• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF/JF: Battlefield 4 PS4 vs XB1 videos/screens (900p PS4, 720p XB1)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Oh boy, the first melt down of the thread so far.

If you think that's me having a meltdown, it's not. I'm getting every console and couldn't really care nearly as much about this stuff as a lot of others do. The PS4 is clearly going to have an advantage and is already showing that, pretty much common sense.

But his post is specifically misleading, and that bugs the hell out of me.

No, seriously. Why does the XO version look better? Again, I have a PS4 preordered, but the difference is obvious to me even though the PS4 has a higher resolution. I'm sorry, to me, the XO version just looks better. The PS4 version looks they have vasoline rubbed all over the screen and turned the brightness up to 100.

You've got it backwards. Dice/Microsoft are masking the problems in the Xbox One version by oversaturating everything. It's quite clever until you realize that the game has terrible frame rate and aliasing is an enormous problem. The Xbox One version is inferior in essentially every single way.

Liha

Banned
HWb79lR.gif
X1, the console without clouds

Esqueleto

Banned
could the reason for the lower res and effects on x1 version be due to immature dev. tools and not actual hardware limitations ?

Similar GPUs on pc perform a bit better on BF3. BF4 is a bit more demanding. Since this is a launch title, it's a mix of both, but don't expect huge improvements.

farisr

Wow if true...

Yeah, DF leaves default color settings on. So ps vs xbox comparison ALWAYS end up with darker xbox image and washed out looking ps image. Optimized setup will not have the xbox version looking that dark, nor the ps version looking washed out.

You'd think in order to do a comparison, they would adjust brightness and contrast of their displays to match the consoles in question so you know, the actual differences are what the focus is on (I hope they do this in their proper look, but won't happen since they didn't do it last gen either).

I have different settings for my 360, ps3 and media player. I'm going to have different settings for the xbone and ps4 as well.

Better video than the DF video:

http://www.videogamer.com/features/article/battlefield_4_which_is_better_xbox_one_or_ps4.html

No crushed blacks or artificial sharpening. Also no terrible YT compression.

Yes they changed the PS4 contrast a bit

Makes for a much better comparison

Considering all footage was from the EA sponsored preview event in stockholm and since all capture gear was provided for them (couldn't use their own) it looks like maybe EA is to blame for PS4 being washed out?

foxbeldin

Ok, at first i was watching this on my phone, and i didn't think the difference was obvious. I moved my ass in front of my computer and wow, thoses gifs !

Excepted for contrasts boosting, the PS4 version looks definitely better, and it's smoother on top of it.

Dreez

Wow PS4 version is fucking beautiful. Possesses a filmic dynamic range you don't see in current-gen probably thanks to the greater resolution.

Oh, and dat grass.

Mung

What I have learned in this thread is that it is ok for a 100 dollar more expensive console to have a lower res and framerate as long as the image is calibrated really badly.

defghik

Honestly, despite the lower resolution and worse AA, the Xbox One version looks better to me. The colors just have way more pop to them.

More than anything, though, this video shows the law of diminishing returns. I could easily be fooled into thinking this was a current gen game.

artist

Banned
This thread is moving a mile a minute but this post is such thinly veiled fanboy bullshit I can't let it go.

You specifically picked out the second the frame rate was the biggest in difference, and not a few seconds beforehand where the PS4 was 38 against the xbox at 34 or the second after where it dips to 44 vs. the xbox one at 42. It has a clear frame and aliasing advantage, but jeez man.

As for the crushed blacks, the xbox shot is IN A SHADOW. He's covered by something. Within the next few seconds he walks out, you see it pass, and he's out in the light again. Shown in action here:

JTgp1Dw.png

But of course you know that, you just scoped the footage. I don't even want to get into a tech discussion but horsehit like your post just muddies the water. Disgusting and pathetic.
I made a gif for you, look at the gun detail again.

ps4.gifwzik1.gif

XBONE MODE = CRUSHED BLACKS

(As for the fps difference, I just highlighted one bit, didnt say the PS4 kept that deficit all through. Overall the PS4 still holds a better rate despite pushing more pixels and details on the screen)

This thread told me what I needed to know about a lot of posters. The difference is about in line with what I expected. Xbox One is 720p, jagged to hell, and has worse framerate drops. Settles it. I don't consider DICE incompetent either.

Decided to play around with DF comparison tool:

The crushed blacks and the high contrast is destroying the image quality on the Xone.

Alright here we go.

Here is the Jack upload vs. the DF upload screens

HsZ7Mhu.png

hSeDiWr.png

Top is the DF video, you can see the crushed blacks

Bottom is the Jack upload, same scene you can see the difference in the wheel black

DF did it on purpose from what I see

There is hope.

Xbox One seriously looks better to me, more crisp and colorful. Honestly, I don't care if they crushed blacks to do it, it looks better because of it. Whatever way they want to use to make their games look the best, they should do it. I almost wish the PS4 crushed blacks as well.

WTF? So you want the PS4 version to look worse so it'll be more appealing to you?

jbartee

Haven't read through the entire thread, so it's possible someone may have done something similar already but:

Soyljqn.jpg

The two are largely identical - you have to really look hard to find any differences, and when you do, the XO stands out as slightly more sharper and colourful.

Boom.

I took your original comparison shot and ran the PS4 side through a basic sharpening filter, as well as bumped up the contrast a few ticks. The result is texture detail and saturation nearly identical to XO. Pretty much all LCD displays will have manual controls for both contrast and sharpness, so it should be extremely easy to adjust a TV for maximal results.

The addition of some minor macroblocking and other weirdness is a result of running the sharpening algorithm on what's already a lossy image, increasing the jpg (and I guess also youtube) compression artifacts. Hiking up the sharpness on a display will result in a much cleaner looking image than this when actually playing the game.

Anyway, as the DF article notes, the difference in texture detail is probably due to differences in scaler tech, with the XO likely using a custom scaler that artificially sharpens as a post-process. Since you can easily get basically that exact look by just adjusting your monitor, I think the PS4 comes out as the clear winner here with the substantially higher res and ambient occlusion.

Loakum

Banned
Best example of crushed blacks yet. Thank you. Keep your pumped up colors, and I will keep my detail.

I guess the question becomes can that detail be regained from user adjustments? I would think so, but people are getting fooled here.

I don't think people are getting "fooled here." The article plainly states the much better framerate and higher resolution being on the PS4 version. We get that. However, judging by our eyes, the Xbox One version looks sharper and has more vibrant colors. Of course, just like in current gen, this can be adjusted by adjusting our tv settings, but judging by the clear advantage the PS4 has in resolution specs, it's surprising we even have to do this.

Kyon

Banned
Honestly, despite the lower resolution and worse AA, the Xbox One version looks better to me. The colors just have way more pop to them.

More than anything, though, this video shows the law of diminishing returns. I could easily be fooled into thinking this was a current gen game.

Idk what to say
isngAyjsXczPR.gif

Ploid 3.0

If you look at the guy's face and hands, it almost looks like it's missing some effects in the Xbone version. Either that, or the crush is ruining a lot of the detail in the darker scenes.

Xbox version has no ambient occlusion, that could be it. Low res, no AO, stretched to 1080p can look bad. Like I said, when I want to try to max out my PC graphics in a heavily modded Skyrim, I try 720p. While it sorta look like how it would at 1080p it also looks horrible because of the low resolution, and still runs below 30fps :(.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
PS4 version seems to be using some very aggressive blur/smooth filter, all the ground textures etc closer to the player seem higher resolution on XO, but I assume they're equal resolution and just being blurred due to whatever the PS4 version is doing.

In the videos it looks like the PS4 has more motion blur. That could be it.

maomao

Banned
Serious? Look at the steps, look at the lights. Look at the jaggies everywhere. All the XB1 has is the darker image which was added via Digital Foundry or can be found on most TV's.

I don't know man, I see a more pop and reflections on the xbone, the ps4 is muddy and foggy. That should be opposite given the resolution difference.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
What I have learned in this thread is that it is ok for a 100 dollar more expensive console to have a lower res and framerate as long as the image is calibrated really badly.

We have a winner.

Top Bottom