• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF/JF: Battlefield 4 PS4 vs XB1 videos/screens (900p PS4, 720p XB1)

Fredrik

XBO:

ippLZwxEHaxql.jpg

PS4:

i443FH28RZlAj.jpg
Mislabeled? The ground textures are gone/blurry on the lower pic.

Anyhow, the differences are tiny and I'd say that it'll be more important to see current gen vs next gen Face Offs this generation if this is the "big" and "twice as good" differences we're going to see between the hd twins. Especially if neither is guaranteed to get 1080p res.

Glad to see the differences are not hugely different one way or the other. Go where the games you want are, that is really all these machines are for anyways.

Complete and total bow to Thuway. I had heard 1080p and said as much... and I was wrong. He said 900p and was right. /bow

And holy shit at some of those gifs. I mean... if you buy either system as you play you'll be happy. But that flip back and forth... is almost generational. Madness.

Hardly

Pain

Banned
No, seriously. Why does the XO version look better? Again, I have a PS4 preordered, but the difference is obvious to me even though the PS4 has a higher resolution. I'm sorry, to me, the XO version just looks better. The PS4 version looks they have vasoline rubbed all over the screen and turned the brightness up to 100.
This is something you can easily "fix" for yourself. Turn up the contrast on your TV.

PS4 version doesn't look washed out, it only looks that way because the Xbox One version is oversaturated. Seriously, it looks too shiny like some sort of polished toy.

Honestly, despite the lower resolution and worse AA, the Xbox One version looks better to me. The colors just have way more pop to them.

Go at an electronics store, and check the settings of those 'vivid beautiful night scenes with amazing colour pop' that you cannot, for some reason, replicate on your own TV.

Nobody watches TVs with their contrast settings upped to a 100.

In this thread, I've learned that people compare static images with different gamma settings and jump to conclusions. Watch the comparison videos. It is clearly evident that PS4 looks significantly better (I.e., closer to the pc baseline). X1 doesn't look terrible overall, but between the insane shimmering, terrible aliasing, lower/inconsistent framerate, lower native res, crushed blacks, and oversharpening filters, it seems PS4 is the easy choice in terms of console versions.

As expected...

majik13

I wonder why the PS4 version looks clamped? Or doesn't have the super whites like on the XO version. It's most apparent in this pic, when looking at the sun. As if the sun is dimmed, and not pure white, like in the XO clip. That is the most notiecable difference to me. Or perhaps it is from the XO version just having cranked contrast. But I would hope both versions have the same white point. regardless.

ib2oi1LrWrikmU.gif

sorry if this has already been discussed.

Otherwise, yeah XO looks more crisp, except PS4 looks much sharper or better when looking at thin lines, like electrical lines or steal beams in the distance. Obviously an advantage of the resolution bump.

CoG

DF post-processed the Xbone version to make it look better? As if their credibility was not already shot to shit.

Mislabeled? The ground textures are gone/blurry on the lower.

Anyhow, the differences are tiny and I'd say that it'll be more important to see current gen vs next gen Face Offs this generation if this is the "big" and "twice as good" differences we're going to see between the hd twins. Especially if neither is guaranteed to get 1080p res.

I doubt it. The top is jaggy city. It's strange either way. They look like the same setting...different time frame.

You've got it backwards. Dice/Microsoft are masking the problems in the Xbox One version by oversaturating everything. It's quite clever until you realize that the game has terrible frame rate and aliasing is an enormous problem. The Xbox One version is inferior in essentially every single way.

But what does Digital Foundry have to do with Microsoft or Sony? I mean, again, I have a PS4 pre-ordered, but I'm not blind. I mean I'm reading their analysis saying that the PS4 one is better, but I watch the video, screen shots and everything and the PS4 version looks washed out to hell. Christ, even the textures on the XO version look better from these screen shots. If you told me the PS4 version was actually the 720p one and the XO version was the 1080p one I'd believe you. How is that possible if the PS4 version is running at a higher resolution?

Kyon

Banned
Glad to see the differences are not hugely different one way or the other. Go where the games you want are, that is really all these machines are for anyways.

No this needs to stop. There is CLEARLY a DIFFERENCE. No way around it the receipts are right in front of you

AmyS

really enjoying the shit out of this PS4 Paracel Storm footage that got posted awhile ago
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Objaswg-Rw

It'll be interesting to see the same map on XB1, but more interestingly, how the water, waves and warship smash-up compares with running it on a high-end PC that has a lot more GPU compute power for the storm, wind, waves and particles.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
My Take Aways

1) PS4 clearly has a hardware advantage
2) Xbone not only lacks in resolution but also in effects
3) Despite the hype BF4 isn't exactly top tier graphics wise
4) Killzone looks a metric fuck ton better than both CoD and BF
5) I'm EXTREMELY worried about both systems seeing a game like BF4 not doing 1080p out of the gate and still having fps drops everywhere.

UNCMark

Banned
Don't know why the Jack Frags thread was killed, but he's posting some wicked footage on his YouTube channel.

He posted a ton of PS4 multiplayer, now he's getting into PS4 single player.

http://www.youtube.com/jackfrags

His impressions video will be up later tonight too. But here's a preview:

iQ176nsPPIQkj.jpg

Wow, multi in this game looks so much more interesting and fun than what I watched of Killzone. I dont want two FPS at launch. Thanks for the link.

Metfanant

Decided to play around with DF comparison tool:

bingo bingo bingo....

take a look at the shots here...which one of the three doesnt belong??...in each and every shot (except for the one getting out of the elevator where the white stripe on the couch/chairs is missing on the PS4) the PS4 is WAAAAAAY closer to what the PC version looks like....the PC looking even more "washed out" (ie: more accurate) than the PS4 in some shots...

unless we are going to argue the Xbone looks better than the PC version...

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
What I have learned in this thread is that it is ok for a 100 dollar more expensive console to have a lower res and framerate as long as the image is calibrated really badly.
You are paying 100 dollars more for that sharpness.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
This thread is moving a mile a minute but this post is such thinly veiled fanboy bullshit I can't let it go.

You specifically picked out the second the frame rate was the biggest in difference, and not a few seconds beforehand where the PS4 was 38 against the xbox at 34 or the second after where it dips to 44 vs. the xbox one at 42. It has a clear frame and aliasing advantage, but jeez man.

As for the crushed blacks, the xbox shot is IN A SHADOW. He's covered by something. Within the next few seconds he walks out, you see it pass, and he's out in the light again. Shown in action here:

JTgp1Dw.png

But of course you know that, you just scoped the footage. I don't even want to get into a tech discussion but horsehit like your post just muddies the water. Disgusting and pathetic.

What about this shot where you can't even see any detail on the gun at all?

ps4xboybina.jpg

The capture is at the exact same spot in both versions, and there isn't any combat. Explain this.

KZObsessed

So PS4 version has >50% more pixel output, higher framerate, better anti aliasing and has some effects that are missing on the Xbox One version like AO.

That's a bigger difference than most multiplats last gen. I didn't expect it to be that big actually, but the majority of people wont be able to notice these differences and the Xbox One version isn't disastrous or anything, it's perfectly playable as was always going to be the case.

Plus i'm hugely disappointed the PS4 version isn't 1080p although Jack Frags footage on PS4 does look really good. I think I'll pick up just Killzone day 1 and if the MP is a disappointment like KZ3 I'll switch to BF4.

oh and:
"There is no way we're giving up a 30%+ advantage to Sony

yeah about that...

Oh before I forget, Albert where's GAF's apology?

In all seriousness the framerate is p bad on the xbox for a launch game. Disappointed in the PS4 being 900p but I'm getting it on the PC anyhow.

no idea what to think here.... digital foundry video, looked better on xbone in my eyes.... animated gifs look better on the ps4 side. I've got my ps3/4 preorder, but wondering why all the fuss here period.... both next gen look good.
Agreed. I will own both (X1 first) so I'm glad they're pretty close. Not sure I want to even see where this thread ends up in the morning.

dreamfall

Its ironic that clouds are missing from all these XB1 shots.

Baha, the power of the-

Damn.

The reality of 720p/missing clouds replaced by heavy crushed blacks makes me sad. Both consoles seem to be doing different things right, here's hoping things get smoother technically as we get closer to launch.

Xenon

Complete and total bow to Thuway. I had heard 1080p and said as much... and I was wrong. He said 900p and was right. /bow

And holy shit at some of those gifs. I mean... if you buy either system as you play you'll be happy. But that flip back and forth... is almost generational. Madness.

The bais is so thick you can cut it with a knife. It really puts things into perspective.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I made a gif for you, look at the gun detail again.

ps4.gifwzik1.gif

XBONE MODE = CRUSHED BLACKS

(As for the fps difference, I just highlighted one bit, didnt say the PS4 kept that deficit all through. Overall the PS4 still holds a better rate despite pushing more pixels and details on the screen)

It does have crushed blacks on the footage all over the place, but they're moving different spots there(think this is around :41-44, yeah?), look at :45-48. The xbox one footage is being shrouded by something as he walks backwards and has nothing to do with the explosion. See 38 seconds for just the PS4 one to be pitch black.

exarkun

Alot of the comparison tool images show a distinct difference between the PS4 and xbone, but the PS4 and computer images make it seem like they took the PC version and stripped it down a bit and said "good enough!" for the PS4 version. So it occupies a weird space visually.

The increased contrast and and lowered brightness on the xbone certainly makes it look cleaner in the nighttime with controlled lighting, but watching the vids it really starts to affect the scenes occuring during the day time. To the point that you ask if this isn' BF4 for the 360.

Top Bottom