• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF/JF: Battlefield 4 PS4 vs XB1 videos/screens (900p PS4, 720p XB1)

Pain

Banned
It's really not. It's clear that the PS4 is obviously more capable than the Xbone from these shots, but no regular user that doesn't sit with their eyeballs glued to their television is going to notice these little inconsistencies while in action playing the game.
Of course they won't. Most aren't buying two consoles this holiday.....

But just knowing that they could have a better looking/running game for $100 less would be enough to piss anyone off.

avcables

Banned
720p to 900p and up to 12FPS difference is not a little inconsistency, lol.

It's not on paper, sure. And don't get me wrong, I'm not for or against either side. But when people are playing this game in motion 8 to 12 feet from their TV, unless they decide to admire the view and count the stepping on the power lines from 2 feet away, they're not going to be able to sit there and judge visual acuity between the two resolutions--especially because they're both being upscaled.

Sitting here staring at still images of this game is one thing.

Will they also fail to notice the significant difference in framerate?

This is the only valid concern, you're absolutely right. Reasons like this are why I would personally choose the PS4 over the Xbone. 720p/900p are both negative marks in my book. Lower framerates are the worst by far, however.

StuBurns

Banned
Who care what most people can tell? Those people. The fact of the matter is that a neutral party could easily find the X1 version better looking than the PS4 and that is infuriating some of you. It's humorous.
Unfortunately, you're now banned, so I feel a little shitty for responding knowing you can't post back, but I shall do so anyway.

Firstly, those people, yes, that's great for them. There are lots of people who don't care about image quality, people who actively prefer black crush for example. That's fine, I didn't suggest otherwise.

Secondly, I don't really like the suggestion I'm not 'neutral', it's true that I'm buying a PS4, and have no plan to buy an XBO, but I feel my reasons are legitimate for my personal tastes.

Finally, I said I don't think the PS4 version looks notably different, aside from the image balance, which I think is actually much better on PS4.

eso76

Which version looks better is, strangely, subjective to an extent., but technical difference is there. And it's more or less what i expected.

But i wouldn't jump to conclusions either way, i mentioned earlier that GTAIV, for example, was 640p no AA, worse lod draw in etc on PS3 vs 720p, 2X AA on x360.

Also, curious as to what PS4 version looks like if i set the console to output in 720p.

(currently on a 720p tv, that's why i keep asking :p )

Tsundere

Banned
PS upscaler is bad?

Why it says it looks bad and xbox 1 better?

I bet you forcing 720p is better
The OP early states it; Digital Foundry messed with the capture settings.

They over contrasted and crushed the blacks in the Xbox One version while not calibrating the PS4 capture to do the same.

JackFrags footage looks a million times better, because he didn't mess with the capture settings.

orioto

Good Art™
It's a combination of both.
Xbone version seems to have a high contrast (not just because of DF capture) and the PS4 version is blurry as a result of its AA solution.

For me, the PS4 blurriness is a bigger problem than the Xbone dodgy sharpness.

Yeah so that confirms my fears. Total screw up. Bad devs decisions ruining PS4 objective advantage.

I hope it's not the same for other multiplatform titles.
The PS4 version looks also less sharp in the ign vid by the way, not only the DF one.

But again that proves what i was saying long time ago in tech comparing threads. Different teams, different choices of AA, different skills will always kinda randomize the graphic differences in the end. Even if this seems pretty clear that the PS4 is indeed way more powerfull. Now will that message reach the masses... Hope so.

ouge123

Neo Member
720p, no AA, no AO, no AF, and medium details, still with framerate issues in the SP mode? Then they want to add AO? I dunno will DICE allow sub 30fps framerates in MP?

dont forget that folks, we have lots of MP footage of the PS4 version looking just fine. 45-60fps. No X1 multiplayer footage yet.
https://twitter.com/repi/status/395138203075633152
9eqKAYN.jpg

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-battlefield-4-next-gen-vs-pc-face-off-preview
Both versions are treated to post-processing anti-aliasing too, seemingly equivalent to the refined, high setting on PC.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Both have aliasing, Xbone has much more, but I still see it on the PS4 version.
Aliasing is a result of drawing a line across a limited (non-infinite) resolution. It will always exist. The higher the resolution the less the aliasing. Technically if ps4 did 4xAA and XBONE did 8xAA it would minimize the difference but it would still be there. If both do the same level of AA the difference will remain the same, both will just be improved by similar percentages.

Cornbread78

OK so should the PS4 version look better that what is shown in those altered images? I'm trying to figure this all out, but the amount of fanboyism is making me sick..

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
It's not on paper, sure. And don't get me wrong, I'm not for or against either side. But when people are playing this game in motion 8 to 12 feet from their TV, unless they decide to admire the view and count the stepping on the power lines from 2 feet away, they're not going to be able to sit there and judge visual acuity between the two resolutions--especially because they're both being upscaled.

Sitting here staring at still images of this game is one thing.
Well of course, I wouldnt say it will make a big difference for the average joe end consumer, but considering this is an enthusiast forum we DO talk about the technical capabilities and from that point of view... its a landslide.

I love how the FPS is being totally ignored as a PS4 advantage - it's all about how the 'sharpness' looks better on Xbone.

lol

It's not being ignored it's just mostly inconsequential. DF says frame rate difference is mostly 3-4 fps and both consoles mostly hover around 60 except when intense shit is going on and then PS4 holds its frame rate and recovers quicker then X1. Thing is...so what? It's not so painfully apparent that it's a game changer or something.

Ohnonono

So all the resolution stuff aside in the end the PS4 version has a significantly better frame rate? So win/win for PS4? Decision made.

The Digital Foundry comparison is truly a mess. Not only did they botch their video captures, but then they go ahead and say nonsense like this:
But the differences we saw don't just stop at resolution. Both versions are treated to post-processing anti-aliasing too, seemingly equivalent to the refined, high setting on PC. However, this doesn't tell the whole story. As you may notice in our screengrabs, the actual results on PS4 lack the corresponding level of crystal clarity we'd expect of such a significant resolution boost. This should surely be a home run for Sony's console, but what is likely to be a software-based upscale to 1080p delivers less-than-stellar returns, and for better or worse leaves the Xbox One with an often crisper looking, albeit much more aliased image.

There's no way you can tell me you have any sort of technical competency regarding image processing and image quality and then expect to be taken seriously when you say artificial sharpening makes an image "crisper looking".

These DF guys sound like amateurs.

meta4

It's really not. It's clear that the PS4 is obviously more capable than the Xbone from these shots, but no regular user that doesn't sit with their eyeballs glued to their television is going to notice these little inconsistencies while in action playing the game.

Oh really. I guess average user wont notice framerate differences as well.

Pain

Banned
It's not being ignored it's just mostly inconsequential. DF says frame rate difference is mostly 3-4 fps and both consoles mostly hover around 60 except when intense shit is going on and then PS4 holds its frame rate and recovers quicker then X1. Thing is...so what? It's not so painfully apparent that it's a game changer or something.
At $100 less, yeah it is a game changer, at least for the casuals who want the best bang for their buck.

A PC vs. XBox One video from golem.de:

They don't say straight out that they are showing the X1 version due to some NDA mentioned in the article but you can see it's the Xbox One version if you look at the button prompt top right.

http://video.golem.de/games/11915/battlefield-4-grafikvergleich-(next-gen-konsolen-vs.-pc).html

PC Specs:
CPU AMD FX-8350 (errrr)
ASUS MB Sabertooth 990FX Rev. 2.0 Asus,
8 GByte RAM DDR3-1833-CL 10
2x AMD Radeon 7990 Crossfire

They say Xbox One players get medium PC settings...

finally a video where the pc version doesn't use the same gimped FOV as the console one...

avcables

Banned
Anyone who plays 900p on PC will tell you it's much better than 720p, but you won't see it so easily on videos.

There's a large disparity between playing at those resolutions on PC and playing them on a console that has the being upscaled. The PC resolutions will look inherently worse because your display is going to stretch the image instead of being somewhat properly expanded.

PSGames

PCGH.de actually explains rightaway why the PS3 version has such brightness level and it's because of the capture method. Unlike Eurogamer who has been doing this since the start of this gen and AFAIK they never mentioned anything about it.

You mean the PC version? Yes, PCGH.de again mentioned this in the video. The PC version you see isn't the final release build, but rather a "test" version.

How have you missed the first 50 pages? The PS4 version doesn't look blurrier. It's being compared to a version which has been artificially enhanced to keep up with the PS4 and PC version. Entire image being sharpened, a higher contrast and lower brightness/gamma level. Otherwise the PC version looks "blurrier" too.

Watch the videogamer footage. It's not just contrast and sharpness. They state there's a completely different lighting engine.

It's weird to me that people think the XBO version looks better in screens like this:
http://i.minus.com/ihrijghdqxM3C.gif
Go fullscreen and look at the stairs or the statues or anything. The sharpening filter only makes it worse.

It's weird to me that people think the opposite. I thought the vaseline screen days of Playstation were over. I'd much prefer clear vibrant screens with no jaggies which is what I thought this new generation was going to bring. Seems we either get jaggies or blurriness.

derExperte

They don't know which resolution the game runs with. They say that you can see that it's definitely not 720p, but they also think that it's not 1080p They (correctly) guess 900p and nevertheless they recommend the PS4 version.

They recommend the PS4 version under certain circumstances and even then they say 'might look better than on a sub 1000€ PC', not in general.

But aliasing is visible and you comtinue to ignore my posts directed to you.

So what is you take on this ?

Read up, I already replied to you.
And I don't see why the aliasing is important to the discussion, I don't think anybody is arguing that the Xbone version is technically superior (PS4 has better FPS/AA/effects etc) but what is an issue for me is that PS4's AA solution/post-processing making the image too blurry, which negates things like it having the better resolution, because a lot of the detail is lost.

avcables

Banned
They recommend the PS4 version under certain circumstances and even then they say 'might look better than on a sub 1000€ PC', not in general.

That hypothetical is far from being accurate. Any $1300 PC with a well thought-out build will naturally dominate the consoles.

Codiox

Gemüsepizza;87943763 said:
I tried several programs/websites to download this, but it seems Youtube has made some changes to prevent downloading 1080p and higher content. I have a similar problem, when I want to view the videos in 1440p my Flash plugin crashes. I have no idea why, those are the latest versions. It would be really great if someone finds a way to download this stuff in 1440p.

so no chance for us to look the vids in best quality i guess :/

Majanew

Banned
Xbox One version definitely has better textures. There's missing ground texture detail in the PS4 version. The hell happened there? PS4 has the same amount of RAM and it's faster.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Read up, I already replied to you.
And I don't see why the aliasing is important to the discussion, I don't think anybody is arguing that the Xbone version is technically superior (PS4 has better FPS/AA/effects etc) but what is an issue for me is that PS4's AA solution/post-processing making the image too blurry, which negates things like it having the better resolution, because a lot of the detail is lost.

People that actually saw both versions in motion all say thats not the case and the PS4 looks better in every way.

Oh really. I guess average user wont notice framerate differences as well.

They won't care just like how PS3 fanboys didn't care about those minor differences this gen with COD and many other games. As long as they get to game with their buddies online without experiencing any outages like that of PSN, they're happy.

Pain

Banned
Sometimes I question how smart I am. This thread made me realize I'm a lot smarter than I give myself credit for.
Please juniors read a few pages before posting

CLEEK

Xbox One version definitely has better textures. There's missing ground texture detail in the PS4 version. The hell happened there? PS4 has the same amount of RAM and it's faster.

The PS4 version has the same textures as the PC.

Are you say that the Xbone version looks better than both the others?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
both look good. the x1 holds the framerate during the majority of the game with bigger dips then ps4 with heavy theatrics. i'm actually more surprised that the ps4 version is only 900p and also has framerate drops. its much closer then i anticipated - chalk it up to console parity between multiplats i guess.

Top Bottom