• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Retro: The Need for Speed Revisited on 3DO/PC/PS1/Saturn!

eso76

Was just playing the psone version last week.
Those point to point tracks still nail the feeling of cruising rather than racing better than any other game. The scenery gradually changing and the feeling of "getting somewhere".
Me and my brother spent hundreds of hours with the split screen. It was just so much fun.
The penalty for crashing into oncoming traffic made every overtake a thrilling experience.

Was there ever anything like it since ? Don't think so

Who votes this down? Incredible video.

I loved the PC version's presentation back in the day, I think its a shame EA started aiming the series at young teens rather than young adults.

I wish the PS1 version was on PSN.

Respect for Don Mattrick, Test Drive 1 was one of my first racing games.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I really liked how you were more in front of the camera in this vid, John. Looking styling with that jacket.
Thanks. I picked up a teleprompter in order to actually pull it off.

The main benefit is that I can write portions of scripts without having to dig up associated material. It's difficult to plug all of the holes sometimes so having video to fall back on speeds things up a little bit and gives it more of a "show" vibe.

I still have my ps1 copy of Need for Speed III in my cd wallet, that's my fave out of the entire series and still fun to play. I've lost my PC copy though which had extra cars and nicer effects on the cars themselves.

Ridley327

Hope people enjoy this one - I had less time than usual to work on it so I didn't get to do everything I had wanted. Maybe when I look at the next game I can go all out.

Man, if this is what less time looks like, then I'm expecting feature-length episodes in the future.

Really great look into the game, and I'm fascinated by how there isn't a truly definitive release of the game. I actually really dig the 3DO's emphasis on careful driving that was never quite replicated in the more arcade-focused ports.

I got to play NFS on 3DO once, it was at a kiosk in the Mall of America back in 1994. I was blown away. The working suspension on the cars was soooo cool!
It wouldn't be until 1996 or 1997 that I would end up getting it for Playstation 1. Good memories!

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
What was the NFS game on PS1 with the hot air balloons in one of the tracks? I remember thinking that was the most amazing thing I'd ever seen at the time.

Super vague, I know, but I'd love to see footage of that track again.

Snookie

Keep up the good work. Always enjoy watching your videos in the morning with some coffee. Reminds me of much simpler times :)

bobeth

Thank you very much John. I have such fond memories of the 3do version, which I played to death when it first came out. You are so very right about the difference between the 3do and the subsequent ports, and I always preferred the focus on the driving experience of the original version.

Jedi2016

There were a couple of quirks I was hoping you'd mention. (I played on Playstation, by the way).

I remember one of the oddities of the first game was that it didn't seem to want to render the tracks from the opposite direction. Whenever your car spun out, it would suddenly shift to a third-person view to see your car spinning around until you got it pointed back in the right direction, at which point it would reset to the normal dash/bumper cam (I tended to drive in bumper cam most of the time... still do, in fact). The later games didn't do that. From NFS2 on, it would maintain the bumper cam even if you were facing the wrong way.

Another comparison I remember was seeing the game on a friend's Saturn one day and being surprised at the appearance of the smoke effects on the tires. The PS version had what I would call "normal" smoke effects with transparency, where the Saturn had a sprite-based solution that looked very cartoony by comparison.

I do miss the old games, though. Whenever EA talks about "going back to the roots" of the franchise, THIS is where they need to go. And I miss all the ridiculous cheat codes and hidden tracks.. the good ol' days. All that fun stuff is gone now.

dark10x

What was the NFS game on PS1 with the hot air balloons in one of the tracks? I remember thinking that was the most amazing thing I'd ever seen at the time.

Super vague, I know, but I'd love to see footage of that track again.
Yes, it's there.

15nc.jpg

I remember one of the oddities of the first game was that it didn't seem to want to render the tracks from the opposite direction. Whenever your car spun out, it would suddenly shift to a third-person view to see your car spinning around until you got it pointed back in the right direction, at which point it would reset to the normal dash/bumper cam (I tended to drive in bumper cam most of the time... still do, in fact). The later games didn't do that. From NFS2 on, it would maintain the bumper cam even if you were facing the wrong way.

Another comparison I remember was seeing the game on a friend's Saturn one day and being surprised at the appearance of the smoke effects on the tires. The PS version had what I would call "normal" smoke effects with transparency, where the Saturn had a sprite-based solution that looked very cartoony by comparison.
Yeah, I can explain both of those. Didn't have the time to get everything in the video, unfortunately.

For the first point, this is due to the fact that so much of the scenery was two-dimensional bitmaps skewed to give the impression of being 3D. These objects would often change based on the perspective as well. The idea was to allow the game to display more detail than what would be possible in 3D. Those balloons I just posted, for instance - what would they look like if you turned around? Well, those might actually work OK, but things like buildings used in the city stage would not. So turning around the camera would ruin the illusion and basically break the visuals. That's likely why you couldn't do it.

For the second, well, they came up with a solution for Saturn due to the fact that the system cannot handle proper transparency on VDP1. Some games would just render mesh transparency while others used tricks to get around it. On PS1, you could do smoke without issue.

Ivan

Great video.

I remember being floored by the PS1 version. It looked like real life to me after snes and Amiga games :D.

And one of my all time favorites as a game, too.

I miss the times when NFS was the racing game you don't want to miss :(.

And that music was so good for many, many years.

DF retro needs to look at hot pursuit 2 , the differences between the consoles versions ( PS2 , GC , XBOX ) and PC are intresting. maybe it won't be enough for a full episode , but if it's possible..

It's probably also my favorite NFS

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I own both the Saturn and PlayStation (Big box) versions of this game.

It's so weird and different from what came after. Though my favorites will always be Hot Pursuit (III) and its remake from 2010.

dark10x

DF retro needs to look at hot pursuit 2 , the differences between the consoles versions ( PS2 , GC , XBOX ) and PC are intresting. maybe it won't be enough for a full episode , but if it's possible..

Yeah, I'd like to do this but need to grab copies on GC and Xbox first. I have the PS2 and PC versions, which are indeed completely different.

Jedi2016

Ain't no "probably" about it. HP2 best waifu. And the soundtrack... I still have a bunch of those songs, that's some of my favorite go-to racing music.

dark10x

That's the one! Thank you, what's the track called? I wasn't sure whether it was the first game or not because I had a lot of NFS games on PS1.
That's Coast - Part 2, I believe. Those point to point tracks were divided up into separate lengthy chunks and the balloons show up in the second part of Coast.

Ain't no "probably" about it. HP2 best waifu. And the soundtrack... I still have a bunch of those songs, that's some of my favorite go-to racing music.

I know this feelign pretty well . I've said "probably" because there is another that is close to the top and sometimes i have doubts

It's in my TOP2 for sure :)

As for the soundtrack i listen to it weekly.

It's that good.

Fredrik

Oh wow I have to watch this, I loved this game on PS1, the metal music was extremely cool, instrumental progressive metal with super tight riffs, loved it!

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Great video! I remember being blown away the first time I saw Need for Speed. It looked so realistic for its time.

kinggroin

Banned
John, the part where you mention how far behind the PC was vs 3D0 and Need For Speed...uh...didn't match what the video demonstrated, lol.

640x480 20fps 3D Nascar cuts to a 320x240 13fps NFS

Still a great video. Beast level work.

Edit: I still have my NFS:SE PC CD-Rom, the game still holds up today. Even visually.

dark10x

John, the part where you mention how far behind the PC was vs 3D0 and Need For Speed...uh...didn't match what the video demonstrated, lol.

640x480 20fps 3D Nascar cuts to a 320x240 13fps NFS

Still a great video. Beast level work.

Edit: I still have my NFS:SE PC CD-Rom, the game still holds up today. Even visually.
Yeah, I don't have a PC from that era. NASCAR runs at a very low frame-rate on older Pentium and 486 machines. The main thing is that NASCAR is mostly flat shaded polygons. It was ~10fps on my old 486 back in the day. I captured that bit from Dosbox.

3DO was very impressive back then. I didn't know anyone who bought it though. I owned a Mega CD, PC Engine, Amiga 500 and arcade cabinets. My friends also had one or two of those and some bought an Atari Jaguar and Neo Geo. In Europe 3DO and Jaguar released in 1994.

You're showing off your game wall now, Dark10x, nice collection.

Really great look at the original Need For Speed. I have a real soft spot for the original 3DO game. It was a great experience for it's day and I would love to see a new Need for Speed that just goes for a casual drive/ race experience. Those cheesy '90's FMV's are so fantastic with the "X Man". The PC version is nice, but I agree that it feels a little too arcade-y compared to the 3DO version. The enhanced Windows 9x release is the best one.

I had the Saturn version of NFS when I was younger (though I knew someone with a 3DO and this game) and the Saturn port is actually solid as you pointed out. I would imagine that the Saturn and PS1 version's used textures that were pulled from the PC game. The lack of music on the Saturn version is interesting because Road Rash on the Saturn had the same issue too.

I am really surprised by 'Overdriving' for the Japanese Saturn. Really fascinating that it goes back to the driving simulation like gameplay of the 3DO version. Wow. Makes up for the rumours for the JP Saturn version of Tomb Raiders.

Yeah, I don't have a PC from that era. NASCAR runs at a very low frame-rate on older Pentium and 486 machines. The main thing is that NASCAR is mostly flat shaded polygons. It was ~10fps on my old 486 back in the day. I captured that bit from Dosbox.

Yeah, it was one of those games that taxed just about any PC back in the day when being run in software rendering mode. Unless you had the appropriate 3D accelerator like the Nvidia NV1 (which was extremely rare for anyone to own),that rendered in quads...

Clint from LGR shows off NASCAR running on real NV1 hardware: https://youtu.be/jChtlWNIAL4?t=925

I still remeber being blown away by seeing Indianapolis 500 run on a 386. Which was also made by Papyrus.

DonMigs85

Yes, it's there.

15nc.jpg

Yeah, I can explain both of those. Didn't have the time to get everything in the video, unfortunately.

For the first point, this is due to the fact that so much of the scenery was two-dimensional bitmaps skewed to give the impression of being 3D. These objects would often change based on the perspective as well. The idea was to allow the game to display more detail than what would be possible in 3D. Those balloons I just posted, for instance - what would they look like if you turned around? Well, those might actually work OK, but things like buildings used in the city stage would not. So turning around the camera would ruin the illusion and basically break the visuals. That's likely why you couldn't do it.

For the second, well, they came up with a solution for Saturn due to the fact that the system cannot handle proper transparency on VDP1. Some games would just render mesh transparency while others used tricks to get around it. On PS1, you could do smoke without issue.

Come to think of it, you couldn't turn around in Cruis'n USA either so I guess it's the same limitation.

Great video! I love me some old racing games and their history.

Did the SE version retain the moving backgrounds again? I was impressed by this on the 3DO version in the video. Personally I believe I only played the MS-DOS version back in the day.

Buzzy42

Neo Member
Great video, really took me back to playing the 3DO version set up a Virgin Records shop-- they'd alternate the demo system between NFS and Road Rash, loved both games, but never got around to buying a 3DO and now it's probably too expensive to really be worth it for the nostalgia. The game was MINDBLOWING at the time... even if it didn't run at a great framerate it felt far, far beyond anything played before. (I know the video shows this but it's hard to put in words if you didn't experience)

But I do have the Saturn and PS versions (and I might have the PC version around here somewhere...?) -- I don't think I realized quite how different they were at the time, although I remember thinking it didn't feel the same.

I miss the 'point to point' races in NFS and the feeling of going to exotic locales around the world to race-- no plot, no stories, just racing. NFS 1-3 just had a feeling when playing them that's totally different than the later ones. Not to say (some of) the later ones aren't fun, they just don't quite capture the experience the same.

Thanks for this great look back!

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Great video. I never knew anything about the 3DO version. I always find the videos with lots of different platforms very interesting

kinggroin

Banned

That makes sense. Same for the NFS PC stuff too. I was in the same boat when SE came out, my P90 ran it at like 8 fps unless I used interlaced mode and dropped the res I'm half.

Top Bottom