• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

gunbo13

Vergil is hilariously OP, but I have so much fun ripping through LDK with him. This mode is designed for him.
I can agree with this. Vergil is available to allow a vet DMC4 Dante to be experienced by more people but also clearly tuned to rough up enemies in LDK. The only issue is that LDK sucks but that at least doesn't apply to the visuals.

EDIT:
Sounds good. Try setting your ps4 to output at RGB range full, and see if that helps with the washed out look. As I mentioned earlier, ps4s auto setting is busted and often doesn't read RGB ranges properly so you instead have to set it to limited or full specifically.
Ah, I forgot that full/limited thread was yours on the forum. Explains your passion. :)

My TV is limited; it isn't that new despite still being pretty nice. Blacks are crushed hard when using full.

Seyavesh

'cuz i'm bored and chain judgement cut is still driving me insane...

did ya'll know that vergil actually leaves a slight afterimage for all his attacks when his concentration level is at 2 or 3?
and that the afterimage for some insane reason is actually a second model loaded in by the game that's just a transparent vergil
you can swap out the afterimage model with whatever and it looks a lot cooler than the regular afterimage - especially in motion

see: swapping it with dante
rwYGApL.jpg

gunbo13

PS4 1080p vs PC 4K ds to 1080p
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/134714

Pay special attention to the detail in Vergil and the portal. The blur is really intense, so is the lack of AA, and the colors suffer. The PC version has a huge advantage here.

EDIT:
Both versions look better in motion. So the still does make the PS4 version's flaws stand out worse than your eye receives. Also, no idea what is going on with the shadows.

EDIT2:
lol Yes I do about the shadows. Somehow they got shut off on PC version. I know I didn't do that... Anyway, I fixed em so the shot should have them like the PS4 version.

EDIT3:
Here is a full PC 4K shot with shadows fixed.

Check out them pants!

cerulily

PS4 1080p vs PC 4K ds to 1080p
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/134714

Pay special attention to the detail in Vergil and the portal. The blur is really intense, so is the lack of AA, and the colors suffer. The PC version has a huge advantage here.

EDIT:
Both versions look better in motion. So the still does make the PS4 version's flaws stand out worse than your eye receives. Also, no idea what is going on with the shadows.

EDIT2:
lol Yes I do about the shadows. Somehow they got shut off on PC version. I know I didn't do that... Anyway, I fixed em so the shot should have them like the PS4 version.

EDIT3:
Here is a full PC 4K shot with shadows fixed.

Check out them pants!

why would you take a picture of the screen and not a direct capture off the console?

gunbo13

why would you take a picture of the screen and not a direct capture off the console?
This is not a framebuffer test but I'll snap one if you would like; different test. This forum is way to wound up on misleading shots.

EDIT:
Are you fucking kidding me? Twitter or facebook Sony?

This is not a framebuffer test but I'll snap one if you would like; different test. This forum is way to wound up on misleading shots.

EDIT:
Are you fucking kidding me? Twitter or facebook Sony?
You can copy screenshot to a flash drive. Much less compression there.

Golnei

Even if Vergil is hilariously broken when put up against 4's existing enemies, I'd hope the focus in 5 would lean more towards designing enemies that remain engaging with his set of tools, rather than nerfing him beyond the requirements of basic balance.

did ya'll know that vergil actually leaves a slight afterimage for all his attacks when his concentration level is at 2 or 3?
and that the afterimage for some insane reason is actually a second model loaded in by the game that's just a transparent vergil
you can swap out the afterimage model with whatever and it looks a lot cooler than the regular afterimage - especially in motion

rwYGApL.jpg

Interesting, I'll have to try that - it explains the duplicate Vergil .arc, at least. You should replace his afterimage with one of the Angelo armours for the maximum amount of clumsy symbolism.

A shame the Yamato phantom's missing most of the required anatomy to serve as a stand-in - as it is, the only thing that can be successfully swapped over it is Echidna. Which doesn't look bad, in a Madama Butterfly sort of way...

Well 4 came out like 7 years ago so that's fine. It's just that standards have gotten a lot better since then and so have expectations.

That's why if Capcom releases a DMC4.5 as DMC5 it would be a disaster.

I think a DMC4(SE).5 could actually be fairly successful, depending on which aspects they choose to overhaul completely and what's merely iterated upon. If the existing philosophy of combat and enemy design was just expanded with no major overhauls (and even liberal amounts of animation recycling) - but paired with far more cohesive level design, writing and overall structure; it'd probably lead to something very well-received; as opposed to a project with prohibitively high production values which could be compromised significantly by time or budget concerns - DMC5 repeating 4's worst flaws or falling into Deep Down's endless purgatory would be tragic.

Though the facial animation should probably be one of the first targets for improvement, even with a more iterative model...
spaspae8uzp.gif

There's already a character who uses a pool cue as a weapon.

Maybe we can get a game play recreation of the opening of the DMC3 cutscene...

And yeah Bow/Spear for Vergil would be cool as well as a double scythe weapon (or a full scythe).
Venom character action game. I'll buy it.
And I bet it reviews better than at least two of them
Character action games have a rough time in reviews. That said, this is DMC, so I'd believe it.
During scene with Dante reading the magazine I never looked at screens to see what the magazine says. Thought I'd take a screen to check:

devilmaycry4specialedvmun7.jpg

I still have no idea. Although I like there seems to be an article about the food that Dante likes.
Necessary seeing, dude.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
What happened to Vergil's rising sun move?

It's been replaced by a Shoryuken/Shoryureppa. He sort of still has it as part of his DT Kick-13 combo.

rwYGApL.jpg

This is pretty cool looking. Any video of how it looks in motion?

Akiller

rwYGApL.jpg

So,who's the stand in that pic?

gunbo13

There is lag in the PS4 version?
Yes, quite a bit actually. Word is due to forced vsync, which makes sense. Causes issues mostly with just inputs for judgment cuts and defensive teleports. You can work to adapt but lag-free PC version is the best gameplay experience.

Yes, quite a bit actually. Word is due to forced vsync, which makes sense. Causes issues mostly with just inputs for judgment cuts and defensive teleports. You can work to adapt but lag-free PC version is the best gameplay experience.

Any chance it will be removed in a patch?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Your TV, your wireless controller, and certain graphical "enhancements" all introduce varying levels of input lag. Vsync is one such "enhancement" that inherently adds a little input lag, probably a frame or so. Unless they actually straight up remove Vsync, the lag will be there.

At the same time, I think it's consistent. There aren't really any hitches in the framerate, so it really just means there might be slightly (a frame or so) of timing change between the PS4 version and the PC version without Vsync.

Speaking of which, anyone got a good DMC1 guide to point to, specifically with stuff regarding combat and enemy tips? Been a while since I first beat the game on normal and while I remember most of the level layouts and objectives just fine, I'd like to get a bit more out of that game's mechanics more than I did a year or two ago.

I'm not entirely sure about dedicated guides. I was waiting for someone better qualified to answer you and there are a lot of S rank playthroughs on Youtube you can use as reference, but here are a few "advanced" tactics in DMC1:

-Shotgun Hiking: Once an enemy is airborne, the shotgun actually causes it to launch up instead of away. After a hightime, you can use this property to continuously enemy step x shotgun x enemy step x shotgun in a loop to elevate yourself and the enemy (marionette).

-DT Canceling: Turn off DT immediately after performing DT only moves to preserve DT and actually gain back some DT upon hitting the enemy. This was especially common with Ifrit's Inferno and Kick-13, since you gain back substantial DT, which allows you to chain the moves several times against groups and bosses.

-Twitch Canceling: While in attack animation, flicking the left stick in a quick 360 will cancel recovery or reset combos. For example, Dante can repeat the first two hits of Alastor's combo indefinitely by twitch canceling before the third slash. Twitch canceling also allows for more rapid shotgun firing.

-Grenade Rolling: Canceling grenade shot recovery with jumps/rolls

Seyavesh

This is pretty cool looking. Any video of how it looks in motion?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqjp8KJuaTM&feature=youtu.be

just swinging at air but you can see what it looks like i guess. it's really neat especially with the color contrast

you can skip whenever it changes scenes, that's just showing that i did it with agnus too and it doesn't look nearly as cool
well that and agnus's entire body is missing whenever i have gauntlets on

also tried it with vergil's DT and it looked really bad 'cuz of the shared color scheme

So,who's the stand in that pic?
that's the dreadnought form for dante, it's just part of his regular model. it's also why he's rocking the gilgamesh gauntlet/leggings

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqjp8KJuaTM&feature=youtu.be

just swinging at air but you can see what it looks like i guess. it's really neat especially with the color contrast

you can skip whenever it changes scenes, that's just showing that i did it with agnus too and it doesn't look nearly as cool
well that and agnus's entire body is missing whenever i have gauntlets on

also tried it with vergil's DT and it looked really bad 'cuz of the shared color scheme

I think it looks pretty nice. Can you swap female models in, or are they incompatible? It's just nice to know that people have customization options.

Golnei

I think it looks pretty nice. Can you swap female models in, or are they incompatible? It's just nice to know that people have customization options.

I haven't tried any of them on either Vergil, but most of the female characters' models work fine over Nero and Dante (and vice versa - Dreadnought Dante and Alto Angelo with Trish's walk animation are oddly hypnotic). Though a lot of characters have missing parts on Nero, as you can see there Dante usually has a permanent Dreadnought / Gilgamesh, and there are a few character-specific issues like Kyrie's dress animating weirdly.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I haven't tried any of them on Vergil or his doppelganger, but most of the female characters' models work fine over Nero and Dante (and vice versa - Dreadnought Dante with Trish's walk animation is hypnotic). Though a lot of characters have missing parts on Nero, as you can see there Dante usually has a permanent Dreadnought / Gilgamesh, and there are a few character-specific issues like Kyrie's dress animating weirdly.

lol, please post a video or gif. Mods like these fascinate me.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I have a question, why, in Vergil's intro does it say
"A few decades ago"
? Shouldn't it be one
decade ago
at most?

All we know is that it takes place before DMC3. We don't know how far before DMC3 exactly, though I guess we can postulate from Nero's age, which is sort of unconfirmed. Somewhere between 17-20 years? Maybe they rounded up.

All we know is that it takes place before DMC3. We don't know how far before DMC3 exactly, though I guess we can postulate from Nero's age, which is sort of unconfirmed. Somewhere between 17-20 years? Maybe they rounded up.

Ok, Math time. Isn't it agreed that DMC4 is 10 years after DMC3 (Itsuno said so or something). And Dante is 28, in DMC4, so he was 18 in DMC3. For it to be a few decades ago, at the very least it has to have to have been two, which is twenty years, and Vergil and Dante would've been 8. I think they fucked up somewhere along the line

Because the writers don't give a fuck about the story.

Yeah, I think this is the correct answer lol

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Ok, Math time. Isn't it agreed that DMC4 is 10 years after DMC3 (Itsuno said so or something). And Dante is 28, in DMC4, so he was 18 in DMC3. For it to be a few decades ago, at the very least it has to have to have been two, which is twenty years, and Vergil and Dante would've been 8. I think they fucked up somewhere along the line

I don't think so. Dante was 19 in DMC3. I think a very very early interview with Kobayashi said 10 years after or something, but that's clearly must have changed as is evidenced by Nero's age. Uncle Dante looks more in his mid-30s. I'm pretty sure there was another interview stating that Dante was approaching 40.

I don't think so. Dante was 19 in DMC3. I think a very very early interview with Kobayashi said 10 years after or something, but that's clearly must have changed as is evidenced by Nero's age. Uncle Dante looks more in his mid-30s. I'm pretty sure there was another interview stating that Dante was approaching 40.

Yeah, if they retcon the 10 years thing, then it will make a lot more sense.

DMC1 takes place when Dante is 28. Their mother died when Dante and Vergil were eight, and Trish says it was 20 years prior to that game.

Edit: Actually them being eight was from the manga, I thought it was from a game. Still the flashback cutscene after defeating Nelo Angelo makes a strong case for him being in his mid-20s during that game.

I'm not entirely sure about dedicated guides. I was waiting for someone better qualified to answer you and there are a lot of S rank playthroughs on Youtube you can use as reference, but here are a few "advanced" tactics in DMC1:
Thanks for the info. I had already discovered most of that tech listed on my own at some point, save for the Twitch Cancelling. Revisiting this game's been providing a nice contrast to DMC4's campaign and some of the similarities in enemy designs (and just how much better the pacing and environment in general is).

Azure J

Know what's better than countering Sanctus' charge with a DT Stinger? This.

Honestly my favorite move of Vergil's.

Niiiice.

My personal fav Vergil move is either raining swords or that crazy rapid draw with Yamato. I am really bad at this game but I just love the combat engine and animations so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CXxkok72A0

Very short clip cause Vergil is so OP. Just practicing for now, PS4 lag is tough to adapt to.

EDIT:
Here is a pretty crappy combo but good to look it to learn simple aerial cancels. My just timings are all off on PS4 but working on it. Worn out for now. Probably play tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQIbLw2n9uM

Thanks for posting. I need to start trying to be more consistent with combos. Are there any good tutorials on combos with Vergil around yet?

Seyavesh

effects editing is so much dang work when there's no resources
can't wait to get all the kinks out of this dang thing 'cuz trish's effects look super cool
her default color scheme is like almost criminal

gunbo13

Thanks for posting. I need to start trying to be more consistent with combos. Are there any good tutorials on combos with Vergil around yet?
Not yet but you can check out some compilation info here for advanced stuff.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/106622-devil-may-cry-4-special-edition/72108689

I will likely this week at least write up some helpful tidbits.

BP1 (we all know how annoying this trio can be)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UMxS1UM3xY

BP2 (judgement cut is OP as fuck)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9c03IrPRPE

Combo3 (teles are the best)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K7TBBrPX-o

I'm about 60% with Vergil. I have no been able to weave a lot more advanced stuff in yet due to lack of practice. Damn fun character though. Easily my favorite now after DMC3 Dante.

I don't know if people noticed this, but Vergil's concentration circle thing turns off for a second whenever Vergil sheathes his sword.. Also with just frame judgement cuts.

Top Bottom