• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF/JF: Battlefield 4 PS4 vs XB1 videos/screens (900p PS4, 720p XB1)

adixon

ihrijghdqxM3C.gif

Serious? Look at the steps, look at the lights. Look how the lighting on the steps goes from blocks on the XB1 to an actual design on the PS4. This is easy stuff man. Look at the jaggies everywhere. All the XB1 has is the darker image which was added via Digital Foundry or can be found on most TV's.

Yeah, If you want to see resolution differences made really obvious look at a scene with detailed objects at a good distance. I was looking at these pics before wario posted the comparison gif, and wondering how the two could be so diffrerent. The xbox version seems pretty close to current gen. Not that the ps4 version is incredible, but at least it feels like something I haven't seen on a console before.

HTupolev

Honest question. Is this the biggest difference between 2 console multiplatform games? Basically, were there any PS3/360 games that had this much of an advantage?
Oh, absolutely. Bayonetta is a famous example, running at vastly higher framerates with far sharper textures on Xbox 360. Not that the rare case of quick and dirty port the other way faired much better; FFXIII has 50% more pixels on PS3 than 360, and the pre-rendered content is heavily compressed on 360 as well.

Sure thing.

I don't really see a difference in that gif, Is there something I'm missing?

I haven't watched the IGN footage, but it definitely looked like the PS4 has some clearer blacks going on in the 5 minutes or so of footage, but not much else. Apparently the IGN multiplayer footage is the tell-all?

AmyS

The most surprising thing I've noticed over the last 24 hours or so?

That the 360 & PS3 versions have better more detailed graphics & lighting than I thought they would, even though their framerates / performance is FAR lower than the PS4/X1/PC renditions.

lol51

Is that IGN multiplayer video labeled correctly? The UI elements are smaller on the XB1 side, but all other images show that the UI is actually larger on the XB1.

edit: ah NVM just saw the the dpad

SRTtoZ

The Darkness was full 720p w/ 4xAA on 360, but 540p no AA on PS3. Plus, PS3 had weaker textures, and no motion blur effects.

It was a horrendous difference. Starbreeze had no idea what the fuck they were doing with the Cell. Shockingly, I still enjoyed the PS3 version though.

Oh wow, had no idea since I beat it on PC. 540p makes me cringe, yikes.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
It means the black level you'll see on your TV will be completely flat black with no range tonality whatsoever. This is not good, especially when the game is supposed to show you darker areas where you are meant to be able to see various levels of blackness. The XBone's black is pitch black where details are lost.
Aw ok. So, with that while they both look the same the PS4's black will show the details - better shadowing and whatnot I suppose.

Now, I've always noticed when most 360 and PS3 games were compared, the PS3's always looked more washed out, soft and/or blurry. So is what you mention the same case with the 360/PS3 comparisons or is that a different beast all together?

Pretty impressive how much better the ps4 version runs while pushing 44% higher resolution.

Pretty insane for a launch game.

"Something something we won't see the difference in multi platform games something something developers will develop for the lowest common specs something something."

Xbox forgot to install the high res texture packs right guys ? right... ?

Im a massive fan of the xbox and either way im taking a wait and see approach on both these consoles but even i can see that the xbox is lagging way behind the ps4.

If this is just the start of the gap between the 2 it will only get worse.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Sorry for the repost....

I've heard a couple of things about the BF4 capture. It seems that the PS4 was captured in 1080p where as the xbone was captured in its native 720p. Wouldn't this mean that because the PS4 is 1600x900 natively it has to upscale via software/hardware to produce the 1080p resolution for capture? Which could account for the "softening" effect
That doesn't make sense unless DF added sharpening in post process, which they'd never do.

Jay-T

does the PS4 have a dedicated scaler chip like HANA on the xbox 360, that will upscale everything to 1080p ? or is it done through software ?

For us dumb bells like myself, what does this all mean now?

But yeah, with that XBO and PS4 look the same now.

Colors on a screen are made up of RGB (Red, Green, Blue).
Each color has a value from 0-255 (off, to fully on). Making up 256 colors for each value, giving us 16,777,216 opaque colors... With those colors we get our pictures.

Ok, so devices can output in two RGB modes.

There is limited, which is almost every TV uses until HD TV's came around:
16-236

and Full Range RGB which have always been supported by monitors.

Because the XO version is "limited" the high end whites and low blacks get chopped off. So basically you have a less range of colors making variations in the spectrum become more apparent and vibrant.

If we take the PS4 full range footage and limit it, it'll give us the same effect.

No worries though, if you have a TV or monitor with full range, you can take advantage of the extra colors that you have. If not, PS4 will have a setting to "limit" it like the Xbox.

Loakum

Banned
After seeing IGN's comparison video, the PS4 version does looks way better in terms of framerate, colors, and sharpness. I don't know what the hell was up with those Video Loundry pics. Good, I can relax now.

jond76

Banned
Except the Xbone version doesn't actually look like it does in the DF video. They artificially sharpened it and saturated the image. That's why I, and many others, thought it looked better initially.

So yeah, unless you have your TV calibrated like that, the Xbone version isn't going to look like that.

Also, calm down.

Calm down... I'm just amused with some if the superior attitudes around here. I'm actually chuckling at me being quoted.

I'm gonna check out the IGN vid when my wife gets off the laptop.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Aw ok. So, with that while they both look the same the PS4's black will show the details - better shadowing and whatnot I suppose.

Now, I've always noticed when most 360 and PS3 games were compared, the PS3's always looked more washed out, soft and/or blurry. So is what you mention the same case with the 360/PS3 comparisons or is that a different beast all together?

Yes, the same happened with 360 and PS3. Sony never bothered to artificially enhance the picture in this way. And I don't think 360 had Full RGB but don't quote me on that.

stktt

Banned
I don't really see a difference in that gif, Is there something I'm missing?

I haven't watched the IGN footage, but it definitely looked like the PS4 has some clearer blacks going on in the 5 minutes or so of footage, but not much else. Apparently the IGN multiplayer footage is the tell-all?

The Xbox One version has more prominent aliasing, which is to be expected. It doesn't look bad at all though, at least not to me. The IGN multiplayer footage seems like the best comparison at the moment.

It makes me wonder what Halo will look like.
I'm going to guess that it will look amazing, and will be much smarter at hiding any sacrifices made under the hood to achieve its framerate and resolution than any of these first wave titles.

That said, exclusives are where the games truly shine and PS4 exclusives will put the pressure on 343 to deliver big time.

Let me know if I'm missing anything

PS4 version has a higher resolution, has AA, has HBAO, and better motion blur at a higher average framerate. Why is there even a debate still going on?

Because in their side-by-side video, one looks like meh compared to the other? Of course, the video is playing at like 10fps. Look, I don't doubt them. The PS4 version has better performance. Better AA, HBAO, better motion blur, better from rate, etc.

I'm just really, really fucking curious why, if they are going to do a side by side video and post it on Youtube, why they wouldn't calibrate their TV's or monitors. I'm sorry, the PC and PS4 version look washed out. Oh and lol, guy is talking about hair textures. Look at those hair textures. That's not some shit like the contrast is too high or the brightness is too high. They look like two different images. I'm not a fanboy. I'll probably end up owning both systems. I have a PS4 pre-ordered. I'm just shocked that I think that XO version looks better. That's all.

Lol

The PS4 multiplayer looks better, but at least put up a decent screen cap when there is a decent source to get one from. You can easily get an image of the PS4 looking just as awful due to compression of the video.

Saw OP videos, wondered why PS4 version was so washed out, gamma and colour off. Come to end of thread and read that it was DF's horrible capture job, all is well. Preorder uncancelled.

The people who keep pointing to that image with the black man's "hair textures" do realise that the PC version looks like the PS4's and what you're seeing is the result of limited color depth and sharpening... right?

Cyrix

Neo Member
Is that IGN multiplayer video labeled correctly? The UI elements are smaller on the XB1 side, but all other images show that the UI is actually larger on the XB1.

I thought you were onto something interesting at first as well, but if you look at the actual iconography of the UI element it is clearly a PlayStation dpad on the right

Interesting catch though, maybe some reviewers were messing with the UI settings or something.

coldone

Better than BF4.

No offense to Dice, but Halo isn't going to do 64 player battles with dynamic destruction... that allows 343 to throw a LOT more horsepower behind other stuff... like graphics.

But all they have is a 7790@850 Mhz to work with.. I dont think it is due to lack of Engineering like cell processor. GPU doesnt have enough muscle power.

Top Bottom