• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom explains why they dropped MT Framework in favor of RE Engine

Rymuth

Rest in peace, MT Framework. You've had a long career. What a trooper.

Goodbye and good riddance, Panta Rhei.

The main feature of the RE ENGINE is its ability to dramatically reduce the time required for various game development processes. For example, the time required to test program changes has been reduced 90%, and materials made separately by creators can be combined in real time, which enables them to be used to instantly create other materials.
This is good to hear. Hopefully, Capcom can churn out more games as they transition from this gen to the next.

muteki

Hopefully REmake 2 is as close in style and quality as possible to the first Remake.

Screw VR.

Yeah I'm all for VR anywhere and everywhere possible but this is one case where I hope they don't use it and stick to what they did for the first game.

robotrock

Banned
what's with the obsession of pre rendered backgrounds? wouldn't it be better if they were rendered in real time in the next REmake? they should be able to have the same camera angles too

Seyavesh

huh, so RE engine is going to be the new standard engine goin' on from now?

curious to see what kinda stuff it can turn out beyond RE7- that game has a pretty limited scope in terms of closed environments and low enemy counts. at the very least it seems like it's just as insanely optimized as MT framework so i'm really excited to see what gets done with it

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
yeah PSVR's doubling magic works well

think oculus was talking game about some space warp stuff that could potentially make games that run at 45fps still feel smooth in VR? idk

The Oculus ASW stuff has been live for a while and indeed works. So much so that they lowered their min spec for the Rift.

Unreal

Seriously no mention of Panta Rhei?

6S6xP2w.gif

What's Panta Rhei ? What's Deep Down ?

It's a pretty solid engine, but I hope for the next game they can work on loading times, texture resolution and texture streaming. Honestly the Texture streaming issues are my biggest issue.

robotrock

Banned
The Oculus ASW stuff has been live for a while and indeed works. So much so that they lowered their min spec for the Rift.

Is there a minimum framerate they recommend now with the lower specs? I know it used to be 90fps, but do they say "45 will fly" now?

Yeah I'm all for VR anywhere and everywhere possible but this is one case where I hope they don't use it and stick to what they did for the first game.

The game could work quite well in VR even without a shift to First Person. The same static, third person cameras would actually work quite well in VR and add a ton to the experience.

robotrock

Banned
The game could work quite well in VR even without a shift to First Person. The same static, third person cameras would actually work quite well in VR and add a ton to the experience.

a diorama thing would be cool. I think it'd be neat if they got rid of pre rendered backgrounds to ensure it could work in first person and they could offer multiple ways to play in VR.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Seriously no mention of Panta Rhei?

Capcom's Panty Raid failed before it even started.

Also Nirolak, I'm not seeing any reason for them dropping MT Framework beyond "LOL VR LOL" in that. I mean the reasons they give for the new engine are alright, but I'm not seeing anything that is "we couldn't do this on MT Frameworks or Unreal Engine, so we made our own engine again like MT Frameworks." Maybe I need to click through to the article...

Newboi

what's with the obsession of pre rendered backgrounds? wouldn't it be better if they were rendered in real time in the next REmake? they should be able to have the same camera angles too

They definitely would be able to use real time environments and keep the same camera angles (like Code Veronica and RE 3.5). I think the overall draw of using pre-rendered environments is the same as what made REmake so stunning when it first released on Gamecube. Going pre-rendered allows developers to create backgrounds that look much higher quality visually than the machine can actually render in real time. This also frees up the hardware for developers to put all of the engine's might on Character model detail, object detail, and effects.

I'd personally be interested in seeing what the PS4 can achieve visually when the developers don't have to worry about rendering the entire environment as well. The draw back of pre-rendered backgrounds is that overall game pacing has to be balanced not only based on the map layout, but the angle of each background. There's also the issue that having not having 3D environments removes the possibility fun extra modes, like playing in first person, or 3rd person over-the-shoulder.

Neonep

Whatever Itsuno is working on will probably show how good whatever engine he is using is and will push it's limits. Resident Evil is less chaotic than Devil May Cry.

VR is the best part of RE7, so I'm gonna have to disagree with ya there. Sounds like you haven't tried it.

VR at its current fidelity and tech requirements still puts some restraints on gameplay and graphics that can be achieved compared to other AAA games. It also necessitates tight control over things like FOV and camera movement/speed.

If it's all the same, I hope REmake 2 is done in 3rd person, with no compromises in graphics or gameplay made for VR.

Tain

Hopefully REmake 2 is as close in style and quality as possible to the first Remake.

Screw VR.

VR at its current fidelity and tech requirements still puts some restraints on gameplay and graphics that can be achieved compared to other AAA games. It also necessitates tight control over things like FOV and camera movement/speed.

If it's all the same, I hope REmake 2 is done in 3rd person, with no compromises in graphics or gameplay made for VR.

Chronos is one of the very best VR games and makes it pretty obvious that third-person fixed camera angles work great in VR. It even has vaguely Biohazard-style puzzles.

If REmake 2 is going to have polygonal environments and fixed camera angles (like Code Veronica), VR support would be relatively low-effort.

robotrock

Banned
Chronos is one of the very best VR games and makes it pretty obvious that third-person fixed camera angles work great in VR. It even has vaguely Biohazard-style puzzles.

If REmake 2 is going to have polygonal environments and fixed camera angles (like Code Veronica), VR support would be relatively low-effort.
Yeah forgot about Chronos. totally does work super well. sometimes I had a hard time seeing what was going on when the character was far away from the camera, but otherwise it's tight

robotrock

Banned
Shadow's on high, that other Shadow setting off

Like I said, NEAR MAX

Dude what res? At 1080p, My 970 would drop from 60fps sometimes with those settings + disabled TAA in exchange for FXAA as well as dropped texture res from very high to high.

Gonna test it with vsync off to get some unlocked numbers.

edit: yeah your settings net me 90fps at most but tons of stutters and frame drops and crap

I still find it surprising Capcom thinks its worth their investment to make their own engines vs licensing Unreal. Take all of the "Then all games look the same!" arguments out of it, its just super expensive and time consuming to make an engine. EA inherited theres from DICE (its also very good and EA is very large to support it). Capcom does not have that scale.

SkylineRKR

i was really impressed with their usage of MT Framework with Lost Planet.

MT Framework is impressive on the whole. DMC4 and Dead Rising IQ are still pretty much flawless. It also handled fighters like MvC3 well. Very versatile engine and Capcom's output during the early 360 days was exceptional for a Japanese developer.

Tain

I still find it surprising Capcom thinks its worth their investment to make their own engines vs licensing Unreal. Take all of the "Then all games look the same!" arguments out of it, its just super expensive and time consuming to make an engine. EA inherited theres from DICE (its also very good and EA is very large to support it). Capcom does not have that scale.

The "all games look the same" argument is pretty BS anyway.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
IIRC this one was actually only around 2.5-3 years anyway. They just didn't start actually making it for a while due to getting their tech foundations up and deciding what to do while the staff worked on other projects.
Wonder if they originally were planning on making an RE game with Panta Rhei before it disappeared?

Would be dope if they did pre-rendered backgrounds and put all the processing power into the character models.
Pre-rendered backgrounds would really go against the workflow they established with this engine.

Fisty

Sounds like you haven't tried classic RE.

That's what most fans want from REmake 2.

Lol yep never played a classic RE game, nope never not once lmao. But seriously, tell me you've played RE7 VR and I will concede.

If it's just going to be a reskin of a 20 year old game, what's the point? People want REmake 2, but the only reasons REmake was so close to RE1 is Mikami and only having one gen separate the original and remake. Kamiya isn't there to say "this is how I wanted it"

Yeah but it's not like RE7 VR looks worse than RE2, or worse than REmake HD even. It can be in VR and still look amazingly better than both of those games. And VR putting more restraints on the gameplay? RE2 had such constrained gameplay, I don't think you could add any more if you tried.

Calabi

Capcom: RE ENGINE is our proprietary engine and utilizes an asset-based development approach that has been predominant for several years in North America. Under a conventional game development approach, programs used to manage all of the information in a game; however, since information is packed into things such as backgrounds and characters, asset-based development is more effective because it lets you manage or make detailed modifications at the asset level.

I'm probably really stupid but I dont understand what this means. What programs normally manage the data? It just sounds like dynamic lod's.

Lulubop

Dude what res? At 1080p, My 970 would drop from 60fps sometimes with those settings + disabled TAA in exchange for FXAA as well as dropped texture res from very high to high.

Gonna test it with vsync off to get some unlocked numbers.

edit: yeah your settings net me 90fps at most but tons of stutters and frame drops and crap

did you get the new Nvidia driver? I was getting stuttering till I got it,

Astral Dog

I assume its going to be used for DMC as the engine prioritizes 60fps and while an MT framework sequel would look beautiful the REngine is the newest tech from Capcom and supposedly 40% more efficient

My only complaint is the texture streaming. RE7 would some times take up to 10 seconds to load a texture that's right in front of your face.

Yeah, it looks and runs great, at least on PS4Pro. But, it can take crazy long to load in full textures sometimes. There was a point where I was just staring at a picture on a wall in disbelief that it looked so bad. Then suddenly it looked good. Must have taken a good 10 seconds to load in. Gave me some Rage launch nostalgia.

Top Bottom