• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom explains why they dropped MT Framework in favor of RE Engine

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The same logic here applies to why they're licensing engines like Unreal Engine 4 and Unity for other games.

It's all about tools and development efficiency, along with being able to have much more detailed control of various aspects of the game for reasons like performance and visual quality.

Capcom said:
Up to now, Capcom had built MT Framework, an innovative proprietary development engine used to make high-quality games. However, conventional engine specs were insufficient for bringing the realistic world pursued by creators in RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard (hereinafter, RESIDENT EVIL 7) to life. Thus, this time we ended up simultaneously working on the development of both the game and the new RE ENGINE.

The main feature of the RE ENGINE is its ability to dramatically reduce the time required for various game development processes. For example, the time required to test program changes has been reduced 90%, and materials made separately by creators can be combined in real time, which enables them to be used to instantly create other materials.

This engine also supports the high-resolution graphics required for VR compatibility at a rate of 60 frames per second. We faced numerous difficulties in trying to make these features a reality, however the team pulled together as one to make it happen.

Creating an interesting game should not be hindered by development engine constraints. If an artist expresses a desire to do something, the engine must evolve to make it happen. For this reason, all of us on the engine development team work in constant close contact with the game development team to promote improvements. This kind of flexibility can only be achieved through in-house production and is connected to enhancing Capcom quality.

I hope everyone will stop to admire the overwhelming high-quality of RESIDENT EVIL 7, the first title created using the RE ENGINE.
Capcom: Tell us about RE ENGINE.

Capcom: RE ENGINE is our proprietary engine and utilizes an asset-based development approach that has been predominant for several years in North America. Under a conventional game development approach, programs used to manage all of the information in a game; however, since information is packed into things such as backgrounds and characters, asset-based development is more effective because it lets you manage or make detailed modifications at the asset level. Our RE ENGINE includes everything that we need to develop games for next-generation consoles and is also optimized for VR game development.

Capcom: So, as you say, it's efficient. Can you give us a specific example of what the engine is useful for?

Capcom: For one thing, it is useful for enabling VR. In a VR game, the screen must be refreshed at a speed of at least 60 frames per second to prevent the player from getting motion sickness. And maintaining the processing necessary for 60 frames per second requires sophisticated control over the level of quality in the game. With a conventional engine, programmers identify and modify each problem while considering the effect overall. This is quite a burdensome task. Asset-based control, on the other hand, enables us to control the quality by substituting objects that impose high loads with objects that impose lighter loads. The ability exert control on an individual object-basis is a great advantage.

Capcom: How did you structure development or organize the team?

Capcom: The development structure of RESIDENT EVIL 7 depended deeply on RE ENGINE. Although we call it an engine, in reality it's more than a tool; it's something that supports our entire development environment. It's a big system that dictates how we make and think about each part of development. So when dividing the development team into groups, we didn't use traditional groupings based on roles such as design, sound and programming; rather, we divided the team according to the scenes in the game, and these groups swiftly adapted in accordance to how development progressed.
Source: http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/interview/2016/vol03/

DOWN

Banned
Seriously no mention of Panta Rhei?

6S6xP2w.gif

SkylineRKR

Panta Rhei is worse than dead. They flat out ignore its very existence. Its like they went from MT Framework to this one.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Given the size and complexity of contemporary AAA projects, tool quality, short round-trip times and general developer efficiency are certainly the most important factor. Especially when you hear stories about how long it takes some developers to execute a simple change in gameplay parameters or level design.

ianpm31

This engine will help Capcom a ton. Budget's will be reduced and I bet Capcom is already satisfied with the sales of RE7

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
It's all interesting to me. We definitely will be seeing more of the RE engine in the future and I'd be surprised if they don't build on it further for future projects.

And people need to accept Panta Rhei is dead. I bet the engine had some serious issues, and I would even bet RE Engine came out of the ashes in Panta Rhei. IE, RE Engine essentially IS Panta Rhei.

Grief.exe

Is there any proof to show this isn't just an upgraded MT Framework? Engines and tools are expensive, I'd be surprised to see that this engine came from no where.

Also, 60 Fps is terrible for VR, though I'm assuming they are referring to PSVR which, I believe, 'doubles' the frame rate through proprietary smoothing.

It'll be interesting to see what other titles end up utilizing it as Capcom already confirmed RE7 isn't the only game in development that uses it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Is this engine going to be the main one for Capcom? If so does Switch support it?

Well, it's called "RE Engine", which is a little less general than MT Engine.

I suspect they'll keep using a mix of RE Engine, Unreal Engine, and Unity based on the project.

It'll be interesting to see what other titles end up utilizing it as Capcom already confirmed RE7 isn't the only game in development that uses it.
Given the name, presumably Resident Evil 2's remake also uses it.

robotrock

Banned
Is there any proof to show this isn't just an upgraded MT Framework? Engines and tools are expensive, I'd be surprised to see that this engine came from no where.

Also, 60 Fps is terrible for VR, though I'm assuming they are referring to PSVR which, I believe, 'doubles' the frame rate through proprietary smoothing.

yeah PSVR's doubling magic works well

think oculus was talking game about some space warp stuff that could potentially make games that run at 45fps still feel smooth in VR? idk

Gren

I loved MT Framework.

RE7 has some ugly textures, but that's not indicative of the engine (I think). At least it doesn't seem to have the aggressive pop-in that later versions of MTF did.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

I suspect they'll keep using a mix of RE Engine, Unreal Engine, and Unity based on the project.

FYI, I talked to someone at Capcom about the RE Engine once before, not this much in depth as the article above, but APPARENTLY the RE in the RE Engine does NOT actually stand for Resident Evil, like many would assume.

BadWolf

Well Fox Engine was used in Konami's soccer game so I wouldn't rule other series out just because of the name.

Agreed but I think they are using it for more than just RE titles despite the name. It seems to be a good fast rendering engine that they don't have to pay any licensing fees for since it's in house. I'm betting you will see several titles over the course of this generation use it in some capacity

BadWolf

FYI, I talked to someone at Capcom about the RE Engine once before, not this much in depth as the article above, but APPARENTLY the RE in the RE Engine does NOT actually stand for Resident Evil, like many would assume.

Interesting, hopefully they don't intend to keep it a secret.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Well Fox Engine was used in Konami's soccer game so I wouldn't rule other series out just because of the name. \

So more generally, Capcom has four divisions.

Division 1 is Jun Takeuchi's division, and was hoping to have VR enabled in most of their games. I would expect all (or at least most) of their games to use RE Engine.

Division 2 is the online division that handles both mobile games and service titles like fighting games or Dragon's Dogma Online. They tend to use Unreal and Unity.

Division 3 is the smaller games for Japan division. It's unclear what they intend to use, since they're still mostly on 3DS.

The fourth division makes games for Asia and consists of a lot of licensing, so their licensing partners choose the technology.

I'm not sure which division Capcom Vancouver is under (it's either 1 or 2), but they're using Unreal Engine 4 going forward.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Even though i'm glad they found a few engines to stick with, i want to know about what happened to Panty Raid.

legacyzero

Banned
My only complaint is the texture streaming. RE7 would some times take up to 10 seconds to load a texture that's right in front of your face.

robotrock

Banned
I want to say Monster Hunter with RE engine but foliage and open environment look so bad in RE7...

when monster hunter switch comes out and looks how it will look, it won't be because of the engine
My only complaint is the texture streaming. RE7 would some times take up to 10 seconds to load a texture that's right in front of your face.

I hear the PSVR version cuts the resolution a ton every time a new area is loading in to maintain framerate

BadWolf

So more generally, Capcom has four divisions.

Division 1 is Jun Takeuchi's division, and was hoping to have VR enabled in most of their games. I would expect all (or at least most) of their games to use RE Engine.

Division 2 is the online division that handles both mobile games and service titles like fighting games or Dragon's Dogma Online. They tend to use Unreal and Unity.

Division 3 is the smaller games for Japan division. It's unclear what they intend to use, since they're still mostly on 3DS.

The fourth division makes games for Asia and consists of a lot of licensing, so their licensing partners choose the technology.

I'm not sure which division Capcom Vancouver is under (it's either 1 or 2), but they're using Unreal Engine 4 going forward.

Which division would Itsuno/DMC5 be under?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Which division would Itsuno/DMC5 be under?

1 or 2.

It's hard to say. They both make bigger budget console games, and it primarily seems to be a distinction about whether they're online heavy or not, as well as whether or not they want to hand the game to Yoshinori Ono or Jun Takeuchi to produce.

A lot of the Dragon's Dogma staff ended up in Division 2 due to Dragon's Dogma Online, though the nature of the game might fit Division 1 better.

BadWolf

1 or 2.

It's hard to say. They both make bigger budget console games, and it primarily seems to be a distinction about whether they're online heavy or not, as well as whether or not they want to hand the game to Yoshinori Ono or Jun Takeuchi to produce.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The next RE game likely won't take anywhere near as long now that they have the engine and workflow down. I wager 2019-20

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The next RE game likely won't take anywhere near as long now that they have the engine and workflow down. I wager 2019-20

IIRC this one was actually only around 2.5-3 years anyway. They just didn't start actually making it for a while due to getting their tech foundations up and deciding what to do while the staff worked on other projects.

Vibranium

Banned
RE2make will be using it for sure. I'd imagine the textures might be better in that game since if it is in 3rd person Capcom would probably want to target 30FPS on consoles.

Looking forward to seeing Birkin's forms in this engine.

Bl@de

Performance is fantastic so I'm all for it. Just add higher quality textures next time :p Some stuff is very blurry.

Cubed

This engine hopefully means we get RE8 by early 2019. I'm ready for it already!

Use RE2 to fill the gap by giving that to us in about a year.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
RE2make will be using it for sure. I'd imagine the textures might be better in that game since if it is in 3rd person Capcom would probably want to target 30FPS on consoles.

Looking forward to seeing Birkin's forms in this engine.

Would be dope if they did pre-rendered backgrounds and put all the processing power into the character models.

Neonep

We will really get the answer to any engine questions with Capcom from whatever Itsuno is working on. That's basically the canary in the coal mine.

Vinc

I find RE7 to be really technically sound. And while the lower budget shows, I feel like they get a lot more mileage out of the money they spend from a presentation standpoint. The lack of big setpieces and action sequences allows for a great, polished presentation on a smaller scale, which I prefer anyway. RE7 feels like a complete homerun as far as I'm concerned, and I'd like to see them keep going in the same direction for a while. If we get a horror game of this caliber every 2-3 years, I'll personally be very satisfied.

Top Bottom