• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRAGONS DOGMA 2 Has Been Announced

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I hope it turns out to be amazing, ideally a game that will leverage the strengths of its predecessor while addressing some of its most glaring shortcomings...
But that sounds more than a bit unlikely.
Not really. That's basically all Capcom is doing these days. REmake4 pushing more into horror imagery to counteract the perceived silliness of the original. RE8 adding third person. They seem more keenly aware of what fans want than ever before.

Everyone noticed Elden Ring selling record numbers. Really not much reason to be pessimistic about this.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
oJ7APcc.png

Well that's a nice jab at Elden Ring. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Georome

I know Into Free gets the most hype, but the Dark Arisen theme gets my vote.

Beneath a faltered sky;
cross loamless plains, and watered blight
Ah! Where gone those days, once Glory shone so bright?
Fallen 'neath baleful wings dark as night.
Ah! A moment give to me
Hark! Shall none hear this soul's tale, Of a land, benight?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I know Into Free gets the most hype, but the Dark Arisen theme gets my vote.

Beneath a faltered sky;
cross loamless plains, and watered blight
Ah! Where gone those days, once Glory shone so bright?
Fallen 'neath baleful wings dark as night.
Ah! A moment give to me
Hark! Shall none hear this soul's tale, Of a land, benight?

Post the full theme you coward. :lollipop_winking:

YukiOnna

Most people here seem to be assuming that the game just started development and it's long ways off.

Why? The game was in the leaks way long ago, and most probably it started development right after DMC V SE, which was two years ago, if not right after DMC V.

I would guess we could be seeing the game very soon, and I expect to do so at TGS, if just a little bit.
Which is what I've been saying. It probably has a year of mass production so we could see it next year. Itsuno's been talking about this project every now and then for a while.

TintoConCasera

Is the original worth playing today? It’s like 5$ on the Xbox store. Was thinking about it because I’ve been wanting to play this for a while
YES, for that price it's worth a shot for sure. It's a love it or hate it kinda game, but if you dive in expecting cool combat and exploration while not expecting a huge world or lots of story, then you'll be golden.

EDIT: make sure to get the DLC, it's amazing.

Last edited:

Pejo

Is the original worth playing today? It’s like 5$ on the Xbox store. Was thinking about it because I’ve been wanting to play this for a while
look at you sly devil coming into the DD2 hype thread and asking if the first game is good...

Dean Winchester Reaction GIF

So in other words, absolutely play it.

I hope one of the improvements of this game is a big increase in number and variety of vocations.

I'm also torn if I want true multiplayer in or not. Pawns are a given I think, considering that was one of the main focuses of both the first game mechanically, as well as the story of both the game and the Netflix anime. I can't wait to see what new options we'll have with them.

Still, it would occasionally be neat to jump into a friend's world and slay a chimera with them.

CamHostage

I'm glad Capcom has this engine and not the horrible MT Framework.

Whoa, whoa... who hates on MT Framework?

It ran stable, it was powerful enough to do all modern effects at the time, it could throw a ton of characters on screen at the same time, it ran on everything from high-end consoles to 3DS and Mobile (albeit through a variant designed for "lite" platforms), you could do 2D with it, it could be used to do cross-platform like EX Troopers across platforms as different as PS3 and 3DS, it still holds two generations later to make something high-end like Monster Hunter World...

Seriously, I've never heard a bad word about MT Framework, maybe you've got stories to tell because I'm genuinely surprised to hear somebody call it "horrible". I'm curious, what's your side of the conversation?

Certainly RE Engine improves things (although us gamers think of it as "better graphics", whereas when the developers talk about it, the switch is as much about efficiency and development collaboration as it is any next-gen graphical feature impossible in the past,) but RT Engine begat RE Engine. One was successful for over a decade across multiple platforms, and the general teams who made MT were called upon to make RE when it was finally time for a full rewrite. Capcom builds dependable, performative, impressive game engines, and RE is a continuation of that legacy, not IMO a course correction.

https://wccftech.com/capcom-mt-framework-monster-hunter-world/

(*BTW, it might have been catastrophic if Panta Rhei actually was the successor for Capcom, instead of RE... Although Panta was doing some amazing things with fluid simulation, global illumination, PBR, and other advancements, there is limited talk of this engine also changing the development collaboration pipeline to bring it in line with Unreal or Unity or even Crytek, and that's a big part of the production speed of RE. Ultimately, the one resulting game project running on Panta was visually flabbergasting but functionally very limited, confined to procedurally arranged corridors and caverns, no known hubworld or larger world context. It's unknown how Panta Rhei could have been applied to an open-world project like Dragon's Dogma 2; maybe it would have worked? Maybe not? Luckily, RE Engine has proved itself in its stead and now it's easy to trust that the engine will deliver.)

Last edited:

Yerd

Absolutely. Start in Hardest difficulty. That was suggested to me when I first played and it was a good tip.
Dark Arisen is also 6 bucks on Steam for anyone who wants to grab it. Great traditional fantasy title and the jump between DA and 2 will be huge.
There are also a couple graphical mods out there, that at this point I forget what they were. But texture and ENB type stuff, I would recommend at least searching for.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Blessed be th RE Engine yeah. Seeing MH Rise on the switch felt like a miracle back then, amazing optimization.

My only worry is the possible change on art style and presentation that might come with switching engines. I wouldn't like if the sequel looked grimmier or more serious than the first one because of that.

That feels like a weird take, that Dragon's Dogma isn't grimy or serious? DD was a pretty "real" vision of a high-fantasy world for a Japanese development team, much less colorful and stylized and brightly-lit than is typically the case. Just looking at some of the first visuals that come up on a Google Image search, I would say that there's deliberately a move away from that "Capcom feel" in Dragon's Dogma.

ss_0f5f5b13771df932d5f45a378184f3110bdc8c72.1920x1080.jpg
ss_30ea02f49950fdc3a1b0dab358776f0779c643c7.600x338.jpg

Capcom did change the look of the game a bit in the upgraded "next-gen" version, adding additional lighting effects and redoing many textures (yet not really changing the modeling.) That IMO was a bit haphazard of a change and as far as I know was not universally considered a positive change (though the framerate was better and overall it might not have been as drastic as this shot shows?) I would certainly prefer a more cohesive graphical style than the remaster, but the remaster didn't change things that drastically, and I'm expecting the sequel to probably have a fairly down-in-the-dungeon/up-in-the-muckfields look to it as with the first game.

maxresdefault.jpg

(*BTW, looking at Monster Hunter Rise, I'd say it's all positives ahead for DD, as that game has tons of color and presentational style yet uses high-quality effects and modern rendering techniques plus runs well on both Switch and high-end PC.)

Last edited:

Shifty

Yes do it.

Absolutely. Start in Hardest difficulty. That was suggested to me when I first played and it was a good tip.
For the sake of balance... Only do this you enjoy being on the painful end of a subtractive damage system.
Even with some bonus levels exploited from an early trip to the endgame DLC area, the first major encounter in the base game will one-shot a fresh character.

Mod-wise, I'll add a recommendation for Don't Blind Me. Some common glow effects like the lantern and spell charging are really intense by default, and DBM tones them down to improve visibility during nighttime combat.

Last edited:

Juras

That feels like a weird take, that Dragon's Dogma isn't grimy or serious? DD was a pretty "real" vision of a high-fantasy world for a Japanese development team, much less colorful and stylized than is typically the case. Just looking at some of the first visuals that come up on a Google Image search, I would say that there's deliberately a move away from that "Capcom feel" in Dragon's Dogma.

ss_0f5f5b13771df932d5f45a378184f3110bdc8c72.1920x1080.jpg
ss_30ea02f49950fdc3a1b0dab358776f0779c643c7.600x338.jpg

Capcom did change the look of the game a bit in the upgraded "next-gen" version, adding additional lighting effects and redoing many textures (yet not really changing the modeling.) That IMO was a bit haphazard of a change and as far as I know was not universally considered a positive change (though the framerate was better and overall it might not have been as drastic as this shot shows? I would certainly prefer a more cohesive graphical style than the remaster, but I'm expecting the sequel to have a fairly down-in-the-dungeon/up-in-the-muckfields look to it as with the first game.

(*BTW, looking at Monster Hunter Rise, I'd say it's all positives ahead for DD, as that game has tons of color and presentational style yet runs well on everything from Switch to high-end PC.)

maxresdefault.jpg
This comparison is hightly manipulated by difference in time of day/weather condition and maybe quality/brightness/contrast set up.

PS3:
lO78oLW.jpg

PS4:
q7o25QC.png

I find it hard to put into words why Dragons Dogma stuck with me so much. I remember counting down the days waiting for release and feeling like one of the only people I knew that gave a shit about it. I just hope they keep the darkness and lantern. Man what a vibe. My only issue with the first was the size of its world. Just do Dragons Dogma 1 with better graphics and a huge diverse world and i'll be happy. I really hope this is coming next year. I really can't wait any longer
This game needs to be a few years out.
Make lightning raytraced, make it as good looking as "project awakening"
I Like Yes GIF by Saturday Night Live

BossLackey

Gold Member
So fucking hyped. Legit didn't think it was gonna happen, but I'm very glad I was wrong. DD is incredibly underrated.

Sentenza

Not really. That's basically all Capcom is doing these days. REmake4 pushing more into horror imagery to counteract the perceived silliness of the original. RE8 adding third person. They seem more keenly aware of what fans want than ever before.

Everyone noticed Elden Ring selling record numbers. Really not much reason to be pessimistic about this.
I'm not sure what ANY of that has to with outselling Elden Ring, which does STILL sound more than a bit unlikely, as I already said.

EDIT- Ok, I just noticed you wrote "surpass" rather than "outsell", which does have more than one interpretation.
I guess you could mean it as "surpass in quality".

Still not particularly likely, I'd guess, but far more easily achieved than outselling it.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I'm not sure what ANY of that has to with outselling Elden Ring, which does STILL sound more than a bit unlikely, as I already said.

EDIT- Ok, I just noticed you wrote "surpass" rather than "outsell", which does have more than one interpretation.
I guess you could mean it as "surpass in quality".

Still not particularly likely, I'd guess, but far more easily achieved than outselling it.
Gameplay wise I'm quite sure it'll top Elden Ring. Hell, the first DD already does it imo, at least when it comes to the combat.

Content wise... we'll see.

Last edited:

Reyziak

Hopefully they get the band that made Into Free back to do a theme for this, because that song was great, and it should have never been patched out because some people couldn't handle a fantasy game having a J-Rock theme instead of some generic medieval stuff.

Reactions: Isa

Aenima

Finally!!! This was my most wanted game from Capcom since i played Dark Arisen back in the PS3. Even with the terrible frame rate the game had, it was still one of my favorite RPGs of all time.

Hope we can also create a Pawn like in the 1st one.

stickkidsam

This comparison is hightly manipulated by difference in time of day/weather condition and maybe quality/brightness/contrast set up.

PS3:
lO78oLW.jpg

PS4:
q7o25QC.png
I feel like the next gen lighting is just too harsh. Something I notice a lot with modern lighting is that things are either REALLY dark or REALLY bright.

I'm no tech wiz though. Is it just hard to make different shades within the same environment?

This game needs to be a few years out.
Make lightning raytraced, make it as good looking as "project awakening"
I Like Yes GIF by Saturday Night Live
GlossyPlushBangeltiger-size_restricted.gif

That game dead or can I still hope?

CamHostage

I feel like the next gen lighting is just too harsh. Something I notice a lot with modern lighting is that things are either REALLY dark or REALLY bright.

I'm no tech wiz though. Is it just hard to make different shades within the same environment?

There are for sure mistakes made where, when a game can do "realistic" lighting, they let it do it; and there are cases where gamers want flashier, bulletpoint-on-the-box effects added to a game (especially a remaster), and the developers do what they think is called for. I'm not sure if that's the case with the remastered Dragon's Dogma 1 or if the comparison was just overdone and in contextually different lighting scenarios (that screenshot above has the knight walking under clouds in one shot and in broad daylight in the other, despite otherwise being the same framing and elements.) Overall though, it doesn't seem to be that different, and it's more the PS3 simplicity of the assets (despite the improved textures and effects) that's making some problems with the visuals. I would assume most would still say to play the remaster (or the Switch release), not the original.

In respect of modern lighting, some of that REALLY dark / REALLY bright graphics in modern games comes down to HDR, and assumptions that lots of people have it (despite the fact that lots and lots of people don't.) And then it's a matter of taste, as people like to see lighting effects play over graphics and so they shadows and highlights can be dialed in too dark/bright so they stand out, for better or worse. DMC5 didn't need to look like somebody forgot to turn the lights on most of the time, but it was cool that way. (Dragon's Dogma 1 itself was notable for its night/cavern scenes being incredibly stark-dark, adding in little of the blue-for-night coloring we're used to in game graphics.) So it's not the engine so much as it's the engine allowing developers to overuse the engine, maybe? You can do high-contrast or low-contrast lighting in games, and your game will run just fine either way.

And again, with Monster Hunter Rise being an example for what can be done with RE Engine for a game like Dragon's Dogma 2, there's plenty of evidence in MH Rise that Capcom can do bright and colorful and evenly-shaded with RE Engine just as well as dark and moody and murky and shadow. (In fact, I think MH Rise might be less contrasty than MH World, despite that Rise runs in the newer RE and World is on stalwart MT Framework.) They should have all the tools needed to pick their preferred visual style for the DD sequel.

(Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen PC left/top,
________________________________________________Monster Hunter Rise PC right/bottom.)

ss_38a4e23052bbb0d144128ee4f2d1940b5e1d422f.jpg
ss_3f1a758231a78ab3cdd76c2f8f04d5bbec45faeb.jpg

Last edited:

DavidGzz

I'm trying to forget about this game because I feel like it's years away but this thread keeps getting bumped and I keep returning for that sweet hype...

Last edited:
Most people here seem to be assuming that the game just started development and it's long ways off.

Why? The game was in the leaks way long ago, and most probably it started development right after DMC V SE, which was two years ago, if not right after DMC V.

I would guess we could be seeing the game very soon, and I expect to do so at TGS, if just a little bit.
Will probably be at a Sony show maybe even the next big one rumored to be in July August or September.Capcom and Sony know how much this game is loved in the west,so they probably would want the best way to annuace it would be a Sony show for maximum exposure.

Absolutely it my be not so nice to look at it anymore because it’s a ps3 era game but it’s one of the best rpgs ever give it a try

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Bethesda showed more than this about TES 6 4 years ago. We already knew it from Nvidia leaks. I expected more from this announcement. I hope it's not in early stages of development.

Kimahri

Banned
In fact I bought it a few months after its release and it's a good game, but underestimated by the journalism gamers... now the hypocrites of IGN and more of them praise the game :messenger_expressionless::messenger_unamused:.
What are you talking about? It's got a metacritic circling 80. The critics liked it, it's the public that didn't catch on till later.

TintoConCasera

What are you talking about? It's got a metacritic circling 80. The critics liked it, it's the public that didn't catch on till later.
could the metascore be influenced by rereleases or the Dark Arisen DLC? I remember the game being bashed by critics back then, because they said it was "a worse japanese Skyrim".

TintoConCasera

I think I haven't been this excited for a game since, I dunno, high school? Game is still far far away and I can already feel how painful the days rioght before release are gonna be. :goog_relieved:

Bethesda showed more than this about TES 6 4 years ago. We already knew it from Nvidia leaks. I expected more from this announcement. I hope it's not in early stages of development.
This announcement, or digital event as they called it, was something more for the fans than anything else. A chance to reminisce about the first game and it's development process.
Which I liked a lot, it was fun seeing those guys show so much passion and love for what they created while sharing some trivia about it.

If they wanted a common proper announcement they could have done it at the Capcom Showcase or, as I hope, later this year at TGS.
Itsuno has been teasing his "secret new project" for a long time, and now that he's confirmed the secret project being DD2 I would expect to see some actual gameplay sooner rather than later.

That's funny. I remember my initial impression being "oh it's Skyrim but fun"
Haha, for sure! Game might be smaller, but what's there oozes more soul and fun than anything in Skyrim, which is a cool game too ofc but I just find the gameplay in Dragon's Dogma to be much more fun to play.

Back when it released I had no job nor money, and I was really jealous of the people who got to play the game on their consoles. Years later I could redeem myself with the PC version and man, the wait was worth it.

Jeeves

Back when it released I had no job nor money, and I was really jealous of the people who got to play the game on their consoles. Years later I could redeem myself with the PC version and man, the wait was worth it.
Good eye, to have been excited about it upon release. It was definitely not on my radar because I tend to hate medieval/high fantasy settings in any media, with very few exceptions. Dragon's Dogma has become the most notable exception, because it's just so fun. I think the way people were talking about it on podcasts got me interested enough to check it out on PS+.

It's just got that bit of Japanese action game flair to it that sets it apart from western games. For me, it also helps that I can use JP voices to be spared from hearing ye olde English.

recursive

Imagine announcing DD2 and not announcing a 60 fps patch for DD1 on console despite next gen consoles being available and knowing how shitty 30 fps is for a game like this. "We love our fans and are happy to announce DD2" but enjoy that 30 fps"
Play it on pc. 144fps is great in this game. Keyboard and mouse controls were pretty good too.

TintoConCasera

Just bought the first one for under $5 on Xbox. Hoping I like it
Get the DLC too, it's amazing. You can do that after you beat the game tho, as it's meant to be done post-game.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Whoa, whoa... who hates on MT Framework?

It ran stable, it was powerful enough to do all modern effects at the time, it could throw a ton of characters on screen at the same time, it ran on everything from high-end consoles to 3DS and Mobile (albeit through a variant designed for "lite" platforms), you could do 2D with it, it could be used to do cross-platform like EX Troopers across platforms as different as PS3 and 3DS, it still holds two generations later to make something high-end like Monster Hunter World...

Seriously, I've never heard a bad word about MT Framework, maybe you've got stories to tell because I'm genuinely surprised to hear somebody call it "horrible". I'm curious, what's your side of the conversation?

Certainly RE Engine improves things (although us gamers think of it as "better graphics", whereas when the developers talk about it, the switch is as much about efficiency and development collaboration as it is any next-gen graphical feature impossible in the past,) but RT Engine begat RE Engine. One was successful for over a decade across multiple platforms, and the general teams who made MT were called upon to make RE when it was finally time for a full rewrite. Capcom builds dependable, performative, impressive game engines, and RE is a continuation of that legacy, not IMO a course correction.

https://wccftech.com/capcom-mt-framework-monster-hunter-world/

(*BTW, it might have been catastrophic if Panta Rhei actually was the successor for Capcom, instead of RE... Although Panta was doing some amazing things with fluid simulation, global illumination, PBR, and other advancements, there is limited talk of this engine also changing the development collaboration pipeline to bring it in line with Unreal or Unity or even Crytek, and that's a big part of the production speed of RE. Ultimately, the one resulting game project running on Panta was visually flabbergasting but functionally very limited, confined to procedurally arranged corridors and caverns, no known hubworld or larger world context. It's unknown how Panta Rhei could have been applied to an open-world project like Dragon's Dogma 2; maybe it would have worked? Maybe not? Luckily, RE Engine has proved itself in its stead and now it's easy to trust that the engine will deliver.)

More because of the visual style and some fire and smoke effects that were shown in DMC and Lost planet... also they used this engine in the dark times where capcom was lowering their quality in showing games.

Those are my reasons that I have never liked the MT Framework... more because of the artistic style of Street Fighter

SSfox

I don't understand, why now the public has the hype at 1000%, if when it came out on PS3 and even with the DLC, neither the public nor the press took it into account at its launch?

Maybe it's just an impression. Since social media wasn't as big back then.

Last edited:
Top Bottom