• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF/JF: Battlefield 4 PS4 vs XB1 videos/screens (900p PS4, 720p XB1)

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Oh man that multiplayer footage...holy CRAP what happened to the XB1?

9xBb87a.png

...what the fuck.

N.Domixis

Banned
The xbone version completely anilates the ps4 version. Ps4 preorder canceled.
I'm not joking
lol jk
Yes
No

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
If there was a WiiU version of BF4 I would expect it to look like this Xbox One footage does.

SRTtoZ

Honest question. Is this the biggest difference between 2 console multiplatform games? Basically, were there any PS3/360 games that had this much of an advantage?

Metfanant

after watching all of the vids, reading the articles, and the thread here...and letting everything sink in....i have a series of observations....

- PS4 > Xbone: I think this is very apparently, especially in motion
- I'll reserve judgement on contrast/saturation until i have them both hooked to my TV
- The Xbone is a jaggy mess, and i dont usually say that...if i was watching PS360 footage, i wouldn't have said a mess...but i expect more from next gen...the resolution is apparent here...
- the Xbones scaler works well....unfortunately i think they should have toned down the sharpening...the overall picture is closer to the PS4 then i would have guess based on the raw resolution numbers

- here is where my only head scratching moment comes in....from the shots and videos...it looks to me that the PS4 has an overall softer, yet more natural image...more in line with the PC version...while the Xbone is overly sharp....

YET...all of the preview articles (IGN, et al) say that while playing the game they felt the PS4 was the significantly crisper image...

im feeling there is some wonkiness going on with ALL captures here...and when we get these consoles home and fire them up...we might see bigger differences than we are now...

Wow, that Digital Foundry comparison is really bad compared to this.

The Xbox One version for DF seemed like the contrast was cranked or something.

IGN's comparison seems a lot more representative of how the actual games will look.
How can anyone say which version is the most accurate until we get the games? I thought DF had a good reputation for comparison vids (and certainly much better than f'ing IGN).

malfcn

I would make some GIFs but I don't know how to save them without further damaging IQ. GIF 128 with dithering?
Saved something, probably came out like trash.

bf4gjcvm.gif

RayMaker

Banned
The fact that these videos are causing such a stir and people cant agree on everything shows that the difference is minor, with a small but noticeable edge going to the PS4.

Here it is one more time!!

XBOX ONE IS USING LIMITED RGB
XBox One DF Original Screen
H2f7BrY.png

RGB Levels "Limited" - No sharpen added
8ebTRDK.png

RGB Levels "Limited" - Sharpen Added
MX2DEGk.png

Crushing the levels to Limited RGB and "Sharpen More" (one time) for the PS4 picture replicates the XO results!

I hope this makes sense for you guys.

Your wish I my command!
For us dumb bells like myself, what does this all mean now?

But yeah, with that XBO and PS4 look the same now.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Those PS4 fanboy tears... Yummy! You got your proof and you're still trying to spin shit.

Might want to actually read the thread, slick.

Tabular

Banned
I've heard a couple of things about the BF4 capture. It seems that the PS4 was captured in 1080p where as the xbone was captured in its native 720p. Wouldn't this mean that because the PS4 is 1600x900 natively it has to upscale via software/hardware to produce the 1080p resolution for capture? Which could account for the "softening" effect?

That being said the same will be true on the Xbone where its native resolution of 720p will look exactly this way on a 720p native display, however on a 1080p display the image will have to be "upscaled" in order to look correct on a 1080p display.

What i'm trying to say is that if the PS4 is captured at 1080p and not in the games reported 1600x900 native resolution then some upscale processing is going to be on the PS4 images vs. the 720p native capture w/o any upscale processing from the xbone images.

Its late does this make any sense?

I think your on to something, if true.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
i1W78hF2mvoJn.gif

gif destroys the image quality, but there you go. Anyone know if there's an ANPG plugin for photoshop?

Top Bottom