• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil's Third |OT| A game made of liquor with perfect bald man. He is cool.

How's the online population right now? How easy is it to get into a match?

There's only one rating on the Eshop right now (though Devil's Third isn't even on the front page).

Ozium

Damn I need to get this but with the holidays approaching I don't have much money I hope it's still around after xmas this shit is gonna be a hard to find GEM come spring

you guys enjoying it?

I kinda want to get this but I can't see myself paying more than the GCU price ($47.99 before tax) for this.

Gonna hold out and hope Best Buy gets more copies in...

There's so much that is kinda terrible about this game (at least on Normal so far - the way most enemies just sort of stand in place and wait for you to shoot them, the way the first boss mostly does the same, big open areas with nothing to really do in them, etc.), but I kinda love it in spite of it. Maybe even because of it?

It's a shame, because the general idea and most of the execution of the combat is pretty fluid. You can go from slicing a guy one second to shooting a guy yards away in first person in a snap. It's just that none of that feels very good.

So, yeah. Make no mistake, it's not a good game. But I'm really enjoying it all the same.

Long live the B-Tier.

fernoca

you guys enjoying it?
Yeah.
It may not be as polished, but it does remind me of the Ninja Gaiden game on Xbox. Though Ivan jumps considerably less (much more real), he's fast, especially with blades, love the blade! :p

I've died a ton just because I say "fuck it" and go all melee, instead of using rifles or any gun.

There's so much that is kinda terrible about this game (at least on Normal so far - the way most enemies just sort of stand in place and wait for you to shoot them, the way the first boss mostly does the same, big open areas with nothing to really do in them, etc.), but I kinda love it in spite of it. Maybe even because of it?

It's a shame, because the general idea and most of the execution of the combat is pretty fluid. You can go from slicing a guy one second to shooting a guy yards away in first person in a snap. It's just that none of that feels very good.

So, yeah. Make no mistake, it's not a good game. But I'm really enjoying it all the same.

Long live the B-Tier.

Ohh it's good. It's soooo good it's bad, then sliced, then decapitated, then good again, and while you wiggle on the ground in pain from everything Ivan does, he just wants to drink or smoke cause he truly gives zero fucks about all the killing he just did.

Ohh it's good. It's soooo good it's bad, then sliced, then decapitated, then good again, and while you wiggle on the ground in pain from everything Ivan does, he just wants to drink or smoke cause he truly gives zero fucks about all the killing he just did.

I don't know why the second mission constantly offers you melee weapons when you start with the katana. That thing is just so satisfying to use.

Sad to see the servers aren't working yet. I was already sold on the dumb story of a killer Russian guy, but the multiplayer looked like a blast.

Maybe the servers were tied to the same budget as the game's advertising :(

(Guys this is a game where almost any headshot or even body shot results in the enemy's head flying about 10 feet straight into the air in a geyser of blood before it rolls around and disappears. This game is alright.)

Long live the B-Tier.
It is mechanically very sound and responsive, but yeah, it falls into the same pitfalls that a lot of other games do when they try and combine multiple separate gameplay styles into one (shooter and stealth gameplay, for instance). The resources required to make both happen and work cohesively means some compromises have to be made to the feel and depth of those mechanics. The design of various encounters during the campaign don't really help much either since you'll be forced into doing one or the other almost exclusively (unless you play on Casual in which case you have so much leeway to do whatever while taking a huge amount of pain).

But goddammit, they tried their best, and their efforts feel more endearing than not so that's why it's enjoyable.

Wait, the servers aren't up yet?

Also it's kind of fucked up how the number of players is listed as 1-5 in the Eshop even though it's 1-16 and there is no mode that restricts to 5 players.

But goddammit, they tried their best, and their efforts feel more endearing than not so that's why it's enjoyable.

Yup, that's exactly why I can't fault it, and probably why I'm enjoying it way more than I ought to be. It's broken and messy, but it feels novel, and that's not something I can say about most of the best games I've played this year.

Plus, I'm actually genuinely kinda enjoying the story? I was expecting nothing but I'm actually interested in seeing where it goes. Its sense of humor is pretty good, too. Dumb, but appreciably so.

God I've missed B-Tier games so much. Anyone who stuck by their preorders is in for a treat (or disappointment - just temper expectations accordingly).

SatoAilDarko said:
Wait, the servers aren't up yet?

Doesn't seem that way.

WzRnp8q.png

Boke1879

This game is gonna be expensive as hell in a decade or less.

Decided to buy the game from Gamestop from there site since it doesn't say sold out. I have a feeling you'll be right and this will be one of those cult classic games that'll be hard to find complete in box in like 5 years.

Iorv3th

Decided to buy the game from Gamestop from there site since it doesn't say sold out. I have a feeling you'll be right and this will be one of those cult classic games that'll be hard to find complete in box in like 5 years.

Let me know when yours ships. Mine hasn't yet. Though I went with free shipping because I live close to the warehouse.

Absolute chaos in the MP lol. Cheers Varg, saw you in there destroying everyone

EDIT: How do you earn dollen?

EDIT2: Selling eggs, nice

luka

Loves Robotech S1
im actually considering buying the NA version just to play multiplayer again

region-locked servers are the worst

Oxirane

Absolute chaos in the MP lol. Cheers Varg, saw you in there destroying everyone

EDIT: How do you earn dollen?

EDIT2: Selling eggs, nice

Don't sell too many eggs (maybe just a few at the start). Joining a clan gets you regular dollen income (in addition to earning it in matches).

I put a hold on one at my gamestop online and it seemed like that was the only copy they had when I got the confirmation email. It doesn't show up as them having it anymore at that store. Guess it really is hard to find,

Varg

Banned
Multiplayer is legit boys. Had fun playing tonight but I'm tired now. Only flaw I see is the poor framerate when theres a lot of action online. Other then that, it looks and plays like a ps2 socom game. That to me is fantastic.

Might just be me but it seems like fists are more effective for melee than actual weapons. Obviously they take more hits but they're faster (tomahawks might be the same speed though, haven't tried). It's all about stun anyways

I was playing a match earlier, got into a pileup of like 3 other players in a corner and ninja'd em all with glorious martial arts

Multiplayer is a bit too chaotic for it to be my main game of choice but I'll def put time into it as long as there's the one active lobby to join lol. I'll def try the F2P PC version too

Broritos

Turns out this game is good and the multiplayer is crazy.

This game will live. It will most likely have a small community but with the amount of content and 24/7 Siege War mode, it will be a strong community.

Yeah, I'm just gonna continue through the campaign on Casual. After replaying the first two chapters on Standard, the problems of the game forcing you into unfun situations to survive become more apparent. I like being able to cut loose, slice and punch and shoot as I see fit, so I'll just forego the higher difficulties for now. Besides, after this I'm going straight into multiplayer and I want my 20 goddamn golden eggs before then.

Well, just wrapped up the campaign in Devil's Third.

That whole thing was as amazing as it was horrible. Which the horribleness is what made it amazing. Stuff like Mission 5 where you're introduced to the tac ninjas feels the closest to something that you'd see in a more polished, professional game as it was one of the better areas to use both your melee weapons and fire arms freely.

But then there's the shit in the last third where the game kicks into overdrive and stops giving fucks. I mean,
a driving sequence where you control the vehicle, turret, AND boost power is something almost no AAA game would do.
Then there's the
whole concept behind Mission 8 with Caraway's old war buddies doing crazy WWII bombing runs on the enemy and the most absurd amount of mooks being placed on screen during that mission's turret sequence. Like, fuck performance, we gotta make this thing chug like it's EDF.

It really got me excited to reach the end, which made the way it resolved itself kind of underwhelming. Itagaki said in one of the trailers that the game ended with a bang, but I feel like the lead up had more impact than the actual conclusion itself. But that personal message from him after the credits was really special. Even if all the parts of the campaign that were amazing weren't there at all, I still couldn't hate this game just for that message. The man delivered the best he could given this game's fucked up development history, and that is something I have to appreciate.

And now I'm off to bed. Tomorrow I give the multiplayer a shot, though I'm already wondering whether to go full merc at the start or find a clan. Excited for how the experience will be.

Top Bottom