• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry Collection |OT| Over a Decade of Style

Sera O

Banned
I've been tempted to check out DMC2 again out of just morbid curiosity. I got the PS2 three game box when that was released and remember trying it out and just abandoning it quickly. Hard to want to spend time on it though when I haven't made my way through DMC 3 yet on the HD collection.

By the way, DMC4 for PC is a daily deal on steam today for $4.99 USD. DmC is on for $25.

Raonak

Banned
Posting this here, because I think DMC fans might appreciate this.

So Im a huge DMC fan, 3 & 4 being some of my favorutie games of all time, 4's combat engine, being borderline perfection in my eyes.
so I was understandably saddened by the rebooting of the franchise. In all likeliness, DMC5 is never going to happen.

So, me having some game development experience set off making a 2d DMC fangame, but would not be linear, instead, you have a bunch of devil hunting contracts which you must furfill, each one being it's own stage, with a boss at the end who is the devil you are meant to hunt. As you progress you get more contracts to fufill and whatnot.

This game did not come to fruition, becuse it has instead spiraled into a new game called "Nax of the Universe". An ActionRPG very much inspired by the DMC series and other character action games.
The battle system is VERY MUCH like DMC. Including similar movesets and inputs. the combat is fast, fluid and deep. running at 60 FPS.

raonakgif3euoy.gif

Gameplay Trailer

follow me on twitter @theRaonak to keep up to date

BadWolf

Went back and finished my DMC4 DMD run (stopped at the Dante mission before because didn't feel like backtracking).

This time I put some more time into learning Dante and yeah, he's a great character. Both him and Nero are just so well and fully realized in their play styles.

Read up a little and used the various styles and moves more (like the distorted Shin Shoryuken) so it was more fun than my previous runs with him. Lots of places gave me trouble, especially Angus.

Then it came back to Nero for mission 19 and 20 and it really hit me how much the game, enemies and bosses were fully designed around Nero. Fighting all those bosses again in mission 19 was a joke with him (for a moment I thought I started the mission on a lower difficulty by mistake), where with Dante they could be troublesome. Agnus's sword summoning was very annoying with Dante but for Nero it was an asset since he could throw them at the boss and cause damage and stagger. Same with Berial, once you put his fire out you can do that special Devil Bringer grab with Nero which not only does great damage but downs him stunned on the ground for more damage and another special DB grab. And Nero's level 3 charge shot causes two staggers for the price of one shot in addition to doing great damage.

Same with the other bosses and enemies, where Dante needs to get fancy Nero can just breeze through.

So yeah, Dante is very complex and has a butt load of tools but he needs a lot of those to survive in a game not built for him.

I give this game a lot of shit for how half assed it is but I looked at the game clock and have put in almost 50 hours during the various playthroughs and what not. At the end of the day the combat here is just damn good.

What difficulty do you guys play/re-play in for fun? Son of Sparda, DMD or another? The thing I find annoying about DMD is that you can't take your time and have fun because you are forced to take out enemies fast, or they will get that purple power up aura.

DMD is the only difficulty in DMC4.

I disagree for the most part about the enemies not fitting with Dante. He has the tools to handle the enemies, the thing is that Nero just has a couple of super powerful tools. Devil Bringer can put most of the basic enemies into perpetual stunned states (the Frosts are borderline non-enemies for Nero but are very fun to fight as Dante) and his Lv. 3 Charge Shot destroys/stuns everything. Dante's moveset is much more balanced. I thought they did a good job at making enemies/bosses that are fun to fight as both characters.

The only enemy that Dante fights that feels off is probably the Cutlass, which is a shit enemy that only appears in one room in the entire game anyway.

Just wanted to share. I was messing around with my streaming settings and decided to turn a segment into a GIF. Surprised it somewhat loops.
6J5dKkt.gif

Yo, in DMC3 is it better to stick with a style til it maxes out or lvl them up once and then switch? Cuz that second lvl looks like it takes waaaaaaay more exp.

Personally, Trickster and Swordmaster are best maxed. Swordmaster brings a lot of good moves. Air Trick is fantastic.

Royalguard is perfectly functional at Lv2. You just gain an extra rage orb and a useless move at Lv3. Besides, Royalguard isnt recommended until you're very very familiar with the game.

Lv3 Gunslinger moves are usually just improved versions.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Yo, in DMC3 is it better to stick with a style til it maxes out or lvl them up once and then switch? Cuz that second lvl looks like it takes waaaaaaay more exp.

If you're enjoying a particular style, stick with it. It'll be leveled as you get closer to the end of the game. As Wolf Akela mentioned, styles like Swordmaster gain significant advantages at level 3, so if you fancy those you'll want to get those maxed.

K.Sabot

Every time I finish DMC3 I get morose over where the series is at now.

Royal Guarded through everything this time, super satisfying when you aren't spamming it.

Managed to get the SSS double kill on Agni and Rudra with one RG blast.

Honestly getting so good at RG now that I'm thinking of trying a RG only run, with no other weapons.

Every time I finish DMC3 I get morose over where the series is at now.

Royal Guarded through everything this time, super satisfying when you aren't spamming it.

Managed to get the SSS double kill on Agni and Rudra with one RG blast.

Honestly getting so good at RG now that I'm thinking of trying a RG only run, with no other weapons.

But with DmC you can demon dodge and get SSSSAAADISTIC style, isn't that the same? I am being mean.

Everytime I finish DMC4 I get sad over where the series is at now. I remember playing it DAY 1 (both the demo and the game) and wondered to myself just what kind of cool things Capcom could come up with in DMC5

Dahbomb

Getting all SS on DMD mode using just Royal Guard might be the hardest thing in action gaming. If you mistime one Royal Guard block then you lose the SS rank... but if you hit every block right then you can pretty much beat out most other SS rank runs because of its damage output.

Getting all SS on DMD mode using just Royal Guard might be the hardest thing in action gaming. If you mistime one Royal Guard block then you lose the SS rank... but if you hit every block right then you can pretty much beat out most other SS rank runs because of its damage output.

Has it been done before that you know of?

Dahbomb

Has it been done before that you know of?
People have done some missions with it (like 1, 2, 20.. shorter missions). Haven't seen a long mission clear with Royal Guard only... it probably has been done. Since the game has come out people have figured out new ways to beat the game and optimize their play, the level of play for DMC3 is just out of control but only the Chinese still play it. Last time I saw some high level DMC3 player was when someone trying to beat all bosses with all different type of weapon and style set ups. That is a true eye opener even for someone like me. Stuff like using Nevan's Vortex to deflect the Doppelganger bosses' projectile right back at him and then activate own Doppelganger for maximum damage. Or like deflecting Gigapede's projectiles using all sorts of different weapons and moves while riding on top of him for optimized play.

RG moves only + SS DMD would be very incredibly difficult to do because of these guys.
Enigma.gif

I never leave home without Nevan when I know I'm up against them. I'm not sure if Release works on Dullahans.

There's also M12. You're going to need all the luck in the world to get enough aggression to build up your rage meter to kill them before you die.

BadWolf

Haven't bothered much with Bloody Palace before outside of practicing Dante/Nero a little in DMC4 but decided to give it a serious try today.

First try got me to level 67 iirc. The next one to level 88. Then sort of started getting irritated and doing worse.

Then decided to give another try and to do other stuff in the middle here and there (internet, AGDQ stream etc) and managed to actually finish it. The run itself took 2 hours and 10 min in total but the overall time with all the other stuff I was doing in between was probably like 7 or 8 hours lol.

This was easily some of the most fun I've had in the genre, the combat engine was shinning so very bright.

The most annoying enemies were the Blitz, those guys who keep cutting you while you hit them and those fish-like things. The Blitz by itself wasn't so bad but when mixed with other enemies it could be annoying.

The mission towards the end where they throw like a billion
flying armor guys
at you was pretty nuts.

Ended up with an overall S rank :eek:

DMD is the only difficulty in DMC4.

I disagree for the most part about the enemies not fitting with Dante. He has the tools to handle the enemies, the thing is that Nero just has a couple of super powerful tools. Devil Bringer can put most of the basic enemies into perpetual stunned states (the Frosts are borderline non-enemies for Nero but are very fun to fight as Dante) and his Lv. 3 Charge Shot destroys/stuns everything. Dante's moveset is much more balanced. I thought they did a good job at making enemies/bosses that are fun to fight as both characters.

The only enemy that Dante fights that feels off is probably the Cutlass, which is a shit enemy that only appears in one room in the entire game anyway.

Sorry, missed this post.

I don't think its so much that Dante is more balanced but that he is a really solid character in general due to all the tools that he has. To the point where you can stick him into almost any other such action game as is and he will most probably do just fine there as well I think.

And Frosts are boring with Dante, its like fighting a wall. They just stand their and don't give two shits about what you do to them. With Nero they are fun because you can mess around and can use them as a weapon against enemies. Their wall-like AI also makes sense because you can handle it with the Devil Bringer.

Finally finished 3. Yep, still the best one.

Though, interestingly enough I didn't play with Vergil much, even though I love his moveset. I only played the first three stages over and then went into Bloody Palace, which lvl'd up DarkSlayer to 2. I felt sated. Though, there was something inherently neat about hitting an enemy with stinger to send them flying forward, and then using Trick Up and then the regular teleport to continue the beatdown since both together cover a hilarious amount of space.

FYC

Banned
Blargh, I've run into a glitch a couple of times now in DMC3(PSN version) where only audio plays during the cutscene at the end of mission 7, and I can't progress.

BadWolf

Found myself going back to DMC4 again, that gameplay.

Trying to learn Dante better but I still can't feel comfortable with him in DMD. It feels like I'm doing absolute crap damage unless I'm spamming distorted Shin Shoryuken, Straight or Pin Up.

Did end up beating the fire boss using only Royal Release though, that was fun.

malfcn

LTTP.
Picked up the collection during the last sale.

Up to the spider. The game went from easy mode to frustrating. After failing, one upgrade made it easy again. Then he comes back and kills you right away. Or you run into a door and he disappears?

This looks like it will be a fun and hellish game. Looking forward to it.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
LTTP.
Picked up the collection during the last sale.

Up to the spider. The game went from easy mode to frustrating. After failing, one upgrade made it easy again. Then he comes back and kills you right away. Or you run into a door and he disappears?

This looks like it will be a fun and hellish game. Looking forward to it.

You can either run through the door or choose to fight him.

It's up to you!

Top Bottom