• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Shadow of War: Early Xbox One X vs PS4 Pro Graphics Comparison + Frame-Rate test

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I can only speak for myself here, but my own unease looking at results like these is that X1X will dominate PRO in sales. I didn't think it would initially given the higher price point, but it's hard to argue with these kind of results. While X selling better doesn't mean much to me in and of itself, it could mean something to devs who could then put in even less effort and provide even more wishy-washy support for PRO than they already are.

I don't really have any intention of buying an X atm, and don't want to feel like my $400 investment (which was on top of a $400 investment for the base system) was wasted. I don't want or expect results like this given the disparity in power between the two systems, but I also still want to see devs push the PRO and eke everything they can out of it. Perhaps these are silly concerns tho, Idk.

I mean i think XB1X would have to dominate PS4 Pro to justify its existence, as XB1S surely is not doing that for base PS4.

MS are going all in in order to steal back the power crown and are desperate for anything they can do to claw back marketshare.

The only question is if that will be enough to get people to bite. I don't personally think so on a larger scale, but i've been wrong before.

People who are interested in a stronger machine than Pro look no further, until Sony comes out with PS5.

You say your worried about Pro support, but Sony's implementation of pro to start was anything but smooth. I would personally say that is up to every individual who bought into the iterative machine cycle to expect devs to put in minimal effort, or expected effort compared to the base machines.There is no barometer for hat kind of support they need to give in the first place.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I can only speak for myself here, but my own unease looking at results like these is that X1X will dominate PRO in sales. I didn't think it would initially given the higher price point, but it's hard to argue with these kind of results. While X selling better doesn't mean much to me in and of itself, it could mean something to devs who could then put in even less effort and provide even more wishy-washy support for PRO than they already are.

I don't really have any intention of buying an X atm, and don't want to feel like my $400 investment (which was on top of a $400 investment for the base system) was wasted. I don't want or expect results like this given the disparity in power between the two systems, but I also still want to see devs push the PRO and eke everything they can out of it. Perhaps these are silly concerns tho, Idk.

This isn’t happening in a vacuum though. PS4 is leading in overall sales, Pro has been on sale for a year already, and PS5 is presumably not far over the horizon. People tend not to just upgrade for a short period of time - they want something that’ll last a while for the price. So if they’ve already bought a hey aren’t going to just jump on a 1X. And people looking at a pro/1X this holiday that already has a PS4 will at least partly be influenced by being able to continue to access their existing library.

I would expect 1X to outsell Pro this holiday - launch plus pent up demand. But Sony may be able to adjust pricing on pro if they feel the need, and I’m sure they’re ready with hints of next gen when they need it - perhaps this time next year?

The ram is a huge benefit on 1X and I wonder what that means for next gen. If we have 12GB now for games that are still held back by the anemic jaguar CPU, and are running at sub 4K, will 16GB be enough next gen with higher polygon counts, higher resolutions, richer worlds?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I sincerely doubt PS5 is coming out next year. Sony are going to have to eat the power disparity and whatever that brings to the table

The ram is a huge benefit on 1X and I wonder what that means for next gen. If we have 12GB now for games that are still held back by the anemic jaguar CPU, and are running at sub 4K, will 16GB be enough next gen with higher polygon counts, higher resolutions, richer worlds?

Just the fact that PS5 will be making exclusive games versus holding its power back for XB1 and PS4 games like Shadow of war will make the differences immediately clear. We would likely see the same for XB1X is MS allowed it to be so

Also, bandwidth probably means more than pure amount of RAM at this point

Colbert

Banned
This isn't happening in a vacuum though. PS4 is leading in overall sales, Pro has been on sale for a year already, and PS5 is presumably not far over the horizon. People tend not to just upgrade for a short period of time - they want something that'll last a while for the price. So if they've already bought a hey aren't going to just jump on a 1X. And people looking at a pro/1X this holiday that already has a PS4 will at least partly be influenced by being able to continue to access their existing library.

I would expect 1X to outsell Pro this holiday - launch plus pent up demand. But Sony may be able to adjust pricing on pro if they feel the need, and I'm sure they're ready with hints of next gen when they need it - perhaps this time next year?

The next wave of Sony/MS consoled will more focus on the increase of CPU performance than anything else using the Xbox One X as a baseline. 12GB as we see is good enough to get near PC quality texture-wise. My bet for a PS5 or the next Xbox is that they will make use of the mobile Ryzen CPU cores which will be the biggest improvement, about 8 - 10 TF of GPU performance and 12 - 16GB GDDR5 or faster RAM.

Top Bottom