• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Well I finally finished the story mode. That last boss fight with dante is probably the worst one in the game for me, and the one with nero was kind of annoying but I got through it. I actually ended up liking Dante in the end more so than Nero even though he's harder to play well with, and I think the story itself was alright. For some reason the last couple of missions I played had serious lag to the point where dante would do the inputs a second or two later. I don't know if anyone else had this problem, but it annoyed me so much.

Turn off all nonsense post processing shit from your tv

Seyavesh

That's a ridiculous improvement - her default effects must have the worst palette possible. Are you planning on going with a different colour for the Sparda effects in the final version?
yep, they're already in to some degree and one of the last few things i need to figure out how to fix before releasing it- they keep the red sparks and black interiors on the overdrive waves and i wanna change those to white. the charge effect on the drive also sticks around as a red effect

the other thing that might not be possible is changing the lighting on the effects from yellow to blue because at the moment it's really jarring to do a blue volcano and then have the room flash yellow

see
hPENBgN.jpg

fhLLdYF.jpg

otherwise everything is more or less good to go, i took these shots when i made the initial post

gunbo13

Figured out a lot about inertia cancels yesterday. You can accomplish types of movement that DMC hasn't really seen. There are also a lot of JC buffers that people haven't implemented yet.

I'm going dark now. See if I have enough time to put the combos in my head to use. Or a few hours for pedestrian Trish and Lady play, same as my Vergil DMC3SE treatment that somehow ended up on the official DMC facebook as opposed to the Dante I put 50x the time into... Fuckers.

On a side note for the tournament, if it hasn't been made clear, there should be no use of debug, no damage, trainers, etc... People elongating scarecrows are not legit, it's practice only.

Turn off all nonsense post processing shit from your tv
Can't rule out vsync though. And if anyone in this thread is playing wireless, fix that immediately. Tested it out of curiosity and the lag is atrocious.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
That Trish mod is seriously amazing. The effects are so vibrant, and I love the color/outfit combo.

It's not that bad - the top-heavy Dreadnought model without the coat and the chaps accentuating the motion of the hips make it look more unbalanced .

That's pretty great, though. Runway dreadnought.

N313

yep, they're already in to some degree and one of the last few things i need to figure out how to fix before releasing it- they keep the red sparks and black interiors on the overdrive waves and i wanna change those to white. the charge effect on the drive also sticks around as a red effect

the other thing that might not be possible is changing the lighting on the effects from yellow to blue because at the moment it's really jarring to do a blue volcano and then have the room flash yellow

see

otherwise everything is more or less good to go, i took these shots when i made the initial post

link this mod, please. :)
awesome stuff

ShinMaruku

Seeing those ladies I want them to do a DMC where they make an alternave universe where Dante and Veril run into their alternate female selves just for comedy. Their Devil Triggers would be something else though. Female demons look more human than all the others.
Just like in Blizzard games. :p

Golnei

The tiny jacket Nero's left with when you remove his coat model reminded me a little of Wonder-Red's...

It's looking great regardless, I can't wait until it's in a state you're happy to release it in.

Seeing those ladies I want them to do a DMC where they make an alternave universe where Dante and Veril run into their alternate female selves just for comedy. Their Devil Triggers would be something else though. Female demons look more human than all the others.
Just like in Blizzard games. :p

Guest starring Jean and Rodin?

Speaking of which, I kind of want them to move away from that template for the female demons in future games - after Trish, Lucia, Nevan, Echidna and the Rusalkas and Secretaries; it might be nice to have a few more grotesque designs. The Slurm Queen may have been DmC's most progressive feature.

ShinMaruku

Trish Lucia and Nevan are all kinda based off the succubus design so it would do best to keep with that. Rusakalas are quite the subversion they are just feelers. :p

lumrt.jpg

UkIDeou.png

So approximately 1 week left to get those True Style entries in. Main goal of this tournament is community participation, and hopefully if enough interest is shown more True Style tournaments can be held down the line (especially for DMC5 kappa). So give it a shot and have FUN!
  • Lady and Trish entries due 22nd of July 12:01 am.
  • Vergil Entries due 23rd of July 12:01 am
If you're lazy you can quote this post for the submission link (in between the email field, google docs form).

Link to NeoGaf True Style Tournament thread, with information about entry format, etc (main point 30 second video): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1076690

Seyavesh

link this mod, please. :)
awesome stuff

here's the uplayer file for the effects, if that's what you mean- i'm just gonna consider it a permanent WIP because i seriously cannot figure out how the hell to fix the things that i want to (overdrive coloring, hitspark colors, lighting issues)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/5cjo4a4hswno8dv/Trish_blue_effects_WIP.zip

if you want the dmc3 lady outfit swap i've got two variants in this w/ a trish recolor and a dante recolor. there's two pretty huge bugs with this- there's a pretty significant chunk missing from where the neck and torso connect and there's a part of the magazine skirt that is weighted somewhere else and clipping like crazy through the chest. can't do much about those at the moment given the lack of model editing tools and whatnot... it looks pretty bad but i'm not very discerning when it comes to that type crap in a game like this
http://www.mediafire.com/download/8zw5sa8wt4dwm5m/Trish_EX1_LadyDMC3_swap.zip

also here's a really stupid way you can finish secret mission 7 with trish (sped up 3x as to waste your time slightly less)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJTjdO6W1-g&feature=youtu.be

Seyavesh

Had a feeling that would be the case. Thanks.

before you run into a blitz (if you know there's going to be one), use pandora rockets to raise your DT gauge really quickly, especially with the rapid rockets
after that just turn on DT and hammer bullets until their shield is down. then throw sparda and do a mashed out spinning bird kick- that move in DT mode fully mashed out will take them immediately from full health to the redzone or dead

if they do the really long spawn-in animation where they just stand around you're free to pandora laser them->dt->spinning bird kick to just outright basically skip the fight

besides that, to dodge them just doublejump in the air and mash on handguns until you see your guns autocorrect for em or until they do the laser- then divekick. trish's divekick actually has invulnerability frames on startup which is pretty silly. i've managed to hit them with the divekick when they do the dive and both knock them out of their shield and not get the stupid knockback thing

did i say startup? cuz apparently it's just straight up 'all the way until it lands' which is sure something!

edit:
in fact, doing this just let me beat bloody palace for the first time since i kept dying around stage 40 to the stupid blitz + enemy gimmick stages from trying to use the laser nonstop when on turbo mode + whatever they have the possibility to move out of the laser in the middle of the animation and just hit you.
bloody palace dante takes so much damage from everything, haha- it's kinda silly how stupidly easy the fight is as trish. i just hit him with round trip + DT'd SBK and then pandora laser and he died instantly
the only hit he got on me was the sucker punch from not expecting him to be right next to you on spawn

gunbo13

Well he isn't...but instant JC is no bug, no glitch, no nothing. I said I was going dark but wanted to at least lay out my solution to this instant JC stuff. I want more players to have the tech honestly. Then I'm going to have to toughen up and produce solid content, time permitting...ugh.

Primers
Vergil JC Ground Chains (perfect sheathe charges)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KImFsSbOw-I

Vergil JC Aerial Chains (non-perfect aerial sheathe charges)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj47p18vVjU

There are 3 types of charges for JC
  1. Long charge, basically hold the button until Yamato flashes. Perfect JC is tough to get off and no chaning ability.
  2. Non-perfect sheathe charge, time your input when Vergil sheathes his sword. You will cut down your buffer time by at least half.
  3. Perfect sheathe charge, timing your sheathe input perfectly initiating or following a perfect JC. You will shorten your buffer to about 20% of non-perfect sheathe input JC.

Execution
[buffer melee + release + timed melee]

Explanation
So what is now known? Basically perfect sheathe charges explains all the funky JCs you see in videos. The only variables are timing of your inputs and how you cancel the animations.

Few variations I have seen:

-Instant ground charge : The way to do this is to basically hit a 5 frame window on your perfect sheath charge following a perfect JC. Vergil will basically cancel his melee animation into what appears to be an instant JC.

-Trick JC chaining : The one mislabeled as some funky bug. It's not. Basically all you are doing is canceling out melee animation with a teleport, then hitting a perfect JC. You then are just repeating the inputs.

[buffer melee + trick + release (repeat)]

-Enemy step JC chaining : This variation, shown in an often shared YT video, is a combination of the two above concepts. It's an instant JC with basically perfect timing but uses an enemy step instead of trick to cancel. ESC has near instant cancel ability so if your timing is basically perfect with your JCs, you will get aerial instant JCs.

------------------------------------

There are a lot more possibilities with perfect sheathe charges that I'm not going to go into. I only was able to capture two videos this morning, I had like 5 minutes, so not all variations are shown. However the core concepts are clearly illustrated.

Now to expand on the possibilities...

gunbo13

^I don't think anyone was suggesting that trick JC chaining was a bug. It makes sense given what we know about the respective mechanics.
Many videos suggested such a thought. And many people who have videos of JC chaining couldn't explain why. I'm explaining them in writing. Unless you have another source, I have not seen a write-up explaining the variations nor has this tech been widespread knowledge.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Many videos suggested such a thought. And many people who have videos of JC chaining couldn't explain why. I'm explaining them in writing. Unless you have another source, I have not seen a write-up explaining the variations nor has this tech been widespread knowledge.

I'm certainly not suggesting your write up wasn't informative or helpful. The few videos I've seen just haven't labeled it as a bug, since we know that you can buffer charges for insta judgment cut during certain frames and trick instantly cancels either your startup or recovery/elevates Vergil. It just sort of makes sense logically.

gunbo13

I'm certainly not suggesting your write up wasn't informative or helpful. The few videos I've seen just haven't labeled it as a bug, since we know that you can buffer charges for insta judgment cut during certain frames and trick instantly cancels either your startup or recovery/elevates Vergil. It just sort of makes sense logically.
Call it creative writing. At first glance, new players would think the animations are confusing. I have seen a few early videos where it's like "lol, Vergil is broken, etc..." with no explanations (there are also videos explaining parts of the tech, usually confusingly). Since I wrote a breakdown, I obviously know that it isn't a bug or glitch.

I would just ignore my wordings, I get carried away. The tech breakdown is what matters for players who are not aware. I just wanted to share this particular tech because I think players would have fun with it. It's something wonky that doesn't have a high level of skill requirement, just some practice and patience.

EDIT:
There are more advanced usages of this tech though; more than just boring chaining.

EDIT2:
"Glitch" video (one of the silly ones though it is explained later)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEu5xB__uVM

gunbo13

Good stuff. It appears he hasn't discovered instant JC ground charge or instant ESC JC yet, though they are very difficult to pull off. There is also way more potential with inertia but again, it is damn tough stuff. I think he could have also covered reverse attacks since he used them so much in the video and it's not like that is universally known tech.

I like his reminder of DMC3 tech and a little new stuff that I tend to forget; mainly using summoned swords for air stun aside from simple juggles and detonation. I have been especially absent in detonation usage aside from DT rapid slash.

Great video though. Kudos to him and his time. Way better than wall of texts.

EDIT:
I also don't think I have posted an example of instant ESC JC, which is pretty much the same concept of instant JC ground charges.

Not my video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHMTvwi5lzw

Dahbomb

I think he covers reverse attacks in another video. Probably why he didn't cover Full Steam/Distortion in this video either despite Vergil being able to do it.

gunbo13

My current theory for instant JC is that it only occurs when doing a long charge into a perfect JC. I believe that the longer buffer into perfect JC makes the time required to the next perfect JC insanely short. The difference from air to ground is that in the air you need to use a quick ESC since tele has too much lag to go instant and on the ground it should be just a second buffering.

However, I have also done non-perfect instant JC chains on the ground in addition to perfect instant. It's basically Vergil doing two non-perfect JCs in a row with no in-between animation.

I also feel that more stuff will pop up regarding JCs in the future, including possible infinite chaining. Move has way too many buffering options.

EDIT:
Other thought is that instant JC is related to Yamato combo and specific buffering points. Who the hell knows. haha

Seyavesh

Well he isn't...but instant JC is no bug, no glitch, no nothing. I said I was going dark but wanted to at least lay out my solution to this instant JC stuff. I want more players to have the tech honestly. Then I'm going to have to toughen up and produce solid content, time permitting...ugh.

Primers
Vergil JC Ground Chains (perfect sheathe charges)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KImFsSbOw-I

Vergil JC Aerial Chains (non-perfect aerial sheathe charges)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj47p18vVjU

thanks for the writeup, but i'm pretty confused about what constitutes a perfect sheathe charge on the ground visually- that video looks exactly like what happens if i'm just doing just-frame judgement cuts as soon as possible. the timing on the charge feels the same as the initial JF judgement cut.

based on your description it sounds like you should be able to tell the difference in charge times, especially on a perfect sheath charge but i can't seem to differentiate when it happens or doesn't

also wondering about your explanation on inputs for the chain trick cancel JC, as i don't input mine that way and it still works- i actually immediately press melee again after the initial release and then simply negative edge->trick to cancel and it works. am i misinterpreting your inputs for that, cuz i'm reading that as hit melee button->trick->negative edge
edit:
also i feel i should mention this method lets me chain grounded non-JF judgement cuts so it looks kinda like DMC3's

gunbo13

thanks for the writeup, but i'm pretty confused about what constitutes a perfect sheathe charge on the ground visually- that video looks exactly like what happens if i'm just doing just-frame judgement cuts as soon as possible. the timing on the charge feels the same as the initial JF judgement cut.

based on your description it sounds like you should be able to tell the difference in charge times, especially on a perfect sheath charge but i can't seem to differentiate when it happens or doesn't
Yea, this is the risk of using varying terms. JFJC (just frame judgement cut) is the same as perfect sheath JC. I don't like using the just frame prefix for these, similar to how I don't like describing Nero's revs as just inputs. A perfect sheathe JC to me is illustrative and clues players in on animation cancel timing. It's also "perfect" so you get the best visual result; thinking fighting games here. I may lose this term battle but I'm pretty happy with the use.

For your second part, non-perfect and perfect sheathe JC cancel chaining both exist. Non-perfect JC cancels are just consistent as the clip I showed except you are getting the animation/damage result of non-perfect JCs. I can show this in a video but it's pretty simple, it is consistent chaining just slower. I am certain you are already aware of these animations. Also note that you can cancel out even more animation then I showed in the video with perfect sheaths. It is that 5 frame deal I mentioned. I should try to cap it.
also wondering about your explanation on inputs for the chain trick cancel JC, as i don't input mine that way and it still works- i actually immediately press melee again after the initial release and then simply negative edge->trick to cancel and it works. am i misinterpreting your inputs for that, cuz i'm reading that as hit melee button->trick->negative edge
edit:
also i feel i should mention this method lets me chain grounded non-JF judgement cuts so it looks kinda like DMC3's
You are correct! Those inputs I put were inertia cancels, not chained trick cancelled JCs. What I was trying to describe is that chain trick cancelled JCs follow the same principle as perfect sheathe JCs except you are canceling the melee animation with trick. The trick + release is what does this cancel so you are using the same method.

It's all really straightforward stuff except when you are talking about the instant JCs. Which is another tricky term since people may get confused between instant & perfect. Or just & instant for that manner.

Basically:
Non-perfect = smaller visual result, lower damage chain of JCs
Perfect = larger visual result, higher damage chain of JCs
Instant = Two JCs in rapid succession, faster than chain trick cancelled JCs and perfect sheathe JCs.

I still haven't solved the instant JC mystery completely but I have my theories (albeit possibly bad ones). You of course also have inertia and trick cancelled JCs.

EDIT:
So I can do instant JCs regularly now. However...only on the PC version. The PS4 has too much damn lag making it almost like playing Nostradamus to pull off these precise timings.

I'm going to work on capping with my PC cause PS4 is not worth my time anymore. You can't have a chunk of lag frames when your required inputs are in the 5-10 frame range, at the highest. Total nonsense, patch it Capcom (lol).

Dahbomb

This is like the old days where people didn't agree on what they wanted to called jump cancel and you basically had a bunch of different terminologies stating the same thing.

I think everyone generally uses Just Frame Judgment Cuts nowadays. The Instant JCs aren't widely coined yet and that is basically going to get confused with JFJCs because JFJCs are "instant" versions of the non JF Judgment Cuts. Maybe Chained JCs is more appropriate but don't know.

We are about a month into DMC4SE's release and we still haven't actually figured out Vergil.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'm partial to the term Just Frame Judgment Cut, I think. Or Just Judgment Cut.

We are about a month into DMC4SE's release and we still haven't actually figured out Vergil.

True. And we'd be disappointed if it was any other way. The characters in this game are its longevity. I'm looking forward to seeing how it all unfolds for months to come.

I don't think we figured out Trish. She is really my Dark Horse of this game....

For the time being, I think Trish is the most straightforward character in the game. She has no hidden mechanics that we've discovered yet. Even Lady has mash damage. The most variation we have on Trish is some inertia on a few moves.

This is really great stuff. Another video to add to the reference tools/tutorials.

Call it creative writing. At first glance, new players would think the animations are confusing. I have seen a few early videos where it's like "lol, Vergil is broken, etc..." with no explanations (there are also videos explaining parts of the tech, usually confusingly). Since I wrote a breakdown, I obviously know that it isn't a bug or glitch.

I would just ignore my wordings, I get carried away. The tech breakdown is what matters for players who are not aware. I just wanted to share this particular tech because I think players would have fun with it. It's something wonky that doesn't have a high level of skill requirement, just some practice and patience.

EDIT:
There are more advanced usages of this tech though; more than just boring chaining.

EDIT2:
"Glitch" video (one of the silly ones though it is explained later)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEu5xB__uVM

Ah, I hadn't seen that video. Your write-up is very helpful and welcome, though I think some of the distinctions are blurred or possibly the melding of two separate techniques (if I'm understanding correctly). But otherwise, it's important information to have out there for perusal.

Seyavesh

there's something really weird that i get sometimes where i'm able to release a just-frame judgement cut without the animation actually going off- like the judgement cut slash comes out but i'm already swinging into the second or third part of yamato's air combo

not really sure what causes that but it's neat as hell and my experimentation has failed me because i keep just getting JFJC reset into first yamato air combo when i purposefully go for it

Has there been any announcements towards when/if there's going to be a patch for the PC version? It's been almost a month and there's been no word from Capcom at all. I get stuttering every time certain moves are used (like Rising Star), and several other people have reported the same issue too. It's too bad I've already fought with the game for four hours, otherwise I'd just get a refund at this point.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Has there been any announcements towards when/if there's going to be a patch for the PC version? It's been almost a month and there's been no word from Capcom at all. I get stuttering every time certain moves are used (like Rising Star), and several other people have reported the same issue too. It's too bad I've already fought with the game for four hours, otherwise I'd just get a refund at this point.

No announcements, unfortunately. They're collecting bug data from the community at the moment, so they're reporting things to the dev team with the hopes of getting a patch together:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/329050/discussions/0/598199244893344732/

Also Gregaman is accepting just general bugs with any version of the game here:
http://www.capcom-unity.com/devil_m...1/30530313/dmc4se-balance-changes-or-glitches

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just realized I got $15 in PSN credit so I jumped on this since it was only a little more.

The change to Speed is godlike. It kicks in so fast now, I love it. Bummer I have to do Devil Hunter again, but I've been running through with Nero/Dante to unlike SoS which is where I'll start with the other characters...I'm assuming it works like that, anyway.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Just realized I got $15 in PSN credit so I jumped on this since it was only a little more.

The change to Speed is godlike. It kicks in so fast now, I love it. Bummer I have to do Devil Hunter again, but I've been running through with Nero/Dante to unlike SoS which is where I'll start with the other characters...I'm assuming it works like that, anyway.

Yep, Devil Hunter should unlock SoS for all characters. Difficulty mode unlocks, health upgrades, DT upgrades, red orbs, and proud souls are shared across all characters. If you like the improvement to Speed, be sure to play on Turbo, too. It's pretty much the standard now.

Top Bottom