Thanks for the links.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
My Pizza Box finally arrived. I went with cheap shipping since I knew I'd be getting the Asian version quicker:

TZyJE2Z.jpg

The shipping service beat the hell out of the outer box. It was practically torn open. Luckily dv8cag packaged it really really well.

So...it's taken two weeks but I'm officially playing Vergil now. I held off because I think he's broken but now I have Trish down decently, I think it's time for Vergil.
That being said I'm ill today so streaming DMC4: SE all day.
twitch.tv/bumblebeecody

As always drop by for questions, help with combos, tech etc.

Thanks!

Nero/Dante on Devil Hunter. I'm already on 6 with Vergil, however, gonna transition back to him and slice some shit up. Lady, though...what a pain to play as.

Nice nice :)

So is there a boxed copy of this? Haven't seen any for sale in the UK here so far, just japanese listings on Amazon UK.

Yep pretty much. But because it is a budget release title(Not full price), it means you can import for quite cheaply.

My Pizza Box finally arrived. I went with cheap shipping since I knew I'd be getting the Asian version quicker:

The shipping service beat the hell out of the outer box. It was practically torn open. Luckily dv8cag packaged it really really well.

Is it actually any good? I was interested but cancelled my pre-order because it seemed a bit meh.

ShinMaruku

Vergil Freezing bosses with the sword rain is really the best. You cna do a combo back off freeze them then unleash his ougi. So much fun.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Is it actually any good? I was interested but cancelled my pre-order because it seemed a bit meh.

I think it's pretty neat. Then again, I'm a sucker for in-game items becoming merch, like with Catherine or Zero Escape. Atrophy of Souls did an inbox did an inbox in video on YouTube you can check out.

gunbo13

Spent the money to get the PS4 version and unlock Vergil near maxed / BP. Kind of annoyed I'd have to shell out more money to bump up Lady & Trish. So I'll try to fraps them when I get around to it.

PC & PS4 versions
  1. PS4 version looks ass compared to PC, especially when using downsampling. It looks washed out and very blurry.
  2. PS4 controller is complete garbage for action games. It's bulkier, heavier, and the back triggers are terrible for use. Convex sticks are also better for inputs. Really a downgrade.
  3. I'm using PS3 controller (no rumble for low weight) and ds3 tool drivers for PC. You may think there could be room for input lag but there isn't. It is overall far more responsive then the PS4 version. This is especially true when configured on PC for low lag with the best frame-rate settings. With the PS4 version, I have to really focus on enemy attacks as opposed to reacting. It becomes more about timing on lag. Sucks.
  4. The PS4 version has pauses or hitches during some combat, at least in BP. Destroying swords for example causes this sometimes (it seems sporadic) and it does not exist in the PC version. Not a huge problem but minus points for PS4 here.
So overall the PC version is vastly superior to PS4 version in every way except IMO and the reason I got the PS4 version, easy capping/streaming. Otherwise, huge downgrade all around.

So now onto Vergil...

I'm hitting my first major shift now with playing him. It is now about honing all the tools at my disposal. So I'm about 40-45% and he will take work.

Vergil mechanics
  1. Vergil is less about enemy step cancel (ESC) than teles. In DMC3:SE it was the opposite. Typically ESC is for Yamato just in the air, Lunar, helm breaker, etc... But his good play is more about positioning.
  2. Weapon swapping in the air to new moves takes practice and memorization of what buttons switch to what. Beowulf and Force Edge both crack down on main attack, yet they both maintain air when using back/forward inputs. So you are looking at fast stuff to get this right and a lot of practice.
  3. Vergil's swords are fun but about the same as DMC3:SE. They are definitely slower though which is kind of meh but I can live with it. I do enjoy the AOE with the back/forward release.
  4. Vergil's automatic styles moves like judgement cut end do not belong in combo showcase. But they are definitely fun, also useful for clearing out dumb plant pods which I care not to fight.
  5. I like the concentration system but it becomes a non-issue once you get good. Sure you may get hit from off-screen or whatever, except if you are killing the style meter, concentration will stay up. So I stopped paying attention to it.
  6. Yamato is Vergil's goto. It has range, crowd control, and pretty much all you need to wreck anything. Beowulf is great to add damage and has good moves off ESC, plus on top of its own ESC. Force edge has great rush-down and quick damage to take out shields, etc... Yamato though is Vergil's bread & butter for sure.

More to say but not going to write a book right now. I'm still honing my craft. Need to play a lot more BP but will look to stream sometime in the next week. So check it out if it comes up.

Dmc hd collection is 10 bucks on psn store.

Arkham origins is 8 bucks. Picked up both even though i already have the hd collection on 360.
I already have the original games on PS2, but at that price, I might give the HD collection a shot. Though I did just buy Okami HD recently and my PS3 can only hold so much on it at a time.

Oh wait, it's actually 9 bucks for me because of PS Plus. Yeah, why the hell not, I'll get it.

I already have the original games on PS2, but at that price, I might give the HD collection a shot. Though I did just buy Okami HD recently and my PS3 can only hold so much on it at a time.

Oh wait, it's actually 9 bucks for me because of PS Plus. Yeah, why the hell not, I'll get it.

The HD collection's only real change besides updated graphics (that I know of) is in DMC you can switch between swords on the fly by clicking the right stick. As far as I know that wasn't in the original version. Also the controls change to what is now the standard DMC control scheme (triangle is sword and x is jump). For me this made DMC a lot more playable, since DMC4 and DMC3SE were both games I played before it.

DMC3SE and DMC2 remain unchanged, save for the graphics upgrade.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The HD collection's only real change besides updated graphics (that I know of) is in DMC you can switch between swords on the fly by clicking the right stick. As far as I know that wasn't in the original version. Also the controls change to what is now the standard DMC control scheme (triangle is sword and x is jump). For me this made DMC a lot more playable, since DMC4 and DMC3SE were both games I played before it.

I'm almost positive that weapon swapping was already in the game. The biggest change is that DMC has the original Japanese button layout unlike the travesty we received in the states (with jump as triangle).

There's also a Kalina Ann grapple glitch, and they (re)added a taunt for Dante's Mission 1 in DMC3 " Do your job!"

It's easily worth it for the visual upgrade, I say. How often are you going to bust out your PS2?

Everyone should consider picking it up.

Afrocious

I think I'm legit fatigued at the campaign now. Beat LDK with Vergil bout a week and a half ago, made a few gifs and a small combo vid entry for Vergil, playing as Lady sometimes, and I can't - for the life of me - get through SoS without getting bored out of my mind.

Holy shit. I just want to get to that one room with the Mega Scarecrows. I'm just now entering the Jungle lol.

I practice in Bloody Palace sometimes, which is fine and dandy, but that fatigues me as well from the loading screens and the slow menus.

Jesus, again, this game needs a practice/training/dummy mode.

The best thing to come out of this is that I am swimming in so many Proud and Red Souls.

I'm almost positive that weapon swapping was already in the game. The biggest change is that DMC has the original Japanese button layout unlike the travesty we received in the states (with jump as triangle).

There's also a Kalina Ann grapple glitch, and they (re)added a taunt for Dante's Mission 1 in DMC3 " Do your job!"

It's easily worth it for the visual upgrade, I say. How often are you going to bust out your PS2?

Everyone should consider picking it up.
Yeah, weapon switch was in DMC1 on the right stick, but it had an animation to it and could only be performed on the ground, unlike the instantaneous switch in later games.

And funny enough, I already have my PS2 out and hooked up right now. It's just been used as my import machine as of late. Still building that collection slowly

gunbo13

I practice in Bloody Palace sometimes, which is fine and dandy, but that fatigues me as well from the loading screens and the slow menus.
I forgot this when talking about PS4 vs. PC. PC has zero load times and quick menus. PS4 is the opposite. It's annoying.
Jesus, again, this game needs a practice/training/dummy mode.
Unfortunately, this has always been reserved for PC debug modes with DMC titles. Something I will be working with tonight. A training mode has been a wishlist item since DMC1.

BadWolf

Playing RE Revalations 2 and just got a Charge Shot weapon add-on, brought a smile to my face hehe.

Surprisingly solid game.

Sesha

DMC4SE was the seventh best-selling PS4 game in the US and nr. 10 in Europe in June.

US

1 The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited
2 Batman: Arkham Knight
3 The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
4 Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition
5 Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition
6 Grand Theft Auto V
7 Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition
8 Battlefield 4
9 PAYDAY 2: CRIMEWAVE EDITION
10 Battlefield Hardline

EU

1 The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited (New)
2 Batman: Arkham Knight (New)
3 The Last of Us Remastered (Re-entry)
4 The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (1)
5 FIFA 15 (8)
6 Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (RE)
7 Minecraft (7)
8 Payday 2: Crimewave Edition (New)
9 Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition (17)
10 Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition (New)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=171408076

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Kobayashi will be @ SDCC , just to be sure , did he always go there?

Probably there for the Capcom panel. I wouldn't expect much.

Anyyyyway, how do you do the Vergil spinning sword on his finger taunt?

Got to stage 29 in Bloody Palace with Vergil. God those spark dudes are real shitbags. Hard to do much against him when I used up all my DT before he showed up thus not being able to spam summoned sword attacks at him.

For the trophy to complete all 12 secret missions, do they need to be completed by all characters or by just the one set? Because I've done them all and no trophy has popped up. The only thing I can think of is that for the last few I completed the mission and quit the level, but I still did the missions so it shouldn't matter.

Anyone else had this issue? Where does the trophy pop up, at the end of the secret mission or at the end of the whole level?

Sesha

Ken confirmed for SF5, and he has a flaming Hado-kick. Now I want Ifrit to return in DMC5 and to have a flaming kick-based Zodiac.

Sesha

I feel the same, but I'd be OK if they brought back old ones like Ifrit or Beowulf. No to a repeat of what they did with Gilgamesh, tho.

Edit: Official Ken trailer. This game looks so good. My frothing demand for DMC5 continues.

Edit 2: Looks like the Hado-kick was just Birdie on fire. Damn. My bad.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I've been a Ken main for almost 20 years. I'm elated by the news.

For the trophy to complete all 12 secret missions, do they need to be completed by all characters or by just the one set? Because I've done them all and no trophy has popped up. The only thing I can think of is that for the last few I completed the mission and quit the level, but I still did the missions so it shouldn't matter.

Anyone else had this issue? Where does the trophy pop up, at the end of the secret mission or at the end of the whole level?

Yea, I had this exact same issue. You need to go back to the last Secret Mission you completed, redo it, then finish the entire Mission for it to pop on the ranking screen. Really annoying.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Ken's new look is so awful though

I think he looks alright. I'm sure there will be classic costumes.

And I think gauntlet weapons are a staple because ofthe balance they strike with the broadsword. Short range, tiny hitbox, but increased power and knockback. They're a staple for a reason. I don't know what would replace that functional balance.

Sephzilla

I still want a good powerful CQC weapon but I just don't want another set of gauntlets again. Give him some crazy demon sais or something

I've been a Ken main for almost 20 years. I'm elated by the news.

Yea, I had this exact same issue. You need to go back to the last Secret Mission you completed, redo it, then finish the entire Mission for it to pop on the ranking screen. Really annoying.
Ah, thanks a lot. It would have really annoyed me to see that trophy pop up after the one for maximising health. Thankfully I knew which one it was that I needed to repeat and it was an easy one, secret mission 12. Next up, the rest of the orbs and finishing a playthrough with the other characters.

Fighting with bare hands is more badass than using gauntlets, IMO.

Anyways, after playing a few LDK missions with Trish she finally clicked for me. Damn she is awesome to mess around with. Using round trip and then going bare handed on enemies is so damn fun :)

Fake edit: Ken for SFV! Thank god! Now I can happily buy that game day one ^_^

Top Bottom