• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF/JF: Battlefield 4 PS4 vs XB1 videos/screens (900p PS4, 720p XB1)

Myshkin

Xbone looks "good" like over compressed music sounds "good". It looks abrasive and there's an obvious loss of details.

But sometimes the dynamic range is just too much to deal with. Like Close to the Edge (The Solid Time of Change). Compressing can actually appear to bring out details in the case of music in extreme case. That's not the case in BF4, where the higher contrast makes the same textures appear more simple on the X1.

Duxxy3

Xbone version has AA. IT is FXAA same as PS4 version. Difference here is that FXAA works better on higher resolution due to how it handles subpixel lines.

Which means distant detail looks horrid on Xbone and looks better on PS4 where close things looks equally good in therm of AA on both consoles.

AO was confirmed by DICE to be patched in into retail version of BF4

Did not know that, thanks!

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
ibcyLL9DEObrRq.gif

iQXnww9oCgl6.gif

Thanks to God the differences between 900p & 720p should be barely notable... it reminds me to BLOPS2 ps3 compared to 360 version...

Your vision is terribad if you don't see a difference.

Snubbers

no. There isn't any smoothing in PS4 version. What is happening here is Xbone version crushed blacks and sharpening filter in works.

edit: You can do this to every game via your TV remote.

OK I see the PC/PS4 version are the same.. so is it IGN/DF have applied sharpening on XB1 or does the XB1 version have an actual sharepening post process going on in game?

I can actually see the sharpening 'halos' on the XB1 stuff now I look closer, so why are people using that for aliasing comparisons? hasn't anyone got identically 'sharpened' images and compared???

majik13

First GIF is zoomed in more.

I dont think it is, or a very miniscule difference in scale if at all, hard to tell because they are not syned up directly in timing, as well as one is translated/positioned up higher than the other. Though otherwise things seem to be the same relative size, besides its still easy to tell one is higher res than the other.

Seth

Ive looked through a lot of stuff didn't see much specifically about this, hows the xbox one MP look compared to ps4 MP?

So sad that JFrags so easily killed IGN, Digital Foundary and the others in skill and (somehow) image quality. What the fuck is it when a youtuber can do a better job then people payed to not fuck that up? Very strange, I've written off the entire DF footage as pretty useless.

Very hyped after seeing the proper footage. Me likey!

KZ:SF is native 1080p, and I think it's using better AA solution.

You don't have to use ipad, just select 1440p from youtube player. That gives you the original file he uploaded.

Nope. Not for me, anyway. I set it to 1440p and there was quite a bit of compression problems when things were moving quickly.

I had no such problems with MP4.

Rey

Xbox version not as bad as I was expecting, especially the lighting looks good, but the aliasing is killing me. I'm gonna go for the PS4 version though.
Was hoping/praying for the console versions to be similar to the PC version of BF3 on Ultra settings but I guess this is good enough. JackFrags's PS4 MP video's got me hyped as hell.

I dont think it is, or a very miniscule difference in scale if at all, hard to tell because they are not syned up directly in timing, as well as one is translated/positioned up higher than the other. Though otherwise things seem to be the same relative size, besides its still easy to tell one is higher res than the other.
Not arguing against the aliasing. It's obvious that the X1 version suffers more from it. But just look at the sky and the flare, they look bigger in the X1 version for some reason.

Perkel

Banned
OK I see the PC/PS4 version are the same.. so is it IGN/DF have applied sharpening on XB1 or does the XB1 version have an actual sharepening post process going on in game?

I can actually see the sharpening 'halos' on the XB1 stuff now I look closer, so why are people using that for aliasing comparisons? hasn't anyone got identically 'sharpened' images and compared???

We don't know "why". It maybe something going on with DF capture hardware or it really can be sharpen filter created via hardware scaler.

It may be simply version of BF. I don't think MS would try to introduce sharpen filter on every game considering how different default TV sharpen filters settings may be.

Basically if your TV will have already high amount of sharpen going on then Xbone DF shouts would look horrid because it would be then oversharpen and i don't think MS will want to risk it.

So i believe it is either

- BF build, BF setting
- DF botched vid

Wow, aliasing is horrible on both the ps4 and XboxOne. Next gen is quite disappointing.

Only currently BF is confirmed sub 1080p game for PS4. KZ shadowfall for example has almost 0 aliasing same as new Driveclub build.

Perkel

Banned
First GIF is zoomed in more.

EDIT: Source videos of those gifs?

Actually they are both the same just little bit misplaced to left or right depending from which gif you compare.

That is how distant detail looks ingame + compression artifacts that negates resolution difference ( which is still visible)

Links to where you guys are comparing PS4 MP to XB1 SP?

I've watched Jackfrag's videos and to be honest I don't see the PS4 MP looking better. Actually they look about the same, but it's not easy to tell from a YT clip.

Vizzeh

Banned
ib0gOrDzD8ScKG.gif

Different type of camoflage in the main guys outfit...

Look forward to seeing more footage of the single player without the various weird added washout/black crush/smudges etc

I've watched Jackfrag's videos and to be honest I don't see the PS4 MP looking better. Actually they look about the same, but it's not easy to tell from a YT clip.

Either watch the original quality or download the original quality in mp4. Up until I saw those videos I was thinking the game looked seriously underwhelming, now I'm rather impressed how well the graphics compare to high end BF4.

people are downloading the MP4 files
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/25105

bam.

1.) Click on "Install" on the top right of the page. It will download the JS file. You can't install it just by double-clicking it in Chrome because of security settings.

2.) Open your download location and drag (literally) the JavaScript file onto your Settings-->Extensions page (chrome://extensions/) and accept adding it to your extensions. Doing it this way will allow you to install the JS file.

3.) Go to any of the JackFrag's video pages and you'll see the new "Download" button next to the like/dislike buttons. Click it and you'll see the drop down and MP4 options.

5uty.jpg

Big files are big. The 4K files are like 1.6GB+ :D

Vizzeh

Banned
Not ported yet to PS4 by Dice with low enough performance penalty probably. I do think Sony's studios have a working version of their own SMAA called TMAA, and I think that's what KZ:SF is using on the latest released screens, as well as probably The Order 1886 latest screens and Resogun (I know Housemarque devs have said they use their own custom post-proc AA, and it does look far better than FXAA). My guess is it was just not made quickly enough to be shared with 3rd parties in a timely manner for launch games.

Whats the likely hood off this form of AA being implemented in the PS4 as even though the image is clearly sharper etc, I would love to see a bit more detail. This has gotta be a bug or some sort with this TMAA, Dont know an awful lot aboiut TMAA, but im guessing its budget AA

Ash_69

Lmao. In this topic we realise that pumping all that resource into higher resolution truely results in diminishing returns?? X1 looks better to me.

If the ps4 does have extra grunt, they should have used it on something more visable such as fx as opposed to something which isn't even noticeable to most.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Lmao. In this topic we realise that pumping all that resource into higher resolution truely results in diminishing returns?? X1 looks better to me.

If the ps4 does have extra grunt, they should have used it on something more visable such as fx as opposed to something which isn't even noticeable to most.

Become recluse.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Wut? Pumping more resources?

jayu26

Yup, after over 6000 posts, we are still get posts like this...

majik13

Not arguing against the aliasing. It's obvious that the X1 version suffers more from it. But just look at the sky and the flare, they look bigger in the X1 version for some reason.

That is likely accredited to the cranked contrast on XO, and washed out whites on PS4. the whites are blown out more on XO, making the sun and lens flare larger. You can tell because on PS4 you can see more of the cloud detail around the sun. As the flare is smaller.

majik13

It is randomly generated.

That seems to be the case with some textures, but that looks like a different type of camo all together, not the same type with a different random pattern. I am guessing you can choose different camo in SP missions as well? Dunno

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
That seems to be the case with some textures, but that looks like a different type of camo all together, not the same type with a different random pattern. I am guessing you can choose different camo in SP missions as well? Dunno

What? It is exactly the same shirt with just a different randomly generated camo pattern over it.

Top Bottom