• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF/JF: Battlefield 4 PS4 vs XB1 videos/screens (900p PS4, 720p XB1)

Yea, PS4 seems to be enjoying an advantage in all areas. Post processing (AA, AO, Motion blur, depth of field etc) as well as a resolution advantage and a more consistent frame rate. Much bigger difference than I ever expected. Certainly more than a 30-40% difference by the numbers or in terms of resource intensiveness.

Those lossless gifs have been the most telling comparison yet. The biggest difference between pc and PS4, outside of the obvious resolution, is the color pallette. Other than that its nearly indistinguishable. Not bad for your first stab at the next gen, whilst supporting current, DICE.

velociraptor

Yea, PS4 seems to be enjoying an advantage in all areas. Post processing (AA, AO, Motion blur, depth of field etc) as well as a resolution advantage and a more consistent frame rate. Much bigger difference than I ever expected. Certainly more than a 30-40% difference by the numbers or in terms of resource intensiveness.
In all fairness the resolution advantage alone confers a 56% advantage (1.44 megapixels vs 0.9 megapixels).

In all fairness the resolution advantage alone confers a 56% advantage (1.44 megapixels vs 0.9 megapixels).

I honestly did not think there would be that big of a difference. People can make an argument that the games look nearly identical, which I tip my hat to DICE to. But the fact that the PS4 is running the game at a higher resolution, with more effects, and at a better overall frame rate is crazy.

nib95

Banned
In all fairness the resolution advantage alone confers a 56% advantage.

Not exactly, because it doest always scale up that way. Funnily enough, the weaker the GPU the bigger the performance hit going from say, 720p to 900p or to 1080p. The better the GPU the higher the performance hit ceiling. On higher end GPUs the performance hit difference is barely negligible between 900p and 1080p. Unfortunately the GPU in the Xbox One is actually relatively low end (similar to a 7770), coupled with the DDR3 and small quantity of Esram (32mb is just not enough) and Microsoft will continue to have resolution and IQ woes whilst the PS4 will fare much better.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

The fact that there is going to be at least one game with a 1080/720 split means that the PS4 has an advantage of 125% in resolution. Way bigger than I ever expected.

Metfanant

so funny how this thread is still going, and so many people are STILL asking the same questions from midnight because they are not bothering to actually read either the thread, or the articles themselves

The fact that there is going to be at least one game with a 1080/720 split means that the PS4 has an advantage of 125% in resolution. Way bigger than I ever expected.

and even if the PS4's hardware scaling is sub par compared to the Xbone's the fact that CoD will be native 1080p on the Quattro is going to remove any scaling problems....

the CoD comparison is going to be a bloodbath!

PrinceKee

I don't know what Jackfrags is talking about saying ps4 multiplayer looks better than X1 single player though. From what im seeing thats not the casePS4 does look closer to pc, but I think the X1 looks okay.

But, why in X1 one version does the character have on a different set of army fatigues? Different camo pattern than the PC and PS4 version...

sh4mike

We need a new chalkboard for "this game is going to prove that XB games look like ass compared to PS4."

Relative gaps should shrink as developers get comfy w/ the less friendly hardware, just like PS3 multiplats. If you're looking for blood, enjoy it early because you'll likely get less each year.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I don't know what Jackfrags is talking about saying ps4 multiplayer looks better than X1 single player though. From what im seeing thats not the casePS4 does look closer to pc, but I think the X1 looks okay.

Huh? How does the PC version looking closer to the PC version and the XBO version merely looking OK equate to the PS4 version not looking better?

Really? That's weird. I wonder why.

I've editted the post since then to clarify (since it was probably bad wording on my part). From the article:

Otherwise, differences between the two fall into nit-pick territory. Ground textures appear different during the campaign mode, with variations of the same texture being planted in the same spot. Neither one is especially greater in detail, suggesting these tiles are partially randomised, much like the soldier camo designs on our character's arms. The PS4 does on occasion suffer from a slight delay in drawing in higher textures, and likewise, the lens flare effect in some scripted driving scenes on the Shanghai level fails to materialise. These are rare and subtle contrasts; otherwise, all lighting effects such as god rays, bokeh depth of field, shadows and physics are indistinguishable between the two - also true of draw distance on minor objects for massive 64-player online maps.

I'm not really sure why they've decided to take this route either.

There was a discussion on this earlier around this post:
can anyone explain me what the benefit of "random textures" is? i dont get it
but I don't think anything conclusive was stated as to why they would have decided upon this.

majik13

PS4 online update bf4

From Mitch Dyer @ IGN: "not exactly in the best state... lots of crashing..it was rough.. everytime we tried to load into a new map everyone was crossing their fingers... It was a 50/50 shot, and that's pretty generous"

Thread was just created and closed with this info. Not sure why. Note they didn't see the final build.

edit fixed link
http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/10/29/where-is-the-next-gen-battlefield-4-review

better than not working at all, like the XO version ( at least for most outlets) I hope it is ironed out by launch, but I expect big issues, especially as it is a new hardware gen.

DieH@rd

Banned
Nice, thanks.

w76ft.gif

Now that is an awesome gif. Vid & timing?

GodofWine

I just watched more of this footage, and the pngs, and two things:

1- Wow at Xb1, not a good wow. AO certainly wont save it, and god forbid they increase AA at the same time, it'll be closer to 30fps.

2- How the hell did DF fuck up so bad, they put together a video of side by side garbage and they ran with it.

3. I know I said 2...Kudos to JacFrag, you gained a follower

We need a new chalkboard for "this game is going to prove that XB games look like ass compared to PS4."

Relative gaps should shrink as developers get comfy w/ the less friendly hardware, just like PS3 multiplats. If you're looking for blood, enjoy it early because you'll likely get less each year.

I don't wanna ruin your dreams but PS4 has better RAM, better GPU, and is at the very least just as easy to program for. If anything it is built for more longevity than Xbox one so the opposite could happen.

Metfanant

if rumors hold true CoD is going to be 1080p v 720p...and even larger resolution gap than BF4...if there is ONE (pun intended) area where the Xbone had an advantage over the PS4 in the BF4 comparison shots is the overall sharpness of textures due to its custom scaler...

this advantage goes out the window when the PS4 doesn't have to scale the image at all because its already 1080p

i would agree with you about the gap closing if the situation was the same as the PS3/360...where the PS3 was more powerful but harder to work with...in this case the PS4 is more powerful but easier to work with...

the results for Xbone games will get better no doubt, but so will the PS4...especially as developers begin to really dive into GPGPU techniques...the PS4 just has an abundance of available resources...

the resolution gaps will always be there...720/900p is going to be the norm for Xbone multiplats going forward...

GloveSlap

Agreed. Trying to compare the differences on little youtube videos and screenshots is one thing, but comparing the numbers/stats themselves is very telling. The difference is huge.

JackFrags Next Gen Review is up.

confirmed, PS4 MP > Xbone SP, according to him and "other journalists there"

Great review, so much better than most of the other media outlets. Game looks fantastic for both platforms. Definitely better for PS4 but it's a case of diminishing returns at this point as he calls out in the review as "little differences in graphics".

I'm getting both consoles so I'll grab it for PS4 but certainly nothing I've seen here would sway me to change my mind if I was only getting XB1.

PrinceKee

Huh? How does the PC version looking closer to the PC version and the XBO version merely looking OK equate to the PS4 version not looking better?

I never said the PS4 didn't look better than the Xbox One version. I think it clearly does look better sp vs sp. From what ive seen of the PS4 multiplayer, I don't think it looks better than X1's single player...

sh4mike

Trying to compare the differences on little youtube videos and screenshots is one thing, but comparing the numbers/stats themselves is very telling. The difference is huge.
Agreed -- you should never trust your eyes for a qualitative assessment of visual quality.

bGanci

Banned
How about the fact that it has yet to be displayed publicly? Perhaps there are a few snippets of video out there and the press has yet to play it.
its about to be on display November first(well it LAN not network)...But also you have no source...so you claim doesn't really work.

Soma

JackFrags Next Gen Review is up.

confirmed, PS4 MP > Xbone SP, according to him and "other journalists there"

"If you can only buy one of the next gen consoles, don't let little differences in graphics sway you. My advice is to go where your friends are, go with what controller you prefer, what exclusive games you're into, and what features you desire the most from a console. That's my two cents."

Wisdom.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
The gap is about what I expected. XboxOne not only has a slower GPU but it's choking on it's memory. It's still a big upgrade over 360, but I'm not keen on another 8 years of this. Once 4K PC gaming is viable (late 2014/early 2015) I'm probably going PC only again except for rare gems on PS4/XboxOne. I'll probably play more PS4, but I'm waiting on reviews. If Knack is somehow shit and Ryse is ace (Crytek is typically only good at visuals) then maybe I'll be 50/50.

I think the PS4 has the biggest room for improvement. Engine optimizations and it's 1080p. There is no memory bottleneck preventing that like there is with XboxOne.

But these sorts of games I'd prefer PC anyway.

I'm okay with this, I just want console generations to be 4.5 years again. PS4 positions Sony to do that because it's low COGS and I think smaller transistors will be available late in silicon's era as the mobile craze normalizes. But XboxOne from what I understand is expensive - then again MS can always take a hit with a correction in Xbox4.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Holy crap look at this thread lol.

I just watched the ign video, interesting how the Xbone version actually looks better than PS4 in parts. The jaggies are pretty bad though.

nib95

Banned
so funny how this thread is still going, and so many people are STILL asking the same questions from midnight because they are not bothering to actually read either the thread, or the articles themselves

and even if the PS4's hardware scaling is sub par compared to the Xbone's the fact that CoD will be native 1080p on the Quattro is going to remove any scaling problems....

PS3 had better up scaling tech than the 360, at least with media such as DVDs etc anyway.

Currently the Xbox Ones scaling is actually pretty horrid. Way too much over sharpening and edge enhancement. Totally kills the natural look of the image and looks artificial. If it's like that with media too, videophiles are going to hate hate hate it.

CLEEK

RE: scaling.

I would think that like the PS3 and 360, the scaling in the PS4/Xbone will done by their GPU. So the 'scaler' in the Xbox One and PS4 are in theory identical, as their GPUs are same gen GCN.

If the AMD GPU causes blur when scaling 900p to 1080p, then we'll also see this with all the native 900p Xbone games like Ryse. Of DF might be right, and DICE used software scaling on PS4. Which doesn't make sense to me why you'd do that in software when you already have dedicated silicon to do it.

Metfanant

PS3 had better up scaling tech than the 360, at least with media such as DVDs etc anyway.

Currently the Xbox Ones scaling is actually pretty horrid. Way too much over sharpening and edge enhancement. Totally kills the natural look of the image and looks artificial. If it's like that with media too, videophiles are going to hate hate hate it.

with media maybe, but as far as games were concerned the PS3's scaling solutions sucked...especially early on...do you remember the 1080i fiasco??

im interested in hearing from DICE about the scaling and AA techniques used...DF seem to feel that the "softness" of the PS4 image is from a software scaling algorithm...id be interested to see why this was instead of the hardware scaling....

last night soon after this thread was posted somebody mentioned that Frostbite 3 has a built in software scaler which could explain the discrepancies...my guess is a combo of that and a REALLY aggressive post processing AA solution...

I agree that the Xbone's scaler is adding all sorts of AWFULNESS to the image...but you only need to reed a lot of the comments here to see that its working in a sense...people are enjoying the sharpness, and they see past the awful artifacts it produces

nib95

Banned
RE: scaling.

I would think that like the PS3 and 360, the scaling in the PS4/Xbone will done by their GPU. So the 'scaler' in the Xbox One and PS4 are in theory identical, as their GPUs are same gen GCN.

If the AMD GPU causes blur when scaling 900p to 1080p, then we'll also see this with all the native 900p Xbone games like Ryse. Of DF might be right, and DICE used software scaling on PS4. Which doesn't make sense to me why you'd do that in software when you already have dedicated silicon to do it.

BF4 results say otherwise. Xbox Ones up scaling appears to have considerably more aggressive edge sharpening.

CLEEK

BF4 results say otherwise. Xbox Ones up scaling appears to have considerably more aggressive edge sharpening.

Why do you say its the scaling doing this? DF said the Xbox One version had a post-process sharpening effect, not present in the PC/PS4 versions.

Unless both Xbox and PS4 use software scaling, and do things differently.

velociraptor

I don't believe the Xbox One scaler introduces the sharpen effect. Nevertheless, reminds me how many people wrongly have their TV sharpness set to +50.

nib95

Banned
Why do you say its the scaling doing this? DF said the Xbox One version had a post-process sharpening effect, not present in the PC/PS4 versions.

Unless both Xbox and PS4 use software scaling, and do things differently.

Hmm. Be interesting to see what's causing the sharpening.

CLEEK

Hmm. Be interesting to see what's causing the sharpening.

I'd imagine that the Xbox version has the post-process sharpening to make up for it running at a lower resolution. It is a double edged sword, as it make certain texture details look better, but will really exacerbate jaggies and shimmering.

dolabla

JackFrags videos don't look washed out

You're right. I couldn't do this last night because my internet was messing up, but I just watched them on my tv (through the Roku) a few minutes ago and the game looks fine. I also watched the gametrailers PS4/PC comparison and they're pretty close.

Metfanant

Has MS tried to spin this yet?

Genuine question. Just wondering what they are saying about it.

no way...they have read all of the articles...they know that even this one is just not a spin they can accomplish...

every single review has been VERY clear that the PS4 version is superior...and the resolution differences are hard fact now...

Top Bottom