• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Face-Off: Resident Evil Revelations 2 - Xbox One trumps PS4

King_Moc

Banned
Looks like Capcom messed up here then. Glad I bought it on PC so I can just brute force good performance out of it.

Melchiah

The fact they didn't optimize the PS4 version reinforces my decision to skip the game altogether. The video that was posted on another thread some time ago, that made the game seem like a cheap TLOU rip-off, didn't exactly help its case either.

Seanspeed

Banned
Anyone looking for the smoothest possible experience with the game should definitely stick to the PC version, but be aware that the split-screen co-op mode has been completely removed from the PC version, which may be a dealbreaker to many.

Trying to downplay the PC version. Predictable.

MT framework generally works great on PC. This game is not a good PC port though. Really weird performance early in the game for me. Once I got past the tutorial it was great, but a few early rooms are all over the place.
its not really the performance I am worried about, I can brute force almost any game, its the UI running at ultra wide.

I cant find any info from people trying it yet, but I do see that the people at wsgf were making fixes for revelations 1

DryvBy

Certainly this will be patched. If the Order can run at 30fps and look like it does, RER2 shouldn't have drops below 30.

C'mon, Capcom. Get with it.

Fury451

Banned
So the XBO is more powerful after all ?

Or Capcom doesn't really optimize well on PS4. Considering multiplats have favored the PS4 in some cases, this speaks to a dev problem.

Whichever suits your preferences more though.

I impulse bought it- if I played Operation Raccoon City, I can play anything RE. I'll finish this one even if it turns into a power point.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Trying to downplay the PC version. Predictable.

I havent played PC games in a while, do they typically have local coop?

performance on PS4 derails my interest until it is patched. I am starting to wonder if directx is just a lot more developer friendly for porting over to xb1 than emulating on whatever ps4 uses.

Begaria

So the XBO is more powerful after all ?

Yes. This one game alongside the handful of other games that ran better on Xbox One over the dozens of other analysis that showed the PS4 version being the better choice definitively proves that the XBO is more powerful. Well done! You've cracked the code.

what the...super glad I am getting on PC, I Would have preordered on PS4 - who would think such a simple looking game would have issues

Pooya

It looks terrible. Compared with some other episodic adventure game it's alright though, I guess that's fair...

Montresor

Man this has totally made my day. It's not enough for my console of choice (XB1) to have frame rate and performance equal to that of the competition. The competition's frame rate and performance need to be worse as well. And since PS4 is more powerful than XB1, these victories are few and far between, making them ever more sweet. Crossing my fingers that this performance victory is _not_ because Microsoft engineers helped Capcom improve the XB1 version - instead I'm hoping it was because Microsoft management conspired to have Capcom actively worsen the PS4 version.

I'm kidding

MormaPope

Banned
I'm deleting my digital ps4 version. This shit is garbage.

So you bought it, and now won't even try the game because of performance issues? Are you going to rebuy it or just ignore something you bought and decided to never play?

Like, the chances of you still enjoying the game are still high or whatever.

EGM1966

Thats what I was thinking. There sure are some bitter people these days.

That's the least of it. Wait until people register DF really did put in the byline "XB1 trumps PS4" and argue they need to go back and change majority of previous analysis to include byline "PS4 trumps XB1"

Also that's some weak ass PS4 work there. Capcom really screwed optimization somehow or threw PC/XB1 code onto PS4 and assumed it would just work fine.

c0de

Yes. This one game alongside the handful of other games that ran better on Xbox One over the dozens of other analysis that showed the PS4 version being the better choice definitively proves that the XBO is more powerful. Well done! You've cracked the code.

Perhaps he was only joking?

Thread title is hilarious. DF probably would have shouted "Victory for XBOX one!" from a mountain top if given the opportunity.

jmaine_ph

That's it! I'm trading in this SlideShowStation 4! I'm done blaming devs for poor optimization! The PS4 is clearly the weaker console and I'm fed up with this!

So you bought it, and now won't even try the game because of performance issues? Are you going to rebuy it or just ignore something you bought and decided to never play?

Like, the chances of you still enjoying the game are still high or whatever.
It was 100% sarcasm. I'm enjoying the shit out if this game regardless of the issues. I post actively in the OP a lot. This is one of my favorite releases so far this year.

Blobbers

What's with the twitter title, Eurogamer, huh?

Why
"Xbox One pulls ahead of PlayStation 4 in the Resident Evil Revelations 2 Face-Off:"
instead of
"Xbox One surprisingly pulls ahead of PlayStation 4 in the Resident Evil Revelations 2 Face-Off:"

If this is not hard proof that Microsoft (probably Phil himself) secretly funds all of Eurogamer's and, by extension, DF's ventures, I don't know what is.

dan2026

Ugh wow. What is optimisation?

Also you guys really think DF is biased in favour of the Xbox. Are those tin foil hats fitting too tightly?

hesido

Dropped Frames (from 17,000 total)
PS4 3,112 (18.3%)
XB1 566 (3.3%)

You can watch the video as well....

I know, but still, I don't like that "lowest frame rate" metric in any comparison. Some sites have moved onto percentiles. A setup maybe pushing 50fps most of of the time but it may fall below 30 in an area, vs a setup that may be going 45 fps but would fall to 35. A percentile chart would better represent the performance, be it truly worse or not.

Top Bottom