• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Fortnite. No Pro support, mid-20s, improper frame-pacing... Better on Xbox One!

Madness

... So what's this down to? Unreal works better on Xbox? Lack of polish on PS4?

Xbox appears to be stepping up in its final polishing these days. Perhaps the tools are maturing to be more programmer friendly. Whatever it is, good for them!

It is down to lower resolutions having better frame rates. Think about what developers could do with Xbox One X if they didn't want to do a 4K game. Could probably not only make each game locked 60fps at 1080p, but I wonder what kind of visual fidelity they could push if they didn't have to do 4K or checkerboard 4K and struggle with 30 or sub-30 frames.

PS4 Pro is more powerful as is the PS4 over Xbox One. So keeping in mind it is still early access, if it was also 900p, you would see it be superior to Xbox One.

RedRum

Banned
It is down to lower resolutions having better frame rates. Think about what developers could do with Xbox One X if they didn't want to do a 4K game. Could probably not only make each game locked 60fps at 1080p, but I wonder what kind of visual fidelity they could push if they didn't have to do 4K or checkerboard 4K and struggle with 30 or sub-30 frames.

PS4 Pro is more powerful as is the PS4 over Xbox One. So keeping in mind it is still early access, if it was also 900p, you would see it be superior to Xbox One.

Yeah. I really wish that MS wouldn't push the 4K narrative so hard, but as I've stated in the past, the love relationship that these companies have to get the best resolution stems from the gamers making it a priority at the beginning of this gen.

GHG

Wait so, Epic announced pro support is on the way yesterday via the ps blog so DF decide to release a face off today?

That Microsoft money from the Xbox one x reveal is putting in work it seems....

Or maybe a coincidence?

I'll go with the former....

If anyone was in any doubt, yes, this is indeed a digital foundry thread.

Shari

I love how these threads melt fanboy's brains and raise heart rates. Also part of the GAF experience.

Why is it DF's responsibility to wait for an upcoming patch instead of comparing what customers can experience today? DF is not Sony PR. Maybe they should have held back the PS4 early access until this patch was available.

It's a pity that the obvious needs explaining but still, nice that someone took the time to put into words what's going on.

... So what's this down to? Unreal works better on Xbox? Lack of polish on PS4?

Xbox appears to be stepping up in its final polishing these days. Perhaps the tools are maturing to be more programmer friendly. Whatever it is, good for them!

The xb version is pushing less pixels. It is better except where it is worse.

kevin1025

Banned
Watched some of the Xbox One version streamed yesterday, it looked real good despite some tiny bits of lag.

I'm sure the PS4 version will get there over time.

Goalus

Wait so, Epic announced pro support is on the way yesterday via the ps blog so DF decide to release a face off today?

That Microsoft money from the Xbox one x reveal is putting in work it seems....

Or maybe a coincidence?

I'll go with the former....

I love the smell of salt in the air - saves me a trip to the sea :)

You better get used to it though. This will be the norm as soon as Xbox One X is out.

The Xbox GPU seems to have nailed 900p 99% of the time while devs struggle to push PS4 to 1080p. I would rather have better performance than more pixels every day of the week.

Bsigg12

Partly because (i) they spend an inordinate amount of time searching [to no avail] for Pro enhancements when they acknowledge an Epic interview in which it is stated Pro performance gains will be forthcoming in a future update (ii) specific information pertaining to those performance gains were publicly accessible before Digital Foundry uploaded their video. And the tone of the opening post did little to advance our understanding.

It's not like the video was made in a single day. They also do a good job at following up when there are things like updates to improve performance or add features. The backlash on them really isn't warranted considering what they and anyone playing the game right now has access to.

R_Deckard

It's not like the video was made in a single day. They also do a good job at following up when there are things like updates to improve performance or add features. The backlash on them really isn't warranted considering what they and anyone playing the game right now has access to.

They really never did that at all not till nxgamer did and started covering patches, then they followed him.

VariantX

If it's for sale, it should be reviewed. Don't know why people are salty at DF for analyzing a commercial product.

That's pretty much the bottom line here for me. Of course it can get better later. That's true for almost all games these days with day 1 or day 10 patches. BotW got a little better after a patch or two, so did BF4 with extensive work. None of that however, should have any bearing on a product being sold today and is being reviewed today.

Head.spawn

Embarrassing.

Epic Games should be ashamed especially after releasing the stellar Paragon.

Whats to be embarrassed about? The game is in Early Access. If it were like this at final release (when it's free to play), all of this hyperbole would have a place (sorta, but barely)

When did Playstation get a 'Game Preview' program? I thought Xbox and Steam were the only platforms that support that. Good for PS!

The game is in Early Access. If it were like this at final release (when it's free to play), all of this hyperbole would have a place (sorta, but barely)

But the game is out at retail. You can buy it in stores right now.

mqdefault.jpg

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I feel sorry for people that bought a Pro. Maybe I'm ignorant on the library of enhanced games, but I feel like I'm never seeing substantial improvements over the vanilla versions.

Whats to be embarrassed about? The game is in Early Access. If it were like this at final release (when it's free to play), all of this hyperbole would have a place (sorta, but barely)
Paragon is still in Open Beta if I remember correctly and also released in Early Access. Not being fully released yet isn't an excuse especially when they are charging people for it at retail.

I feel sorry for people that bought a Pro. Maybe I'm ignorant on the library of enhanced games, but I feel like I'm never seeing substantial improvements over the vanilla versions.
There are substantial improvements for most games. We just have a few bad eggs like this game. Paragon, a game also released by Epic Games shows significant improvements over the OG PS4 version. Which makes this game's problems even more baffling.

timberger

Seems like it. Plenty of games that are significantly improved on Pro. The few shit ones of course are what draw the most attention, most especially when you get headlines like DF's to go with them.

I love the smell of salt in the air - saves me a trip to the sea :)

You better get used to it though. This will be the norm as soon as Xbox One X is out.

It will taste so good come Nov...there's no way out, You just have to Deal With It.

Embarassing exchange.

I feel sorry for people that make statements like this. My Pro was worth every penny and I have a 1080p projector.

Don't feel sorry for us, most of us are enjoying the benefits it has brought to the table. PSVR is a totally different beast when paired with the Pro. The additional USB port is another great plus to the machine, once you get in to games with faster load times, boost mode, 4k CB and Native there is nothing to be feeling sorry for at all. The price difference between a 1TB Pro and 1TB PS4 is small enough to make the gains extremely good value for money.

Nesther

All this fighting over an early access game.

You really can't call a game that gets a full-priced physical release at retail an early access title. So I'm glad that DF is analyzing the release version as it is.

I take it you don't follow PSVR? The Pro is worth it just for that, imo. Base PS4 just can't handle VR properly.

Top Bottom