• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition Screenshots

Grief.exe

It depends entirely on how in depth you like to get into the combat. Three additional characters = hundreds upon hundreds of hours for some people.

You don't see any value in adding 3 new playable characters?

2 playable characters vs. 5 playable characters and new cutscenes.

Not much value.

I see tons of it! If you don't care about the new characters and gameplay possibilities I can see why you wouldn't care but then this release isn't really aimed at you.

3 new characters man. That's basically 3 new DMC games.

Just pointing out that the value is lowered for existing PC owners who can currently run the game at 4K+ on a toaster. Console owners get the benefit of 1080p and the shared bonuses, with the former being a laughable metric on PC. I wonder if Capcom is going to have a higher internal resolution similar to the Okami HD port.

I love DMC4, I would consider buying this. Just pointing out a potential criticism.

Dahbomb

The guy is stressing that stuff like DRI, Flying Guard and Inertia are completely in tact for Nero/Dante.

Also this:

Vergil is back, and this time he's more motivated than ever.

Couldn't be more true.

Also incoming papa Vergil confirmation!

And we may even find some answers regarding his connection to series newcomer Nero.

Sesha

If it's 40 I don't see why they would bother with Digital only. DmC was 40 and that game would be in a worst spot if you asked anyone compared to this. I easily see 20-30 for this. Japan always seems to have higher prices anyway. Though I guess it's better to have expectations for a higher price so if it happens, it's not as much of a blow.

The JP version is about 4000 yen, so 20-30 seems possible. Hopefully it's something like 30 on consoles and 20 on PC.

Concentration seems to build pretty fast, I wonder if that will scale with difficulty. Still crossing my fingers for a gmd difficulty.

Better uncross those fingers because Greg already deconfirmed GMD on Twitter.

The guy is stressing that stuff like DRI, Flying Guard and Inertia are completely in tact for Nero/Dante.

He did his homework. He's setting a good example for his colleagues.

Dahbomb

Analysis forthcoming but I will just say that Concentration building that fast while being locked on to enemies at close range is kinda bull shit.

All Concentration is going to mean for top players is that Vergil basically has a passive damage/speed/range buff on his moves while having access to the super move when you have DT.

The super move actually doesn't do that much damage on bosses. Saw it hit on Berial and did mediocre damage. It's most likely just for clearing trash.

SheHateMe

Got my play-asia pre-order whew lets geddit

Same here. First time in my 30+ years of playing video games that I've imported a game. (Imported plenty of soundtracks, though.) Couldn't have picked a better game to start with, in my humble opinion.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So is this just DMC4 PC Edition with 3 new characters?

They've added some touches like additional motion blur from what we can see so far. They might have more surprises down the line, but I wouldn't expect too much. This is a release that is heavily geared towards the hardcore, who will find hundreds of hours of gameplay with those three new characters.

Three new characters is significantly harder to add and balance than you might think.

N313

DT Vergil looks so happy.

1685405417ab45ac03306dd8e747e65d.png

xD

sn00zer

They've added some touches like additional motion blur from what we can see so far. They might have more surprises down the line, but I wouldn't expect too much. This is a release that is heavily geared towards the hardcore, who will find hundreds of hours of gameplay with those three new characters.

Three new characters is significantly harder to add and balance than you might think.

Ehhh ok. Yeah its a skip. Was hoping they had since announced some new levels or enemy types

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Ehhh ok. Yeah its a skip. Was hoping they had since announced some new levels or enemy types

It's definitely a balance. Those additions would have been preferable, but for me a single additional character adds as much, if not more, bang for the buck than an entire DLC chapter.

Motion blur was always in DMC4 it's just now added to more stuff in the game.

Yeah, I said additional motion blur. It's pretty muted, unlike say RE5 or Lost Planet.

ShinMaruku

Watch you find out Nero is Dante and Nevan's kid.

I want them to throw a curve and say Nero was conceived in Marvel as a result of Chris G's team of Vergil and Morrigan.

Dahbomb

Guess I never noticed.
You never noticed they added motion blur to stuff like Rainstorm or did you never noticed that DMC4 always had motion blur?

If it's the latter then I don't know what to say... DMC4 had motion blur all over the place.

Sesha

You never noticed they added motion blur to stuff like Rainstorm or did you never noticed that DMC4 always had motion blur?

If it's the latter then I don't know what to say... DMC4 had motion blur all over the place.

Well, it's more that I was so used to it I didn't really think about it.

Akiller

I think i can't fully blame Grief, PC users already have access to 1080p/60fps,turbo mode,LDK and cool mods like Debug mode,God Must Die etc.
Indeed DMC4SE PC should be 20$

popyea

That's one of the things I like about how they handle the difficulty in the series, they don't gimp your abilities to make the game more challenging (unlike Bayonetta which needed to remove a key mechanic to make a harder difficulty).

It bugs me that an action game fan can believe this.
Dodge offset is the central mechanic, Witch Time is completely peripheral.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Some neat new things we see in these previews:

-Rapid Slash into Rising Slash
xp52yFL.gif

-A better look at Vergil's Million Slash
QQHXWja.gif

You can also see the huge drop in Concentration from whiffing normals.

-Vergil's Drive
lbhyYEC.gif

-Sword Storm launches enemies depending on their juggle state
EJVoVWd.gif

-Vergil can "release" the embedded summon swords for damage? Coincides with sword sheath
w9EKi5X.gif

-Hightime in Lvl 3 Concentration is a multi-hitting move
QwP7b2f.gif

-DT Air Stinger pierces and travels farther
cCZzmG0.gif

-Starfall causes ground bounce
3cRceaH.gif

-Dimension Slash has an armored startup
nhzQggB.gif

Demon Ice

Banned
I'm happy they're marketing this remaster towards the hardcore fans that love to dig deep into the nuances and differences of the combat systems of each character.

3 new characters is MORE than enough to justify the purchase if each character's combat is unique, challenging, and deep. From the footage they've absolutely nailed Vergil's gameplay, and I trust they'll do the same for Trish and Lady. Day 1.

Dahbomb

Complete analysis of Vergil in DMC4SE (thus far):

giphy.gif

*Vergil is able to use Sprint right from the get go which is a new feature in DMC4SE and will most likely apply to all characters.

*Vergil has the teleport mechanic from DmC where he throws a sword and teleports towards it. You don't need to have the sword implanted in an enemy to teleport to them.

*The teleports can cancel Vergil out of most options which makes it an obscenely powerful tool in Vergil's option. It will open up new combat avenues for the character where before Vergil was a fairly rigid character in DMC3.

*The dual weapon swap mechanic from DMC3 is back for DMC4SE. You can swap weapons going forward and backwards with Vergil.

*Vergil has teleport evasion while in Devil Trigger... his side roll and back jump (R1 + Back/Left/Right + X) are instead transformed into a side teleport dash and back teleport dash.

*Vergil's new aerial rave is a 3 hit combo. This is a change made to accomodate the addition the new Combo B Aerial Rave for Vergil which is 2 hits in the air, pause and then attack again similar to Nero's Roulette Spin move.

*The move Rising Sun is now replaced with Beast Uppercut from DMC3. Rising Sun is now available as an add on move to the DT version of Lunar Phase.

*Vergil retains his Starfall move from DMC3 and now has an insanely low height restriction to use. This probably applies to other Vergil moves as well (the low height restriction). In addition, Starfall now causes a launched state on grounded opponents.

*Vergil takes cue from Nero and has an air version of his Stinger. Lower range than ground Stinger but retains the knockback property of the move. More range in DT form. DT Stinger on the ground has similar property to Dante's, pierces and goes through enemies like hot knife through butter.

*Spiral Swords move around Vergil in a sort of tilting pattern now as opposed to just spinning in a straight circle. Looks pretty cool. They disengage and go outwards after the move is finished its entire animation. The hitstun is lower than in previous games although the duration is longer.

He has the following formations with it: Blistering, Storm and Rain. Rain Swords are new and he positions the swords above the enemies and brings them down like rain. This move has an immobilization effect on enemies making it a very powerful crowd control move. The old formations like Storm Swords now cause a launch status on hit.

Formations consume a little over 1 bar of DT gauge.

Summoned Swords can be fired very rapidly or slowly.

There's also an input that Vergil can do to destroy all embedded Summoned Swords for more damage and style gain similar to Dante's Lucifer although it is unknown what the input is for it.

*Here's how the Concentration (aka "Motivation:) mechanic works:

Concentration bar is filled with the following actions:

*Completing sheath animations.
*Successfully hitting enemies with attacks.
*Successfully dodging an enemy attack.
*Stay in close proximity to enemies while being locked on and just strafing around.
*Completing taunts

The bar is reduced with the following actions:

*Whiffing/missing attacks
*Get hit by any attack or take any damage
*Walking away from enemies or moving around without being locked on

What having a high bar gives you:

*More damage
*More speed
*More range on attacks
*Beefed up version of your special moves
*Access to special high Concentration only moves
*Starts glowing purple and has additional effects on moves like having after images and more blue/purple hues

The motif with the mechanic is that you have to play efficient and cocky as fuck... you have to BE Vergil!

*Round Trip is back and has a very small charge up time and start up animation making it very easy to use mid combo just like Vergil's newer Judgment Cut. It now has a vacuum effect that lingers around for quite some time for some added crowd control. You can call it back at will.

Can now also be done in the air.

*Combo 3 of Force Edge performs a Jet Stream-like move of A&R from DMC3. The numbers of hits is a lot and he ends with a spinning double vertical hit with both Force Edge and Yamato.

*Vergil has Million Stab which acts like Dante's in that he can do it off of Stinger.

*Vergil has Kick 13 combo as well although currently it is unknown as to how it is actually performed. It is guessed that it might be a back, forward input.

*They gave Vergil a similar move to Solar Flare from DmC which is now his rising launcher for Yamato. It can now be canceled from Rapid Slash (Rapid Slash -> rising slash) for some very aggressive, combo oriented combat!

*Vergil has multiple taunts just like Dante/Nero.

*Vergil has a black version of Drive for Force Edge although the properties and the inputs are unconfirmed at this time. It has a fast version and a slow version. The slow and charged version releases a black slash that is horizontal as opposed to Dante's which is vertical.

*Hightime is cancelable at any time into Helm Breaker, a new feature to DMC in general. Receives multi-hitting properties while at high Concentration (like many of Vergil's moves)... enemy step opportunity?

*Aerial Judgment Cut confirmed for Vergil and has a very small charge time just like the ground version. Judgment Cut is one of the moves modified by having a high Concentration meter.

*Judgment Cut End aka Vergil's "super" move is a DT only move and requires lvl3 Concentration bar (about 3/4th full). It has a long start up but it hits everything on screen. It doesn't do that much damage but since it his everything it's a great crowd move (superb for clearing out trash enemies). Has to be positioned properly to be used against bosses otherwise does measly damage and puts you in a vulnerable state before and after the move.

*Lunar Phase is back and is now also doable in the air. DT version is beefed up.

*Rapid Slash has a modified animation and cleanly goes through enemies. The DT version is chainable and is beefed up dramatically to be faster, wider and more powerful.

*Divorce/Demon form moveset of Vergil in DmC makes a return for Vergil in the form of Combo II. The final hit of this combo sequence is the VERY FIRST TIME that Vergil holds his sword with two hands. When he holds it with two hands the sword glows purple and he delivers a powerful vertical strike with big power. It has armor breaking properties.

Vergil channeling his inner Kenpachi here...

*Vergil's Yamato Combo 3 is a multi-strike hit similar to Million Slash from DMC3's A&R.

*Beowulf Combo 2 is taken from Dante's Beowulf Combo 2 in DMC3. Combo I is the same as before. The finisher of Combo II is Straight.

*Just like in DmC... Vergil is now able to PULL enemies with his Summoned Swords!

Man they give Vergil a shit ton of moves with different properties, plus that rapid slash cancel into launcher is baller as fuck. This is a lot more than I expected when hearing they were giving Vergil his DMC3 weapons. Vergil's flow is exactly what I want more with DMC5, and it's how Nero felt compared to Dante in DMC4. June can't come soon enough....

edit: and Didn't Sesha want OTGs? We got that now...

Grief.exe

DmC is great on its own

Yes.

In a complete vacuum where the rest of the Devil May Cry series, Metal Gear Rising, or Bayonetta doesn't exist.

Context is important.

I always found it comical that the media made it out that we were worried about the story, themes, or protagonist. Like fans of the genre give a shit.

Unit24

Yes.

In a complete vacuum where the rest of the Devil May Cry series, Metal Gear Rising, or Bayonetta doesn't exist.

Context is important.

I always found it comical that the media made it out that we were worried about the story, themes, or protagonist. Like fans of the genre give a shit.

Speak for yourself.

Top Bottom