• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF/JF: Battlefield 4 PS4 vs XB1 videos/screens (900p PS4, 720p XB1)

Portugeezer

Can someone explain me how this thing of "software upscaler" and "hardware upscaler" works?

I know what upscale means (at least, basically) but I can't understand what those diferente kind means, I didnt even knew that it existed.

Also... what does IQ means? lol

It means the upscaling is done by the hardware rather than software code, although hardware upscaling is considered better, it shouldn't really matter next gen if most games aim for native 1080p anyway. Most TV's do a decent job at upscaling too because they're expected to upscale standard definition signal for some TV channels.

IQ means image quality.

Maybe it's just me but I hardly see a difference. Except for the lighting, which can be adjusted, it is way too close to call a deal breaker.

AzaK

Maybe it's just me but I hardly see a difference. Except for the lighting, which can be adjusted, it is way too close to call a deal breaker.

I'm the same and it will also depend highly on the size of your screen and distance you sit from it as to whether the resolution will really matter.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Either you guys have extremely shitty monitors or bad eyes, I don't know. There's a huge gulf between the footage.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Which footage are you referring to? PS4 looks pretty close to the PC in those shots. XBO looks the worst - more jaggies and crushed blacks.

PC and PS4 are somewhat close, but there's a noticeable difference even to a layman that the Xbone and PC look very different. Not Wii > PS360 obviously, but it's easy to see.

Gurish

Can someone please give me a nice summary of this enormous thread?

1) Does the X1 version look as good or very close to the PS4 version?The differences are notable for most people or only for crazy pixel counting graphic whores? :p

2)What is wrong with the PS4 upscale software? Does it make the difference less notable because it's not as good as the X1?
Is it something that sony can fix in a future patch (because it is a software after all)?

Thanks for whoever answers!

viveks86

JackFrags Next Gen Review is up.

confirmed, PS4 MP > Xbone SP, according to him and "other journalists there"

Well, there you go. After all that speculation all of yesterday about what he was trying to say, this is final confirmation. His videos seem to suggest that as well. Now, if only we can make a proper apples to apples comparison with whatever capturing equipment he used and post that to gamersyde, we can lay this thread to rest and move on!

ypo

Animated PNG lossless comparisons (no shitty GIF dithering). Really shows the PC shittin on erbody
Only works in superior browsers like Firefox
go here to check: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APNG#Application_support

will work in chrome after you install this: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/apng/ehkepjiconegkhpodgoaeamnpckdbblp

http://abload.de/img/bf4-18fbpa.png

http://abload.de/img/bf4-2t5ap0.png

http://abload.de/img/bf4-3oma55.png

Yikes Xbone version has really terrible image quality.

Duxxy3

He also mentions that neither version is final. Both could be changing between now and release. We already know XBO will be getting AO added, which should help. I assume both versions will also have some improvements to the framerate.

AO gets added and frame rate improves?

I'm skeptical.

ref

Can someone please give me a nice summary of this enormous thread?

1) Does the X1 version look as good or very close to the PS4 version?The differences are notable for most people or only for crazy pixel counting graphic whores? :p

2)What is wrong with the PS4 upscale software? Does it make the difference less notable because it's not as good as the X1?
Is it something that sony can fix in a future patch (because it is a software after all)?

Thanks for whoever answers!

I can only comment on one, but yes, unless you're a graphics whore, BF4 is pleasing to look at on both consoles. Go where your friends are/what you want. The PS4 version does look better overall mainly because of the resolution increase.

Seriously?...
Looks like you haven't read at least one of the first 100 pages.

I didn't read even a single page
lol

ignore my earlier post pls

bf4-18fbpa.png

bf4-2t5ap0.png

bf4-3oma55.png

These are pretty telling

SRTtoZ

We have a different interpretation of what "shitting" means I guess. Of course it looks better, but it doesn't look like it mops the floor with them.

Exactly. I just got done with my 1st hour of BF4 SP on PC, Ultra on everything except a few high settings, 2xmsaa, medium post processing aa, 1080p and it looks slightly better than the PS4 version. Honestly, I'm not that impressed with BF4 visually, I mean, yea it looks good but this isnt light years ahead of BF3 like some thought.

majik13

What? It is exactly the same shirt with just a different randomly generated camo pattern over it.

maybe, but looks like different colors, as well as the brown darker strips being thinner and less blobby on one of them. Seems they have a different shape unique to each console. Which made me think they are perhaps a different camo all together. Anyways, its just a small thing, I dont know.

Jarsonot

JackFrags Next Gen Review is up.

confirmed, PS4 MP > Xbone SP, according to him and "other journalists there"

This guy seems pretty level-headed about this whole situation. This is a good video and he does a good job stating that this is just his opinion, early copy, may not have all effects, not a true comparison b/c single versus multiplayer, etc.

I like this guy.

ss_lemonade

zoozilla

Huh, from the animated PNGs it almost looks like the PS4 is crushing some black detail, too?

I also have to question the reasoning behind getting full-RGB video captures. Consoles are meant to be displayed on TVs, so why not capture the footage at the standard reference video levels almost all other media is calibrated to? What's the point of calibrating a TV to reference levels if you're not feeding it video-level data? Ideally, isn't that the reference to which developers should be adjusting their levels?

I guess I don't see the point of full-range RGB for a console, not a computer.

imo the effects, lighting, motion blur, and textures on PS4 is a much bigger advantage than resolution and framerate >_>

maybe because i'm not seeing it on a tv (and youtube only shows 30fps)?

SRTtoZ

This guy seems pretty level-headed about this whole situation. This is a good video and he does a good job stating that this is just his opinion, early copy, may not have all effects, not a true comparison b/c single versus multiplayer, etc.

I like this guy.

Not only is he level-headed, this is a guy ive never heard of who got the best footage of a brand new next gen game out of ALL the media outlets.

PS4 online update bf4

From Mitch Dyer @ IGN: "not exactly in the best state... lots of crashing..it was rough.. everytime we tried to load into a new map everyone was crossing their fingers... It was a 50/50 shot, and that's pretty generous"

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/10/29...field-4-review

Thread was just created and closed with this info. Not sure why. Note they didn't see the final build.

Your link is resolving to the IGN front page. check it.

nib95

Banned
imo the effects, lighting, motion blur, and textures on PS4 is a much bigger advantage than resolution and framerate >_>

maybe because i'm not seeing it on a tv (and youtube only shows 30fps)?

Yea, PS4 seems to be enjoying an advantage in all areas. Post processing (AA, AO, Motion blur, depth of field etc) as well as a resolution advantage and a more consistent frame rate. Much bigger difference than I ever expected. Certainly more than a 30-40% difference by the numbers or in terms of resource intensiveness.

Top Bottom