• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF : Hands-on with Rise of the Tomb Raider

RyudBoy

I know some of the cutscenes were 900p on XB1 in TR2013, but seriously they weren't noticeable. If that's the case with this game, I wouldn't mind. Let's just hope they fix the frame rate and tearing.

etta

my hard graphic balls
They don't have or plan on getting an Xbox One, so they'll wait a year for the PS4 version perhaps? It's not like they can get it on Day 1...
Then there's no inherent waiting as a possibility. If they don't have XBO or don't plan to get it, then there's no waiting to be done.
Saying they will wait implies they have a choice of not waiting, which implies they have an XBO.

Just watched that tomb trailer again where you see Lara in that small space with scorpions and the tomb itself. It all looks pretty nice, the lighting too. Definitely did not remind me of DE, but this new footage absolutely does. Is that thanks to the same engine and/or cross gen?

De_Legend

Banned
[Call-Me-G];179810632 said:
An analysis from a video from a build of a not released game... What's the point? DF is becoming one of the most influencial game website in the internet, and they don't deserve it at all... This site should be banned, just as VGCh**tz and D***shockers.

It's not jeuxvideo.com here.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Just watched that tomb trailer again where you see Lara in that small space with scorpions and the tomb itself. It all looks pretty nice, the lighting too. Definitely did not remind me of DE, but this new footage absolutely does. Is that thanks to the same engine and/or cross gen?
Yeah, that's why I was a bit negative here. I thought the game looked amazing previously but...this new area is just so bland. It really felt like a step back. Not a huge upgrade over DE (just this area).

It really took me by surprise!

I think the reason why the new area looks so visually underwhelming (and hence why the flaws in rendering become that much more apparent) is because it takes place primarily in shadow. And the only way the game procudes variations in ambient colour and shadow in such moments is through things which cannot do it so well: screen space AO, point lights, and a flat ambient IBL probably (just a hunch). It just lacks realistic indirect lighting and variation IMO.

Unless games have icredible GI solutions, most areas that are out of direct lighting will look flat. And even then, most games cannot do that dynamically... so dynamic objects wills tick out in the scenes like sore thumbs.

That cave scenario on the other hand has tons of shadow and light play and it shows off their cool volumetric lighting: a much more conducive environment to hide the downsides of real time rendering.

Fredrik

Honestly, in terms of framerate it's not bad at all!!
It kept constantly the 30fps except for that 3:48 mark with the tank explosion, where it drops to 27. lol And its an unfnished build.
Problem is, lots of people played TR2013 Definitive Edition running at ~55fps. Sorry to say this but 30fps alone is a big letdown for many of us. :/
But I'll be there day 1 anyway :)

c0de

Problem is, lots of people played TR2013 Definitive Edition running at ~55fps. Sorry to say this but 30fps alone is a big letdown for many of us. :/
But I'll be there day 1 anyway :)

Is it? I mean variable framerate over a mostly locked gameplay?

Kezen

Banned

Myself, I don't mind a variable framerate as long as it's high enough. To me a "consistent" 30fps is not good, I'd rather have a framerate fluctuating between 50-60fps.

Fredrik

I'd say that a variable framerate above 50fps is perfectly okay, I'd even say that it will make 30fps look like a stuttery mess in comparison even if it's locked, the difference is simply too big.
But like I said, it's still a day 1 title for me so don't take me the wrong way here, just trying to explain the framerate complaints, and just to be clear, the same thing will happen after playing 60fps Nathan Drake Collection, going from 60 back to 30 fps is never a pleasant transition.

Fardeen

i kinda wish the game was ps4 and pc exclusive, the xbox one seems to hold the game back :( really wish the game is really a next gen game not some hybrid between xbone 360 to x box one

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

19 Seconds into the video:
OAKwMjP.png

Pez

I need to cancel my pre-order for this one. As soon as I realized it was cross-gen with the Xbox 360, I lost a lot of interest. =(

Kezen

Banned
Here's hoping they get the frame rate up the par and that the ps4/pc versions aren't half-assed ports.

You can't afford to release half-assed ports that much later. PC and PS4 versions will most certainly contain visual improvements, and the PS4 version will include all the DLC content when it releases.

hawk2025

We've confirmed that there's no multiplayer, correct?

So we should assume any and all upcoming DLC will be single player, if any DLC comes at all?

It would be cool to get something like Underworld got on the 360 back then. I remember liking that kind of extra content.

Grisby

Hope they get the framerate locked.

Lara's model is pretty impressive to me. I think that's gonna be one of the strongest points, graphically.

i kinda wish the game was ps4 and pc exclusive, the xbox one seems to hold the game back :( really wish the game is really a next gen game not some hybrid between xbone 360 to x box one

I kinda wish the game was a PC exclusive. Consoles seem to hold the game back. :(

C'mon, man!

viHuGi

Banned

Seriously? Game looks amazing i dont know why people complain so much with some minor things.

Seriously? Game looks amazing i dont know why people complain so much with some minor things.

It does look fantastic. I get that some people might not be pleased with the technical aspects, but despite owning a fairly powerful PC, I'm gonna get this day one on Xbox. I fucking loved the first one, and the previews for this one have been great so far. Can't wait.

By the way, why is the preview thread so dead? Game's gotten some positive early impressions.

viHuGi

Banned
It does look fantastic. I get that some people might not be pleased with the technical aspects, but despite owning a fairly powerful PC, I'm gonna get this day one on Xbox. I fucking loved the first one, and the previews for this one have been great so far. Can't wait.

By the way, why is the preview thread so dead? Game's gotten some positive early impressions.

Just some minor things that might be fixed yet and people complain loud and clear, dont get it...

How about instead of telling us "OPTIONAL CHALLENGE TOMB NEARBY" you just let us find it by accident thru good level design? JUZ SAYIN'

Nothing kills immersion more than popup notifications, intrusive HUD, and "+10 HEADSHOT" all over the place. And considering this series used to be all about exploration, sense of wonder, and immersion, it blows my mind how this could be the direction they decide to go toward.

...Oh I forgot, we're all stupid and need to be shown absolutely everything because you don't trust us to want to explore the world environment you've gone out of your way to fill with detail. LET US EXPLORE. Stop telling us what's around the next corner. Just leave us alone to experience the game.

xxracerxx

How about instead of telling us "OPTIONAL CHALLENGE TOMB NEARBY" you just let us find it by accident thru good level design? JUZ SAYIN'

Nothing kills immersion more than popup notifications, intrusive HUD, and "+10 HEADSHOT" all over the place. And considering this series used to be all about exploration, sense of wonder, and immersion, it blows my mind how this could be the direction they decide to go toward.

...Oh I forgot, we're all stupid and need to be shown absolutely everything because you don't trust us to want to explore the world environment you've gone out of your way to fill with detail. LET US EXPLORE. Stop telling us what's around the next corner. Just leave us alone to experience the game.

Hopefully it is an option to turn that shit off.

You have a point about people liking being led by the hand though, I mean look at some of the complaints about MGSV and people not finding out how to fast travel because you have to discover it on your own.

does it not release on the pc on the same day? i enjoyed the last TR, will get this as well.
No.

PC - 6 months after
PS4 - 1 year after

Did you play 2013 DE? It was the same. And it was good.

watership

Now i have to say this, it really irks me.

Whats up with every TR thread and some people popping up and saying "i will wait till next year" or "Day 365"

Is it really necessary to say that in every Rise of TR thread? We get it.

Yes it's shitty posting, but it's the reality of this game now on Gaf. Most bought a PS4 only, and they wanted this game, and since it's coming a year late, that's going to be 90 percent of the posts. It'll calm down after a few days, or until the mods decide it's no longer relevant to the conversation and take action.

Kezen

Banned
Yeah, I'm not waiting a year for higher rez shadows. Game looks good - will buy.

What makes you think only shadows will be improved on PS4 ? Or was it just a lame drive-by ?

Considering the Xbone version is 1080p this gives the PS4 quite a bit of headroom for visual enhancements of various kinds. I expect some of the stuff they have in the pipeline for the PC will also make their way on PS4.
If the Xbone build runs at 40-45fps average then it's possible the DE situation will repeat : 50-60fps on PS4.

xxracerxx

Yes it's shitty posting, but it's the reality of this game now on Gaf. Most bought a PS4 only, and they wanted this game, and since it's coming a year late, that's going to be 90 percent of the posts. It'll calm down after a few days, or until the mods decide it's no longer relevant to the conversation and take action.

Now this is complete crap.

Percy

Banned
Nah, just trying to head off console warriors. It's a problem on both machines.

Oh, so you've highlighted the issue when AF problems have been present in games previously?

What makes you think only shadows will be improved on PS4 ? Or was it just a lame drive-by ?

Considering the Xbone version is 1080p this gives the PS4 quite a bit of headroom for visual enhancements of various kinds. I expect some of the stuff they have in the pipeline for the PC will also make their way on PS4.
If the Xbone build runs at 40-45fps average then it's possible the DE situation will repeat : 50-60fps on PS4.

I'm expecting this too tbh.

Did you play 2013 DE? It was the same. And it was good.

I assume you're referring to the Definitive Edition of TR'13. Don't get me started on that game. It played good, but that was it. It was an above average dime a dozen third person shooter. Nothing more. Poorly written, poorly directed, redundant gameplay mechanics, predictable QTEs, tacked on multiplayer, hand holding narrative. This is barely touching the surface.

Percy

Banned
A significant portion of Rise of the Tomb Raider comments in new threads is "I'll get this when it comes to PS4/PC". Is that crap?

This thread seems to have more posts whining about people saying they'll get the game on PS4/PC than people actually saying that though :/

Top Bottom