• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF : Hands-on with Rise of the Tomb Raider

Gurish

I know GAF wants to judge the game based on footage presented here, but my personal opinion is different.

I played the game at PAX. The game is absolutely gorgeous in motion. I had just got done playing the Uncharted Remaster, and when I came to Tomb Raider, it was a huge leap.

That being said, they did take shortcuts. For example, the shadows were like a PC Equivalent to low, some of the textures looked like a little blurry, and AA was definetely needed- especially in the wider scenes. With all that said, it still looked pretty damn incredible, and by far- is the best looking game on the Xbox One.

The only people who would really nitpick are PC guys- but the majority of console gamers will just stand in awe. It's a really a beauty.
Well maybe but it's not like I judged it based on some low quality compressed Youtube videos, I downloaded and seen most of the videos on Gamersyde and it's pretty rough, IQ is just not really good, and lighting isn't too impressive as well, I can't see in those videos a big jump over the remaster.

Kssio_Aug

I've just watched their analysis video: https://youtu.be/sI167DQmOCQ

Honestly, in terms of framerate it's not bad at all!!
It kept constantly the 30fps except for that 3:48 mark with the tank explosion, where it drops to 27. lol And its an unfnished build.

I just don't like the game visuals. Probably its the snow area, where besides it does have some nice snow effects (some not so much), the game looks much better in the other shown areas.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Looks decent but there is some weird shit happening here

ckLz4Om.jpg

Like it's obvious everything is 1080p except that edge of the beam :S
That's so weird.

Now i have to say this, it really irks me.

Whats up with every TR thread and some people popping up and saying "i will wait till next year" or "Day 365"

Is it really necessary to say that in every Rise of TR thread? We get it.
I think it's fine. Some will preorder, some will wait.

c0de

Well maybe but it's not like I judged it based on some low quality compressed Youtube videos, I downloaded and seen most of the videos on Gamersyde and it's pretty rough, IQ is just not really good, and lighting isn't too impressive as well, I can't see in those videos a big jump over the remaster.

But dark10x does.

stryke

LOL, this reminds me of those weird jagged artifacts when using the flashlight in TLOU.

Well, yeah a lot of special effects are rendered at a lower resolution. But this is just geometry in your face. Obviously it's been hit by some post processing effect but it's not clear what it is.

Whats up with every TR thread and some people popping up and saying "i will wait till next year" or "Day 365"

Let's balance it. Hi guys, I'm gonna buy this on Xbox One on launch.

GHG

If it stays like this I think I'll wait for the PC version.

With Hitman no longer releasing this year there's a gap for something else to fill for me but I'm really not convinced about this one from what I've seen so far.

foxbeldin

If you guys feel i should have quoted or bolded something important and missed it, please let me know, but i'm really trying not to quote the whole article.

Javin98

Banned
I know GAF wants to judge the game based on footage presented here, but my personal opinion is different.

I played the game at PAX. The game is absolutely gorgeous in motion. I had just got done playing the Uncharted Remaster, and when I came to Tomb Raider, it was a huge leap.

That being said, they did take shortcuts. For example, the shadows were like a PC Equivalent to low, some of the textures looked like a little blurry, and AA was definetely needed- especially in the wider scenes. With all that said, it still looked pretty damn incredible, and by far- is the best looking game on the Xbox One.

The only people who would really nitpick are PC guys- but the majority of console gamers will just stand in awe. It's a really a beauty.
But the bolded statement is in direct contradiction with DF's article. They specifically mentioned in the article that shadows were very well rendered and had little to no artifacts. Also, lighting is not very impressive at all, compared to many other current gen games.

Well, yeah a lot of special effects are rendered at a lower resolution. But this is just geometry in your face. Obviously it's been hit by some post processing effect but it's not clear what it is.
I know, I was just saying it looks uncannily similar to that flashlight artifact. Not trying to imply anything. :p

Mask

I think I'll wait and see. Didn't like Tomb Raider:DE at all, felt too much like every other game, and didn't really add anything to the character, so I probably won't be too keen on this one either. Gimme another one like the old games, all tombs and weird monster and animal enemies, or at least some DLC like that.

Hoje0308

Banned
[Call-Me-G];179810632 said:
An analysis from a video from a build of a not released game... What's the point? DF is becoming one of the most influencial game website in the internet, and they don't deserve it at all... This site should be banned, just as VGCh**tz and D***shockers.

temper-tantrum-300x199.jpg

[Call-Me-G];179811379 said:
I went a little too far... But I'm not fond at all of "judging" the visual quality of a videogame from a video of a build.

Then pre-release tech threads might not be your thing.

The wording seemed as though DF didn't enjoy saying so, but the basic message seems to be that this title is looking pretty rough.

I'm in a bit of an I-told-you-so situation because I've been saying this since we've been seeing gamplay and some people have been super defensive about it.

The annoying part is that I loved the reboot and have been hoping for this one to be stellar...but it's just looking more rough than I'd hoped.

Hopefully some of the issues, particularly framerate, can be patched or, even better, fixed before it ships.

sense

people were up in arms when it was suggested the game didn't look a lot better than the ones on 360 or ps3. it looks good but nothing special

Mr Moose

I like the way the back of her hair moves, seems much better than I remember it being in TR DE.
Although, on the sides, she has hair growing out of her ears. She needs a trim.

Looks solid, sometimes really awe-inspiring, but inconsistencies cannot be avoided on a project of that scale.

Not taking away from the game or the visuals (which look fantastic from what I've seen), but to say that "inconsistencies cannot be avoided on a project of that scale" is a bit of a cop-out. I will make a prediction that there will not be any such "visual inconsistencies" with UC4 (which everyone is comparing it to because it is the closest in terms of genre, game play, etc.)... then again, not every developer is Naughty Dog.

Bottom line is that I don't think that there should be "inconsistencies" especially based upon the huge infusion of cash they got from MS for the timed exclusivity. I think that given another year and the better hardware (even if slight) of the PS4, we will see a lot of improvement on that front. We will also see if CD can release an unbroken PC version of the game since it seems to be a common theme nowadays with substandard PC ports.

In a thread about technical merits of ROTR people are mentioning hope that other confirmed versions on more powerful platforms are technically superior.

Kezen

Banned
Not taking away from the game or the visuals (which look fantastic from what I've seen), but to say that "inconsistencies cannot be avoided on a project of that scale" is a bit of a cop-out. I will make a prediction that there will not be any such "visual inconsistencies" with UC4 (which everyone is comparing it to because it is the closest in terms of genre, game play, etc.)... then again, not every developer is Naughty Dog.
I would be surprised if there is no inconsistencies in UC4 as well, because we are dealing with real-time rendering here. Appromixations/artefacts of various nature can't be avoided. A bit of pop-in here, a few nasty textures there etc...

Bottom line is that I don't think that there should be "inconsistencies" especially based upon the huge infusion of cash they got from MS for the timed exclusivity. I think that given another year and the better hardware (even if slight) of the PS4, we will see a lot of improvement on that front. We will also see if CD can release an unbroken PC version of the game since it seems to be a common theme nowadays with substandard PC ports.
Substandards PC ports (i.e Arkham Knight) are by no means common, thankfully. In fact it's the exception rather than the rule. I have high hopes for the PC version, Square Enix maintain high standards of quality across all their skus.

It should be by far the most impressive looking version (PC) if it scales high enough. The hardware is there and the API too, this game is heavily rumored to support DX12 on PC.

Journey

Banned
It's so funny seeing posts only focus on the negatives and ignoring all the positives. :)

Rise of the TombRaider thread, 100 out of 100 times this will happen on GAF. Pretty pathetic actually. It's all good the game will still do great and we will keep getting more entries in this amazing series and some on GAF can continue to be salty. The world will keep on spinning etc.. :)

Not just Rise of the Tomb Raider, but any game behind an exclusivity wall, or worse when that wall is the abominable Xbox One.

I forget which publication said this, but someone was fairly certain that Tomb Raider was ahead of Uncharted 4 visually. I LOL'd

Kezen

Banned
Xbox Two and PS5 better have whatever you need to do good AF. It ruins so much of the art.

You don't need much at all for 16xAF. I still can't fathom out why it's such a rarity on consoles.

It improves IQ considerably. Talking about IQ the post process AA employed leaves a lot to be desired but unless they add an improved version on PC I'll have to live with that.

Not just Rise of the Tomb Raider, but any game behind an exclusivity wall, or worse when that wall is the abominable Xbox One.

People would be singing a different tune if it were console exclusive to PS4 like Street Fighter V is. While I don't particularly care or see anything special at all in this cross-generational title and the performances problems are odd considering Crystal Dynamics are solely focused on the Xbox One version, I would be lying if I didn't see this trend.

I forget which publication said this, but someone was fairly certain that Tomb Raider was ahead of Uncharted 4 visually. I LOL'd

I have a friend who truly believes that, but he absolutely despises Naughty Dog's art style color choices for Uncharted 4 and The Last of Us.

Best wishes.

Doesn't sound specially good.

Actually seems pretty positive overall. There is still a bit of time for some last minute optimizations as well so I imagine it could improve a bit. Hopefully the frame tearing is removed as that's my biggest gripe with the stuff mentioned here.

Wanderer5

Well maybe things will improve for the pc and ps4 version tech wise heh.:p Anyway sounding a bit mixed today, but hope they really pull off on having much better tombs and puzzles, even if it mostly be thrown on the side probably.

stryke

I would be surprised if there is no inconsistencies in UC4 as well, because we are dealing with real-time rendering here. Appromixations/artefacts of various nature can't be avoided. A bit of pop-in here, a few nasty textures there etc...

The poor water splash effect from the jeep still annoys me. I mean, they've already got something there when Drake is dragged through the water, they should just copy/paste that.

How many hours per week does one have to work to appreciate these graphics? 35-40?

45 with a 5 day vacation each year?

DO I HAVE TO BE UNIONIZED?

Kezen

Banned
The poor water splash effect from the jeep still annoys me. I mean, they've already got something there when Drake is dragged through the water, they should just copy/paste that.

It's probably not as straightforward as we think it is. We have a tendency to have inflated expectations about real-time graphics.

Likewise I don't expect miracles for the PC version, but I do expect improvements regarding AO, shadows, LOD, draw distances, perhaps textures and various post-processing effects (DOF), maybe more tessellation, TressFX not solely used for hair but also for fur : TressFX 3.0 can do that :
AMD-TressFX-3.01.jpg

Should be good. Considering the PC version will most likely release 5 months after the Xbone it should be packed with visual improvements to make up for the delay.
AMD will most certainly be the hardware partner.

Javin98

Banned
Yeah, that would still be much better than having no splashes at all. Hopefully, ND left it out because they were working on a different splash effect for the jeep. Either way, I will be disappointed if it remains unchanged in the final release.

It's probably not as straightforward as we think it is. We have a tendency to have inflated expectations about real-time graphics.

Likewise I don't expect miracles for the PC version, but I do expect improvements regarding AO, shadows, LOD, draw distances, perhaps textures and various post-processing effects (DOF), maybe more tessellation, TressFX not solely used for hair but also for fur : TressFX 3.0 can do that :
AMD-TressFX-3.01.jpg

Should be good. Considering the PC version will most likely release 5 months after the Xbone it should be packed with visual improvements to make up for the delay.
AMD will most certainly be the hardware partner.
Wait, TressFX is not used on the bear's fur on XB1? I assumed it was. Then again, the fur did look average at best. If that's the case, then hopefully it is used on the PC version and maybe the PS4 version, given the performance headroom.

Kezen

Banned
Wait, TressFX is not used on the bear's fur on XB1? I assumed it was. Then again, the fur did look average at best. If that's the case, then hopefully it is used on the PC version and maybe the PS4 version, given the performance headroom.
Feel free to prove me wrong but it does not look like it, to me.

Look at this shot :
screen011.jpg

This looks like a standard game fur, not something like Hairworks or TressFX 3.0.
Actually simulated, high quality fur has been used in COD Ghosts (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), The Witcher 3 (PC).

It would be great to see it in ROTTR on animals, Nvidia have proved it can be done on many complex assets. Results are mixed (the "spaghetti" effect) but that's the case for any rendering tech, there is always room for improvement.
The performance hit is severe in any case, when more than one fur assets shows up = adios 60fps on my 980 (1080p).
GrizzlyBearInHWViewer.png

Watching a video of a cross gen game reminded you of how good a developer that has the luxury of developing on a single platform is?

Except that Crystal Dynamics is only working on the Xbox One version (and maybe PC but I don't think we have the confirmation that they're doing the port).

Top Bottom